• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Switch Owner: Physical or Digital?

Just purchased a Nintendo Switch (gray joycons) yesterday when it was briefly in stock on Amazon. Can't wait to play Zelda and Mario Kart with the wife and 5 year old.

I haven't owned a nintendo console since the N64. I'm totally unaware of what the state of the digital marketplace is on Nintendo platforms. Should I just buy those two games physical, or is digital viable (i.e., are download speeds fast and such?)

I'm primarily a PC gamer so I've been all digital on PC for years, and when I owned an Xbone and PS4 I was all digital as well.

Might as well ask if there are any must own accessories as well.

Thanks!

Koppai

Downloads are really fast if you have good internet. I like physical just in case I want to sell my games in the future.

And if you are in the US and have Gamers Club Unlocked at Best Buy it's 20 percent off.

Neoxon

I mostly go physical whenever possible, I simply like having a physical collection. But now there's a legit account system, so going digital is a better option than before.

You will want to pickup a bigger microsd card if you are going digital. I prefer physical but it's really up to you. Get a case if you are using it portably.

playXray

Downloads are fine as the games are pretty small for the most part. Physical games are usually £10 or so cheaper though, and have good resale value.

I'm all digital, unless it's something I want to play then sell later.

SuperPac

All digital here. The cards are so small and I like having the convenience of bringing my library with me wherever/whenever.

kirblar

Get an SD card for sure if going digital at all.

Digital's a great option for Multiplayer games so you don't have to juggle carts.

qko

Digital.

Although I do hope those 2TB micro SD cards start rolling out in the next couple of years (at a reasonable price), because I've already knocked out a 1/4 of the 200GB one I got in my Switch

Thoraxes

I went all physical when possible. Digital for digital-only if it's a last resort. I even will import physical copies of games if they're available in other regions, like I Am Setsuna for instance (and will be doing with MHXX eventually too).

The amount of money you save with GCU/Prime adds up, and even more if you participate in Best Buy's rewards program. Not to mention an additional 5% off/money back with each store's respective credit cards. Then there's the $10 pre-order bonus for some games at Best Buy too, and it just makes it easier to buy more and more games. And then that's even before sale prices too. Then add in sale prices and the 20% off on those prices, and it just adds up.

I'm all about the digital. Especially on the go, I don't want to switch Switch carts. Plus, having 4 young kids pushes me away from anything that could be easily lost.

ethomaz

Banned
Physical... you can take how many cards you wish together... no download or delete data required... you can flip between games any time.

Big SD cards are a non go price wise and the space is not enough.

Plus physical is way cheaper.

I went physical coz I like having game cases but switching out games is slightly inconvenient tbh. I still think of it as a handheld so I like switching between games frequently.

spad3

All Digital here.

Being able to hop between games on the fly is so convenient I actually hate taking the cartridge out now.

I'll get physical for games I really want a box for [Mario+Rabbids and Mario Odyssey are physical for me forsure] or if they have sweet limited/collector's editions [i.e Zelda BotW] but everything else, digital. I picked up a 128GB card for it and it's all I'll need for now :)

13ruce

Banned
Physical saves space and money on extra space for the downloads on micro sd cards.

And it feels kinda retro to have videogame carts.

If you want you can buy the games you predict to play a real lot digital.

If you go physical i recommend a Switch Carry bag so that you can put your cards in there when you travel/take it with you in handheld mode.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Nintendo games are 100% physical.

They hold their resale value well and are great to trade back in.

KingBroly

Banned
Depends on the game, honestly.

I went digital with MK8D, and I'd probably go digital for Smash and Mario Maker if they got re-released

Anything you think you'll be playing for a long period of time I'd suggest digital.
Example:
Animal Crossing and Splatoon digital vs Mario & Rabbids Physical

I'm tempted to go all digital since it's been really convenient to so far (only own one physical game so everything is on my system). Best Buy apparently will give $10 voucher if you pre order Mario Odyssey digitally which is a nice deal.

f@luS

More than a member.
Got Zelda physical
17 other game digital. Download are small with a 128b card I have 80 left. Much more convenient

Waji

Both depending on the games maybe. You can have longer/bigger games as physical as they might stay in the system for a while.

rnaud

Digital for everything, being able to move around with just the console and play everything is a blast.

Physical... you can take how many cards you wish together... no download or delete data required... you can flip between games any time.

Big SD cards are a non go price wise and the space is not enough.

Plus physical is way cheaper.
Nintendo's Switch games are like 5GB average. Won't need a huge memory card to get a bunch.

It's a pain in the ass to switch carts on the Switch, especially when it's docked in my entertainment center.

Digital is so much more convenient, but I have little faith in Nintendo's "account management" so I stick with physical. Doesn't hurt that physical is significantly cheaper too with GCU.

Smasher89

depends on the game, but the 32gb memory will fill up really fast once the really big games comes out (Xenoblade chronicles 2 for example). Do note it's regionfree, so importing cheaply can be a thing, and you can make more NNID accounds to get stuff from other regions too!

I've been Physical with Zelda and Mario Kart, and digital for smaller games but I think I'm going to go 80/20 Digital/Physical going forward unless I really want the game case (i.e. Mario). It's just more convenient, I was all digital on the 3DS and I love it.

Philippo

Only 2 games so far, Zelda physical and MK8 DD because i want it with me at every occasion without needing to swap cards.

I prefer physical, but certain games I want to carry with me at all times (Mario Kart 8, PuyoPuyo Tetris) so I go digital with those.

bigkrev

I'm mostly Physical- the 20% off at Best Buy is really nice, and Nintendo first party games hold their value extremely well.

For Nintendo, I always go physical. I'm all digital for everything else. Though now that they seemingly have a capable account system, I may go digital for games that I will likely play frequently over a long period of time (MK8, Splatoon 2, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc.).

Myself I go physical for single player games to trade in later and digital for multiplayer games so they are always available for pickup games, enjoy your Switch!

ZeroEdge

I was all Physical until Amazon decided Canadians don't need 20% off are already over priced games, now I just set my region to Alberta and go Digital. It saves me 8% tax that way and the convenience of not switching carts makes up the 2% difference I'd save going with Amazons 10% deal, plus i never have to wait for Amazons never on time delivery.

forrest

formerly nacire
Zelda is the only one I own physically. Other purchases are Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Minecraft and Snake Pass.

I plan on keeping small and multiplayer titles as digital and larger single player games as physical.

Mario + Rabbids is my next buy and Ill go digital, but I will pick up Mario Odyssey on physical.

Depends on the game. A friend owed me a favor, so he bought me MK8D digitally, but then when I got ARMS and BOTW I got them physically.

So...why not both? lol

Top Bottom