• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jewish-GAF: Shalom!

RawPower

Banned
Basically, a thread for GAF members who happen to be either Jewish or of Jewish descent. Use this thread to meet other Jewish folk on GAF, talk about your heritage, experiences growing up in a Jewish family, famous Jews you idolize, etc.

FAQ

Q: Are Jewish people a racial group or a religion?

A: It's a little of both. There are a myriad of reasons for this, including the relative lack of proselytism (unless you count the early Roman Empire), limited number of converts (ditto), persecutions throughout history, isolation, and a common Middle Eastern/Semitic (hence the term "antisemitism") heritage among most Jews. These days, Judaism is much more open to converts, but only to those who are sincere in their dedication.

Q: What's the history behind the black clothes, hat, and curly bangs?

A: The Talmud permits cutting both curls and beards. The black clothes are frequently worn by Haredi Jews, and is mostly a tradition they adopted after they arrived in Eastern Europe.

Are non-Jews welcome to post?

A: Yes, so long as you don't piss anyone off, or derail the thread. Politics surrounding the state of Israel are generally discouraged in here, especially if used as a means to demonize Jews or promote antisemitic viewpoints.

Can secular Jews post in here?

A: Of course. I am a non-religious Jew myself. :D

This will be expanded later.

Non Jew here married to a Jewish girl. We have two kids who are being raised Jewish (very liberal though, as much cultural as religious if that makes sense).

Cool thread. Subscribed.

IceCold

Shalom.

In a couple of weeks I will be doing by 2nd bar mitzvah. I gotta recharge the mitzvah so that it's always full.

I'm not Jewish.

RawPower

Banned
I can't actually think of anything to put in the FAQ, besides "Is Judaism simply a religion, or an ethnic group?" My answer is, it's a little of both.

mr2xxx

Banned
You could add:
If I want to be Jewish would I need to get a circumcision?
Why does it only matter if your mother is jewish?
Whats the deal with the "self hating jew"?

I'm interested in these.

Apath

Jew checking-in.

I can't actually think of anything to put in the FAQ, besides "Is Judaism simply a religion, or an ethnic group?" My answer is, it's a little of both.
I think of being Jewish as three parts: Faith, tradition, and blood.

Maybe a little blurb about Israel and a short description of the different sects in Judaism (Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, Reconstructionist). There's more but I think those are the biggest

RawPower

Banned
Heh, maybe someone else should answer these questions, lawl. I'm not very articulate.

If you can post more info on Indian Jews and Ethiopian/African Jews. Always have been fascinated by that part of story.

As far as I know, those are the only Jewish groups who have minimal (if any at all) blood ties to the Levant, or what we now know as Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, and Syria.

Shalom to all!

i'm arab, :lol

Well, we're both Semite, so you can stay. XD

RawPower

Banned
Yeah. I saw documentary regarding Ethiopian Jews. Very interesting.

You could also throw Kaifeng Jews in there, I suppose. They have some blood ties, but they inter-married so much with the local population that they became virtually indistinguishable from each other.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Non-Jews allowed if we want to know more?

I'm not Jewish but I once went to a gluten free, vegan seder. :-/

And ex was Jewish. Wanted me to convert to Judaism even though she never once went to temple. :-/

But that meant I had a Jewish mom for a while. :)

RawPower

Banned
Going in August/September. I'll send you a postcard from Sharon Beach!

You should go to Jerusalem if you can, especially Dome of the Rock.

Edit: Also, Haifa. Fucking beautiful city. Actually, I can't think of a bad city in Israel. I love being Israeli. <3

Edit 2: Despite my love for my heritage, I would never think of getting a circumcision. That has to be the most arbitrary, violating, insane rule in any religion. Fuck that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Edit: Also, Haifa. Fucking beautiful city. Actually, I can't think of a bad city in Israel. I love being Israeli. <3

Edit 2: Despite my love for my heritage, I would never think of getting a circumcision. That has to be the most arbitrary, violating, insane rule in any religion. Fuck that.

Hey, it's by no means limited to Judaism, if that makes you feel any better.

Hello!

Yeah, I went to Israel for the first time last summer to visit family and spend most of the time in Haifa; great city, Tel Aviv is nice as well.

My only problem with it over there is that the cost of living is insanely high.

Stet

Banned
I'm not Jewish but I once went to a gluten free, vegan seder. :-/

And ex was Jewish. Wanted me to convert to Judaism even though she never once went to temple. :-/

But that meant I had a Jewish mom for a while. :)

A gluten-free, vegan seder sounds like the world experience on earth. No brisket, no gefilte, no matzah ball soup. Gross.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
can anyone translate this into Hebrew for me: "Stupid thing must be broken."

I want it to be as legit as possible, so I don't want to use some Babelfish nonsense. It is for my screenplay. :)

Been to those two places before.

Modi'in is a place I haven't been to, but will go on this trip. Heard good things about it.

Jew by choice here (IE, I converted, and yes, my Wife is jewish, and no she didn't ask me to or pressure me in any way). We are pretty damn liberal though, Try to get to temple a couple times a month, and we connect with a local jewish group for young jews for holidays.

Been to Israel once, I have some family there too (Note, my family, not my wife's, I'm the second member of my family to convert heh). I really liked Tel Aviv, Jerusalem was beautiful, but the politics there are dicey. I've tried to learn hebrew a couple times, and I've failed miserably heh.

RawPower

Banned
Jew by choice here (IE, I converted, and yes, my Wife is jewish, and no she didn't ask me to or pressure me in any way). We are pretty damn liberal though, Try to get to temple a couple times a month, and we connect with a local jewish group for young jews for holidays.

Been to Israel once, I have some family there too (Note, my family, not my wife's, I'm the second member of my family to convert heh). I really liked Tel Aviv, Jerusalem was beautiful, but the politics there are dicey. I've tried to learn hebrew a couple times, and I've failed miserably heh.

Hell, I'm not even religious, and I'm far left of center, but I love and embrace my Hebrew/Israelite heritage. I don't think you're alone there. XD

So the first guy/girl in your family converted and then moved to Israel?

You just have to be of Jewish descent, and you can go, right?

Yeah, but then you have to deal with Israeli's. It's also a whoring point for trying to pick up converts to Ultra Orthodox.

American Jew myself so perhaps that's why I have no identity with a country of Europeans who try and pull you in like being added to a Facebook Group. lol

I also tried this thread before with a different title. :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400494&highlight=

Vire

*Waves

Jew here. Not deeply religious, but I enjoy celebrating the major holidays like Passover with my family. There's some really wonderful tradition and culture that goes along with Judaism.

Haifa is a beautiful city, but the weather is absolutely brutal.

I love Jerusalem though.

*Waves

Jew here. Not deeply religious, but I enjoy celebrating the major holidays like Passover with my family. There's some really wonderful tradition and culture that goes along with Judaism.
One nice thing is my wife, who is Catholic, is fine with our daughter being raised Jewish, but we still get to do both. Her only requests was that she didn't have to convert (fine with me), and she got to still celebrate Easter and Christmas (hell yeah fine with me, we even put Solid Snake on our Christmas tree).

RawPower

Banned
Yeah, but then you have to deal with Israeli's. It's also a whoring point for trying to pick up converts to Ultra Orthodox.

American Jew myself so perhaps that's why I have no identity with a country of Europeans who try and pull you in like being added to a Facebook Group. lol

I also tried this thread before with a different title. :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=400494&highlight=

If your family is anything like mine (i.e. Holocaust survivors), they probably want as little to do with Europe or Europeans as possible. IIRC, that's the reason a lot of Israelis went with Hebraic names instead of the ones they had in Europe. Zionism itself was basically conceptualized because Jews living in Europe were sick and tired of being persecuted, and wanted to return to the land they were truly indigenous to (I'm not kidding, look it up).

If your family is anything like mine (i.e. Holocaust survivors), they probably want as little to do with Europe or Europeans as possible. IIRC, that's the reason a lot of Israelis went with Hebraic names instead of the ones they had in Europe. Zionism itself was basically conceptualized because Jews living in Europe were sick and tired of being persecuted, and wanted to return to the land they were truly indigenous to (I'm not kidding, look it up).
See my family was from Russia, Poland, and Lithuania. They got the crap out of dodge in the late 19th Century to the only country that welcomed them from a with the chance to obtain success and free to practice their religion: America. I don't think any of them ever had any desire to go to Israel. None of them left for Israel either.

Top Bottom