• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

wsippel

Banned
omg rite said:
Some of you need to understand that if one of the specs is "larger screen", it is fake.

No redesign of the current DS will ever have a larger screen.

The DS2, sure, but not a redesign.

And the DS2 is NOT coming out in Japan in the next 3 months.
Well, there is no reason not to have a larger screen. Neither from a technical nor from a business standpoint. It makes sense from a marketing standpoint, though... ;)

omg rite said:

Why not? The gameboy micro had a smaller screen than the original GBA, so why wouldn't they make this screen bigger? Sure, the games would look more pixelated, but who cares?

The Hermit

Camera and music playback... wow if true.

DS becoming a cellphone confirmed!

Darklord said:
You know what? Looking at this, I KNOW it is a fake.

1. Everyone has a camera or camera phone. The camera would also be dated too quickly.
2. Almost everyone has an MP3 player.

I don´t have both :(
Since my current Ds is with my bro, this revision would be perfect for me.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
omg rite said:
Some of you need to understand that if one of the specs is "larger screen", it is fake.

The DS2, sure, but not a redesign.

And the DS2 is NOT coming out in Japan in the next 3 months.

Some people like to ignore common sense

[Nintex]

Is Nintendo going to announce their systems just one or two months before they release?
Does this mean the conference won't be about Zelda and Pikmin 3?

neo2046 said:
- get/exchange data from Wii and SD card (SD card slot included?)

Yes, this I want. Welcome portable Virtual Console. (Yeah, something pirates have had for a long time, but official would still be nice. And please don't get into the screen size argument, it's been done and it didn't stop the "Classic NES" releases on GBA.)

I hope they can improve the wireless hardware to be compatible with WPA as well.

Andrex said:
But I doubt crazy anti-piracy Nintendo would be for music playback.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/589/589659p1.html

There was an MP3-only version that was released in Europe, and I believe the US too.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
CO_Andy said:
Wouldn't it be rad if Nintendo could shrink the Gamecube's power into a portable?
Yes. Yes it would.

CO_Andy said:
Wouldn't it be rad if Nintendo could shrink the Gamecube's power into a portable?

They could do that right now...not that they'd want to, they make more money with outdated graphics.

Death_Born said:
They could do that right now...not that they'd want to, they make more money with outdated graphics.

A DS2 with less power than the GC would be unnaceptable, and that way we could have N64 VC games and GC ports...

Do you hear me Nintendo?!!!

Want if true. Deffinitly would import it if its regoin free. (and yes english option like current DS JP Models)

It would make sense for them to announce it at the Oct 2nd conference to.

Everything to me atleast seems like something they would do especially since the Wii has most of the features....except I just dont see them announcing it and releasing it within 2-3 months....but it is Nintendo after all :lol

Wifi at startup that means it connects to wifi on the main menu right? Since this is sounding like a DS sucessor it could have a Wii like menu with a DS Shop Channel for GB/GBC/maybe GBA games!

Eh I guess we'll see soon enough.

ksamedi

Darklord said:
So you just didn't even bother reading the post I quoted then? Cool.

Old people aren't into all those things like camera and music playback. They wouldn't care about a camera, they'd be happy with the DS lite and it's braintraining games and other simple things like that.

Most probably would have no idea it could play music anyway or how to get it on the DS.

Just like how old people would not like Wiisports? It all depends on the application. Nintendo would not release a camera with the DS if it didn't have an application in mind with it. Certainly the camera could be another hit with the non gaming crowd and expand the options for Nintendo to make market expanding games.

And, the larger screens would be a perfect fit for the senior crowd don't you guys think?

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
It doesn´t follow the definition of a disruptive technology.

It seems to be a sustained version of the original DS.

Baconbitz

Banned
I can't see this big of an approvement on a portable system. Like the normaly have two adjustments but, not two that are this big. This is to big of a leap.

So this system:

a) has a larger screen, despite the problems posed by this for the low-resolution DS screen,
b) splits the market by including a brand new camera peripheral of limited utility (at best),
c) includes music playback functionality that (at best) would be majorly dwarfed by the other electronic devices any given person might possess, and
d) is coming out in the holiday season (when it can have almost no meaningful increasing effect on sales) instead of being saved until mid-Q1 where it can produce a new sales boost after the holidays are over?

....yeeeeeeah, no.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I did not see some essentials I care about.

-Gamecube level graphics
-Upgradable firmware

Edit: Oh, it is an update for the DS instead of DS2 :lol

mollipen

Darklord said:
The DS2 won't be out for a long time. I really can't see them including a Camera, imagine a camera released with the DS at launch. It would be so outdated and crap by now.

They would have to make it a 5mp one at least but then it would cost too much.

So, uhm, basically, you've got no clue how things in Japan work. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of photos people take with their cellphones over there, and a lot of those are sub-5MP cameras. Putting a camera in the DS wouldn't be for anybody looking to replace their real camera, it would be for people to have fun with, take pictures with friends, have fun adding and editing photos with the touch screen, sending back and forth to friends, etc.

No way in the world the camera in a DS would need to be anything more than a 2MP camera, and I bet it'd be a HUGE feature. If they could then also offer things like wireless connections to a particular company's purikura machines, where you could (for a fee) print out your pics taken on the DS, man that's be crazy.

Hcoregamer00 said:

-Gamecube level graphics

The DS is 2D heaven, and I love it for that fact. While I'd love to see better 3D for the games that are 3D, at the same time that might convince more companies to make their games 3D, which would make me sad.

wsippel

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

-Gamecube level graphics
-Upgradable firmware

Edit: Oh, it is an update for the DS instead of DS2 :lol
I guess this DS revision actually has upgradable firmware. The original DS/ DSL didn't need it, as there was pretty much no built-in functionality to upgrade anyway.

goomba

Banned
Considering the original gameboy spawned the GB, GBP then GBC

Considering the original GBA spawned the GBA, GBASP and GBA micro

WHy are people thinking there wont be another DS iteration, it wont have a new CPU or anything , but will have new features or form factor.

The PSP is on its third version (added a microphone with the latest).

Personally, a DS with bigger screens and a camera sounds tempting to me. THe camera may come out as an addon for the DS and DSlite.

goomba said:
Considering the original gameboy spawned the GB, GBP then GBC

Considering the original GBA spawned the GBA, GBASP and GBA micro

WHy are people thinking there wont be another DS iteration, it wont have a new CPU or anything , but will have new features or form factor.

The PSP is on its third version (added a microphone with the latest).

Personally, a DS with bigger screens and a camera sounds tempting to me. THe camera may come out as an addon for the DS and DSlite.

Gameboy also had the Gameboy Light in Japan. Gameboy Color was a one off failure and didn't spawn other hardware changes.

mollipen

wsippel said:
as there was pretty much no built-in functionality to upgrade anyway.

Uhm...

* Pictochat (no online)
* Calendar (no ability to add anything to it)
* System Utilities (eliminate the need to restart whenever changing things)

...plus all of things that could and should have been build in (Nintendo WiFi set-up, calculator, some sort of address book, etc.). There was PLENTY that can and should have been upgraded about the DS firmware.

neo2046 said:
Nintendo DS Next model
- (digital) Camera included
- music playback function
- Wireless connection function power up
- larger screen
- to be released this year in Japan
- under 20000 yen
- new types of games by using the camera
- get/exchange data from Wii and SD card (SD card slot included?)
Didn't they mention before something along the lines that they wouldn't make changes to the DS that wouldn't allow old DS to be able to play certain future games?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
shidoshi said:
So, uhm, basically, you've got no clue how things in Japan work. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of photos people take with their cellphones over there, and a lot of those are sub-5MP cameras. Putting a camera in the DS wouldn't be for anybody looking to replace their real camera, it would be for people to have fun with, take pictures with friends, have fun adding and editing photos with the touch screen, sending back and forth to friends, etc. No way in the world the camera in a DS would need to be anything more than a 2MP camera, and I bet it'd be a HUGE feature.

It would certainly make me buy another DS, having a 2mp camera in the DS with the ability to transfer it wirelessly would make it the GREATEST SYSTEM EVER, bar none. Let it have SDHC capabilities so that I could take thousands of pictures.

shidoshi said:
The DS is 2D heaven, and I love it for that fact. While I'd love to see better 3D for the games that are 3D, at the same time that might convince more companies to make their games 3D, which would make me sad.

Trust me, nothing would make me happier than seeing amazing 2D DS games, I buy it when I have the chance.

The problem is that developers are seeing 3D games sell, and so we see games in the ugly 3D graphics of the DS. I would love to see 2D games live on in the DS2 with high resolution 2D sprites with large budgets, but if developer insist on making 3D games, at least make a system with 3D graphics that enhances the experience.

GoldandBlue said:
Didn't they mention before something along the lines that they wouldn't make changes to the DS that wouldn't allow old DS to be able to play certain future games?

Didn't they also say the DS was a third pillar? Yeah, these people change their minds all the time.

Stitch

Gold Member
Zerodoppler said:
If the buttons aren't crappy like on the Lite, I guess it might be time to retire my DS phat.
same here :)

AND GODDAMNIT NINTENDO, GIVE THIS THING WPA2 SUPPORT!!!

wsippel

Banned
shidoshi said:
Uhm...

* Pictochat (no online)
* Calendar (no ability to add anything to it)
* System Utilities (eliminate the need to restart whenever changing things)

...plus all of things that could and should have been build in (Nintendo WiFi set-up, calculator, some sort of address book, etc.). There was PLENTY that can and should have been upgraded about the DS firmware.
Well, maybe the hardware was designed in such a way that it wouldn't have been possible to add the features you just mentioned? Like, for example, not enough storage for more functional firmware?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stumpokapow said:
They already have released a GBA slot camera, most people just didn't notice.

Which probably shows how much people care about cameras in their game systems

mollipen

wsippel said:
Well, maybe the hardware was designed in such a way that it wouldn't have been possible to add the features you just mentioned? Like, for example, not enough storage for more functional firmware?

I'm not arguing against that, I'm arguing against the idea that the current DS doesn't need any firmware updates (because it certainly does).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
HK-47 said:
Which probably shows how much people care about cameras in their game systems

I see this announcement as somewhat equivalent to every mobile phone having an integrated camera these days. Maybe Nintendo wants to set the standard in mobile gaming too?

Top Bottom