• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repgnar

Missed the 'leak' while it was live as the website is correctly updated now. From some of the pictures people took there's a Buy-A-Box booster with the promo card. Anyone get any info on what those will contain? Those pop-out posters look really cool, thought they were the pre-release box initially.

Justin

Missed the 'leak' while it was live as the website is correctly updated now. From some of the pictures people took there's a Buy-A-Box booster with the promo card. Anyone get any info on what those will contain? Those pop-out posters look really cool, thought they were the pre-release box initially.

I dont remember fully but it included 4 random rares or mythics from standard, a hand full of commons and uncommons and one of those nice new foil lands from the new showdown packs.

Firemind

Well they already made Grimlock into a legendary dinosaur anyway. I wonder if it's allowed to be used as a EDH commander and if you can use both cards...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, the only difference I know of with Summer Magic was that it had closer to intended colors because Revised was washed out as fuck even straight from the packs.

My first rare was Nightmare. I cheated constantly to play it.

The biggest feelbad to open was any of the Lace cards.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I think I opened a playset of Chaos Lace and not a single Shivan dragon. I did get a Demonic Hordes and that did some serious work.

I mean, the only difference I know of with Summer Magic was that it had closer to intended colors because Revised was washed out as fuck even straight from the packs.

Revised was super washed out because they miscalibrated the printing sheets for it, but Summer was too dark and saturated instead; Revised had the card faces cropped weirdly so they ended with a black border, while Summer restored the bevels that other sets had; Revised didn't have a date in the copyright line but Summer did; they (mostly) fixed the misprinted Serendib Efreet from Revised in Summer but then screwed up the Hurricane instead. They also redid the typesetting so some cards look a little better textbox-wise, though I don't think any got new wordings.

88.jpg
88.jpg

WotC basically has a ton of old cards from most older sets sitting around for various reasons. They don't as I understand it keep like a really thorough and well-organized archive, but it's still something that would be staggering compared to most individual people's collections.

It would be funny if WotC released a video of their 'secret back room' revealing stacks upon stacks of power 9.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Revised was super washed out because they miscalibrated the printing sheets for it, but Summer was too dark and saturated instead; Revised had the card faces cropped weirdly so they ended with a black border, while Summer restored the bevels that other sets had; Revised didn't have a date in the copyright line but Summer did; they (mostly) fixed the misprinted Serendib Efreet from Revised in Summer but then screwed up the Hurricane instead. They also redid the typesetting so some cards look a little better textbox-wise, though I don't think any got new wordings.

It never ended up coming out, which was annoying because Revised packs started to dry up around then and the only other thing I could buy was Fallen Empires because there was a SERIOUS product shortage at this point in the game's history.

Like there was legitimately nothing to buy other than FE and Revised until Fourth Edition came out, which had the unfortunate distinction of actively weakening the card pool - I don't believe I ever saw a Dark, Legends, Antiquities or Arabian Nights pack. Revised weakened the card pool against ABU but almost literally nobody had anything from that era when I started playing, and it was only ~a year after "unlimited" came out.

There was an A/V tech who worked at my school who had 2 or 3 pages of Power 9 and at least 5 Black Lotuses, though.

Firemind

It would be funny if WotC released a video of their 'secret back room' revealing stacks upon stacks of power 9.
I remember I read they don't actually have a lot of power 9 stored in a safe somewhere. They actually had to ask employees to donate their power 9 cards for the Zendikar treasures.

Angry Grimace

They could just print more and not tell anyone they did it
KuGsj.gif

It never ended up coming out, which was annoying because Revised packs started to dry up around then and the only other thing I could buy was Fallen Empires because there was a SERIOUS product shortage at this point in the game's history.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the part where they printed a ton of this and then destroyed it and it resulted in a gigantic shortage of Revised.

They could just print more and not tell anyone they did it
KuGsj.gif

This is true for newer sets within the last X years or whatever, but old enough stuff (at least 4th and back) I think they actually couldn't duplicate the original printing process well enough and they'd just look like high-quality counterfeits, lol.

*pulls out a Black Lotus with a holofoil stamp*

Uh, we just found this one in the basement.

It would be so nice if they could just do that! The Power 9 on MTGO would be so sweet in paper.

Maybe with VR glasses or something they could get around the RL. Augmented Reality app or something, where you plop down cards with barcodes or whatever but the glasses create the card art and text. ;)

Santiako

Buy-a-Box booster packs contain the following and will only be printed in English and Japanese languages:

2 foil basic lands illustrated by Rebecca Guay
4 rares or mythic rares from Standard-legal sets
2 foils of any rarity from Standard-legal sets

cached ixalan page

It would be so nice if they could just do that!

I think over a sufficiently long time horizon the desire to make money off of untapped resources will overwhelm whatever nonsense legal justifications they have and someone will finally give the okay to print a paper Vintage Masters.

I think over a sufficiently long time horizon the desire to make money off of untapped resources will overwhelm whatever nonsense legal justifications they have and someone will finally give the okay to print a paper Vintage Masters.

I don't play Vintage on MTGO but I really do enjoy watching it played, and I'd like to play it myself. It looks like a very fun format, even one where you get to play cards that aren't super playable in other formats, thanks to the unique presence of the Power 9.

It's easy enough to obtain high quality black core reproductions, but like you mentioned earlier, printing process' have surpassed what they were doing before and they are basically recreating poorly printed cards.

A high quality reproduction of Scalding Tarn looks amazing. A high quality reproduction of Tundra, Bayou, etc. looks pretty awful and quite obvious it's a new card, not one 20 years old.

Vintage Masters in paper would look awesome.

Repgnar

Buy-a-Box booster packs contain the following and will only be printed in English and Japanese languages:

2 foil basic lands illustrated by Rebecca Guay
4 rares or mythic rares from Standard-legal sets
2 foils of any rarity from Standard-legal sets

cached ixalan page

Thanks for the info! We'll be in Tokyo the 1st of October and I think the plan is to possibly pick up a box of Japanese Ixalan and draft at home with some friends once we get back.

Other than that I think it'll just be anything we see that catches our eye value wise and some souvenirs. Would like to hit up Shibuya Mint, Hareruya, and the random stores we come across espically in Akihabara. Anyone familiar with Tokyo's magic scene?

traveler

Not Wario
Mtg Ixalan [OT] You'll cruise to foreign shores, and you'll keep your mind and body sound by working with dinosaurs!

Too long, no doubt.

[OT] Members of a noble brotherhood!
[OT] Now, take the planeswalker Jace; the Vorthos all despise him
But to the Spikes he's a hero and they idolize him

Ashodin

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Take a good hard look at the mothafuckin' boat bitch!
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Jace vs. The Volcano

Ashodin

Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Come Sail Away With Me
Magic: The Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - I'm on a boat and It's going fast and I've got a dinosaur-themed pashmina afghan

I also like Dinosaurs of the Carribbean. It's everything together.

Joe Molotov

I was partial to Kaladesh and Dinosaurs, but maybe Planewalk the Dinosaur. It definitely needs dinosaurs somewhere in it. Dinosaurs make everything better.

OnPoint

Walk The Dinosaur is the closest one I like.

I kinda think they all suck so far, but I haven't been able to come up with anything better.

Feels like there's an obvious 'planeswalk the plank' joke in there somewhere, but I can't come up with the proper wording.

Joe Molotov

Haha, nice. I was hoping for some wild shit in the Top 8 decklists, but it seems pretty tame. An Approach of the Second Sun deck won it, and the rest was 2 G/B Constrictors, 2 Zombies, a Temur Energy, a Mardu Vehicles, and a Ramunap Red.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/rptq-top-8-decklists/guatemala-2017-08-20

OnPoint

Bought an Elephant Graveyard several months ago for a Lion King deck I'm building. Was mad I had to spend like $35 on it.

Then I looked at the price growth on it today. What the shit?

iIfEtyn.png

This is getting ridiculous. So glad I scooped it up when I did.

Bought an Elephant Graveyard several months ago for a Lion King deck I'm building. Was mad I had to spend like $35 on it.

iIfEtyn.png

This is getting ridiculous. So glad I scooped it up when I did.
Live action Lion King hype

"Port to Sideboard" is definitely my leader so far.

The last few months especially have seen a big uptick in entirely random reserve list buyouts, to the point where pretty soon anything on the RL, no matter how useless, is gonna be too expensive to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom