• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 2017 the best year for games since 1998?

GamerJM

Banned
Why? These months won't erase all the good games that came out. That and games like Super Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein II have tons if potential.

They won't, but all of my favorite years of gaming had really strong Q4s. During the Q1 of this year I was like "This year is really damn good.....for being so early in a year. But if this was holiday season it'd be pretty standard". If the last few months of this year aren't that great it won't be all too different from a standard year, just with the Q1 and Q4 released swapped around, IMO.

I'm cautiously optimistic for Super Mario Odyssey. It looks amazing but both Mario 64 and Sunshine were steps away from what I liked about the 2D games. I'm glad Nintendo is making another game in that vein if only because it's a breath of fresh air, but it might not be something I'll actually really like a whole lot. It's also one game; quantity is a lot more important to me when judging years of gaming, which is part of why I hold the 2000s in such high regard (the golden age of mid-tiers).

I don't really play FPS games outside of a small handful so I have very little interest in Wolfenstein.

Sanctuary

Also many titles that were originally coming out this year like Ni No Kuni 2 have been delayed to next year

That's nice. First time I'm hearing about it. :(

2016 was amazing. Hyper Light Drifter, DOOM, Dishonored 2, new deus ex. great year.

Yes, it was great if you're really into first-person (or first-person/third-person hybrids) shooters. For those that aren't, it wasn't a good year.

redfox088

Banned
It has been an amazing year for games, no doubt about it, but I think 2004 was better. We haven't had anything that touches the greatness of GTA: San Andreas/Half-Life 2/MGS 3/Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door/Pro Evo 4 imo. That's an exceptional combo of games that I don't think 2017 comes close to, as good as it is.
You're sick

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
We got not one but two games from Arkane this year (Prey and Dishonored Death of the Outsider) so yeah its been a pretty good year.

Dr.Phibes

Not interested in a single game OP mentioned. The only 2017 releases I bought so far are Gorn and Cook, Serve, Delicious!2!!

1999, 2001, and 2013 were better than 1998 as well.

2f9fa7605285003.jpg

Nothing was better than 1998 and its not possible to ever be. Not for consoles maybe, but PC was inventing,defining, redefining and shaping the history of gaming in that year.

Neff

Personally yes. I got/am getting high quality, years-in-the-making instalments in my favourite franchises- Resident Evil, Zelda, Mario and Metroid, including additions to increasingly strong new franchises like Splatoon and The Evil Within.

It's been like non-stop Christmas.

Nothing was better than 1998 and its not possible to ever be. Not for consoles maybe, but

'98 was one of the strongest years in memory for console owners too.

Personally yes. I got/am getting high quality, years-in-the-making instalments in my favourite franchises- Resident Evil, Zelda, Mario and Metroid, including additions to increasingly strong new franchises like Splatoon and The Evil Within.

It's been like non-stop Christmas.

'98 was one of the strongest years in memory for console owners too.

Other than Metal Gear Solid and Ocarina of Time i dont think there was another game of these two's caliber on consoles. The type of games that shape the medium. Sure, people list a number of games that they liked, but they seem to be just nice games that people enjoyed, then moven on.

Best since 2007 IMO if what we expect to be good the rest of the way ends up that way.

2007 vs 2017 is pretty interesting to me.

Neff

Other than Metal Gear Solid and Ocarina of Time i dont think there was another game of these two's caliber on consoles. The type of games that shape the medium. Sure, people list a number of games that they liked, but they seem to be just nice games that people enjoyed, then moven on.

GoldenEye 007 and MGS are obvious yes, but Resident Evil 2 and Tekken 3 were both absolutely phenomenal titles. Xenogears, Banjo Kazooie, Radiant Silvergun, Dreamcast...

I wasn't positing a 'this library versus that library' argument (I can't because none of the games you mention interest me), merely confirming a very well-deserved reverence for that year among console gamers.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well, the games I played this year I'd rate as follows:

- Prey (10/10)
- Resident Evil VII (9/10)
- Horizon: Zero Dawn (9/10)
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (9/10)
- Uncharted: Lost Legacy (9/10)
- What Remains of Edith Finch (8/10)
- Crash Bandicoot Remaster (6/10)
- Mass Effect Andromeda (4/10)

That is one pretty darn good year for me so far - and not only are Evil Within 2 and Assassin's Creed Origins still upcoming but I had to leave tons of great games aside. Like Zelda, Persona, Yakuza, Nier etc. I just hope I can squeeze in Metroid and Mario somewhere in the coming months.

I sure can't remember when was the last time a gaming year was this good.

Melchiah

Nothing was better than 1998 and its not possible to ever be. Not for consoles maybe, but PC was inventing,defining, redefining and shaping the history of gaming in that year.

There's always someone who thinks his opinion is better than everyone else's. The thing is, there wasn't much outside of Resident Evil 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Tomb Raider 3 that interested me on the PS1, and TR3 wasn't really that good. What improved 1998 for me, was that I returned to gaming then and played several games from 1995-97, like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII, Tomb Raider 1+2, and WipEout +2097.

EDIT:

1999's games like Silent Hill and Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver are still among my all-time favorites, which is something I can't say about Half-Life for example. What's meaningful to someone, isn't the same for everyone.

I mean, one of the games you posted to make the case for 1998 was Jazz Jackrabbit 2. 1998 wasn't just a great year because of revolutionary games like OoT and Half-Life.

Lusankya

I agree that on PC 1998 was probably the strongest year I ever experienced. Not only great games, but genre defining games. Only bad thing about it is that I was 14 at the time and didn't really have enough money to get all these great games.

For consoles 2017 is probably my favorite year, though.

Yes, it was great if you're really into first-person (or first-person/third-person hybrids) shooters. For those that aren't, it wasn't a good year.

It was. Hitman is one of the GOAT stealth games, The Witness is amazing, Forza Horizon 3 is a racing classic, there's Inside, Dishonored 2, Dark Souls 3, Thumper, The Last Guardian and so on.

2015, 2016 and 2017 have all been amazing years for gaming really.

Kindekuma

Banned
2017 is the 2002 of video games which is comparable to 2004 being the 1998 and 1998 being the 2007 of 2015.

Edit: Wait shit.

Anyway. 2017 is as good of a year for games like 2002 was.
I think 2004 is closest to 1998 in terms of quality, and 2015 was the 2007 of releases.

redfox088

Banned
2f9fa7605285003.jpg

I'll give you that on the PC side of things. IMO 2017 is the best year in gaming to me only mired by the fact that RDR2 was delayed.

silva1991

This year is fantastic. It would have been shit without exclusives tho for my taste. PS4 exclusives in the first half and Switch in the second half.

I only bought and cared for three multiplats RE, Ys 8 and Nier.

Gilby

YU8tHvo.gif

Aside from the stuff already mentioned, we also just got Absolver! Best new take on fighting games since SSB. (I'm so in love with this game right now)

Vertti

2015 is probably the best year in 2010s. Bloodborne, Undertale, Ori and the Blind Forest, Rocket League, Metal Gear Solid 5 and so on. It was also great year from Nintendo with likes of Captain Toad, Yoshi's WW, Splatoon, Majora's Mask 3D, Super Mario Maker and Xenoblade X. And I haven't even played Witcher 3 yet.

Last year was pretty damn good too. I've played 31 titles released in 2016 which is more than from any other year. Doom, The Witness, Ratchet & Clank, Hyper Light Drifter, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Dark Souls 3 etc. are great games. Though 2016 was really poor from Nintendo.

2017 is so far worse than 2016. I think it will surpass it in the end just because of Super Mario Odyssey alone. Zelda was dissapointment for me being my least favourite 3D Zelda. Though I loved Persona 5, Hollow Knight and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Nioh, Nier: Automata and Uncharted: Lost Legacy have all been great too.

xviper

2017 is not even the best year of this generation

2015 is still the best of this generation, we got Witcher 3, Witcher 3: hearts of stone, MGS V, Bloodborne, Rise of tomb raider, Halo 5, Fallout 4, Life is strange, Rocket league, Undertale, Ori and the blind forest and more

of course 2017 is an amazing year, we got Zelda, Yakuza 0, RE7, Destiny 2, Horizon, and more, but still, the games are not as epic as 2015's

what i noticed since 2011 is that there is a cycle, an amazing year then a boring year and repeat, 2011 was amazing, 2012 was bad, 2013 was amazing, 2014 was bad, 2015 was amazing, 2016 was bad, 2017 is amazing, will see what 2018 got

2017 is not even the best year of this generation

2015 is still the best of this generation, we got Witcher 3, Witcher 3: hearts of stone, MGS V, Bloodborne, Rise of tomb raider, Halo 5, Fallout 4, Life is strange, Rocket league, Undertale, Ori and the blind forest and more

of course 2017 is an amazing year, we got Zelda, Yakuza 0, RE7, Destiny 2, Horizon, and more, but still, the games are not as epic as 2015's

what i noticed since 2011 is that there is a cycle, an amazing year then a boring year and repeat, 2011 was amazing, 2012 was bad, 2013 was amazing, 2014 was bad, 2015 was amazing, 2016 was bad, 2017 is amazing, will see what 2018 got

2016 wasn't bad at all though.

Top Bottom