• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cheech
(05-04-2012, 01:47 AM)
I was prepared to give this the benefit of the doubt, but this sounds awful. After giving up on Rift and ToR, I've had it with WoW clones. Either give me something new, or GTFO.

I own every ES game (multiple versions of the last 3), but this has "abortion" written all over it.

"Hey guys. We know you love the ES games and everything about them. So how about we take that universe, and shoehorn it into a WoW clone!". Is that the sales pitch? I mean, Jesus Christ.
Pollux
(05-04-2012, 01:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Fjordson

You're right but...I don't know. Still a little worrisome. I remember being totally sure of Warcraft IV despite World of Warcraft...

Though I don't know if this would be able to take off like WoW did, so maybe I'm just paranoid.

This isn't going to be even fractionally as successful as WoW...you have nothing to worry about.
demigod
(05-04-2012, 01:48 AM)
I just skimmed over it, no dragons? FAIL!!!
golem
(05-04-2012, 01:49 AM)
If its an improved DAOC.. GREAT. I hope its F2p tho.. over paying for MMOs.
joseph1594
(05-04-2012, 01:49 AM)
Well, I guess that is the nail in the coffin of why I will not be getting this game. I already never planned on playing an Elder Scrolls MMO ever since the rumors have been floating around, but those details sound terrible. There is no first person, no real time combat, no ability to become a werewolf or vampire, etc. What the hell is the point of making an Elder Scrolls game if it is only set in the Elder Scrolls universe?

Luckily, this shouldn't affect the main Elder Scrolls line too much (at least I don't think). I would have much rather had a Elder Scrolls game in the style of what New Vegas was to Fallout 3. I would have been jumping for joy if they did that.
Baller, PhD
Banned
(05-04-2012, 01:50 AM)
That sounds terrible.
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(05-04-2012, 01:51 AM)

Originally Posted by joseph1594

I would have much rather had a Elder Scrolls game in the style of what New Vegas was to Fallout 3. I would have been jumping for joy if they did that.

Elder Scrolls: New Vvardenfell by Obsidian Games. If only dreams could come true.
Neat Machine

Ebonheart Pact: The Nords, Dunmer, and Argoninans

This is dumb. It sets off a red flag that the developer doesn't really know the TES lore and that this isn't even going to be a serious thing.
Dicer
Banned
f2p or bust like Rift and ToR and everything else that isn't WoW...

So sad they are spending so much time and effort on something nobody really wants...
StoppedInTracks
(05-04-2012, 01:52 AM)
Haha people simply wanted Multiplayer Skyrim. They will get a WoW clone instead.
tkscz
(05-04-2012, 01:52 AM)
I've never been interested in the gameplay of TES, but more of the world it's in. If I can travel all of Tamriel, then they have themselves a buyer. If not, nothing about this sounds remotely interesting.
EYEL1NER
(05-04-2012, 01:54 AM)
I'm not an MMO fan and have never played one, but because I like TES, I figured I would wait until info on the game came out to pass judgement.
Everything about this sounds terrible though.
If it fails (it's not WoW, so when it fails), hopefully it goes quick, so we can all forget it ever happened.
J-Rock
Banned
(05-04-2012, 01:54 AM)

Originally Posted by StoppedInTracks

Haha people simply wanted Multiplayer Skyrim. They will get a WoW clone instead.

Pretty much. Damn shame.
Sblargh
(05-04-2012, 01:55 AM)
If it's in the past, I'm okay with it, as I really don't want to see the interesting political situation Skyrim set up being developed in a MMO.

Actually, being in the past makes everything all right, is it the 2nd Era, before the unification of Tamriel by Tiber Septim? Interesting time.
RPGCrazied
(05-04-2012, 01:56 AM)
And after 5 years of dev time, no gameplay videos? I'm aware GI gets the exclusive to show it off, so hopefully they have something to show soon. I guess E3 at the earliest.
Sinatar
Official GAF Bottom Feeder
(05-04-2012, 01:58 AM)
So this sounds like a bog standard MMO set in a the elder scrolls world as opposed to an actual elder scrolls MMO.

How completely and utterly uninteresting.
sangreal
(05-04-2012, 01:59 AM)
voice acting & hero engine? theme park? pass

The Elder Scrolls world isn't even that interesting even though I enjoy the games.
AnathemicOne
(05-04-2012, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

-The combat model will not be real time due to latency

Yeah, this is going to fail
Seiru
(05-04-2012, 02:03 AM)

What does this even mean
lastplayed
(05-04-2012, 02:04 AM)
It'll be interesting to see the connected provinces as one world, but I'm kinda done with MMO style gameplay. I've been a huge Elder Scrolls fan since Daggerfall, but so far this is very "meh".
inky
(05-04-2012, 02:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Billiechu

I will play if it's F2P or just a one time purchase like GW. Otherwise NOOOPE.

I like SWTOR, but not enough to pay monthly for it especially after buying the Digital Collector's Edition.

My guess is Zenimax feels they have enough pull to ask for subscription money, but they will probably have a backup plan to turn it into F2P down the line. (I feel the same way about SWTOR). F2P I'm sure everyone would at least give it a try.

Originally Posted by Seiru

What does this even mean

Click on ability bars, wait a second for your character to animate :P
RPGCrazied
(05-04-2012, 02:05 AM)

Originally Posted by inky

My guess is Zenimax feels they have enough pull to ask for subscription money, but they will probably have a backup plan to turn it into F2P down the line. (I feel the same way about SWTOR). F2P I'm sure everyone would at least give it a try.

Click on ability bars.

Yeah. That's how I feel about ToR. I want to play it, but not for monthly fees. And what is so terrible about the Hero Engine?
Tobor
Look!
A crack addict with a tag!
(05-04-2012, 02:07 AM)
Sounds like its Elder Scrolls in name and lore only. Pass.
maniac-kun
(05-04-2012, 02:08 AM)
No realtime combat? No interest. And everything that makes ElderScrolls unique is missing here... who greenlighted this?
Community Forum
(05-04-2012, 02:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Seiru

What does this even mean

Last edited by Community Forum; 05-04-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Jako
(05-04-2012, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by RPGCrazied

Yeah. That's how I feel about ToR. I want to play it, but not for monthly fees. And what is so terrible about the Hero Engine?

If they manage to have 100vs100 PvP battles with the Hero Engine, hats off.
Cipherr
(05-04-2012, 02:11 AM)

It unfortunately looks like a pretty standard MMO that's more of an evolution of Dark Age of Camelot than Elder Scrolls.

God I was just going to post that. Got a very big DAoC vibe from reading this.

Bring it on, more MMO's :D
kyubajin
(05-04-2012, 02:11 AM)
The only possible way I could have bothered checking out this game was if it was like a regular ES game but online... no real time combat and 3rd person just killed it.
roodiculous
(05-04-2012, 02:13 AM)
Is it too late for a "jk" from Bethesda?
Ploid 3.0
(05-04-2012, 02:16 AM)
Good luck to them.

Originally Posted by Community Forum

Community Forum Community Forum Community Forum

OMG how did this happen? Complain about the community forums? Became tranquil?
lettermassing
(05-04-2012, 02:16 AM)
Sounds terrible.
Sutton Dagger
(05-04-2012, 02:17 AM)
Any news on that Skyrim multiplayer mod that someone was working on, that seems like the only way we're going to get a decent ES multiplayer experience?
Anbokr
Bull on a Donut
(05-04-2012, 02:20 AM)
I really don't like the idea of tying races to specific factions. Sure, tie maybe one or two, but just lumping a random group of 3 races, adding the word "alliance" and calling it a day doesn't cut it for me. Why can't I be an imperial against Mannimarco lol? This honestly takes away from the whole "Elder Scrolls" make your own character/choices feel. I guess from a gameplay perspective it might make sense as you want each faction to have a visual distinction.

Also will have to see more of the combat, from what they described I'm not really liking it... Makes it seem like there will be massive overlap between classes and almost a Dota-like system of fighting -_-.

Bet they are skimping on vampires/werewolves/dragons, etc... for expansion pack material, another thing that defines Elder Scrolls for me cut out.
Last edited by Anbokr; 05-04-2012 at 02:22 AM.
RadioActiveLobster
(05-04-2012, 02:20 AM)
Well that sucks.

Skyrim Online Mod, I'll stick to that.
DTKT
(05-04-2012, 02:21 AM)
They are making a run of the mill MMO.

I'm out.
Absoludacrous
(05-04-2012, 02:23 AM)
Sounds like the kind of MMO you shouldn't be releasing in 2013. Shame, they had a chance to bring something different to the table.
GillianSeed79
(05-04-2012, 02:27 AM)
The 100 vs. 100 pvp siege stuff sounds cool, but I've yet to ever be interested in an MMO. It does sound interesting but the Heroic engine always looks so bland and boring in every SWTOR video I've watched. Even though I'm a big Skyrim fan I'll probably pass unless it goes F2P.
Schweinehund
(05-04-2012, 02:29 AM)
Sounds like a cash grab unfortunately.

Wonder how the hero engine will turn out for them.
jett
D-Member
(05-04-2012, 02:31 AM)
Sounds like the most generic MMO they could think of.
Kem0sabe
(05-04-2012, 02:31 AM)
Just read the pdf article... looks like a cash grab, it has nothing of TES in it, except for the mangled lore.
balladofwindfishes
(05-04-2012, 02:32 AM)
I don't know how the lore is going to work 1000 years in the past.

I was under the impression a lot of the familiar towns in the Elder scrolls were only a few hundred years old at the max, a few (like Winterhold) are older, but the vast majority are newish.

I certainly didn't think Riften is 1000 years old.
RealDeadOne

"This time, saving the world from the awakening of ancient evil is only the beginning. What happens when hundreds or thousands of prophesied heroes all think that they should be Emperor?"

Why was this even necessary? All you needed to say was "This is Tamriel, you live here, go have adventures!"
br0ken_shad0w
Bethesda's gameplay is pretty bad as well, but huge, detailed, sandbox worlds and mods are why I play the Elder Scrolls series. MMO-style basically kills that.

I can't wait to see what excuse/lore they come up when Cyrodiil still isn't a jungle.

Evlar
Banned
(05-04-2012, 02:33 AM)

-The game is fully voice acted

Why oh why oh why do MMO developers think this is a good idea?
AnathemicOne
(05-04-2012, 02:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Evlar

Why oh why oh why do MMO developers think this is a good idea?

Blame the stupidity and fail that is BioWare
Mango Positive
(05-04-2012, 02:36 AM)
Yeah... I don't play MMOs on principle. I'll only pay for a game once at the beginning, and I don't like interacting with other humans in my RPGs. I'm in it for the story and when the story's done, I'm out. I hope poor performance doesn't discourage their forthcoming next gen Black Marsh masterpiece.
Valhelm
contribute something
The Elder Scrolls is probably my favorite game franchise. Seeing the series churning out what seems to be another generic fantasy MMO alike to World of Warcraft or Rift is disappointing, to say the least. However, I'll be playing it as soon as I can get my hands on an adequate computer. Though I don't prefer MMOs, I would jump at any chance to discover the new lore and experience ancient Tamriel first-hand.
la flama blanca
Banned
I imagined a different game. I didn't get excited at all reading that.
DeliciousDoc
(05-04-2012, 02:37 AM)
Flacid.

There are too many mmos focused on running around killing stuff with cooldowns "just cuz". when are they going to go back to the aspect of living in a world and killing stuff "if you want" rather than making it the whole purpose of the game? Elder scrolls was suited to this as it drew inspiration from ultima. But no, we get this shit again.
Oblivionmancer
(05-04-2012, 02:37 AM)
Sounds like another shitty amusement park, when Tamriel could have made a great sandbox. And class based? What a letdown. At least we got the horrible news quickly, so I only had to waste a few hours on the pointless hope that this could be good! Yay! :(