• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2010)

nn1qn5.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Online Book Stores

http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Blogs

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books

http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

If you have some good links post them and i will put them in.

!!BOOK CLUB!!

??? <-- anyone know what the book is this month?

Still reading through The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart

61uJ2L-62XL._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

As I stated elsewhere, this is one of the craziest, most twisted books I've ever read. It's like a sick Grimms fairy tale mixed with The Odyssey. Unless something changes near the end to suddenly make me change my mind, I'd highly recommend it. Especially if you're looking for something out of the ordinary.

ultron87

anathem.jpg

Nearly done with Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

If you love long discussions/explanations of semi fake science and philosophy along with a fairly interesting story, this is the book for you.

I dunno what to read next. Maybe I'll finally look at the new Wheel of Time book.

besada

Banned
200px-QueenOfAngels(1stEd).jpg

I may set it down tomorrow, though, because Stephenson, Bear, et al are rolling out The Mongoliad at midnight.

Will probably pick something up from this thread, I need something new.

Though I just picked up 'The Return of Depression Economics' by Krugman.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Just finished

6a00bf76cd5bbc58ce00fad6b060dd0005-500pi

Tom Robbins is fantastic and this book definitely made me a fan of him. Looking forward to read more by him.

Just started:

0679728759.jpg

It's my first cormac mcarthy novel and I'm loving it. Picked it up based on these threads : )

I've got a kindle 3 on the way and bought Blood Meridian, Under the Dome, and The Long Ships (which doesn't hit kindle till December) in preparation. If I finish the first two before The Long Ships comes out I'll probably start on the Dark Tower series.

Currently, I'm reading Blood Meridian on my iphone four and I like it much more than when I tried reading a book on my ipad, probably due to the resolution of the screen. Still no substitute for an actual book or an e-reader, though.

I finished Pride and Prejudice last night. I needed to know why so many women are obsessed with it. After that I started Blood Meridian.

Vard

Kodiak said:
Just finished

6a00bf76cd5bbc58ce00fad6b060dd0005-500pi

Tom Robbins is fantastic and this book definitely made me a fan of him. Looking forward to read more by him.
I have only read Still Life with Woodpecker. It's definitely imaginative and one I may revisit sometime.

FINALLY finished this just before Sept hit:

ff77f0cdd7a0f0eae2667110.L.jpg

So fantastic. Some parts I trudged through because my inadequate knowledge allowed me to be overwhelmed with names and dates and places, but I was into it for a vast majority of the 1136 pages, which is really damn impressive. Just a stunning achievement and a good place to start for anyone looking to get into European history.

Up next is one of these:

762830.jpg
0679734503.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Vard said:
I have only read Still Life with Woodpecker. It's definitely imaginative and one I may revisit sometime.

definitely give Jitterbug Perfume a try. I don't know how to describe the plot in a way that does it justice, but it's just awesome.

I finished Pride and Prejudice last night. I needed to know why so many women are obsessed with it. After that I started Blood Meridian.
Sorry, but this made me laugh a lot for some reason. :lol Blood Meridian deserves all the love it gets and then times that by 200000.

I'm slowly going though Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man and taking breaks with David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Seeing him read some of the stories live just makes me laugh out even more when I read them again.

Jenga

Banned
Melmoth: The Wanderer

Pretty good gothic horror from the 1800's I believe.

after that, it's Musashi (back in ebook form)

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
sarcastor said:
brown.jpg

just started. does anyone know if this book is any good?

It's terrible. It's Dab Browns worst. The previous one was a lot better.

I haven't read anything in two months. I am looking for something new. Recommendations welcome.

Jenga

Banned
otake said:
It's terrible. It's Dab Browns worst. The previous one was a lot better.

I haven't read anything in two months. I am looking for something new. Recommendations welcome.
the long ships

joelseph

crowphoenix said:
the_drawing_of_the_three.jpg

A friend wants me to read it. I didn't enjoy the first book, so I'm hoping this one is better.

I enjoyed the first book more than the second, the fourth is amazing.

cubicle47b said:

I'm in the middle of it. I also wanted to know why other women liked it so much. Still scratching my head about it.

way more

I'm finishing up some requirements and one class is Rhetoric and Writing. I had hoped for the class titled Dystopia but ended up with Women Writers. Not bad, I figure I'll re-read The Women Warrior and maybe some Amy Hempel and Flannery O'Conner. On the first day the teacher explains that there will be a focus on Young Adult women writers.

Uh oh, it's gonna be Are You there God, it's me Margot and probably some Twilight crap.

Instead she starts telling us about her favorite series about a post-apocalyptic United States where adolecents are forced to do battle for food. The class pounces on this and instead of some of the more basic YA literature we're going to read that entire series.

Score!
hunger-games.jpg

In addition we'll also go though a fantasy book about a girl who has the power to kill armies.
Graceling%2BCover%2Bjpeg.jpg

And right now it's a more normal piece of literature called Bastard out of Carolina which seems a damn fine Southern Gothic.
F8082CA7-C214-A1B9-8A7BBCF384B9C672_def.jpeg

FabCam

51IJ4t8CCDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I seriously love Amis. You can take whatever you want from his novels. If you just want a satirical and engaging story, read Amis. If you want subtle social commentary with some really quite dazzling "language", read Amis. The characters are just so well crafted.

Drewsky

41JXAD3ZWTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Just finished this, I loved it. Heard about it on a Radiolab, so if you like their podcasts at all I would definitely say check it out.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
sarcastor said:
http://www.clevelandleader.com/files/brown.jpg

just started. does anyone know if this book is any good?

It's kinda meh. The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were both better.

Salazar

FabCam said:
I seriously love Amis.

He is a superior critic to his father but the lesser novelist.

I finished Matthew Polly's American Shaolin (non-fiction story of a lanky American student going to train in kungfu with Chinese monks), which was badass.

I am now reading Ann Goldgar's Tulipmania, about early modern Dutch culture and economy, and Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.

KidDork

eyeless.jpg

Lance Parkin is one of the best Doctor Who novelists I've ever read. He's continuing to earn that praise here.

Just signed up for a year with The Mongoliad, so I'll be reading that when I can drag myself off Gaf.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
TRYING to get through

32-8_cover-lg.jpg

The book has pirates, adventure, voodoo... it should be all accounts be awesome. But jesus god am I bored reading it so far.

...Well OK... that might be a little dramatic.

I've just learned that when reading a very good book, I find excuses to pick it up. But when reading a not so good book, I find excuses *not* to pick it up. If someone were to ask me "What makes The Name of the Wind (the last book I read) better than On Stranger Tides?" I couldn't answer them. All I know is that I flew through TNotW and OST has been a bit of a slog.

Top Bottom