• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Galdelico

FreeMufasa said:
Waiting on an EU release has made a lot of us loose interest. SEGA fucked up big time there.
I wanted to get XBLA Daytona, so not a big deal to me, but I really wonder why this game and MK Arcade Kollection seem both stuck in this weird limbo, here on EU PSN.

Mush

FreeMufasa said:
Waiting on an EU release has made a lot of us loose interest. SEGA fucked up big time there.
I guess it's SEGAs way of getting back for not releasing Outrun Online Arcade on the US PSN...

At least we're actually getting it!

Still playing it and still finding more speed. Working on nailing that cornering technique with the manual transmission. Great fun.

Hope it's selling well. We still have to get 3 or 4 more model racers out of the arcade grave yard.

Sega deserves your money for this awesome port, it won't disappoint you.

My god i have cramps from playing this too much!
Ranked in the 70's now on Advanced but jesus i can't even get close to my record again let alone the top ranks!
I can match their cornering speeds on every turn except the last one dammit - i have no idea how they're keeping 305kph around it!

Koralsky

Tu-tu-ru-tu-tu-tu-tu-tu-tuuuuuu-tuuuuuuu, Dayotoooonaaaaaaa!

Finally bough it. Yeah, the best arcade racing game of all time is from 1993. Amazing port. Finally, a perfect Daytona USA acrade experience at home! Thanks AM2.

You can find my PSN profile at my acc. I'll play this game until the end of the world... at least...

Dave Long

Banned
Yeah, the online was very short-lived. Really disappointed the last few times I went to play this. There's just no one around. :(

It's so, so awesome too. Just love the game.

gragy10

Had a week of amazing online games and have since been waiting on my new place to get internet installed.
Will be gutted if the communities dead by then :(

I think you have to stop the car and press Select, on 360 at least I did iirc.

Also the button has to be tapped to make him move, there's no turning animation like the original.

Gagaman

Ok, feeling the HNNNNNNG with this one. What a outstanding port.

First thing i did was play it online with two mates who also downloaded it the second it went up, and the online is as smooth as butter, just perfect (mind you there was only 3 of us). Got all but one of the trophies in less than an hour haha, wish they put some harder ones in there but that's not gonna stop me playing the hell out of this, it's been way too long waiting for this.

Trojan X

Banned
Yeah, the online was very short-lived. Really disappointed the last few times I went to play this. There's just no one around. :(

It's so, so awesome too. Just love the game.

It's SEGA's fault. They created a really silly lobby system that's equivalent to a blind-folded person trying to pin a donkey's tail after spinning 100 times. To make matters worse, the server will tell you that it cannot find anyone online even though it's actually "down".

All SEGA had to do is provide us with lobby rooms that allows us to see how many people are occupying it, and allow the lobby host to have full control for changes prior a race. Why you cannot change the course once you've created a room is beyond me. Of course people's tolerance would waiver once they are the victim of being thrown out of the room due to course change, or quitting a room because they became tired of playing the same course. Once anyone leaves a room, they automatically go back into the field of dreams with hope to find another room to play in. Frankly, this is a massive problem and I really don't get it Lobby room visibility and full host control has been a "standard" on PC gaming for over 20 years, so why did SEGA implemented a "backwards" system?

Once again, SEGA is killing their game. Knowing them, they will probably wholly blame the market for the poor sales and online activity on Daytona, and they'll probably become more hesitant to release other older titles. I doubt they ever look at themselves and said, "Shit, we fucked up! We better get this right for now on!"

My advice to everyone is this: Make lots of Online friends soon as you bump into them when playing online in Daytona. Also don't be afraid to schedule matches for everyone to attend on this and/or other forums and make sure you provide the date and time of the events. It will help!

Tizoc

So is there a video that shows how to navigate the Medium and Hard courses?
I can never finish them >_<

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Bought.
I'm not disappointed, but now I remember that it was Daytona 2 the one that I really loved, damn.
It's also pretty hard to go back to Daytona USA's gfx after D2, at least for me. Thank god for the smoothness of 60fps and 1080p. Although I remember the texture filtering being a bit better in the arcade, probably a case of fuzzy memories tho :p Music is superb. I'll hook up my G27, only played it with a pad tonight... Tried a couple of online matches and we were always racing just in 3 :(

Gaspode_T

That's a cool idea, I had a lot of fun playing Ridge Racer on PSX but it's a very mindless game IMO, you can totally suck and slam into walls at full speed and still win (actually the early Gran Turismos were basically like this too)

I have Daytona USA kind of shelved because of the lack of motivation, the game probably needed a little bit hard achievements...if devs are too stupid to figure it out the magic formula most games seem to use is:

1 achievement that is easy to get (before trial ends or within first area)
5 or 6 from story/career mode progression
2 or 3 multiplayer related
1 or 2 that are super hard to get (drive 10,000 miles, something like that)

Daytona was more like: Play for 2 hours, get 200/200

Awesome video Trojan! What's amazing is, for pretty much the first couple of true 3D racers, they were nailed first attempt. Is there anything as exhilarating as either game these days?

Toshihiro Nagoshi needs to take a break from Ryu Ga Gotoku and step back into the driving game developers seat - give us a new arcade racer!
.... or F-Zero Wii-U please!

Trojan X

Banned
Awesome video Trojan! What's amazing is, for pretty much the first couple of true 3D racers, they were nailed first attempt. Is there anything as exhilarating as either game these days?

Toshihiro Nagoshi needs to take a break from Ryu Ga Gotoku and step back into the driving game developers seat - give us a new arcade racer!
.... or F-Zero Wii-U please!

Thanks dude! I am really glad that you like the video. I even created the Daytona USA and Ridge Racer 2 trailers myself. Hehe, the funny thing is that my friend just called me a few moments go and told me that he was singing along to the Daytona trailer thanks to the text sections - brilliant!

I know EXACTLY what you mean. These games were spot on from the word "go"! If only you played the 16 players setup of Daytona USA 2, it was one of the most incredible thing I have ever experienced.

F-Zero GX and AX is Godly!

Yeah the text animation was very nicely done, i particularly liked the aaaaaaaaaa bit :)

Most i ever played was a full 8p Daytona; 16 would be incredible! Even when they're not all your own friends - by the end of race, a bunch of people you didn't know were suddenly like your best friends (even if you smashed each other into the walls and each other a few times!) True arcade spirit!

I wonder if any of the bigger arcades in Japan have that setup any more, might have to explore next time i'm there... as i know for a fact i wont be finding it in Western Australia!

Dave Long

Banned
OK, so what's the etiquette for racing in Daytona? I've been wrecked coming off turn one more times than I care to count and it's clear that people are jamming me into the fence to cause me to crash. Happens off the Sonic corner as well, but less frequently because it's harder to do there.

I never let myself get in that position now if I can help it, but I was very surprised the first few times it happened. Also, I gave as good as I got once someone pulled that crap.

Anyway, is this considered legit driving because it's an arcade game? I basically try to hold my line and not wreck people.

Trojan X

Banned
That's a cool idea, I had a lot of fun playing Ridge Racer on PSX but it's a very mindless game IMO, you can totally suck and slam into walls at full speed and still win (actually the early Gran Turismos were basically like this too)

I have Daytona USA kind of shelved because of the lack of motivation, the game probably needed a little bit hard achievements...if devs are too stupid to figure it out the magic formula most games seem to use is:

1 achievement that is easy to get (before trial ends or within first area)
5 or 6 from story/career mode progression
2 or 3 multiplayer related
1 or 2 that are super hard to get (drive 10,000 miles, something like that)

Daytona was more like: Play for 2 hours, get 200/200

Thanks dude.

Don't you play Daytona online and strive for faster times? That is where the real enjoyment is.

Trojan X

Banned
OK, so what's the etiquette for racing in Daytona? I've been wrecked coming off turn one more times than I care to count and it's clear that people are jamming me into the fence to cause me to crash. Happens off the Sonic corner as well, but less frequently because it's harder to do there.

I never let myself get in that position now if I can help it, but I was very surprised the first few times it happened. Also, I gave as good as I got once someone pulled that crap.

Anyway, is this considered legit driving because it's an arcade game? I basically try to hold my line and not wreck people.

Its fine. :) The whole idea of racing is to come first. Some people would barge their opponents to make it happens whilst others will use the attacks against them as a strategy. It's all part of Daytona and its got nothing to do whether its an arcade game or not.

Do note though that the experts tends to barge the least or not at all because they know they are up against the clock, and they don't want to run the risk of making a mistake.

So my advice for you to avoid those barging people is to improve your play. Watch and note the gear changing techniques that I use in my video so you can improve your play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfcJJsz-Fo

Dave Long

Banned
I'm pretty quick online, Trojan X. I'm winning races pretty regularly now, unless I get unfairly dumped.

Racing, as a sport, is definitely not about running people into the barrier at 200mph. You don't do that. Not even in a stock car 99% of the time. It's just too dangerous.

Of course, this is a videogame, and an arcade videogame at that, so I'm not surprised that it would be considered somewhat normal.

All I can add there is to try that kind of stuff in anything resembling a sim online and people will NOT be happy.

Also, I'm specifically talking about turn one of the Beginner course, as that's the one that's most played and where it happens most. On Advanced or Expert, you're rarely in contact with two or three guys for an entire race.

Trojan X

Banned
Then I'm afraid I don't know what you are looking for or maybe I do not understand you, my friend.

The Sonic corner you referred to is the hardest corner on that course so, naturally, you'll have online people who are on a lower skill level than you that will tend to crash on that section or attempt to use the wall for assistant. All other corners on that course are more or less straight, and the advance and expert courses has plenty of tricky corner.

In stock car racing, every driver are trained to professional standards. Crashing involve risking lives and intentional crashing will give you a ban, but it doesn't mean that it won't be done such as cutting and fighting for the racing line. So if you play against the expert players in Daytona USA, then you won't experience much of what you have mentioned but that doesn't mean that it don't exist. Also, as you noted, this is a video game which should be all about having "fun" and foremost, therefore all possibilities should be open for consideration. The good news is that this is something that the developers DID consider and they balanced that between the realm of "realism" and "fantasy", like I mentioned in VERSUS BATTLECAST (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfcJJsz-Fo).

The key thing you have to consider is whether the mechanics are created in a way to make everything fair? Well, let's review that:

* When you typically crash in the game your speed drops down to around 100km/h; you don't stop.
* When you are in 3rd position your vehicle kicks into "continuous drafting mode" so you can catch up to the rest of the pack.
* You can drift in such a way that would allow you to put your car in a position to take advantage of vehicles that keeps going to the outside on a corner (I did this yesterday and it was glorious!)
* You have the option to slow down and let the crashers crash into the corner.
* If you are a skillful player then no other players other than another expert would be able to catch up with you (e.g. SixFortyFive is the best Daytona USA player on this board).
* Your car won't be penalised heavily when you crash.

Yes, all that sounds fair/balanced to me so, in the end of the day, it all comes down to your skill level.

Koralsky

Great video Trojan X. Thanks. You're using Model 2 emulator, right? There's so much more clipping than the new console version.

Also, I want play online (on PS3) goddamn. The game is in the top selling PSN list, but very rarely anyone plays online :/

Trojan X

Banned
Great video Trojan X. Thanks. You're using Model 2 emulator, right? There's so much more clipping than the new console version.

Also, I want play online (on PS3) goddamn. The game is in the top selling PSN list, but very rarely anyone plays online :/

Thanks dude! Please give the video your "LIKE/thumbs-up".

My advice for playing the game on the PS3 is for you to set-up a lobby straight away. Let people come to you. :)

Dave Long

Banned
Then I'm afraid I don't know what you are looking for or maybe I do not understand you, my friend.

The Sonic corner you referred to is the hardest corner on that course so, naturally, you'll have online people who are on a lower skill level than you that will tend to crash on that section or attempt to use the wall for assistant. All other corners on that course are more or less straight, and the advance and expert courses has plenty of tricky corner.

In stock car racing, every driver are trained to professional standards. Crashing involve risking lives and intentional crashing will give you a ban, but it doesn't mean that it won't be done such as cutting and fighting for the racing line. So if you play against the expert players in Daytona USA, then you won't experience much of what you have mentioned but that doesn't mean that it don't exist. Also, as you noted, this is a video game which should be all about having "fun" and foremost, therefore all possibilities should be open for consideration. The good news is that this is something that the developers DID consider and they balanced that between the realm of "realism" and "fantasy", like I mentioned in VERSUS BATTLECAST (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfcJJsz-Fo).

The key thing you have to consider is whether the mechanics are created in a way to make everything fair? Well, let's review that:

* When you typically crash in the game your speed drops down to around 100km/h; you don't stop.
* When you are in 3rd position your vehicle kicks into "continuous drafting mode" so you can catch up to the rest of the pack.
* You can drift in such a way that would allow you to put your car in a position to take advantage of vehicles that keeps going to the outside on a corner (I did this yesterday and it was glorious!)
* You have the option to slow down and let the crashers crash into the corner.
* If you are a skillful player then no other players other than another expert would be able to catch up with you (e.g. SixFortyFive is the best Daytona USA player on this board).
* Your car won't be penalised heavily when you crash.

Yes, all that sounds fair/balanced to me so, in the end of the day, it all comes down to your skill level.
You've completely missed what I explained above.

Exiting the corner onto the back straight, if you're on the outside of someone, they will intentionally run you into the fence. They don't have to, but they stop turning and let the momentum of the car drive you into the wall. You flip, they don't, and they lose no speed while you come to a near complete stop. It's a race killer if you have less than two laps to go.

It's avoidable contact that people intentionally don't avoid because they want to wreck you to win. IMO, that's not cool, but I understand why people do it.

I know how good Sixfortyfive is. I've played with him before.

bumpkin

Hi gang! This is the reason why I was away for all this time from this thread. The next episode of VERSUS BATTLECAST is now LIVE! It's DAYTONA USA versus RIDGE RACER 2!

VERSUS BATTLECAST: DAYTONA USA versus RIDGE RACER 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzfcJJsz-Fo

Enjoy and spread the word!
Awesome video, man. I dig the transitions and so on that you did with the panels between segments. Swanky! :)

We gotta play some Daytona again soon on XBL! Just been busy and haven't been playing much online the past few weeks.

pulse8

Dave Long said:
OK, so what's the etiquette for racing in Daytona?
There is no etiquette in Daytona. Forcing the opponent into the wall is imo an integral part of the game.

Trojan X said:
Do note though that the experts tends to barge the least or not at all because they know they are up against the clock, and they don't want to run the risk of making a mistake.
Experts tend to limit their barging to specific points of the track and the lap they are on also will play a role to whether barging is worth it or not (risk reward etc.). But they certainly do barge.. they always leave the opponent enough room at key points (such as the tunnel - advance track lap 3 or 4) then bang they close the door and you've just lost the race.

Note down some of the player ID's that have recorded the top 10 times in time trials, and when you face them online watch how aggressive they get if your side by side with them at key points of the track.

Trojan X

Banned
You've completely missed what I explained above.

Exiting the corner onto the back straight, if you're on the outside of someone, they will intentionally run you into the fence. They don't have to, but they stop turning and let the momentum of the car drive you into the wall. You flip, they don't, and they lose no speed while you come to a near complete stop. It's a race killer if you have less than two laps to go.

It's avoidable contact that people intentionally don't avoid because they want to wreck you to win. IMO, that's not cool, but I understand why people do it.

I know how good Sixfortyfive is. I've played with him before.

Dude, I have never experienced nor assume this tactic from anyone so I cannot say that's unavoidable. I won't say that it doesn't exist so if it does then for me, "bring it on!" However, this is exactly my point in the previous post and I believe that it still stands even from what you said now. My point is that it's all down to you.

I don't believe that I am being ignorant, even though you didn't say that, I believe I am fully considering and comprehended what you said in your post and my hand is on my heart with your frustration. So the only thing I can say is this, what do you want? If that's the tactics from people then that's their tactics, therefore it's down to you to not put yourself to provide them with that opportunity.

So, the best advice I can give you (providing you are open for advice) is for you to drift TIGHTER around the curve on the last few laps providing your opponent/s is on your tail. That way, your opponent/s won't be able to get to your car's inside in attempt for them to commence such a sneak attack because your vehicle is already in a suitable position to perform a counter attack. Don't you agree?

Trojan X

Banned
Experts tend to limit their barging to specific points of the track and the lap they are on also will play a role to whether barging is worth it or not (risk reward etc.). But they certainly do barge.. they always leave the opponent enough room at key points (such as the tunnel - advance track lap 3 or 4) then bang they close the door and you've just lost the race.

Exactly! It's all about risk-reward. No expert driver will attempt to barge at any point on a race unless they know the risks will be small, and they'll gain a massive advantage. That why I said they tend to barge "the least". The example you give (the tunnel on Advance track) is perfect as it's one of the most popular high risk section on the course. This is why many experts on that section will either accept the barging challenge, or they'll pull back and prep for a counter-attack on the hill climb & dive section which is after the checkpoint ahead.

Trojan X

Banned
Awesome video, man. I dig the transitions and so on that you did with the panels between segments. Swanky! :)

We gotta play some Daytona again soon on XBL! Just been busy and haven't been playing much online the past few weeks.

Ah, thanks dude! I'm so glad that you enjoyed it. Please spread the word and don't forget to check out the previous episodes if you haven't watched them yet. I really hope more people gets to watch this series - it's something not to be missed!

Got a special game in the pipeline for the next episode. :)

Top Bottom