• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

nubbe

You'd think the Pro controller would just work on the OS level or with the firmware
Seems like the most absolute basic functionality

EricB

This game is REALLY good. It scratches that Super Metroid itch really well while also vastly improving on the top down sections from the original, turning them into some of my favourite parts of the game. There's also some really nice pixel art in there, especially for some of the larger bosses

It's fantastic and I hope Inti continues with this series and continues to move it forward

This is really good to hear. I was a big fan of the original when I was a kid, despite never being able to make it all the way through.

When I first heard about this game, I understood it to be a sequel to the original using the same style. It is a bit disappointing that it is a "reimagining" of the original instead. Still, the reports here seem positive. I'll be glad to make this my second Switch game.

Joei

I am so buying this when I get a Switch (hopefully next time Best Buy gets stock). It's funny, I have a 3DS and a Wii U and can get this and Zelda, but feel compelled to wait till I get a Switch.

Mrbob

I'll be honest I laughed when I saw that image in the op about pro controller support being patched in March 16. Guess I wait a week to get this game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So the game comes out on the 16th? ;) Damn that week delay! Oh well still really busy with zelda. Can't wait to play this super hype!

Between this, fast racing, and zelda I'm quite happy with the switch launch

So the Switch doesn't have native pro controller support...why? Not that I mind for a simpler game like this, but still. What the hell lol

This is great. I'll be grabbing this tomorrow on the 3DS.

That little head light sprite in front of Sofia was unnecessary and kind of ruins the silhouette of the vehicle.

Slermy

I agree it is mind boggling the Pro Controller doesn't work on a system level.

Do we know if the 3DS version has 3D at all? I may just grab it there.

I am still confused as hell why a Pro controller patch was needed at all. The Switch isn't like a Wii, or Wii U where the Pro controller is missing or uses different inputs of any kind. Pretty much every single method of control that the stock joycons offer, is the same as what's available with the pro controller, with the one exception being the IR camera. It's basically the same controller, just different form factor.

Coda

Bought this game on launch day by making a JP account. It's pretty great and actually might be my favorite Switch game currently. It scratches the retro itch and gives me Mega Man vibes.

I am still confused as hell why a Pro controller patch was needed at all. The Switch isn't like a Wii, or Wii U where the Pro controller is missing or uses different inputs of any kind. Pretty much every single method of control that the stock joycons offer, is the same as what's available with the pro controller, with the one exception being the IR camera. It's basically the same controller, just different form factor.
Well the JoyCons take up two connections compared to the one on the Pro Controller so there is a technical difference but one would hope the OS would handle all that automatically for the dev.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Been playing this on the Switch and it's delicious.

I still need to try the co-op.

I am so buying this when I get a Switch (hopefully next time Best Buy gets stock). It's funny, I have a 3DS and a Wii U and can get this and Zelda, but feel compelled to wait till I get a Switch.
Playing this on the Switch I was thinking that I regretted not getting it on the 3DS because it would be a great portable game

Then I realised I was an idiot

Chucker

Been playing about 3-4 hours of this. This is some grade A Sunsoft NES music. I was so into OG Blaster Master when I was little that I got my parents to let
me have a pet frog, sadly it never escaped down a hole etc and I never found Sofia 3rd, but this game... I like this game.

evanmisha

What? I don't understand.

You're saying that Blaster Master Zero not launching with pro controller support represents a failing on Nintendo's part, and my point is that I think Nintendo is largely leaving devs to their own devices with regard to controller support mandates after fielding criticism for similar demands (controller support, file size restrictions, etc.) back on the Wii. I support this theory by adding that Snipperclips was co-developed by Nintendo, so surely that was a conscious decision as they'd have no issue utilizing their own dev tools. This seems like a simple oversight that they're quick to rectify.

Sorry if I was unclear, I had a long day at school.

duckroll

You're saying that Blaster Master Zero not launching with pro controller support represents a failing on Nintendo's part, and my point is that I think Nintendo is largely leaving devs to their own devices with regard to controller support mandates after fielding criticism for similar demands (controller support, file size restrictions, etc.) back on the Wii. I support this theory by adding that Snipperclips was co-developed by Nintendo, so surely that was a conscious decision as they'd have no issue utilizing their own dev tools. This seems like a simple oversight that they're quick to rectify.

Sorry if I was unclear, I had a long day at school.

No, I am saying that Pro Controller requiring specific support to begin with is a failing on Nintendo's part. It's very simple, unless a game requires specific functions which excludes the Pro Controller, it should be built in. It should not require any additional effect on the part of the developer. How would that turn developers away?!

You know? I'm totally down with getting the best Zelda ever and then a new Blaster Master a week later after launch of the new console. Call me old fashioned. Kind of losing it over all this nostalgia.

The Dude

I'm of the mind that I doubt the devs said hey let's just annoy people and patch in pro support on the 16th. None of us are devs for the Switch so who knows what the reason is but I'm sure there is one, it's a matter of a few days... I could see if they said it'll be patch by summer but it's only a short time period.

I'm of the mind that I doubt the devs said hey let's just annoy people and patch in pro support on the 16th. None of us are devs for the Switch so who knows what the reason is but I'm sure there is one, it's a matter of a few days... I could see if they said it'll be patch by summer but it's only a short time period.

I'm personally just more annoyed at the precedent of it. Now the possibility exists that maybe some games won't use the pro controller.

Cerium

FAST RMX is also missing some pretty basic features that are getting patched in soon.

Just feels like a lot of devs were flying by the seat of their pants to make launch.

I agree that Pro Controller support should exist at the firmware level.

Macheezmo

Been playing about 3-4 hours of this. This is some grade A Sunsoft NES music. I was so into OG Blaster Master when I was little that I got my parents to let
me have a pet frog, sadly it never escaped down a hole etc and I never found Sofia 3rd, but this game... I like this game.

Yeah, the music is outstanding. Some great remixes along with some amazing original music. I also love that they used quite a few of the original sound effects; it really drives the nostalgia home.

Any decent comparisons between the Switch and 3DS versions? Part of me wants to wait until whenever I get a Switch, but this looks like a perfect fit for my N3DSXL as well.

Chucker

Yeah, the music is outstanding. Some great remixes along with some amazing original music. I also love that they used quite a few of the original sound effects; it really drives the nostalgia home.

The alarm when it's boss time, so good.

Teppic

I didn't know this was on the 3DS. I might get that version. Wish it was on Wii U too, would buy that version to play on the gamepad.

Despite being a child of that era, I have never played NES Blaster Master for any decent amount of time before. Or any other Blaster Master game for that matter.

I know the name, and I know people like it, heck I even own it on NES (apparently, looking at my collection list) lol. I'm a huge retro gamer and yet for some reason our paths have never crossed.

Think I'll rectify that with Switch. :) Not until that Pro Controller support patch hits though.

Savitar

I loved the original, it was fun. Even the old book was goofy fun. Ah....the love of a boy for his frog.

So yeah when I do buy a Switch, which is definitely going to happen at some point, this is the first digital item I'll get.

Anything that comes out this day and age even if it is Retro remakes are easier. I went back a few years ago and dug through some classics and I am surprised at how hard some games were.

Very true. I don't know if I could handle NES difficulty anymore. Still, I like a challenge now and then. Definitely still picking this up. $10 is a steal

evanmisha

No, I am saying that Pro Controller requiring specific support to begin with is a failing on Nintendo's part. It's very simple, unless a game requires specific functions which excludes the Pro Controller, it should be built in. It should not require any additional effect on the part of the developer. How would that turn developers away?!

I agree with you that it should be extremely simple to implement pro controller support when the default control scheme of the console mirrors it almost perfectly, and having one and not the other in a title implies there's something on the development side that's more complicated than it needs to be. I do think however that it's a premature conclusion when, in my opinion, it's one single title with such an issue. Granted, I will totally concede this point if it becomes a pattern and I hope it doesn't. For now, this situation is puzzling.

Top Bottom