• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Quake (PC)

epmode

I played it back when I was 11, absolutely amazing game, in fact, it's one of the games I've got queued up for my old shooter marathon:

NnkQ7iS.png

The games I've never played out of those are S.W.A.T 4, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division and One Unit Whole Blood. So with quake out of the way it's one of those next!

Hey, Turok 2 was just (re?)released on PC and they did an amazing job. Seems like it's worth a playthrough.

Hey, Turok 2 was just (re?)released on PC and they did an amazing job. Seems like it's worth a playthrough.

I got the Nightdive port of the first game when it came out, which was great. Definately looking at getting the second game at some point once my backlog has died down a little.

Hey OP since it seems you love this game and don't mind mods you should check out this Quake Mod:

Arcane Dimensions

More of what you love without being blasphemous to series.

Just watched a youtuber called "WhamNinjaMolehill" play through the first couple of stages. Looks outstanding, those variations on older enemy types are ingenious, especially those airbourne grunts!

TheYanger

To me the TRUE classic quake experience is browsing blues news and shit, finding servers that sound fun, downloading maps and models and bot packs on 36k modems and shit. The most amazing time that was.

Yea darkplaces is the shit lots of customization but I usually revert it to vanilla appearance runs well on modern hardware

Yah great game, and the fact that half-life 1 was built off of it meant that all half-life 1 mods had quake physics. So that's why natural selection 1 felt so great. Long live bunny hopping!

I played it back when I was 11, absolutely amazing game, in fact, it's one of the games I've got queued up for my old shooter marathon:

NnkQ7iS.png

The games I've never played out of those are S.W.A.T 4, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division and One Unit Whole Blood. So with quake out of the way it's one of those next!

I'm not a fan of Shogo and haven't played Swat, but otherwise that's some good shit right there. Blood is fantastic. I would add Doom 2 and Quake 2 to that.

Izuna

Banned
OMG you HAVE to play this in VR. it's amazing

It's also a game that's better than DOOM 2016.

I personally prefer Quake 2 but I understand that barely anyone would.

Definitely play the mission packs.

Quake has aged so well. It definitely deserves more love! I played it for the first time a year ago, and I had so much fun with it. The dread it managed to instill within me was impressive for its age. On top of that, the satisfying gunplay and tricky level design made it hard to put down. It also goes for an aesthetic that, while probably common back in its day, isn't really something you see much of nowadays. At least not in a big-name shooter release. Something about crawling through medieval castles, mowing down ancient horrors with an array of chunky guns is so cool.

I also played Quake 2 shortly after, and was sorely disappointed. It seems like Quake changed into something completely different after the first. And although I acknowledge the multiplayer of its later installments are regarded with a lot of love, it's a shame they discarded its aesthetic in favor of something more militaristic. I really wish id would embrace the original's direction, and reboot it DOOM '16 style. I'd love to see that world reimagined. Sadly, after Quake Champions's announcement, I don't see that happening. At least not anytime soon. :'/

NnkQ7iS.png

Shogo is absolutely fantastic. A hidden gem for sure

fester

Banned
Nail gun was very satisfying to fire, especially the first time you get it.

Both Quake 1 then Quake 2 were both pioneers of the multiplayer FPS.

The mods, my god the mods!

Q1 (and later, Q2) dominated my college dorm gaming days. Our campus didn't have LAN or Internet in our rooms, so we rigged our own network with cheap Linksys hubs, cross-over cables, and long ass Cat5 runs down the hall. Add in my first 3d card (the glorious Rendition v2100 on a Diamond Stealth II s220) and that shit was the best.

Future vs Fantasy was the mod of choice for a long time.

You mentioned that you played using DirectQ. Did you happen to run into a bug where your character would, in certain levels (all of episode 2's, in my case) would periodically get stuck in the floor, necessitating an application restart? I couldn't figure out a way to get around it and it forced me to switch source ports - disappointing since DirectQ was my favorite one, aesthetically.

Quake is definitely a fantastic game though. Doom, Doom II, and Quake are an amazing trifecta (Doom II probably being my favorite overall despite its relatively sloppy level design).

petran79

Banned
When I first saw Quake on a meager 486dx2/66mhz/1mbsvga/6mbram PC, I was so impressed I didnt care for Nintendo64 few months later. When I saw Mario laughing I wanted to punch him.

Lanrutcon

I remember playing the shareware and marveling at the corpses not always facing you, the player, because they weren't sprites.

dock

I love Quake and I hate that companies sell this game without the soundtrack.

I thought about playing Quake 1 recently but I remembered that getting the soundtrack to work is a pain in the butt, so I decided not to. Maybe I should just play the Sega Saturn version instead.

Groundbreaking game for so many reasons. Still has fantastic levels and is tremendously fun to play. God-tier soundtrack.
Love Quake, and I always will.

arigato

Well, I made a discord group called "oldschoolshootybangGAF" for peeps who want to set up matches for shooters that don't have that great a population:

https://discord.gg/uPAHbJb

If we get a decent amount of peeps we could set up some old-school deatmatches!
Could we also set up matches for UT4 and Quake Live? I know they're not the same but at least similar. I haven't played quakeworld yet so I am definitely going to check that out.

nowarning

Such a great game. I was pretty young when it came out and I remember being pretty scared at parts of it haha.

It's about time I played through it again!

danmaku

I remember I played through the entire game with the keyboard, using A-Z to look up and down. I played so many hours of Doom, Duke 3D and all the clones that I never even thought of using a mouse (besides, mouselook had to be enabled with a console command). Needless to say, it was cumbersome but doable.

Could we also set up matches for UT4 and Quake Live? I know they're not the same but at least similar. I haven't played quakeworld yet so I am definitely going to check that out.

Hey if we get enough peeps, sure! Even Sven co-op and both of the Left 4 Dead games are on the list of suggested games too.

Thanks! Sadly, I own the Steam version, and I haven't bought anything from GOG since their publicity stunt when they pretended to shut down and no-one could DL their games.

Man, that was seven years ago. It was a dumb thing to do, but really...GOG is great. Go embrace GOG.

Zizbuka

Banned

NnkQ7iS.png

No Rise Of The Triad on that list? Maybe you've already experienced the awesomeness then.

Rambler

Quake 1's campaign is criminally under-rated. It still has the best use of vertical space out of any FPS.

Preferring Quake 2 because the setting is "more consistent" is the worst opinion that a human being can have.

Quake 1's campaign is criminally under-rated. It still has the best use of vertical space out of any FPS.

That plus the game's movement mechanics make the game incredibly tight feeling and unique, and not just a true 3-D version of Doom which seems like the unfair reputation this game has.

EGM1966

Quake - terrific classic. Played this so much including MP back in the day.

Great to see its still entertaining people today. Maybe time for a trip down memory lane.

Taffer

I've played a lot of Quake over the years but not once have I heard the soundtrack.

Luckily by Quake 2 I'd figured out how to make CD music go to the soundcard. Loved Quake without the music anyway so I'm not bothered by no music on the Steam version. The opposite is true for Q2.

I remember I played through the entire game with the keyboard, using A-Z to look up and down. I played so many hours of Doom, Duke 3D and all the clones that I never even thought of using a mouse (besides, mouselook had to be enabled with a console command). Needless to say, it was cumbersome but doable.

Had to learn how to mouselook because a friend kept kicking the shit out of me in Duke Nukem 3D. DN3D barely supported looking up and down but Quake made so much sense. Low-gravity ziggurats!

Nzyme32

I was playing Quake recently with the music modded in along with source ports. Totally recommend experimenting with them for a different spin on the games appearance

9CF63C8F96C380D2B13F5F37F1FE0353E9C658F6

63B248A1C314D978B895CDA405200A8FCFE6ADC7

Big fan of Q1 but I'm not sure I have ever played through the campaign with the soundtrack (!) although I love the sound design. Nothing beats the Ranger glurps and grunts.

Are the two official mission packs worth the play through? If so, even more reason to fire it up.

I have played through the campaigns of Duke 3D and Q1 multiple times, such a credit to their design. Multiplayer on both are also exceptional. Played a lotta House of Chthon on mPlayer back when ... pure pineapple-lobbing goodness.

Switching gears to the aforementioned Shogo ... I had good fun with it during my play through years ago but not sure how it has held up. I remember it being quite janky back around the release date, similar to Blood 2, the other lithtech game of the day.

Top Bottom