• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I gotta give props to these guys for sticking with their beliefs (regardless of how bigoted they may be). No large corporation that has come out in favor of gay rights would have this degree of resolve. That said, chicken sandwiches should have absolutely nothing to do with sexuality (same can be said for Oreos), and if they want to press the issue, fuck them, I'll eat at Chipotle.

It's disturbing how many people actually think this. Being stubborn has never been, and will never be, a virtue.

Korey

I just don't understand the strategy here. Chik-Fil-A is an organization so principled it gives up millions of dollars a year to be closed on Sunday. What's the purpose of the boycott/kiss-ins/demonstrations? To hurt their revenue? They aren't motivated by that. If their revenue goes down, it's probably a badge of honor to them for sticking to their principles. If it stays the same or goes up (which I think is more likely due to exposure / riling up the religious right), then it reinforces their principles to them even more.

Folks have every right to protest (and Chik Fil A has every right to support the politicians / policies / principles - as long as they don't discriminate in their stores or break the law - yay 1st amendement), but regardless, it feels like it's a lot of effort that isn't really going to hurt or effect chik-fil-a, and even if it does, chik-fil-a would rather be hurt sticking to its principles than break from them for the sake of business expediency.

I guess I just don't get it. Feels like all the effort would be better spent going towards demonstrations to change / law and policy instead of going after the chicken stand that's closed on Sunday. Maybe it's just the culture war.

What strategy? Not eating somewhere? Not handing over your hard earned money to bigots? Man, this is so hard to understand!

All I've seen you guys do is put them in the news a lot.

Conservation with friend:

Me: Are you boycotting CFA
Friend: Who?
Me: The guys who sell chicken sandwiches on Day St
Friend: With the dancing cow
Me: Yeah that place.
Friend: Are they good.
Me: I heard they are the In-N-Out of chicken
Friend: Are you fucking serious? I'm checking them out

*Shrugs*

You live in Moreno Valley? Rock on. I live all the way over in Beaumont, so it's quite easy for me to not go. I was always curious about them, hearing how good they were (from here on GAF actually), but now definitely not even going to try them, not when I can spend my money elsewhere.

IrishNinja

man half these posts talk the food up, and im all curious.
so at what point do you personally think it's cool to eat there again? if they walk back their stance, or if they simply stop donating to said causes, would that work for you? curious about everyone's metrics here.

Had this for dinner :) (crappy cellphone pic incoming):

ChickenSandy.jpg

I used the CFA style chicken recipe posted multiple times in this thread and did up some homemade hushpuppies for a side (thought, hey if I'm going to deep fry, might as well). The reason I'm posting this is because, fuck I'm teaching myself how to cook (with zero experience outside of fast food jobs cooking), if I can do this and not fuck it up too bad, no one short of a blind man or a quadriplegic has an excuse, it really isn't that hard to do and it's damn good besides (and it tastes even better knowing you did it yourself).

Eusis

so at what point do you personally think it's cool to eat there again? if they walk back their stance, or if they simply stop donating to said causes, would that work for you? curious about everyone's metrics here.
I said it above, but I'd simply be happy if they stopped donating to those causes. With any big company there's going to be people you can't agree with even all the way at the top, but actions matter more than words. Not as if they'd come up and scream at me about their views while I'm ordering or eating anyway.

FyreWulff

The ACLU seem to disagree about how the Mayor of Boston and Chicago treating Chick-Fil-A. What do you guys think of it?

Corporations shouldn't be treated as a person and shouldn't have free speech. That's what I think of it.

A piece of paper having more rights than a significant portion of our population should tell you how fucked our priorities are.

The ACLU seem to disagree about how the Mayor of Boston and Chicago treating Chick-Fil-A. What do you guys think of it?

I have that general torn feeling. On one hand it's obviously wrong to exclude CFA on some level, but I also think, "fuck 'em". I pretty much always side with the ACLU and their endeavors as they are a true bastion of fighting the "good" fight so in this case I lean more towards the rights of CFA even they they are a bunch of shitheads for what they are espousing.

philz

It's disturbing how many people actually think this. Being stubborn has never been, and will never be, a virtue.

My point is that they're putting principles before money - something that is exceedingly rare in the business world. The large corps that have come out in support of the LGBT community have done so in a cautious and calculated way. If they had thought a material impact on profits was at all likely they would all still be silent.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I can understand the argument. Think about some town in Mississippi not allowing, say, McDonalds to open a restaurant there because they support gay marriage. It's touchy.

Gaborn

Even as a gay man I COMPLETELY agree with the ACLU. Content based restrictions by the government are an inherently bad idea. The government's role is to be a neutral arbiter and evaluate a business on existing codified standards, not because you don't like what the business owner believes. Would we even be having that debate if some idiotic town was keeping out Jewish owned businesses or businesses owned by another minority group? And then, you can't say that the government should be able to interfere when we are ideologically sympathetic to the interference but NOT when we are ideologically opposed to it.

Whether the boycott changes their bottom line is irrelevant. I don't want to give money that goes to support shutting down gay rights. If other people want to be assholes and give extra support to the company that counteracts the loss of support from people boycotting, they can be extra assholes, that's completely on them.

The question "how much effect is a boycott really going to have?", when used as a method to undermine the idea of a boycott, is meaningless.

Patrons of CFA are assholes? What?

But I thought that talk wasn't going on in this thread!

Edit: Unless you meant people that go specifically to "offset" any effects of a boycott or something.

Wilsongt

Patrons of CFA are assholes? What?

But I thought that talk wasn't going on in this thread!

Edit: Unless you meant people that go specifically to "offset" any effects of a boycott or something.

I think he is referring to those people that go there specifically to "support" Chick-Fil-A. The Huckabees, Santorums, and Palins of the US.

bcl0328

Chick-Fli-A's sandwiches aren't even that good anyway.

yes they are. i had some on saturday, can't stop thinking about it. chargrilled chicken club meal, get some of that cheese sauce for the waffle fries, and half tea/lemonade for the drink. oh god...

Seanspeed

Banned
If they stopped contributing money. If some company owner just has shitty beliefs, whatever. That sucks, but what can you do? But if they're actually using company profits to donate money that works to ban gay marriages, then yea, its too much for me because that means that when I eat there, I'm contributing as well in a way.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
so when are the franchise owners going to sue corporate over this? sucks if you invested all that money into a franchise store and then this bomb drops.

Under Chick-Fil-A's business model, franchise operators invest only their time and do not actually own their franchise locations. They have an agreement to operate the franchise for a 50% stake of the profit, and Chick-Fil-A has the option to terminate that agreement with 30 days notice for any reason.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
If they stopped contributing money. If some company owner just has shitty beliefs, whatever. That sucks, but what can you do? But if they're actually using company profits to donate money that works to ban gay marriages, then yea, its too much for me because that means that when I eat there, I'm contributing as well in a way.

That's my thinking too. I don't like giving them money knowing that I am paying for them to try to block me from getting married.

You do know that people have been banned for even mentioning going to eat there in an enticing manner, right?

jesus christ, the constant stupidity in this thread is epic. fucking dopey shit. at least they have been scorned and ridiculed every time they shit all over themselves.

Wilsongt

jesus christ, the constant stupidity in this thread is epic. fucking dopey shit. at least they have been scorned and ridiculed every time they shit all over themselves.

=/ I don't want people banned for such a silly thing, so it's best to post a warning.

My apologies. I'll refrain from posting.

This will most likely be true.

Had this for dinner :) (crappy cellphone pic incoming):

I used the CFA style chicken recipe posted multiple times in this thread and did up some homemade hushpuppies for a side (thought, hey if I'm going to deep fry, might as well). The reason I'm posting this is because, fuck I'm teaching myself how to cook (with zero experience outside of fast food jobs cooking), if I can do this and not fuck it up too bad, no one short of a blind man or a quadriplegic has an excuse, it really isn't that hard to do and it's damn good besides (and it tastes even better knowing you did it yourself).

Bad bun choice! To get the authentic flavor you need a cheap Sunbeam bun buttered and then toasted on the inside halves. Your chicken looks good though.

Cyan

Banned

They're correct. Obvious free speech violation.

The thing I love about the ACLU, which some people never seem to get, is that they really do care about defending your free speech, whatever side of the political aisle you fall on.

Damn, might get banned for posting in the Chick Fil A thread. Extremely sensitive subject.
Pretty soon I'm going to hunt with hand made weapons and grow crops with my own personal fertilizer just to avoid supporting the wrong cause.

just thought I'd put this here. not sure why you'd wander into a thread like this to post your bullshit and not get expected to be called out on it.

just thought I'd put this here. not sure why you'd wander into a thread like this to post your bullshit and not get expected to be called out on it.
That dude didn't even post an argument on the topic, just a shitty remark about how he was hungry for their food. It's sad how many people have done that over the length of this thread, especially when it's done in a gloating way.

That dude didn't even post an argument on the topic, just a shitty remark about how he was hungry for their food. It's sad how many people have done that over the length of this thread, especially when it's done in a gloating way.

once again, the fake victim crying is hilarious. he says something stupid and he's the one who gets offended for being called out on it.

Wow, dude. Relax.

I'll consider it. Though I am reclined on my sofa right now with a cool sea breeze wafting in. what else should I do? do you have any worthwhile recommendations?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've only been to Chick-Fil-A once while on business travel, just to see what the big deal was... they aren't around in my area and this was before I knew about their morals. Wasn't too impressed, between that and stuff like this, it ensures I will never go back if I'm ever near one.

Esch

Banned
Code:
[B]Chick-fil-A Sauce[/B]

Serves: 1 cup
Start-to-Finish: 5 minutes
Recipe By: [url]www.food.com[/url]

Ingredients:

1 cup Ken's honey mustard dressing (no brand substitutions or lite versions here, it makes a difference)
2 tsp smoky barbecue sauce

Directions:

1. Combine ingredients.
2. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Some Google searching found these. ^

Never been to Chic-Fil-A so I can't tell you if those are close enough matches or not.

exceeeelllleenttt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom