• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: Smash hit Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) sold 500k copies

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yet they apparently don't have money to fund next gen fighting games.

GTFO Ono, no one is believing that bullshit. If you want people to buy USFIV say it upfront.

Before Christian Svensson left Capcom, he mentioned that the publisher had other future projects planned for Wii U. He also said not to expect many ports of titles such as Resident Evil 6 and Lost Planet 3. Although, the next game that came out from it on Wii U was Resident Evil: Revelations HD. Of course, given how poorly Wii U has done this year, Capcom could have cancelled some projects for it.

It will be interesting to see what home console the next Monster Hunter game comes out on. PS4 seems to have the advantage in terms of a potentially bigger install base (it's not like Japanese gamers haven't expressed much interest in Wii U this year), but Capcom has a good relationship with Nintendo, and may be more willing to assist in reducing development costs among other things.

Man they can keep LP3 if they can give me an LP2 Colonies Edition for Wii U.

Third-party games do well on Nintendo consoles when the Nintendo console is the flagship platform.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed, Trine 2: Director's Cut and Rayman Legends say "Well, Hello there!!"

They do well when they're done well, and they actually care to promote that those versions exist. It helps that these games get all the same content, online elements, DLC and features as the other versions, and are released at the same time. The vast majority of such games don't tick all of these boxes, and they don't follow through on these things, so they're either disadvantaged, sent to their death, or both. Or, in the case of Mass Effect 3, you could go in to your local games store at launch, and buy the same game for less than half the price elsewhere, or buy the single entry for the same price as the trilogy, also released elsewhere. In this climate, these are the type of decisions which people are making before they part with their money. Nintendo fans are not to blame for developer and publishing house failures, and it's not on those fans to be 'grateful'. It's on developer and publishing houses to deliver on their products, and collectively, they have failed the Wii U, Nintendo and Nintendo fans there.

shaowebb

Capcom needed this pretty badly. Glad to see they hit these sales figures.Gripe as we might about all the things they've done wrong I really dont want to see them continue to fail. I'd much rather they turn it all around and correct their mistakes than be taken down.

Here's hoping they can hit a few more target sales goals soon with Deep Down and a few others.

Glad it did so well!

WiiU version was solid. Hopefully this sends a clear message that Capcom should continue to expand the series globally

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed, Trine 2: Director's Cut and Rayman Legends say "Well, Hello there!!"

They do well when they're done well, and they actually care to promote that those versions exist. It helps that these games get all the same content, online elements, DLC and features as the other versions, and are released at the same time. The vast majority of such games don't tick all of these boxes, and they don't follow through on these things, so they're either disadvantaged, sent to their death, or both. Or, in the case of Mass Effect 3, you could go in to your local games store at launch, and buy the same game for less than half the price elsewhere, or buy the single entry for the same price as the trilogy, also released elsewhere. In this climate, these are the type of decisions which people are making before they part with their money. Nintendo fans are not to blame for developer and publishing house failures, and it's not on those fans to be 'grateful'. It's on developer and publishing houses to deliver on their products, and collectively, they have failed the Wii U, Nintendo and Nintendo fans there.

I thought Rayman Legends sold like shit? I need someone to confirm this.

Kid Ying

I completely disagree. There are some games really gimped or in a bad position, but some other games had no excuses, like Revelations HD, where the Wiiu got a lot exposure and all. Need for speed also was marketed as the best version, Tekken Tag 2...

There's not to say there's only bad stories. Rayman, Sonic... Those games shows that there is an audience there. To say that there's no one buying games for the system is a lie, but to put the blame of every failure of the system is also not the right way either.

Either way, if i remember right, Capcom overshipped the wiiu version of revelations as all hell, so they probably consider ir a sucess too.

sörine

Banned
Where are people getting that Capcom was dissapointed in Wii U sales of Revelations HD?

In their most recent press release regarding sales numbers, Capcom included download card + eShop sales along with shipments.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e131015.html
Oh cool! So it's safe to assume digital sales are included from here on out? I wonder if the old Platinum charts numbers will be adjusted for digital too?

That's a lot more than I expected. So basically half of its sales (well shipped copies lol) came from the West. Makes me hopeful for MH4.

Huff

Banned
Yet they apparently don't have money to fund next gen fighting games.

GTFO Ono, no one is believing that bullshit. If you want people to buy USFIV say it upfront.

500k may be decent for a rehash console monster hunter but its definitely not a lot of sales compared to normal capcom games. Or at least what they want out of their games

sörine;87682909 said:
Where are people getting that Capcom was dissapointed in Wii U sales of Revelations HD?

they never said that they were dissapointed with the WiiU version's sales afaik.
RE:R HD "bombed"(I don't believe that the HD versions were that expensive to develop to begin with...) on every console equally, not just WiiU.
I'm pretty sure capcom didn't lose any cash on RE:R HD though

Calamari41

41 > 38
Link? Not doubting you, but I hadn't heard about that so just curious.

I don't have the time at the moment to go back for the direct quote, but creamsugar (or one of the verified insiders) confirmed in the latest NPD thread that Rayman sold 55% of copies on Wii U, which is an incredible number because Wii U probably represents like 1% of systems that the game came out for.

Tripon

I don't have the time at the moment to go back for the direct quote, but creamsugar (or one of the verified insiders) confirmed in the latest NPD thread that Rayman sold 55% of copies on Wii U, which is an incredible number because Wii U probably represents like 1% of systems that the game came out for.

Ubisoft panicking and delaying Rayman Legends never made sense to me. Even if you wanted to take it multiplatform, they should have let the Wii U version release in Feb as planned, and just release the 360/Vita/PC/PS3 version when they could.

As it played out, all it did was cost them potential Wii U sales, because Wii U owners were starved for content and Rayman would have been something they tried out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I would trade all the Western 3rd party ports in the world for MH4 HD.

Come on Capcom.

Exile20

Ubisoft panicking and delaying Rayman Legends never made sense to me. Even if you wanted to take it multiplatform, they should have let the Wii U version release in Feb as planned, and just release the 360/Vita/PC/PS3 version when they could.

As it played out, all it did was cost them potential Wii U sales, because Wii U owners were starved for content and Rayman would have been something they tried out.

That might have lead to more consoles sales also. Oh well.

Chindogg

Japanese developer - 500k = smash hit

American developer - 500k = flop, close down studio, burn ashes

Slight difference here.

Upscaled textures from portable games, core gameplay exceptionally enjoyable - 500k = smash hit

Full FMV, famous voice acting, huge cinematic story - 500k = burn the studio down

Calamari41

41 > 38

I definitely agree with you here, although I fear that I would have been disappointed in the amount of content in the game if it had released without the Invaded levels or the Back to Origins levels.

Though I think it was originally going to be like $40, so I would have been fine with that and then maybe a "game of the year" DLC pack containing the added content later.

Top Bottom