• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
CBOAT already noted 60. Not the good 60 hours but the bad and misleading or straight out not even ironed out 60 minutes. But hey, here's 500 dollars for MSFT, those good chaps.

I cannot stand how they have treated us and tried to pull the wool over our heads.
They certainly loved giving murky unclear messages for much of E3 and shortly thereafter. Like I said earlier, the only clear and concise PR they have given was to tell people they scrapped all the other stuff. Everything else was vague at best, downright deceptive at worst.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
Maybe they DID see it blowing up in their face with all the other negative shit that was going on. Hense, the backpedaling.

Yeah, I get that. I think it was a big part of it for sure. But why even talk about it to begin with?
It just seems they were desperate and in need of something truly awesome about the console itself.

EDIT: I'm just having a hard time understanding this God awful PR Microsoft have had. I'm truly amazed about how desperate they must have been. I would have given anything to witness their boardmeeting after E3.

Maybe they DID see it blowing up in their face with all the other negative shit that was going on. Hense, the backpedaling.
That's my gut's take.

Why wouldn't they share the full details of the plan before doing their 180 if it was exactly what justified all the DRM?

The only reasonable answer imho: Because it wasn't what people were hoping it was. Not even close.

MS FAQ said:
Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games
yeah the family member could play your copy of Forza Motorsport for 60 minutes. They would have access to the "full game" but it would be a time limited demo. If I remember correctly if you are at a friends house signed into your account on their Xbone there was a 60 min phone back too.

koryuken

Yes, I'm sure this was via the Family Share plan. Here's the direct quote from the FAQ:

I've bolded the exact part I'm talking about.

Marty, even in that quote, it is still very vague and open to interpretation. Maybe MS thinks that the average person plays for 60 minutes at his buddy's house. Thus, it is just like playing Forza at your friend's house.

Spazo

It does make it nice for the user that they can use their existing save, but I think it is also a benefit to publishers in that they don't have to put resources into making demo versions of their games - every game automatically gets to use this.

Plus, if the download went straight from your friends console to yours, it would keep the network load off of Microsofts servers, so they didn't have people downloading full versions from their servers all the time.

I dont think it was the best thing to do. Here in Canada for exemple, your upload speed is way lower than your download speed. downloading a 10 gig file on your friend's console that has a 1mbps upload limit... it will take days..

SRTtoZ

Yeah, I get that. I think it was a big part of it for sure. But why even talk about it to begin with?
It just seems they were desperate and in need of something truly awesome about the console itself.

Well I'm not about to try and understand Microsofts messaging strategy the past few weeks. Saying it was a fucked up incoherent mess is putting it lightly.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What I really want to know is what the last piece of terrible DRM that was going to be unveiled at Gamescom. Maybe someday Cboat will share...

DigitalOp

Banned
I can only imagine there are some people at Microsoft reading all the Xbox One threads here pulling their hair out and screaming "What the fuck do these guys want?"

It has been pure madness since Day 1. Day 1 of the reveal. Even before then with all the ugly ass rumors...

I don't understand why people are hurt over a cut feature that wasn't even properly detailed to begin with...

You lost nothing, absolutely nothing, it never existed.

Ahahahahahahaha Oh man, I guess we'll never know for sure, but WOW what a hypothetical trainwreck that would have been.

Where's that Xbone PS4 Family plan comparison image?

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
Well I'm not about to try and understand Microsofts messaging strategy the past few weeks. Saying it was a fucked up incoherent mess is putting it lightly.

Me neither. I made an edit to my earlier post to clarify what I meant. I'm just amazed that thing could spin out of control like this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can only imagine there are some people at Microsoft reading all the Xbox One threads here pulling their hair out and screaming "What the fuck do these guys want?"

It has been pure madness since Day 1. Day 1 of the reveal. Even before then with all the ugly ass rumors...

I don't understand why people are hurt over a cut feature that wasn't even properly detailed to begin with...

You lost nothing, absolutely nothing, it never existed.

People didn't fully understand what it was, and were projecting what they wanted it to be, to counter the negativity from the DRM restrictions.

Marty, even in that quote, it is still very vague and open to interpretation. Maybe MS thinks that the average person plays for 60 minutes at his buddy's house. Thus, it is just like playing Forza at your friend's house.

That reeks more of trying to fill in the blanks to fit your argument than a reasonable interpretation of what is being said.

Yeah, if that "Family Share" plan was nothing more than a "play the first 60 minutes as a demo" plan then it deserved to fail. In other words, absolutely none of the always-on DRM the Xbox One had was worth it. Now that the Xbox One has normal DRM people can still buy their games day 1 online and those games can be played without disk swapping.

koryuken

That reeks more of trying to fill in the blanks to fit your argument than a reasonable interpretation of what is being said.

If you look at my argument in the context of all of the other "Policies" that MS tried to implement, it makes a lot more sense than yours. As other people have mentioned, MS has a very locked down, restricted console and then lets 10 random people (one at a time) have access to your games forever and ever with no catch. That does not make any sort of logical sense.

Ashes

Banned
People didn't fully understand what it was, and were projecting what they wanted it to be, to counter the negativity from the DRM restrictions.

Nope. It was more 'although it sounds too good to be true, the instructions clearly lay out their policy with no weseal words'.

Generally, with all scams:

When it sounds too good to be true, it normally is.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
What really chaps me is how many on here are ready to plow 500 dollars to a company that has been skating around and treating us like second rate consumers when all we wanted is clarity to all this BS they proposed.

I have run out of things that I've read and straight up dodgy lies or half assed answers by MSFT in the last 1-2 months that they are not in my good spirits right now. I will still judge or praise their games when need be but this is like the stupidest type of falacy they tried to spout out of their mouths and people here (you know who you staunch MSFT guys are) were so supportive of this half baked now deceased feature.

They deserve to get their asses handed to them for treating us like idiots and only wanting the answers to their stupid policies in the first place.

Couldn't agree more.

Krabardaf

To be perfetcly honest, I don't really see the point of sharing a game for 60minutes. It's like a demo++, but really not a big deal, is it?

Personally, I just want to have access to my games anywhere, as long as I'm connected with my account. But I guess their new disc policy will make that simple thing impossible.
I suppose it's not to important on a console...

I think MS realized not only were they up shit creek, but consider this:

The ONLY silver lining the few fans had left WAS this family share. That was IT. The ONLY positive. And it was a complete fucking lie. Maybe they hoped it'd blow over, but instead it got so big and because THIS was the only silver lining, that the moment they revealed the truth, they'd be SUPER FUCKED. Not even regular fucked, but SUPER FUCKED to the point where everyone would turn on them for perpetuating a lie this long.

They had two choices. Either tell people the truth about the family share, or scrap this DRM entirely.

You saw how random Xbox One support groups sprang up supporting the XB1. This was their only justification for the DRM, outside of "CliffyB needs another porsche, guys".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, so CBoaT confirmed this?

I guess this is what he was talking about when he said people had no idea yet about how bad Microsoft's plans actually were.

60 minutes? LOL.

jimi_dini

I wish they went through with this just for the laughs.

Right.

We - as in the gamers - should have trolled Microsoft. Told them that Xbone was a great idea. And then nobody would have bought it. Would have been really funny.

On top of that the faces of people that believed it was unrestricted game sharing for 10 people. I mean seriously.

Anyone thinking that they would have allowed unrestricted game sharing for 10 random people was and is out of his mind. You guys remember Sony and their 5 PS3s limit that they changed to 2 because people abused it? Did you really think Microsoft is that stupid and the publishers would be okay with this? It would have been even worse than used games - I doubt that many games are resold more than 10 times.

blackflag

Ugh. Mirror's Edge wasn't at the MS conference but it was at E3. He specifically said that he couldn't confirm whether there's a PS4 paywall.

The only thing he actually got wrong was PoP and he apologised for that.

and for all we know they could have pulled it last minute as not being ready to show.

Marty, honestly, what's the end game of wanting to believe that this feature would have been great? Either the end result was impractically awesome for consumers, or it was going to get beaten down with fine print to the point of making it useless as a good will gesture to make up for the bad PR.

If it was a solid, workable idea, they wouldn't be abandoning it.

The ONLY silver lining the few fans had left WAS this family share. That was IT. The ONLY positive. And it was a complete fucking lie. Maybe they hoped it'd blow over, but instead it got so big and because THIS was the only silver lining, that the moment they revealed the truth, they'd be SUPER FUCKED. Not even regular fucked, but SUPER FUCKED to the point where everyone would turn on them for perpetuating a lie this long.

They had two choices. Either tell people the truth about the family share, or scrap this DRM entirely.

You saw how random Xbox One support groups sprang up supporting the XB1. This was their only justification for the DRM, outside of "CliffyB needs another porsche, guys".

That's actually a pretty fair assessment, I think.

From the Sony E3 conference on, it was just a steady parade of nonsense trial balloons, spin, and damage control to get something to stick. The "family share" talking points all came up predictably at around the same time (just like the "it's just like steam, but better!" bullshit) and it's clear the reaction wasn't the one they were looking for. Things STILL weren't positive even after leaking the most positive spin on it ever and nothing else, and coming out and saying how it ACTUALLY worked would have destroyed their credibility and damaged the brand.

scrapping the whole thing was really all they had left there.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
Never forget...

Qf0kCRD.png

It's BS cause someone from MS already leaked that family sharing only meant you could lend your game to someone in your familiy list and he could play it for 15-45 minutes, total rip off, nothing to be sad about :) -Plus something everyone on PS+ can do with the games in the PSN Store already, but for a whole hour!

*But I suppose this was already mentoined since this thread spans 30+ pages xD

DigitalOp

Banned

I see a little validity in this. It blew up big time when they announced it. The GAF sharing questions thread poked EVERY SINGLE HOLE to make sure they shoot the shit straight.

MS could not keep it up. They could not lose all good faith with who they had left... and they scrapped the shit... they scrapped the fuck out of their vision (positives and negatives) and gave us 360 functionality.

I give em props that they actually did it... never would have expected that shit. They really didn't have to...

LCfiner

I just gotta fucking MARVEL at the weasel words used in the initial MS memo about famliy sharing:

"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

The devil is in the details. "playing from a shared library" is not the same as "paying your shared games" or jet "playing your games" because those last two imply playing the whole game. Saying "playing from the shared library" is more vague and does not directly state that the other person is playing the exact games in the library. they can be playing time limited demos from a range of titles from the shared library

They also use the phrase "new forms of access" when referring to the access you provide to your shared library. Yeah, the access is now a 60 minute demo as the game streams in. Not the typical kind of access we would expect.

It's one of those things that, in retrospect, is so goddamn misleading and purposefully confusing that it's just fucking beautiful. I grudgingly respect Microsoft's copy writers for wording the plan the way they did.

edit: even the bit when they say "...play your copy of Forza". Yes, they can play your copy of Forza (direct language, there). How does MS determine what is your copy of a game and not a shared copy? If it's tied to your account so that implies that your account is logged in on that other machine. there's so many little escape clauses in there.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So where did this 60 min (or 45 min) thing originate from? That seems like a recent development.

Until confirmed, this seems like something which MSFT just didn't say anything about. They were hoping people would just be happy and not have an outrage over their DRM scheme and plodded around half baked answers. Some here sipped it all up and in the end, it was just a big misleading which is now gone.

Chalk up another one for the MSFT PR misguidance and vague nature regarding many of the policies which gamers were up in arms about to begin with.

Top Bottom