• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triple H |OT| February Wrasslin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good Raw tonight. The HHH/Undertaker promo dragged on forever, but other than that and the women's match, it was good stuff. I'm glad they already had HHH agree to the match. I thought we were gonna have to see 2 or 3 more weeks of Undertaker giving HHH verbal blowjobs to agree. I would have let the Santino/Bryan match go longer and cancel the women's match. Bryan vs Punk tomorrow again on live Smackdown? Fuck yes.

DiscoJon

Banned
Just got done watching RAW. Wade getting hurt sucks, hope he can get back soon.

I'm guessing Trips vs Baldertaker will end with 'Taker pulling out a win at the end, but then THE GAME ™ destroying 'Taker involving the HIAC cage somehow. That way the streak can end unbeaten and, by god, we can FINALLY get that HHH over by ending the Undertakers career.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Also, what the heck are they going to do for six more weeks? The Cena/Rock event is set, the HHH/Taker event is set, the WWE title match is officially set, the WHC title match is officially set, what's left? If they're going to do a Money in the Bank match, that doesn't actually need any setup; you just say "there will be a MITB match and here are the guys."

Now what? Everybody just wrestles in circles for a month and a half with none of the matches meaning anything? I mean WWE has made darn sure that nobody cares about the US title, which hasn't mattered since the night Zack Ryder won it. Cody Rhodes doesn't have any feuds going for a possible intercontinental title match, the only things going in the Diva division are Beth Phoenix killing everyone and Natalya farting, and the tag titles are essentially an excuse to have Rosa Mendes come out and look sexy.

I mean, theoretically they still have time to make some stuff happen, but it's like the stuff people care about is too set in stone and far away from Wrestlemania for anything to actually happen in the next month, and they're too CLOSE to Wrestlemania to make anyone care about the stuff they've been burying for the last year and a half.

Add to that the fact that half the roster is messed up with injuries, and things are actually in a pretty bad spot.

Kccitystar

Also, what the heck are they going to do for six more weeks? The Cena/Rock event is set, the HHH/Taker event is set, the WWE title match is officially set, the WHC title match is officially set, what's left? If they're going to do a Money in the Bank match, that doesn't actually need any setup; you just say "there will be a MITB match and here are the guys."

Now what? Everybody just wrestles in circles for a month and a half with none of the matches meaning anything? I mean WWE has made darn sure that nobody cares about the US title, which hasn't mattered since the night Zack Ryder won it. Cody Rhodes doesn't have any feuds going for a possible intercontinental title match, the only things going in the Diva division are Beth Phoenix killing everyone and Natalya farting, and the tag titles are essentially an excuse to have Rosa Mendes come out and look sexy.

I mean, theoretically they still have time to make some stuff happen, but it's like the stuff people care about is too set in stone and far away from Wrestlemania for anything to actually happen in the next month, and they're too CLOSE to Wrestlemania to make anyone care about the stuff they've been burying for the last year and a half.

Add to that the fact that half the roster is messed up with injuries, and things are actually in a pretty bad spot.

Tournaments to decide who becomes #1 contender for the tag titles and who gets a shot at the US title. This way the entire roster gets utilized

PWInsider recieved the following e-mail after Raw from a WWE wrestler who asked to remain anonymous regarding John Cena's promo on The Rock:

"He comes in to use WWE to get back the audience he lost doing Disney movies, which is fine but he's been back over a year and name one person he helped make a bigger star since then? No one. He's here for himself, he keeps to himself, and he keeps someone who's actually touring here all year from making a bigger payday at the bigger shows. It's all about making this the "biggest" Mania of all time. OK, then what do we do the rest of the year? Who's been made? You think he took ANY blame for Survivor not drawing? Of course not, but how do you feud with a guy on the Titantron? Cena nailed the guy dead on tonight. Say anything about HHH, Taker, etc. still being in the top spot but if they were needed to work the road, they would and they would still work their asses off as much as they needed to. Rock is out for Rock and the idea he's here to better anything but his own wallet is the biggest work of 2012."

I'm guessing we will be seeing several contract signings, debates, and 20 minute promos.

PWInsider recieved the following e-mail after Raw from a WWE wrestler who asked to remain anonymous regarding John Cena's promo on The Rock:

That's bullshit written by a jealous wrestler, that fails to realize that Rock being there is gonna most likely give the idiot the biggest payday for a ppv he's ever received. During his time as a wrestler he put more people over or attempted to atleast than any other main eventer.

DiscoJon

Banned
That's bullshit written by a jealous wrestler, that fails to realize that Rock being there is gonna most likely give the idiot the biggest payday for a ppv he's ever received. During his time as a wrestler he put more people over or attempted to atleast than any other main eventer.

Like who? Who did the Rock put over?

Just finished watching. Thanks guys for the you tube links. Man I feel so sorry for Wade, I tried replaying The spot, but I couldn't tell if he hyperextend it or what. I guess from what you guys have said it's very serious.

Cena did well, he actually kinda hit some thighs close to home that made sence. Still I know. The Rock will embarass him next week. I hate Cena's character which by all accounts is not a character so therefore I guess I hate Cena.

Punk on commentary is so good, and makes me realize just how much I love watching him.

Some perfectly valid points there, but sweeping Undertaker and especially HHH under the rug like that is a joke. Who has HHH put over in the past year? Hell, he came in and stole the spotlight from the biggest angle in years which concluded in his beating the most over guy in the company. Piss on the Rock all you want, but HHH and the Undertaker are no different (or in some cases worse) at this point

Htown

Tournaments to decide who becomes #1 contender for the tag titles and who gets a shot at the US title. This way the entire roster gets utilized

Why do a full tournament for those titles instead of, I don't know, doing a full tournament for #1 contender for the WWE title? That way you get weeks and weeks of guys fighting JUST FOR THE CHANCE to get the title at Wrestlemania, you get weeks of buildup of Jericho going through guy after guy after guy and zeroing in on Punk, and Jericho proving he has a claim to challenge Punk's "best in the world" title by going through all these guys. You make the title seem like a bigger deal, you make Jericho seem like a bigger deal, and then whenever somebody loses in the tournament, maybe that spins them off into the Money in the Bank match or another feud for the IC or US or tag titles. When Show loses, let that be the night Shaq shows up for their dumb feud. Have Cody drop out in such a way that it starts a feud with somebody else for the IC title. Whatever.

Instead, you're going to say "we have six weeks till Wrestlemania, we'd better settle who fights for the WWE title with a Battle Royale match the night after the preceding PPV"?

Kccitystar

Why do a full tournament for those titles instead of, I don't know, doing a full tournament for #1 contender for the WWE title? That way you get weeks and weeks of guys fighting JUST FOR THE CHANCE to get the title at Wrestlemania, you get weeks of buildup of Jericho going through guy after guy after guy and zeroing in on Punk, and Jericho proving he has a claim to challenge Punk's "best in the world" title by going through all these guys. You make the title seem like a bigger deal, you make Jericho seem like a bigger deal, and then whenever somebody loses in the tournament, maybe that spins them off into the Money in the Bank match or another feud for the IC or US or tag titles. When Show loses, let that be the night Shaq shows up for their dumb feud. Have Cody drop out in such a way that it starts a feud with somebody else for the IC title. Whatever.

Instead, you're going to say "we have six weeks till Wrestlemania, we'd better settle who fights for the WWE title with a Battle Royale match the night after the preceding PPV"?

Oh no I don't disagree with you in the slightest, I think the battle royale was a poor booking decision

XenoRaven

I have mixed feelings about this "Rock is out for himself" mentality. My gut tells me he's back to promote himself and his movies. True. At the same time, Rock/Cena is going to bring way more attention to WM this year than Punk/Cena or whatever other combination that could potentially happen. So in that regard, more attention brought to the PPV means more viewers. If you're on the card for WM this year, that means you have a wider audience to show off what you can do. Frankly, in terms of pure wrestling, I think Punk and Jericho will steal the show. Ziggler will potentially have the opportunity to show off his skills in a MitB match. At the same time, I can understand someone who's there busting their ass every night being miffed that Rock swoops in to hog the spotlight and then just leaves. I didn't watch a lot of wrestling past 2000-2001, but I don't recall the Rock having to take a backseat to the guys that came before him when he was at the top of the company. Him coming back is a hurdle for all the current guys that he never had to go over.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I have mixed feelings about this "Rock is out for himself" mentality. My gut tells me he's back to promote himself and his movies. True. At the same time, Rock/Cena is going to bring way more attention to WM this year than Punk/Cena or whatever other combination that could potentially happen. So in that regard, more attention brought to the PPV means more viewers. If you're on the card for WM this year, that means you have a wider audience to show off what you can do. Frankly, in terms of pure wrestling, I think Punk and Jericho will steal the show. Ziggler will potentially have the opportunity to show off his skills in a MitB match. At the same time, I can understand someone who's there busting their ass every night being miffed that Rock swoops in to hog the spotlight and then just leaves. I didn't watch a lot of wrestling past 2000-2001, but I don't recall the Rock having to take a backseat to the guys that came before him when he was at the top of the company. Him coming back is a hurdle for all the current guys that he never had to go over.
Stone cold and punk with months of build up.

Htown

At the same time, Rock/Cena is going to bring way more attention to WM this year than Punk/Cena or whatever other combination that could potentially happen.

I guess, but I still wonder what could have happened if they hadn't completely smothered the Punk vs Cena angle with all that HHH bullshit. They had the mainstream on the edge of their seats, paying attention for the first time in forever, and here comes Hunter THE NEXT NIGHT and suddenly it's about Kevin Nash and Text Messages and Hunner Something Could Happen.

That's kind of the problem with setting your Wrestlemania main event a full year in advance. You lock yourself in and force yourself not to capitalize on anything awesome that happens in the meantime.

XenoRaven

Stone cold and punk with months of build up.
This is where I turn into a hypocrite because I would really love to see this.

Htown said:
I guess, but I still wonder what could have happened if they hadn't completely smothered the Punk vs Cena angle with all that HHH bullshit. They had the mainstream on the edge of their seats, paying attention for the first time in forever, and here comes Hunter THE NEXT NIGHT and suddenly it's about Kevin Nash and Text Messages and Hunner Something Could Happen.

That's kind of the problem with setting your Wrestlemania main event a full year in advance. You lock yourself in and force yourself not to capitalize on anything awesome that happens in the meantime.
I think about this every time Punk comes out to cut a forced face promo.

RAW_978_Photo_013.jpg

Sucks about Wade Barrett, but to quote my boy, Keyser Soze, "All these white British fuckers are the same."

Plug in Drew McIntyre.

DiscoJon

Banned
I'll give you guys saying that the Rock put over Lesnar, maybe even the Hurricane. But Jericho? Jericho didn't need to be put "over", he was "over" the second that he premiered. Even though he premiered during a Rock promo, the Rock didn't "put him over" so to speak. Hell, he didn't even feud with the Rock for another, what, two years?

I'll give you guys saying that the Rock put over Lesnar, maybe even the Hurricane. But Jericho? Jericho didn't need to be put "over", he was "over" the second that he premiered. Even though he premiered during a Rock promo, the Rock didn't "put him over" so to speak. Hell, he didn't even feud with the Rock for another, what, two years?

Jericho premiered high in the WWE but quickly wallowed in the mid to low card while he struggled capturing the WWE style. He wasn't over as a main guy, hell he was feuding with Chyna for months and being laughed at by DX (read his books). He spent his first several years in and out of intercontinental championship contention. It wasn't until Jericho's feud with the Rock in 2001 that he got over as a main eventer. This lead to his first world title (when he beat the Rock) and shortly after the unified title (where he beat the Rock again).

Jericho premiered high in the WWE but quickly wallowed in the mid to low card while he struggled capturing the WWE style. He wasn't over as main guy, hell he was feuding with Chyna for months. He spent his first several years in and out of intercontinental championship contention. It wasn't until Jericho's feud with the Rock in 2001 that he got over as a main eventer. This lead to his first world title (when he beat the Rock) and shortly after the unified title (where he beat the Rock again).

I invite you to go listen to the crowd from Jericho's fake WWF Title win over HHH in April 2000 and tell me he wasn't over.

Yeah, and Jericho didn't need the Rock to put him over, because he was already over.

My head hurts with all the nonsense "over" talk.

Santino is over, but he's not over as a main eventer. You can't have Santino main event Wrestlemania at this point, that's similar to the Jericho/HHH match of 2000. Jericho had just dropped the European title, yes the European title when he got the fake title win over HHH. It was just like the flash in a pan push that Santino just had (only not as big, because Jericho wasn't a joke character) After his mini-feud with HHH (where he never won a match) Jericho went back to intercontinental level, followed by tag teaming with Benoit. It wasn't until the Rock put him over that Jericho was a main eventer

Kccitystar

Just saw Cena's promo on Rock...

I liked it.

I'm still on the fence as to why I should care about the Rock/Cena matchup, and maybe it's because there is nothing there that would lead me to think Rock would come out victorious in his own hometown. Everything going for it just reeks of "status quo, CENAWINSLOL"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm still on the fence as to why I should care about the Rock/Cena matchup, and maybe it's because there is nothing there that would lead me to think Rock would come out victorious in his own hometown. Everything going for it just reeks of "status quo, CENAWINSLOL"
Eh, I'm not sure what to think of the end results but I did enjoy Cena not talking about respect and cutting a genuine promo.

UberTag

I can think of one person The Rock put over more than anyone as both a heel AND a face that hasn't been mentioned yet... Mick Foley.

I'm also having a hard time seeing much of a difference between wrestlers having a bone to pick with Dwayne for "stealing their precious WrestleMania build time" over what Melina/Gail Kim pulled on Trish Stratus for doing the exact same thing last year. Trish took a precious divas spot away and JoMo was reduced to being a little bitch for 9 months because of his girlfriend. At least Dwayne will bring in a buyrate spike. What did Trish do? Nothing.

Lastly, I'll acknowledge that Cena's spiteful promo tonight against The Rock was a needed breath of fresh air needed to get people engaged in the outcome of this match meaning anything... but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was good. It reeked a ton of Vince McMahon BS. Still all bitter over Dwayne having the audacity to leave the WWE and make a more lucrative career for himself elsewhere instead of making shitty direct-to-Walmart movies for WWE Films.

And Cena calling himself a "wrestler" made me vomit a little in my mouth. It was a poor man's "Summer of CM Punk" impression.

Is Rock vs Cena gonna be the WM Main Event... or HHH vs Taker? Are they gonna have a Diva match before those two, which effectively pushes Jericho vs Punk down to forth last? Bryan vs Sheamus is obviously gonna be the curtain jerker, I guess.

NOOOOO! I'm genuinely gutted that the Barrett Barrage has been derailed, God Damn it!
It's not fair, despite the fact he would likely be doing nothing of note at Wrestlemania my hype for the show has decreased further.

On the other hand HIAC stipulation for Taker/HHH 3 is just what they needed, I actually have hope that these two would be able to make good use of the gimmick, plus it's like a battle of the two most prominent wrestlers of the match gimmick itself, shame though that we never got to see Baldertaker.

Is Rock vs Cena gonna be the WM Main Event... or HHH vs Taker? Are they gonna have a Diva match before those two, which effectively pushes Jericho vs Punk down to forth last? Bryan vs Sheamus is obviously gonna be the curtain jerker, I guess.
Cena/Rock will undoubtedly be the main event. I'll imagine it'll be something like WM 24 (just substitute the ECW match with the WHC... and hopefully longer than 8 seconds):

Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus
Undertaker vs. Triple H
Diva's Match
CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho
Big Show vs. Shaq
John Cena vs. Rock

They should have MITB curtain jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom