• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Patch for Metal Slug 3 auto downloaded, wow, colors are sooooo much better and sprites are super crisp now. Think I might get Waku Waku next, game looks really fun and unique.

The Switch downloads available game patches automatically in the Background ;)

And so it did. :D

depending what you want, I found that for pixel accuracy 133 should be near 4x while 100 is actually 3x resolution of the NeoGeo resolution when in 1080p, in 720p (which applies to portable) 150 is your best bet

Are you saying 150 is best all around balanced setting for both TV and portable?

Junk3t

Neo Member
I've bought Metal Slug 3 seemingly dozens of times, but just as well buy it again! Do these Switch versions have leaderboards?

yes they do, on the store page, "Players can change various game settings such as game difficulty, and also reproduce the atmosphere of arcade display settings at that time. Players can also compete against each other from all over the world with their high scores."

Man the difference in pre-patch to patch is literally night and day......seriously! Some screens I took pre-patch and after patch of World Heroes Perfect and Waku Waku 7!

World Heroes Perfect
ICQNDvI.jpg

AeX6jUI.jpg

Waku Waku 7

Surfheart

Just grabbed Metal slug and shock troopers.

I dont have any knowledge or nostalgia for Neogeo games but I can respect their heritage.
So Im keen to grab one of the fighting games that are up there now. Can someone recommend one of them? Something that would be fun and that shows off the power of the NeoGeo?

Oddduck

So Im keen to grab one of the fighting games that are up there now. Can someone recommend one of them? Something that would be fun and that shows off the power of the NeoGeo?

I'll throw in my recommendation for Waku Waku 7.

Very Colorful. Great animations. Quirky characters.

133 for 4x or 100 for 3x at 1080. It's actually in the post you responded to in the first place.

I didn't fully get the post so I wanted to be sure I was reading what he said correctly.

I'll throw in my recommendation for Waku Waku 7.

Very Colorful. Great animations. Quirky characters.

I have over 800 Yen in my Japanese account so will probably get this (was waiting to see if they would add any shmups this week), have had my eye on it for awhile, how is the versus? Easy enough to get into?

So I picked up KOF 98 anyway... Playing with both joycon attached on the switch a chore, but playing with just a single joycon actually feels awesome. Glad I pull the trigger, even though it's just an arcade port.

cireza

Banned
133 for 4x or 100 for 3x at 1080. It's actually in the post you responded to in the first place.
If you want to use scanlines without having awful patterns appearing, I think that you have to stay at ratio = 100, which is a shame. This ratio shit is the worst. x2, x3, x4 should be available options too.

A proper scanlines filter should be available with an exact x4 resolution. Which is impossible here (because 3x1,33 != 4). Stretching a scanline filter made for x3 to x3,99 won't bring good results.

deleted

No vocals for me, but those visual! It really is a night and day difference, now the visuals truly pop!

I hope they keep the weekly releases for a while and really dive into the catalog.
Maybe even Windjammers after it's been out on PS4 for a while?
I always loved the look of Neo Geo games, but somehow I didn't play a lot of those games besides Metal Slug 3. I'm pretty excited to play more of them and I hope KoF94 this week isn't a sign of Hamster already slowing down.

It sounds like Shock Troopers might be cool for playing 2-player tablet mode on my lunch break at work, possibly a better option for that than Master Blaster.
I've never heard of Waku Waku either.
Might pick up both once the audio is fixed.

If you want to use scanlines without having awful patterns appearing, I think that you have to stay at ratio = 100, which is a shame. This ratio shit is the worst. x2, x3, x4 should be available options too.

A proper scanlines filter should be available with an exact x4 resolution. Which is impossible here (because 3x1,33 != 4). Stretching a scanline filter made for x3 to x3,99 won't bring good results.

You're absolutely right but going from 160 to 150 on the 720p unit screen made a big difference although it's still not perfect. Haven't tried docked mode yet.

And yes, og res x2 x3 x4 should be available options.

I randomly busted out Shock Troopers and played co-op with a buddy at work using the joy-cons. It played better than I expected with an analog stick and a tiny controller. The fact that I was able to do this at all is awesome.

Who owns the rights to Magical Drop now? Being able to play 2-player Magical Drop 3 anytime, anywhere would essentially make the Switch the greatest console of all time. Twinkle Star Sprites would be rad too.

Coda

I randomly busted out Shock Troopers and played co-op with a buddy at work using the joy-cons. It played better than I expected with an analog stick and a tiny controller. The fact that I was able to do this at all is awesome.

That's great I will probably pick it up soon, bought Metal Slug 3 for like the 5-6th time. Realized the pacing in that game after repeat playthroughs is kind of not that much fun.

Tain

So how are these compared to old VC releases or the DotEmu PC ports?

Probably worse than the former, definitely better than the latter.

edit: I'm thinking of the DotEmu ports on Steam, but DotEmu did the HTML-emulated rom releases too, right? The best way to play these games outside of the original hardware is going to be by taking those ROMs and using MAME, but that's not the most convenient.

Just grabbed Metal slug and shock troopers.

I dont have any knowledge or nostalgia for Neogeo games but I can respect their heritage.

King of Fighters '98 might be my favourite game ever, in any category. I can wholeheartedly recommend that one.

Mark of the Wolves is the game that represents the peak of the Neo Geo's power, so you might want to check that out if it shows up at some point too.

I realize it is the longest shot but happen to have an arcade stick you can plug in to the dock and see if by sheer will and magic it works?

Mine will be coming in today... sometime.. and I have a PS4 and 360 sticks I can test out as well. Realizing chances are pretty much zero, but who knows what Hamster put in there.

Nearly forgot to do this. Shocker to nobody, completely unresponsive to 360, PS3, and PS4 arcade sticks. OS, In ACA menus, and in the games proper.

I know a HORI stick is on the way but that's gonna be a tough purchase to justify. If they bring something like this over then I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

Nearly forgot to do this. Shocker to nobody, completely unresponsive to 360, PS3, and PS4 arcade sticks. OS, In ACA menus, and in the games proper.

I know a HORI stick is on the way but that's gonna be a tough purchase to justify. If they bring something like this over then I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

I'm praying the Brooks UFB gets a firmware update to support Switch. Apparently Brooks are looking into it, so it's a possibility!

Coda

Blasphemy.

You can always experiment with the various routes in levels 1-4.

Yeah I just find that levels 2 and 3 kind of drag on. Maybe it's just that I've played this game a lot. But I still think Metal Slug 1, X, and 6 are the best.

Tain

Yeah I just find that levels 2 and 3 kind of drag on. Maybe it's just that I've played this game a lot. But I still think Metal Slug 1, X, and 6 are the best.

The original Metal Slug really is wonderful.

I haven't gotten proficient enough at MS3 (single-credit) to really compare them pacing-wise, but the last stage in particular seems awfully drawn out despite how cool it is thematically and aesthetically.

Coda

The original Metal Slug really is wonderful.

I haven't gotten proficient enough at MS3 (single-credit) to really compare them pacing-wise, but the last stage in particular seems awfully drawn out despite how cool it is thematically and aesthetically.

Yeah I find that looking back at MS 3, it tries to incorporate so many ideas that it becomes a bit bloated and too difficult. MS 1 had such a classic run 'n gun feel and it always kept moving.

antibolo

Banned
Lack of AES mode is pretty lame. I really hope they'll patch in a toggle eventually.

I can beat MS3 with the default AES settings. Pretty sure I'll never be able to beat it single credit, it's a bit too long and I feel that my skill has plateaued a while ago.

MS3 actually gives you an extra credit over the previous games in AES mode (5 instead of 4) to account for the extra length.

cireza

Banned
You're absolutely right but going from 160 to 150 on the 720p unit screen made a big difference although it's still not perfect. Haven't tried docked mode yet.

And yes, og res x2 x3 x4 should be available options.

At least you can have good results when playing directly on the Switch's screen with ratio = 100 and scanlines I guess.

Peltz

Yeah I find that looking back at MS 3, it tries to incorporate so many ideas that it becomes a bit bloated and too difficult. MS 1 had such a classic run 'n gun feel and it always kept moving.

I'll never be able to 1 credit MS3. I can only do the original MS on a good day and if I've been practicing.

antibolo

Banned
I'll never be able to 1 credit MS3. I can only do the original MS on a good day and if I've been practicing.

I should try to accomplish that one day. The best I've done is using one continue during the final boss (oh no).

(I mean the original)

I think I've never played a Neo Geo game, apart from a little bit of one of the Metal Slug games a long time ago. I fancy a second game for my Switch to compliment Zelda, I will be playing it mostly single player. I'm really glad to hear the brightness issue on the Neo Geo games seems to have been fixed. From what I gather Shock Troopers or the Waku Waku games would be good choices?

antibolo

Banned
I think I've never played a Neo Geo game, apart from a little bit of one of the Metal Slug games a long time ago. I fancy a second game for my Switch to compliment Zelda, I will be playing it mostly single player. I'm really glad to hear the brightness issue on the Neo Geo games seems to have been fixed. From what I gather Shock Troopers or the Waku Waku games would be good choices?

Metal Slug is always a good choice. In every context.

If you like fighting games KoF98 is fantastic. Overall though for single player I'd say MS3 or Shock Troopers are your best bet.

The thing about most Neo Geo games though is they really excel in multiplayer

Neff

So I picked up KOF 98 anyway... Playing with both joycon attached on the switch a chore, but playing with just a single joycon actually feels awesome. Glad I pull the trigger, even though it's just an arcade port.

This is my preferred way to play it, even more than on the Pro Controller. It's fantastic.

I won't stop saying it, the Joycons are great for fighting games, it's like Nintendo knew.

Top Bottom