• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Maxpacker

Nice! I just found a C64 disk drive for $10 a few days ago, but now I seem to be having hardware issues with both of my C64's. :(

Fortunately their is a wealth of information on how to repair C-64's on the net. What issues are you having?

I had to fix my breadbin that was given to me by a friend but it was an easy fix.

Fortunately their is a wealth of information on how to repair C-64's on the net. What issues are you having?

I had to fix my breadbin that was given to me by a friend but it was an easy fix.

My C64c is not playing any sound, and my breadbin just displays a black screen when I turn it on. They worked fine earlier this year. It would be great if they are fixable.

Maxpacker

My C64c is not playing any sound, and my breadbin just displays a black screen when I turn it on. They worked fine earlier this year. It would be great if they are fixable.

No sound could be a bad PSU or SID chip (sound). If you are using original commodore PSU's you should look for an alternative because they suck and often will take the computer with it when they die.

Black screen can be alot of things unfortunately. Could be a bad PSU or bad PLA chip those are the most common things that can cause a black screen.

This guy sells quality power supplies for commodore computers:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/custom ps.html

I built my own version of the $35.00 double wall wart version. It's not super difficult if you are handy with a soldering iron. Works perfectly

D.Lo

I've fallen down the 'gaming related antiques rabbit hole'.

I now have a set of Nintendo Hanafuda cards from the 1930s or 40s.

I've fallen down the 'gaming related antiques rabbit hole'.

I now have a set of Nintendo Hanafuda cards from the 1930s or 40s.

Hanafuda seems cool, but it's probably not as intense or to the magnitude Summer Wars made it out to be. Cool pickup though! Nintendo's early days are interesting.

Hanafuda is a lot simpler to play than I expected after playing it in Yakuza a bit. None of the Japanese people I know have any idea how to play it unfortunately.

Rirse

Neo Member
I broke down and preordered the ossc last night. Got a great Crt with component but not sure how long it will last. Plus I'm dying to try it on 4K tv. No pled but it has hdr and other features so it no cheapie tv.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I finished Sonic Mania. Wow, that game is fucking awesome. I started a new game immediately after the credits. It really channels everything that made '90s gaming cool, without feeling like an imitation.

2191fdb901198b9d0e5269931f390374--mini-stickers-donkey-kong.jpg

i'm gonna call mario this from now on

Having trouble setting up my FDSstick. Using a friend's laptop since all I have is a Mac. Laptop won't recognize the stick. Think I got a dud stick?

EDIT: Looks like these things don't work with USB 3.0 ports. Anyone else run into this issue?

And ... any chance someone here is willing to set this thing up for me for a payment? I hate this kind of homebrew stuff.

Laws00

I finished Sonic Mania. Wow, that game is fucking awesome. I started a new game immediately after the credits. It really channels everything that made '90s gaming cool, without feeling like an imitation.

I was just playing the last Zone act 2. And I just gave up. I got a time out.

I'll try again in the morning.

D.Lo

Having trouble setting up my FDSstick. Using a friend's laptop since all I have is a Mac. Laptop won't recognize the stick. Think I got a dud stick?

EDIT: Looks like these things don't work with USB 3.0 ports. Anyone else run into this issue?

And ... any chance someone here is willing to set this thing up for me for a payment? I hate this kind of homebrew stuff.
Yeah it's likely not the stick. It's relatively eay once you get going though. I'm looking for a write-enabled FDS model to make my own disks now...

Danny Dudekisser

Also, a lot of the people posting in the Sonic Mania thread must complete pansies. There was one guy who was whining about dying 3 times in a level, which he suggested makes the level design bad. Like, if you're going to whine about encountering the slightest resistance in a game, maybe go read a fucking book or do something else with your time.

Also, a lot of the people posting in the Sonic Mania thread must complete pansies. There was one guy who was whining about dying 3 times in a level, which he suggested makes the level design bad. Like, if you're going to whine about encountering the slightest resistance in a game, maybe go read a fucking book or do something else with your time.

They would love Castlevania.

BTails

Obviously bad level design! I've NEVER died three times on the same stage ever. Any game, be it from the NES era all the way to today, that makes me die THREE WHOLE TIMES... ON THE SAME LEVEL... of course there's something wrong with the game!

Yes Boss!

Hey Yes Boss!

i've been trying to get the game you recommended a few months and finally found a copy for a reasonable price. thanks again for the recommending ASTYANAX =) will also post in NES club!

Whoa,

Yeah, that is a very cool name for an 8-bitter. Pretty unique!

I am just now starting Sonic Mania on my Switch. Game is insanely good quality.

Rirse

Neo Member
Found a SNES Mini at a comic shop while on vacation so I picked it up to get modded. Price for buying it and sending it out to bbe modded will be about the same to get a pre-modded SNES Mini purchased from a modder, but it feels more special this way.

Man I am excited to see how good a 1 CHIP looks like.

Man, I can't find a game amongst my collection and it's driving me nuts. I seem to have lost Metroid Zero Mission. Have the box and my other GBA games all in one place, but no MZM. I'm really meticulous about my shit so this is really burning me up!

Found a SNES Mini at a comic shop while on vacation so I picked it up to get modded. Price for buying it and sending it out to bbe modded will be about the same to get a pre-modded SNES Mini purchased from a modder, but it feels more special this way.

Man I am excited to see how good a 1 CHIP looks like.

nice score! It's the perfect console to learn the mod yourself as it's dead simple!

The difference is very small when comparing RGB on a non 1 chip vs 1 chip

nice score! It's the perfect console to learn the mod yourself as it's dead simple!

i thought it would be small too but it's a big enough difference to me. Maybe it shows more bc I'm using a BVM. But the soft picture of the SNES always bothered me. Love the 1chip

TeaJay

I would say it's actually quite major. The 1chip looks so much sharper compared to the slight blurriness of the regular you can easily see the difference.

I guess I should clarify. The 1chip is definitely a much cleaner/sharper image but I gaurentee when you're actually playing you won't notice the difference.

TeaJay

Of course you will. This from someone who traded his PAL SNES to a SNES mini 1chip and had both for a while - it's like night and day. Like before, your mileage may vary, but I personally don't see how one could not see the difference.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah I got a non 1-chip SFC and I can see the slight blur on the edges of one side of the sprites pretty clearly. Hoping to get a 1-Chip SFC as replacement soon.

SNESVersionCompareGPM-Mini.gif

This gif from retrorgb.com sums it up pretty well. In still shots the difference is huge but I still say in play it's not something you'll really notice.

I guess what all this means is YMMV

Peltz

I don't really mind the softer image of my SNES. It still looks good to me. A little color bleed over SCART is still far better than the composite image I grew up with.

Rirse

Neo Member

How hard is it to put the rgb mod yourself? I have no experience with soldering. I tried to do the GBA backlight mod myself, but ended up fryin the power outlet when removing the casing as the screws provided stripped and were a pain to remove from the motherboard.

-KRS-

I think my non 1-chip SFC looks fantastic on my TV, although other consoled do indeed look sharper over RGB. I do have some slight sharpening turned on the TV though. Maybe that helps.

How hard is it to put the rgb mod yourself? I have no experience with soldering. I tried to do the GBA backlight mod myself, but ended up fryin the power outlet when removing the casing as the screws provided stripped and were a pain to remove from the motherboard.

It's a very simple mod however the difficulty comes from the tiny components. Once you learn proper soldering technique, use a proper tip and proper size wire the mod is quite easy!

BTails

yeah my snes is blurry af over RGB

even if i use the same cable on my RGB modded NES which looks sharp as a tack

Yup, that's my experience too. I use the same cable between my AV Famicom and my SNES (Non 1-Chip), and the SNES is quite blurry by comparison. It's not horrible, but I try not to play anything retro PRIOR to playing SNES. I find the difference is only annoying if I've been playing some Genesis or something, then switch to SNES.

IrishNinja

aw my man Laevateinn got banned? hope it's not for long

also i dont recall much blur on my SNES, ill check on different formats though

also Sonic Mania is on hold while i tie up Undertale!

Got 2 sega saturn model 2 controllers for 9.99 each

thank you gamestop

niiiice - what condition are they in? maybe i should get some backups

2191fdb901198b9d0e5269931f390374--mini-stickers-donkey-kong.jpg

i'm gonna call mario this from now on

...well, shit
harsh but fair

for real, damn - maybe interactive mediums aren't for everyone

Danny Dudekisser

My Mega Drive finally got here!

I don't have a SCART cable, though, so it's just going to sit there until I stop being stupid and buy one. But holy hell, it feels good to finally have a Genesis.

BTails

With the recent news that the original Fear Effect is getting a remake, I'v been thinking a fair amount about the first two games. I loved these back in the day, having played through both a few times. They had such a different tone, it was "mature" without seeming too pandering (Though in retrospect, I'm sure there's some pretty cringe-worthy moments).

They looked gorgeous too, with animated pre-rendered backgrounds, and a very cool art style. And I remember there was a lot of hype over the practically non-existent load times for the sequel after dying, which is still impressive to this day.

Anyone also have fond memories of this series? I was really disappointed when Fear Effect Inferno was cancelled, and hopefully this new remake (and that odd RTS like game) revive some interest in the brand.

Top Bottom