• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Famicom Mini Trailer posted by Nintendo Japan

Toparaman

Banned
It shows the last 30 seconds or so of your gameplay for each save game.
It's not the CPU, it's your own recorded footage, kind of like how the PS4 automatically shows the last 15 minutes of your gameplay when you press the Share button.
Ah, thank you.

Luigiv

Not sure, but I'm willing to bet 720p. It has something to do with 240 being a factor of 720, but not a factor of 1080. So 240p scales more cleanly to 720p. That's my rough understanding.
Nope. The reason the NES classic was limitted to 720p was because of the SoC it used. I imagine the SNES mini will use the same hardware, so it'll probably have the same limit.

Phoenixus

Looking forward to that new 8bitdo SNES pad later in the year, gonna work so well with this machine. And that rewind feature is glorious!

Chrono Trigger with that feature would have been some fourth-wall breaking shit. :p

D.Lo

Nope. The reason the NES classic was limitted to 720p was because of the SoC it used. I imagine the SNES mini will use the same hardware, so it'll probably have the same limit.
720p is a superior resolution to scale 240p to. If it was 1080p there would be vertical artefacts or fat borders/letterboxing and we know what casuals think of black borders.

Toparaman

Banned
But there is a fairly in depth breakdown of the NES classic that explains why 720p is actually a better output resolution for 240p games than 1080p. And it's from a YouTube group (My life in gaming) that knows their shit about retro console video quality.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxek9ZD3Njw

Pretty sure that's the one.

Luigiv

But there is a fairly in depth breakdown of the NES classic that explains why 720p is actually a better output resolution for 240p games than 1080p. And it's from a YouTube group (My life in gaming) that knows their shit about retro console video quality.
Whilst that's true, it ultimately doesn't really matter because true 720p TVs are practically non existant so there's little benefit to this limitation. Internal scaling from 240p straight to 1080p will, more times than not, look better than a 240p image internally scaled to 720p then scaled again by the TV to 1080p. TV scalers are designed to work best with live action, not pixel art. Scaling quality had likely little to do with NERD's decission. If it were possible, they likely would have offered and option to pick between 720p and 1080p but the cold, hard fact is that it simply wasn't with the hardware they were using.

D.Lo

Whilst that's true, it ultimately doesn't really matter because true 720p TVs are practically non existant so there's little benefit to this limitation. Internal scaling from 240p straight to 1080p will, more times than not, look better than a 240p image internally scaled to 720p then scaled again by the TV to 1080p. TV scalers are designed to work best with live action, not pixel art. Scaling quality had likely little to do with NERD's decission. If it were possible, they likely would have offered and option to pick between 720p and 1080p but the cold, hard fact is that it simply wasn't with the hardware they were using.
You realise they likely decided how to do it then chose hardware to match?

They wouldn't have chosen a chip before anything else and then decided 'hmm what can we do with this' lol

Luigiv

You realise they likely decided how to do it then chose hardware to match?

They wouldn't have chosen a chip before anything else and then decided 'hmm what can we do with this' lol
Yes by comparing capability to cost. A 1080p capable chip would have been too expensive for their needs and they decide 720p was good enough (key, good enough not superior). Keep in mind a 1080p capable chip would be more capable in every other regard too and would be an unnecessary overkill for only a single extra benefit. This was a decission made in spite of iq not for it.

Anything notable in the Star Fox 2 footage they showed? I'm not familiar with the ROMS out there other than knowing they are incomplete.

Impossible to tell, Nintendo has shown only (boring) gameplay. I would definitely be able to tell if they have shown the Title Screen, but they didn't.

Robin64

I could've sworn that the frame shown when Kirby is playing changed colour based on what's going on in Kirby. He enters an area made up of lots of blue and the frame shifts to a blue colour.

Then I read on the Nintendo UK website:
Wrap a cool border around your game with the new Frame feature. Some of the frames change colour based on the game being played.

So it seems so!

D.Lo

So can somebody post the Amazon Japan link when it goes live?

I will if I catch it ;)

Sorry for anyone who thought this bump was doing just that :(

Top Bottom