• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT7| Avaya ever heard anything like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dschalter

Salazar

Australian update

In summary said:
IF Clive Palmer asked for a reaction, he got it. Just not the one he wanted. Two days into his bid to run the game's agenda through his lobby horse, Football Australia, he's in danger of falling flat on his face. Money might buy a megaphone, but it doesn't necessarily buy influence.

The allies Palmer had been hoping for are deserting in droves. Frank Lowy has marshalled the troops and their loyalty is clear. Legally, Palmer might be able to stall the inevitable, but as a football figure, he's on borrowed time. Don't slam the door on your way out, Professor Clive.

First came the rebuke from his own players at Gold Coast United, who didn't want a bar of his madcap plan to launch a rebel league. Then came the bizarre unveiling of Football Australia and a wishlist of grand demands.

Within hours, one of his usual supporters, Perth Glory owner Tony Sage, distanced himself from the stoush. By mid-afternoon yesterday, the owners of Central Coast Mariners, Melbourne Heart, Adelaide United and Melbourne Victory had also declined to join the Palmer camp.

''There are many points raised by Clive Palmer that have merit, and indeed they have been raised and discussed between the owners, and with the FFA on several occasions,'' Mariners chairman Peter Turnbull said.

''But other issues raised by Clive do not - the manner of their raising is also most unfortunate and simply not helpful … there is no doubt that after seven years of ever-increasing losses, the [A-League club] owners' stamina and willingness to donate to the cause of football is wearing thin … the way that this issue has developed to its current state is not the right way.

''This episode is damaging the game I love … I urge all parties to put aside their disputes for the good of the game.''
Melbourne Victory chairman Anthony Di Pietro went harder, saying the dispute was a ''byplay'' that distracted from the fact that the A-League was in good shape.

Melbourne Heart chairman Peter Sidwell added: ''The actions of Clive Palmer are unhelpful and detrimental to the betterment of the game.''

While Reds chairman Greg Griffin said: ''It's a complete nonsense and a waste of everyone's time … What a stupid and mindless entity, and not even the dumbest of dumb would take this entity seriously.''

Not surprisingly, Sydney FC, the club part-owned by Lowy, won't be defecting to the Palmer camp, nor will Wellington Phoenix, whose captain, Andrew Durante, said: ''It's a sad time for the league, and hopefully the FFA get through it on top. It almost seems like Gold Coast [Palmer] have been waiting for this court case - they've pushed all the wrong buttons. The FFA was put into a corner, and they had to act.''

The view of Brisbane Roar's owners, the Bakrie Group, hasn't been made public. It also owns Indonesia's Pelita Jaya and when a rebel league was formed last year, stayed loyal to the federation.

This means, at best, Palmer has one ally left - Nathan Tinkler, the owner of Newcastle Jets. Rebel League? Not unless it's a five-a-side competition.

The players won't side with Palmer, nor will the clubs. Both FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation have also been quick to support the FFA.

It's Palmer, literally, against the world. The football world. Bigger than any one man, who is now looking very small by comparison.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-leagu...almergeddon-20120302-1u8ap.html#ixzz1o2bLYQlX

dc89

New OT - new opportunities.

Liverpool V Arsenal. It's tough to call. Liverpool have won ONE out of their last 6 PL games, that's trifficly bad.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
5-2-haha-570x250.jpg

1316966929043.gif

Spurs: the only team who can make Rosicky and Walcott look good.

dc89

Graeme Bailey: Rudely awoken very early but it's fairly big news. Stay tuned to SSN over the next hour.

Hmm, what could that be.

Ushojax

There's a Newcastle news conference at 9:30 apparently. Pardew for England?
please god

Kenka

Holy crap !

Farfan aus Kader gestrichen

Schalkes Trainer Huub Stevens hat Jefferson Farfan vor dem Spiel gegen den SC Freiburg aus dem Kader gestrichen.

"Er sagte mir Donnerstagabend, dass er im Kopf nicht frei und nach dem Länderspiel mit Peru in Tunesien müde sei. So hat er Freitagmittag dann auch trainiert, war nicht in Bewegung. Einen Spieler, der der Mannschaft nicht helfen kann, muss ich nicht mitnehmen", erklärte der Niederländer die Maßnahme in der "Bild".

Der Trainer ist mit dem Peruaner und seiner gezeigten Leistung sichtlich unzufrieden: "Andere waren ebenfalls mit ihren Nationalmannschaften im Einsatz, spielten sogar länger. Wir wollen Leistung von Jefferson sehen, doch er enttäuscht uns."

Auch die vertragliche Situation bei Farfan ist für Königsblau alles andere als zufriedenstellend.

"Ich weiß nicht, ob er bereits mit uns abgeschlossen oder sogar woanders unterschrieben hat", zeigte sich Manager Horst Heldt etwas ratlos.
Now that's hilarious: Farfan doesn't show up in the training arguing that he is tired of his game against Tunisia and gets kicked out of the team. Futhermore, Heldt doesn't know shit about his contractual situation and even speculates that he might have signed somewhere else without them knowing it.

That's just too foolish to be true.

pappe

Do people really think that Abrahmovic is really gonna pay 13.5m to buy a manager only to dump him just after 6 months and then even pay him 5mil more as compensation??

Really?

dc89

Daily Mail are at it again.

City set to swoop for Sturridge after enquiring about his contract situation.

Its like SWP all over again.

Ushojax

I hope it's something more intriguing than the England job.

I wouldn't fall over from shock if he did.

Someone's probably bought the stadium naming rights. I look forward to seeing the derby live from the Nando's Arena.

Salazar

Daily Mail are at it again.

City set to swoop for Sturridge after enquiring about his contract situation.

The verb "swoop" makes it very difficult for me to give a toss about these stories.

It's a dog whistle for the muppetiest of transfer muppets.

offshore

Apparently it's news that Colo and Krul have signed long term deals.

Really hope that's true. Krul is the main reason we are where we are.

sohois

Someone's probably bought the stadium naming rights. I look forward to seeing the derby live from the Nando's Arena.

If that meant that Nando's replaced the traditional food vendors at stadiums I think that'd be pretty nice.

Also given the lack of 'biggest news ever, world exclusive, only on SSN' etc. its probably something small like the contract renewals that were rumoured.

Labadal

I'm really nervous today. If we lose the game vs Arsenal we're 100% not playing ECL next season. We need to play our best football or Arsenal will find a way to punish us. It doesn't help that Agger is missing. Just thinking about Agger missing the game is giving me a headache.

dc89

I know De Gea is actually improving now but it is bewildering why United didn't go up the motorway and buy Krul. He is mint.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
CvzRom.jpg

On Cavani, Lavezzi and Hamsik “Nobody is capable of buying them, I won’t sell them. I’d only sell for an offer I couldn’t refuse, which would be double or even triple the value of the player.

“I wouldn’t even sell Cavani for €70m. I once provoked by saying his price-tag was €100m. Lavezzi is the soul of Napoli and I wouldn’t sell him for €50m.

“Hamsik? I consider him my son and he is also worth around €50m. My books are balanced, so I am not forced to sell anyone.”
...wow, I never thought this could happen.

BTW I just got to Div 6, I'm definitely better when drunk.

And.. to go back on track... tomorrow against Chievo, in Torino

Never forget (1:40)

*Delneri*

FORGET FORGET.

Milan really needs to fuck up if they aren't going to win with that defense Palermo can take on today.

What is this?
LLShC.gif

You're going to win, and you're going to LOVE IT.
LLShC.gif

Splatt

I know De Gea is actually improving now but it is bewildering why United didn't go up the motorway and buy Krul. He is mint.

IIRC, Krul was injured for most of the last season and wasn't playing out of his mind like he does now.

Holy crap !

Now that's hilarious: Farfan doesn't show up in the training arguing that he is tired of his game against Tunisia and gets kicked out of the team. Futhermore, Heldt doesn't know shit about his contractual situation and even speculates that he might have signed somewhere else without them knowing it.

That's just too foolish to be true.

Farfan wanted a €14m signing fee to sign his new contract for them. Why they didn't kick that fucker out right there, I don't know.

I still don't understand how Farfán didn't leave last summer, considering all the drama between him and Magath and us clearly not being able to payhis insane wage demands.

Don't get me wrong, if we could keep him we absolutely should, when he's in form he's one of the best wingers in the world currently, but with his recent injuries and wage demands that is seeming unlikely.

At least we can get Obasi for a bargain (thanks Hoffenheim) so that's at least something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom