• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

L95

Chapter 6 is interesting, though I don't know what to expect from it. I'll just keep my expectations low and assume it's a postgame combined party for dlc missions :p

Draxal

I really liked Hidari's updates of the old character designs.

The old female characters had battle leotards for the most parts, and it doesn't like that continues.

Sölf

Well, I need to avoid the internet for the next month it seems. No matter how good the art and the sound is, I will try to avoid all of it. xD

But yeah, 1 1/2 months!

I caved in enough to listen to the first two seconds, I think I'm okay on holding off until I can play the game now.

Technically, Yuka Tsujiyoko...

tch. arranger then.
although, that chapter 6 should have new composed tracks (unless they recycled & remix other tracks as well?).....

Im trying to finally get through Fates Birthright now (and then Conquest after), but Im having a lot of trouble. Both in terms of the story and also the difficulty. I have casually played FE games over the years, but never really beat any of them, but Awakening was one of my favourite games ever, I really enjoyed it. But in Fates, Corrin sucks, haha, which makes the whole story not as fun.

The other issue is difficulty. Im for some reason, having a REALLY hard time with this game. Im playing it on normal I think (is that the 2 stars on the save screen?) which is what I played Awakening on, and I didnt have too much trouble in that game. But Birthright is supposed to be easy as hell, but here I am on chapter 15 getting my ass handed to me, and Ive had issues on earlier levels as well.

I guess I just need help, but Im not sure with what specifically. Haha. HELP!

Im trying to finally get through Fates Birthright now (and then Conquest after), but Im having a lot of trouble. Both in terms of the story and also the difficulty. I have casually played FE games over the years, but never really beat any of them, but Awakening was one of my favourite games ever, I really enjoyed it. But in Fates, Corrin sucks, haha, which makes the whole story not as fun.

The other issue is difficulty. Im for some reason, having a REALLY hard time with this game. Im playing it on normal I think (is that the 2 stars on the save screen?) which is what I played Awakening on, and I didnt have too much trouble in that game. But Birthright is supposed to be easy as hell, but here I am on chapter 15 getting my ass handed to me, and Ive had issues on earlier levels as well.

I guess I just need help, but Im not sure with what specifically. Haha. HELP!

2 stars=hard mode

Who are you using and what are their stats?

2 stars=hard mode

Who are you using and what are their stats?

Oh, shit. I should turn it down to normal then, haha. That probably explains everything.

I mix up my team a bit, but mostly:

Corrin 16 - hp 27 - atk 25 - crit 5 - hit 113 - avo 34
Azura 16 - hp 20 - atk 20 - crit 0 - hit 133 - avo 37
Setsuna 17 - hp 27 - atk 23 - crit 6 - hit 99 - avo 35
Felecia 15 - hp 25 - atk 10 - crit 7 - hit 128 - avo 35
Takumi 20 - hp 30 - atk 34 - crit 16 - hit 124 - avo 41
Silas 14 - hp 26 - atk 29 - crit 6 - hit 116 - avo 22
Hana 15 - hp 24 - atk 23 - crit 5 - hit 112 - avo 33
Kagero 15 - hp 22 - atk 22 - crit 3 - hit 105 - avo 28
Orochi 16 - hp 25 - atk 25 - crit 7 - hit 111 - avo 24
Reina 3 - hp 30 - atk 27 - cirt 5 - hit 98 - avo 38
Ryoma 5 - hp 37 - atk 37 - crit 22 - hit 117 - avo 68
Oboro - 13 - hp 27 - atk 23 - crit 4 - hit 100 - avo 20

People get swapped in and out though, but some stay in more than others.

The fight against Camilla was rough as hell, and this chapter 15 is kicking my ass too. I had some issues in fights in Awakening for sure, but nothing even close to this, and this is the "easy baby game" haha.

I really should drop the difficulty down. I thought I was on normal already.

Erheller

Oh, shit. I should turn it down to normal then, haha. That probably explains everything.

I mix up my team a bit, but mostly:

Corrin 16 - hp 27 - atk 25 - crit 5 - hit 113 - avo 34
Azura 16 - hp 20 - atk 20 - crit 0 - hit 133 - avo 37
Setsuna 17 - hp 27 - atk 23 - crit 6 - hit 99 - avo 35
Felecia 15 - hp 25 - atk 10 - crit 7 - hit 128 - avo 35
Takumi 20 - hp 30 - atk 34 - crit 16 - hit 124 - avo 41
Silas 14 - hp 26 - atk 29 - crit 6 - hit 116 - avo 22
Hana 15 - hp 24 - atk 23 - crit 5 - hit 112 - avo 33
Kagero 15 - hp 22 - atk 22 - crit 3 - hit 105 - avo 28
Orochi 16 - hp 25 - atk 25 - crit 7 - hit 111 - avo 24
Reina 3 - hp 30 - atk 27 - cirt 5 - hit 98 - avo 38
Ryoma 5 - hp 37 - atk 37 - crit 22 - hit 117 - avo 68
Oboro - 13 - hp 27 - atk 23 - crit 4 - hit 100 - avo 20

People get swapped in and out though, but some stay in more than others.

The fight against Camilla was rough as hell, and this chapter 15 is kicking my ass too. I had some issues in fights in Awakening for sure, but nothing even close to this, and this is the "easy baby game" haha.

I really should drop the difficulty down. I thought I was on normal already.

Haven't played through Birthright, but I played Conquest enough so hopefully this applies to Birthright too.

Unless you're grinding a lot, there's not enough experience to go around for a team and a half. Your units are probably underleveled.

Use pair-up a lot instead of the attack stance. It's got much more utility than attack stance because it 1) disables enemy attack stance, 2) block enemy attacks a lot, and 3) can use pair-up fodder (units you don't actually train or use in battle but use for their pair-up bonuses).

Edit: What also pops out at me is that you have 3 archers. Birthright is a very enemy-phase-heavy game, and archers generally can't counterattack at 1 range, so they're dead weight during the enemy phase.

Haven't played through Birthright, but I played Conquest enough so hopefully this applies to Birthright too.

Unless you're grinding a lot, there's not enough experience to go around for a team and a half. Your units are probably underleveled.

Use pair-up a lot instead of the attack stance. It's got much more utility than attack stance because it 1) disables enemy attack stance, 2) block enemy attacks a lot, and 3) can use pair-up fodder (units you don't actually train or use in battle but use for their pair-up bonuses).

Edit: What also pops out at me is that you have 3 archers. Birthright is a very enemy-phase-heavy game, and archers generally can't counterattack at 1 range, so they're dead weight during the enemy phase.

Attack stance? Is that just attack or is it something I dont know about? haha. I used pairs a LOT in Awakening, but I havent used it as much here for some reason (I think I heard that they toned it down or something).

The 3 archer thing is kinda new. I used Setsuna a lot, but Takumi Ive more recently started using, and I think Reina is really recent, but I will look into replacing one of them.

edit:
Honestly you can just leave Ryoma in front and he can clear most enemies.

Yeah, Ryoma is OP as fuck, haha. There is a reason hes way up there in level, haha.

spiritfox

Attack stance? Is that just attack or is it something I dont know about? haha. I used pairs a LOT in Awakening, but I havent used it as much here for some reason (I think I heard that they toned it down or something).

The 3 archer thing is kinda new. I used Setsuna a lot, but Takumi Ive more recently started using, and I think Reina is really recent, but I will look into replacing one of them.

edit:

Yeah, Ryoma is OP as fuck, haha. There is a reason hes way up there in level, haha.

Attack stance is basically if you have a unpaired unit next to another unit, the other unit will attack together with your unit.

Im off to a good start on this level just from grouping people up. So I will play this like I did Awakening and just decide on who will be "couples" and group them together 100% of the time, haha.

Thanks everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xghea9PioRs

Some preview of the game dropped with basically the entire intro with English voice acting (which sounds absolutely phenomenal, potentially the equal of Persona 5's dub). The dialogue is also sounding really strong.

It's also definitely the longest introduction sequence to a fire emblem game after Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem's extended prologs.

Chrom

*revives*

Well, Echoes is almost here. Thankfully the wait since the Japanese release isn't so bad. Next weekend can't come soon enough!

C_Sd5I6V0AAx5BS.png

In the meantime, it'll be nice to be tided over with new Cipher card reveals. The new set's going to have characters from Echoes, but also Tellius characters and characters from Elibe as well, in particular those from the Hasha no Tsurugi manga. Personally expecting Al's ridiculous level of power to be adapted in some capacity.

Indeed. Very soon, a new generation of fans will experience the wonders and joys (and banal maps) of Gaiden for the first time. I'm so excited and I hope the game sells well to warrant future remakes, because it really is a well-made package.

Also, Hidari's art is amazing as usual.

Golnei

I'm in the same situation. I'm likely going to get it eventually, but I'd be far more enthusiastic if they'd overhauled that aspect - why did they feel like they needed to stick so closely to the original map design, to the detriment of the game as a whole?

Lynx_7

I don't know, if I had to choose between "faithful to a fault" or "took too many liberties", I'd rather stick with the first if only because I want them to be as close as possible to the source when (if) we get to Jugdral. Better maps would be nice but it's also interesting to me, as someone who has never played Gaiden, to get to experience it as it was, warts and all, just with much better presentation and QOL changes. Meanwhile, New Mystery of the Emblem is stuck with Kris. Ideally they should find a middle ground though, for sure.

Golnei

I don't know, if I had to choose between "faithful to a fault" or "took too many liberties", I'd rather stick with the first if only because I want them to be as close as possible to the source when (if) we get to Jugdral. Better maps would be nice, but it's also interesting to me, as someone who never played Gaiden, to get to experience it as it was, warts and all, but with much better presentation and QOL changes. Meanwhile, New Mystery of the Emblem is stuck with Kris. Ideally they should find a middle ground though, for sure.

If this means a hypothetical set of 4 and 5 remakes will be as faithful, I can see how the approach would be worthwhile, but I guess I'm kind of hoping they'd have been able to look at what worked in the original and what wasn't looked on as fondly when making larger changes - not to the point of homogenising the series and removing the features that distinguish each game; but rather being able to decide when a change like revamped map design could be needed and wanted - as opposed to when adapting entries for which it wasn't a notable weakness. In derivative works, what constitutes 'too many liberties' will always be intensely subjective, however.

Dealing with 4's larger maps, for example; would be an interesting example of a roughly similar dilemma, though more to do with QoL than base design - would they use checkpoints, would they rely on manual in-battle saves; which could still be used in Classic mode by way of being quicksaves that can only be loaded once, like in the US N64 version of Majora's Mask?

As I implied, I don't like the maps, but I feel like the issue isn't that grave. Not enough to put off a purchase, but I suppose each to their own.

At least during my first playthrough, I thoroughly enjoyed the game despite the lacklustre maps. It does feel weird they stuck so closely to the original, but I prefer it like that. Kind of makes up for us not getting the original Gaiden, in a way.

That said, I would have loved additional difficulty modes to make the battles more interesting on subsequent playthroughs. For me, the lack of Lunatic is the really serious crime.

Draxal

Indeed. Very soon, a new generation of fans will experience the wonders and joys (and banal maps) of Gaiden for the first time. I'm so excited and I hope the game sells well to warrant future remakes, because it really is a well-made package.

Also, Hidari's art is amazing as usual.

My problem with this, is FE Heroes art is so banal.

Cipher's highs are much higher than Heroes.

PK Gaming

I don't know, if I had to choose between "faithful to a fault" or "took too many liberties", I'd rather stick with the first if only because I want them to be as close as possible to the source when (if) we get to Jugdral. Better maps would be nice but it's also interesting to me, as someone who has never played Gaiden, to get to experience it as it was, warts and all, just with much better presentation and QOL changes. Meanwhile, New Mystery of the Emblem is stuck with Kris. Ideally they should find a middle ground though, for sure.

The map design is very poor and honestly not worth experiencing for the first time. I really wish they reworked them from the ground up, even if it meant cutting maps or making them shorter.

You bring up New Mystery, but that game has superb gameplay and its infinitely replayable due to its solid core gameplay (even if its ugly as sin). When they get around to remaking Jugdral, I really hope they work hard at making the maps more fun.

Lynx_7

If this means a hypothetical set of 4 and 5 remakes will be as faithful, I can see how the approach would be worthwhile, but I guess I'm kind of hoping they'd have been able to look at what worked in the original and what wasn't looked on as fondly when making larger changes - not to the point of homogenising the series and removing the features that distinguish each game; but rather being able to decide when a change like revamped map design could be needed and wanted - as opposed to when adapting entries for which it wasn't a notable weakness. In derivative works, what constitutes 'too many liberties' will always be intensely subjective, however.

Dealing with 4's larger maps, for example; would be an interesting example of a roughly similar dilemma, though more to do with QoL than base design - would they use checkpoints, would they rely on manual in-battle saves; which could still be used in Classic mode by way of being quicksaves that can only be loaded once, like in the US N64 version of Majora's Mask?

I see where you're coming from, and I was thinking about Genealogy's larger maps myself. I've seen some people suggest they should redo them in bit-sized chapters (essentially cutting them up to be closer in size to the rest of the franchise) and I couldn't be more opposed to the idea. The larger maps give a distinct dynamic to Genealogy that I don't see as a flaw. In fact, I really like them.

Thinking about it, the improvements seen in later titles would already be enough to cut the tedium in FE4 to a minimun. Being able to skip enemy phases would be a HUGE time saver, for example. They could also give mounted units the Rescue command to allow them to carry low-mov units around, or implement the pair-up system. If there's any pre-Awakening game where pair-ups would make sense, it's 4. Obviously they'd need to rebalance enemies accordingly, but it'd be interesting seeing things like (chapter 10 spoilers)
Julius and Ishtar as a monstrous paired-up unit that you need to deal with
. :p
Also the better interface means you won't need to speed minus weight ever again. Trading gold and items I'm a bit conflicted about. On one hand, I agree with an argument I read concerning how the more limited trading system creates a sense of "ownership" between a unit and their weapons/rings/bands. On the other hand I feel like I wouldn't miss it that much if it was gone.
There will still be some downtime even with the aforementioned changes but the game would already be significantly sped up with modern QOL features. Also those moments before the two (or three, or four) armies clash are kinda nice anyway. The calm before the storm.

As for the save system, I could either take seize castle = checkpoint or the current "save at the start of the turn". Maybe both: the latter for Easy/Normal (Casual and Classic) and the former for Hard/Lunatic (Classic only?). The only problem with the checkpoint system is that 4's turns already take a long ass time as it is. Imagine if you lose before seizing the first castle and have to redo the first turn aaaaall over again. Unless they make the whole Arena and shopping shenanigans a "My Castle" kind of feature before missions. That would actually be kind of nice, now that I think about it.

That said, I would have loved additional difficulty modes to make the battles more interesting on subsequent playthroughs. For me, the lack of Lunatic is the really serious crime.
Wait, there's no Lunatic mode? Pre-order cancelled.
jk, but that's a bummer

My problem with this, is FE Heroes art is so banal.

Cipher's highs are much higher than Heroes.

Hmm, yeah, Heroes is really hit and miss. Not sure why TBH since they must be raking in the cash. Or maybe that's the problem. (Whereas Cipher really needs good art to sell.)

Still, I am happy that the likes of Senri Kita and Sachiko Wada have worked on Heroes, but I do feel like there should be more talent on board. On the plus side, I am ecstatic that Fuzichoco and Kippu are here.

Draxal

Hmm, yeah, Heroes is really hit and miss. Not sure why TBH since they must be raking in the cash. Or maybe that's the problem. (Whereas Cipher really needs good art to sell.)

Still, I am happy that the likes of Senri Kita and Sachiko Wada have worked on Heroes, but I do feel like there should be more talent on board. On the plus side, I am ecstatic that Fuzichoco and Kippu are here.

Its just frustrating when we get Hidari art for her characters in the official game, Cipher, but in Heroes, we don't.

Lynx_7

There is a hard mode.
Good enough I guess. But now I'm trying to imagine what a Lunatic Thracia 776 would look like.

The map design is very poor and honestly not worth experiencing for the first time. I really wish they reworked them from the ground up, even if it meant cutting maps or making them shorter.

You bring up New Mystery, but that game has superb gameplay and its infinitely replayable due to its solid core gameplay (even if its ugly as sin). When they get around to remaking Jugdral, I really hope they work hard at making the maps more fun.

I only brought up New Mystery to use Kris as a negative example of meddling too much with the original source. I'm sure the game must be great. (still need to beat Shadow Dragon first, I stopped a long time ago around chapter 14 or so)

I find the maps in Genealogy plenty of fun when they use their sheer size to keep you under pressure, like the mad dash to the castle in Chapter 2 or the constant onslaught of enemy units against
Leonster
in chapter 8. There are a few stinkers but as a whole I wouldn't say they're in desperate need of an overhaul or anything. My biggest criticism towards them is that the clusters of enemies incentivize turtling a bit too much.

Rutger

Banned
As someone who has struggled to stay interested long enough to make it even halfway through FE4 for the past 10 years or so, I hope they take some heavy liberties if they want to remake it.

Having everyone sit near a castle so they can get married while Sigurd and maybe a couple others clean up enemy armies has been a tedious and dull experience that I really hope they wouldn't want to be faithful to.

Chrom

Roy and Al!

C_X8FADVYAATf1s.png

Really cool how they got the original manga artist to do these. But poor Lance got his face covered by the sword...

Lynx_7

Goddamn Shadow Dragon Merciless is fucking heavy metal. I had to let Gordin die on chapter 1 because I just didn't want to deal with that first wave of enemies again. And then I had to luck out with a few crits and dodges to take down the boss. It was that or going through the very tedious process of breaking his weapon. Jesus. Though now I feel like I may be underleveled since I didn't abuse the shit out of that boss for some "easy" levels.

Do I keep trucking or should I just restart chapter 1 altogether and get everybody to, like, level 5 or something? I'm seriously considering just taking it down a notch or two but I don't like backing down from a challenge. lol

Chrom

C_cwM0DUwAEjGhU.png

Rafiel! The green cards in the new set will be mostly on the laguz characters, though we have already seen a new Ike too.

The Cipher Twitter confirmed that we'll be getting a look at the Cipher DLC in Echoes during this weekend's livestream. Think this is probably why it wasn't shown off earlier, as they wanted to discuss it first then.

Excited for the Cipher DLC.

Some mild spoilers.

Placeholder data for Emma, Shade, Yuzu and Lando can be found in the game code. Plus combined with the data-mined DLC map names, we are almost definitely getting all 4 characters.

From the looks of things, Emma, Yuzu and Lando may have their own Combat Arts as well. Shade doesn't get anything since she's probably a spell-caster.

Top Bottom