• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories demo coming August 10th in NA

Ridley327

Finally exploring the field freely, and this is probably the most challenging a Yian Kut-ku has ever been. Managed to scrape out a victory, but just barely.

TDLink

Is the demo unique or actually like the first hour or so of the game? Because I don't know if I want to play it if I'm just going to be repeating it all again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is the demo unique or actually like the first hour or so of the game? Because I don't know if I want to play it if I'm just going to be repeating it all again.
Seems to be the beginning of the game, but your save data will transfer over to the full game, along with some special items you'll get for having a save file from the demo.

moozoom

I must have been playing for more than 2 hours and still haven't encountered a "wall" or someone telling me that the fun is over... I've been doing side quests, gathering and taking my time but this is quite surprising.

The file transfer to the final game is a nice bonus and avoids the need to redo all that.

moozoom

The characters speak gibberish or at lest a made-up language although sometimes you recognize a name or English words.

Note : It's less grating than star fox or Okami sound effects (I personally don't mind but some people are triggered by those)

They use a made-up language here, so it doesn't matter.

Gotcha. I just saw a few people( from other places) questioning it . I'm one of those players who like to play in English as much as possible. Not a big deal if I can't.

I am excited that everything transfers over to the main game. Gonna download and play this right now.

Thanks y'all!

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
I didn't have much interest in the game, but it's almost a guaranteed purchase. These types of demos make me want more of the game. The gameplay is pretty simple, but still fun to play, and it looks great for a 3DS game.

While the combat is fairly simple, it is quite intense. Fodder monsters are easy, but actual monsters are a hefty challenge, even when it's two on one with you and your monster against them. You are especially fragile, which makes directing their attacks towards your partner or getting a ride on as quickly as possible very important. You lose out on skills/healing/multiple attacks by riding though, so there is a nice risk/reward there, riding isn't always your best option.

watershed

Banned
The game has nice graphics but this whole intro section is cutscene after cutscene. Thank god they're skippable but man this is a poor way to start a game.

Dragoshi1

To defend against powerful monsters more easily, make sure you get the S&S(Sword and Shield) from the shop, get it to Lv2, and learn the Shield move from the NPC near the weaponsmith by doing her quest(s). It negates 75% of the monster's attack against you if you plan/use it carefully, costs 15 kinship power to use.

watershed

Banned
It's a pretty rough start, but once it ends, it really picks up and lets you do more.

That's good to know. I'll give the demo a further try later.

Is this your first JRPG?

No. This game is especially bad. The game feels like it's designed for kids who think cutscenes are special so it goes from 1 to another with almost no gameplay in between, some of them are literally back to back cutscenes.

That's good to know. I'll give the demo a further try later.

No. This game is especially bad. The game feels like it's designed for kids who think cutscenes are special so it goes from 1 to another with almost no gameplay in between, some of them are literally back to back cutscenes.
It's really not that bad, there's the opening movie, one CG cutscene at the beginning, then another in engine that basically establishes the story of the game after you've been in control for a bit. All in all its like...15 minutes.

And it is a game primarily for kids, it's a mixed media franchise.

watershed

Banned
It's really not that bad, there's the opening movie, one CG cutscene at the beginning, then another in engine that basically establishes the story of the game after you've been in control for a bit. All in all its like...15 minutes.

And it is a game primarily for kids, it's a mixed media franchise.

There's definitely more than that. I'm talking about every time you get the "hold start to skip" prompt. Every one of those are what I consider a cutscene and there are easily 5+ before you are in the big green field hunting on your own.

Camjo-Z

Dang, this demo is a lot bigger than I expected. The combat seems kind of easy so far but I really like the graphical style and how accurate all of the details are to MH. The cutscenes are also surprisingly well animated, even though I originally didn't like Navirou's design I immediately did a 180º on him after seeing his wacky introduction. Definitely getting this at launch.

Had a much better time with the demo than I expected. Went from not caring about the game at all (even if I do find the art cute), to a definite purchase.

The demo was bigger than I expected, and I grinded for a while since I knew the data would carry over to save my future self some time. The combat is fine, nothing amazing but I like the animations and riding/double attacks so that works (how do combos work though?).

Did the female character I usually do, except this time with a heart(!), and I am very happy with the way she looks (didn't even look at the male character at all since I didn't expect to particularly like either anyway).

Got a Kut-Ku from an egg, it's still as adorable as ever so I'm glad I did.

Edit;
That story intro though... damn. I didn't check out anything about the japanese release, so I was surprised that the story was a bit dark.

Yeah came in blind too so what happened there actually threw me through a loop for a bit.

Jacobson

That story intro though... damn. I didn't check out anything about the japanese release, so I was surprised that the story was a bit dark.

Thores

How many hours to clear the demo?
I got to the endpoint at almost exactly the six hour mark. It's worth noting that I completed nearly every sidequest and also just wandered around some, but this demo is still beefy as hell.

I don't really care about the Monster Hunter franchise, but this demo has sold me on Stories. It is a guaranteed purchase in September.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this demo. It does have one huge problem though, Nargy should not be portrayed as a villain.

Nargacuga-love-shadownightwing-39780818-500-375.png

I got to the endpoint at almost exactly the six hour mark. It's worth noting that I completed nearly every sidequest and also just wandered around some, but this demo is still beefy as hell.

I don't really care about the Monster Hunter franchise, but this demo has sold me on Stories. It is a guaranteed purchase in September.
Awesome. Can't wait to play it this weekend.

Ridley327

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this demo. It does have one huge problem though, Nargy should not be portrayed as a villain.

Nargacuga-love-shadownightwing-39780818-500-375.png

It's OK. He's clearly a first arc villain, and those tend to swing back to the side of good before too long.

Doopliss

I didn't expect this to have different content from the Japanese demo. That one opened with the Navirou introduction scene, then dumped you into a snowy area where you could freely explore and battle, and gave you various monsters to ride and equipment to try out.

nubbe

I'm thinking about remaking my character into a female and call her Daenerys
Silly that you can't remake it at will... it's a game.. come on

Demo looks fantastic but the unlocked framerate is a bit distracting with how much it jumps around. Is it limited to 30 on a regular 3DS?

Delio

Had a lot of fun with the Demo. Totally going to pick it up. I want me a Zinogre friend to ride around on!

Tho i did notice some pop in and random slowdowns. Probably because im playing on a old 3DS XL.

ggx2ac

Got a second Aptonoth and I was thinking, "If only I could fuse them."

I don't know yet what you can do with duplicates.

Lizardus

I've been following this game since it released in Japan. Sad that it didn't do well despite Capcom even making an anime for it. I like the over the top moves and the fact that you can change the elemental properties of monsters.

Edit: For anyone wanting to check the game out, Apex gaming is making a series of guides.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3xyNuIKLKU

ggx2ac

I've been following this game since it released in Japan. Sad that it didn't do well despite Capcom even making an anime for it. I like the over the top moves and the fact that you can change the elemental properties of monsters.

And there's an Amiibo line but it's not coming to the west.

Lizardus

And there's an Amiibo line but it's not coming to the west.

I can see why it didn't resonate with the MH crowd: the game play is a total departure from the series norm. Did any of the other spin-offs, including the mobile ones, sell well? Don't know what audience Capcom was targeting with this.

ggx2ac

I can see why it didn't resonate with the MH crowd: the game play is a total departure from the series norm. Did any of the other spin-offs, including the mobile ones, sell well? Don't know what audience Capcom was targeting with this.

They were going for the kid's market. They did it before and failed extremely with their game Gaist Crusher which even had an anime to promote it.

Technically, Monster Hunter Stories did better than the 50k sales Gaist Crusher did but it was probably still below Capcom's expectations of trying to succeed in the kid's market.

Ridley327

I feel like that this game would have fared a lot better had it not been part of a larger multimedia strategy, which is a very difficult market to penetrate in Japan. Heck, for as successful as Yokai Watch has been, Level 5 had to crawl over many of its own corpses of other failed multimedia properties to be able to get there. I feel like that it would have been a smarter play to treat this solely as a new fork for the series without tying it down to anything else, and then see where it could go from there. It's easy to forget that at one point, Pokémon wasn't Pokémon right from the jump.

Glass Rebel

Finished at 5h with almost all sidequests done and all possible monsters hatched (
Apotonoth, Velocidrome, Arzuros, Yian Kut-Ku, Blue Yian Kut-Ku
).

I liked it better than I expected. The production values are A1 as expected from this franchise and from what I can tell there's quite a bit of content. Combat is simple but has some nice subsystems that should make it worthwhile. It's not nearly as complex as Pokémon but it should be fine. I'm not sure how it's gonna be in the full game but I find the egg hatching mechanic to be unnecessarily obscure so far. Otherwise, it's pretty cool. Will probably get it day 1.

There's definitely more than that. I'm talking about every time you get the "hold start to skip" prompt. Every one of those are what I consider a cutscene and there are easily 5+ before you are in the big green field hunting on your own.
You mean characters talking with text? Yeah, it's an RPG, that's gonna happen.

Top Bottom