• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/10 - 3/16

Terrell

WOW, Metroid Prime 3 didn't completely die on the charts! And neither did Yakuza 3!
I am concerned that Smash Bros. dipped below Wii Fit, I do not want to see that being an indicator that Smash hit its peak.

cvxfreak said:
It teaches you how to write Chinese characters beautifully. Penmanship matters. I've heard that Japanese and Chinese consider the ability to write neat kanji a sign of intelligence.
Well, that settles it... Japanese peer pressure is going to force me (and those like me) to buy that game.
My Japanese penmanship is.... well, let's just say no one is going to think I'm smart any time soon because of it.

Lets go Yakuza! Hopefully the sales don't have a sudden drop off next week though. Its nice to see a PS3 game so high up in the charts

jgwhiteus

Terrell said:
I am concerned that Smash Bros. dipped below Wii Fit, I do not want to see that being an indicator that Smash hit its peak.

It's probably more that Wii Fit still hasn't hit its peak yet...it's been in the top 3/5 for an awfully long time now (introduced beginning of December, right? So it's almost been 4 months; still in the top 3 weekly). SSBB is still selling pretty darn well, but I think there's a good chance Wii Fit will outlast it, and a whole lot of other games this gen as well.

RGG Kenzan numbers remind me of Mingol5, wouldn't surprise me to see it crawling to 350-400k. Going by past RGG numbers:
Code:
 ▼ Ryu ga Gotoku  	  	[B]7140Y[/B]  	05.12.08  [B]345,323[/B]
 ▼ Ryu ga Gotoku(The Best!)    [B]1890Y[/B]   06.10.26  [B]484,199[/B]
 ▼ Ryu ga Gotoku 2 	  	[B]7140Y[/B]  	06.12.07  [B]572,917[/B]
 ▼ Ryu ga Gotoku 2(The Best!)  [B]1890Y[/B]   07.12.06  [B]111,314[/B] (still going on)
 ▼ Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan!  	[B]7980Y[/B]  	08.03.06  [B]220,000[/B] (still going on)
RGG2 seems out of reach, but Kenzan looks likely to pass RGG full-priced release at a higher price. Then we should count on a budget re-release (possibly two going by shelf life it could enjoy? 2980Y and 1890Y later on for example) to improve its numbers a little. Seems all depends on legs (how is word of mouth with this one?).

cvxfreak said:
Taiko 2 DS on Golden Week could be really big, I wonder if Namdai has prepared the launch properly this time (no bugs, recalls and soldouts).
Severe drop for Family Ski, could it still be low on supplies? Vinnk check? :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think the year vs. year results will continue to shadow each other and we'll see the Wii around 52-55k and the PS3 right around 18-23k.

mc-extremelyclose-67.jpg

Laguna

Banned
Airkiru said:
Yakuza 3! It will do 300k.

If it can do reasonable good numbers until Golden Week it could do even better. Because it would be reorderd in bigger quantities. But this largely depends on the next 4 weeks.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pachael said:
I know 'Beautiful Character Writing' sounds so much more classy, but it's really 'Handwriting Training' :lol

Calligraphy Training?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ZealousD said:
Calligraphy Training?

Calligraphy has cultural connotations that are not present here. Handwriting also has a connotation that isn't present here. The translated title as-is is probably the most apt representation of the title in its native language.

Localization is for scripts and dialog. Titles and names should be translated, lest they be sapped of their unique meaning. Face Training is another example where the translation recklessly divorces the actual cultural meaning of the game's title from the apparent title that we read.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GrimtekP21 said:
Lets go Yakuza! Hopefully the sales don't have a sudden drop off next week though. Its nice to see a PS3 game so high up in the charts
Unfortunately, it'll likely be pretty low in 2 or 3 weeks. You can replace "Yakuza" in that quote above with a number of titles from the past 14 months and it would have been valid at the time they had come out. :/

jgwhiteus

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I also think, though, that the sub-top 10 games are sold in such relatively small quantities this time of year (all below 10,000 pretty much), and neither MC nor Famitsu can track sales to a great degree of accuracy in that range (since they're both regularly 1000's off each other), that a drop or jump in the chart doesn't necessarily signify a big change in sales. It might be that MC or Famitsu estimates it sold 100 to 1000 fewer or more copies than the previous week - which would be considered a rounding error in the holiday season, but now would be enough to make it jump or drop several places.

The difference between the number 1 and number 5 game is probably significant; the difference between the number 25 and number 30 game...probably not so much.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
Face Training is another example where the translation recklessly divorces the actual cultural meaning of the game's title from the apparent title that we read.

Perhaps that's because it should be Facening Training?

Edit:
Bust Nak said:
Go Yakuza 3!
AdmiralViscen said:
Bravo to Yakuza.
Elbrain said:
Go Yakuza keep on trucking!

Is Yakuza 3 going to be the Media-Create threads' version of Uncharted in the PAL threads?

jgwhiteus

donny2112 said:
Is Yakuza 3 going to be the Media-Create threads' version of Uncharted in the PAL threads?

Oh, come now...there were tons of "Go Go Galaxy" comments in the MC threads for SMG. It's kinda like clapping your hands for Tinkerbell...

Redd

Mike Works said:
just curious, which do you guys think will sell more (lifetime);

Smash Brothers or Wii Fit

1) in Japan

2) worldwide

?

1) Wii Fit

2) Smash Brothers...................at least I hope so

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mike Works said:

1) in Japan

2) worldwide

?

Japan- Wii Fit absolutely

Worldwide- hmmm..I don't know. I have a feeling Smash might come on top, just because I think its going to sell in the U.S for a looooooooong time

The Hermit

Mike Works said:

1) in Japan

2) worldwide

?

Good question, and with NPD not counting Wii Fit, it could be very hard to estimate.

I think Wii Fit will prevail in the end.

jgwhiteus

Baiano19 said:
Good question, and with NPD not counting Wii Fit, it could be very hard to estimate.

Wha...NPD won't count Wii Fit? Did they make an announcement? Even if they don't count it as a "game" and count it as a hardware accessory with game (like the Wii Zapper), they still provide sales figures for accessories...like, we knew how much the Zapper & Link's Crossbow Training sold its first month, I think.

XiaNaphryz

donny2112 said:
It's just the current torchbearer. You likely will see similar comments made on previous PS3 chart-toppers in older threads.

cvxfreak

Mike Works said:

1) in Japan

2) worldwide

?

1. Wii Fit
2. SSBB

I think the only way Wii Fit can outsell SSBB worldwide is for Wii Fit to sell like 5 Million copies in Japan or a higher than anticipated number in Europe. Then again, we may all be surprised.

Polari

Mike Works said:

1) in Japan

2) worldwide

?

I think Wii Fit is going to huge, so Wii Fit on both counts. I think it will do even better in America and Europe than it has in Japan.

kswiston

Mike Works said:

1) in Japan

2) worldwide

?

Wii Fit in Japan for sure.

Wii fit could win worldwide as well, if it catches on with the people who are buying the Wii and Wii Sports as a way to stay active. Once I would have said that the Brain Training games wouldn't be nearly as successful Worldwide as they were in Japan, but now it seems likely that BT2 will eventually exceed 10M copies EXCLUDING Japan.

I approve of SEGA success.

Family Ski, at least in my town, is not sold out.

As for Bimoji Training, I was in a department store with a Japanese colleague as I needed her help getting a cell phone. While we waited for them to activate the phone, I pointed at the nearby display of Bimoji and asked what it was. She called it "Beautiful Letters Training", so I suspect the translation used in the OP is closer to the meaning than simply saying "Handwriting".

And for the fellow puzzled as to why it sold, the answer is on the first page of the thread.

Kaervas

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
It's just the current torchbearer. You likely will see similar comments made on previous PS3 chart-toppers in older threads.

No, it's the third installment of one of the best game series ever.

If everything goes well in japan, with some luck we will have a translated version here in the west.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Baiano19 said:

I think Wii Fit will prevail in the end.
Even if NPD did count Wii Fit as a game, it would eventually fall out of the top 10 (maybe) and we still wouldn't have European numbers. So no matter what NPD does, our only worldwide source would be Nintendo's fiscal reports.

cvxfreak said:
It teaches you how to write Chinese characters beautifully. Penmanship matters. I've heard that Japanese and Chinese consider the ability to write neat kanji a sign of intelligence.

Oh, crap. My IQ just dropped. :lol

My kanji are ugly (like my blocky English handwriting). They're ten times worse on a DS screen or any other surface without good tactile feedback, like a marker board.

Vinnk

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
RGG2 seems out of reach, but Kenzan looks likely to pass RGG full-priced release at a higher price. Then we should count on a budget re-release (possibly two going by shelf life it could enjoy? 2980Y and 1890Y later on for example) to improve its numbers a little. Seems all depends on legs (how is word of mouth with this one?).

Among the gamers I know the game is a bit controversial. Several of my gamer friends picked it up or intend to but two gamers I know are mad that they changed the time period. One guy, however, thought the time period change was great and bought this game even though he wasn't a fan of the series. Overall the impressions of the game (from my VERY limited sample) are good.

I don’t remember seeing any copies in stores this week, but I haven’t really been looking for it either. There were never many copies of this title in my town to begin with. The stores just didn’t order very many, probably thinking it would be a flop.

VeritasVierge said:
Now that makes sense. Still doesn't explain why it sold so well.

It has a massive TV ad campaign. Well made ad too. Makes it look really good. If I had any money or time right now, I would buy it.

Mike Works said:

1) in Japan

2) worldwide

?

Wii Fit and it deserves to. There I said it. Not that Smash is a bad game. I love brawl so far. But Wii Fit is an innovative and unique title in the same veil as Wii Sports (which previously everyone heralded as the end of gaming). Weather it’s really a game or not is still a question I guess, but as a piece of software it is pretty amazing.

cvxfreak

Segata Sanshiro said:
As for Bimoji Training, I was in a department store with a Japanese colleague as I needed her help getting a cell phone. While we waited for them to activate the phone, I pointed at the nearby display of Bimoji and asked what it was. She called it "Beautiful Letters Training", so I suspect the translation used in the OP is closer to the meaning than simply saying "Handwriting".

I didn't use the word "Letters" because in the technical sense of the word, letters only refer to alphabetic systems, of which kanji isn't.

cvxfreak said:
I didn't use the word "Letters" because in the technical sense of the word, letters only refer to alphabetic systems, of which kanji isn't.
For sure. I think my colleague just couldn't find the exact English word she was looking for.

XiaNaphryz

Kaervas said:
No, it's the third installment of one of the best game series ever.

If everything goes well in japan, with some luck we will have a translated version here in the west.
Errr, I thought the comment I was quoting was referring to the zealous posters on this board rallying around a particular title because it's doing well on the sales charts?

And success in Japan doesn't necessarily mean they'll bring the game over to the US immediately - that's more US sales related than Japan. Look how long it took Sega to bother with Yakuza 2 with caveats (no dub cast to reduce costs, etc, not that I'm complaining about that).

Vinnk

The "Bi" (美) in Bimoji means "beauty" or "beautiful". So I think the translation in the OP is accurate or at least more accurate than simply "handwriting training". The fact that you make your characters beautiful and artistic is highly emphasized and it comes with a stylus that looks like a calligraphy brush.

Vinnk said:
The "Bi" (美) in Bimoji means "beauty" or "beautiful". So I think the translation in the OP is accurate or at least more accurate than simply "handwriting training". The fact that you make your characters beautiful and artistic is highly emphasized and it comes with a stylus that looks like a calligraphy brush.
Yeah! That stylus actually looks really good, too, and I don't normally go in for gimmick styli.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Perhaps that's because it should be Facening Training?

That's exactly my point. Translating it as "Face Training" evacuates the Facening connotation from it and gives it a stronger cultural attachment to the * Training line, which would be a severe error.

beef3483 said:
Yes they do. Prime 3 was my GOTY 2007.
You're not alone. I consider MP3 the pinnacle of what the Wii is all about so far, aside from Wii Sports, and soon to be, Wii Fit which are on the other side of the Wii coin.

Minsc

Gold Member
PantherLotus said:
I think the year vs. year results will continue to shadow each other and we'll see the Wii around 52-55k and the PS3 right around 18-23k.

mc-extremelyclose-67.jpg

Looking at this graph, it appears that the Wii has been on a steady decline, does it have anything to prevent it from continuing back to the depths from which it rose not too long ago? I guess Mario Kart will help for a little while if that's due in Japan next month.

It seems more like to see the Wii continue to drop based on that chart, depending on how many weeks until something new is out (or that Golden Week, I forget when that is), we may see it get to 30K or below I think.

gtj1092

XiaNaphryz said:
Errr, I thought the comment I was quoting was referring to the zealous posters on this board rallying around a particular title because it's doing well on the sales charts?

And success in Japan doesn't necessarily mean they'll bring the game over to the US immediately - that's more US sales related than Japan. Look how long it took Sega to bother with Yakuza 2 with caveats (no dub cast to reduce costs, etc, not that I'm complaining about that).

But no comment from you or donny about the "yay metriod" posts. I wonder why that is?

Gaborn

Minsc said:
Looking at this graph, it appears that the Wii has been on a steady decline, does it have anything to prevent it from continuing back to the depths from which it rose not too long ago? I guess Mario Kart will help for a little while if that's due in Japan next month.

It seems more like to see the Wii continue to drop based on that chart, depending on how many weeks until something new is out (or that Golden Week, I forget when that is), we may see it get to 30K or below I think.

Is that REALLY what you got from that chart? Seriously? What I noticed right off was how, despite people's predictions that 2008 would in some way be a "turnaround" year for the PS3, and despite the... well, I'll just say it, crappy, sales last year, when the excuse was "no games!" the PS3, with considerably more games, and even a lower price point has managed to track roughly the same as it was last year.

You're right though, the Wii looks like it's on a slow decline. Perhaps that just means that people aren't as feverish about it as last year? I mean, considering it's still more than doubling the competition.

Innotech

Banned
Minsc said:

what are you talking about? The wii hasnt been in a decline. Unless you mixed up 2007 with 2008 or something, in which case it STILL isnt in a decline. Honestly not sure what youre seeing.

Top Bottom