• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Versions Batman:AA/AC & Bioshock 2 Adding Achievements, Removing GFWL/Securom?

How soon will Super Street Fighter IV drop GFWL? Ultra SF4 is using Steamworks afaik, and will be offered as an add-on for SSFIV, so surely the host game will need to drop GFWL.

Grief.exe

How soon will Super Street Fighter IV drop GFWL? Ultra SF4 is using Steamworks afaik, and will be offered as an add-on for SSFIV, so surely the host game will need to drop GFWL.

No way for me to tell right now, since that would be kept behind a beta entry.

Realistically, they will probably abandon the GFWL version and release the Ultra version as a separate Steam entry.

They are charging a smaller fee for the upgrade, so it would be perfectly plausible, and significantly less expensive from a development standpoint.

Slightly OT, but does the Steam version of Bioshock 2 have any of the DLC? It doesn't say it does, but it's also not listed in separate items when searching.

edit: Ah never mind, got my answer after another search

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=137528179

Ignore that link.

Minerva's Den is coming to Steam. I keep forgetting to add the registry entry to the OP, but I will soon.

Grief.exe

UPDATE

A little delayed on this one, but I need to add this to the OP.

Minerva's Den DLC has been added to the Registry. Two forms are going to be available for purchase, standalone and in a pack with Bioshock 2.

iKcIApZpThcKY.png

Grief.exe

Registry app just had another update, sorry for the triple post but this just happened.

This is all I can say at this point

iQ1GVeUAf8Abk.gif

Bioshock 2 entry just updated with a DLC depot that is flagged as unused, for now.

ibrj0z08ZbbicO.png

Games with separate DLC have them listed in the depot section.

iHqrUmuHAhfy2.png

Nethaniah

Any predictions as to wether or not DLC like Minerva's Den which is only available on GFWL (to my knowledge) will be transferable to steam without re-purchasing it? Assuming ofcourse this all goes through, I might be too optimistic.

Grief.exe

Any predictions as to wether or not DLC like Minerva's Den which is only available on GFWL (to my knowledge) will be transferable to steam without re-purchasing it? Assuming ofcourse this all goes through, I might be too optimistic.

Highly doubtful they will implement this, but no way for me to confirm via the registry.

szaromir

Banned
I ran out of patience and finally gave in and bought MD two weeks ago, I hope I won't be locked out from my purchase now.

Grief.exe

Today? Holy crap, I was expecting it after the Summer Sale.

They might try to coincide the release with a daily deal or a flash sale.

Of course its just speculation, this is the most I've seen it updated in a 24 hour period so far. And the DLC has been officially tied to the app with purchasing options.

Nethaniah

Any reason as to why publishers wouldn't anounce something like this? Maybe get some good PR and get it out there to everyone who hated that DRM.

I'm so happy that I might actually get to play Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den! Every install of GFWL literally did not work for me when I tried it, so this is a good thing.

Grief.exe

Registry app just updated again

Any reason as to why publishers wouldn't anounce something like this? Maybe get some good PR and get it out there to everyone who hated that DRM.

Who knows. This could be a decent counter argument that GFWL/Securom isn't being removed, you would think they would want to advertise that.

I'm so happy that I might actually get to play Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den! Every install of GFWL literally did not work for me when I tried it, so this is a good thing.

GFWL doesn't seem to work for many people.

pa22word

Multiplayer build updated once again, we might see a release today.

Doubtful.

If they launch it during the sale expect it to coincide with the daily update, but even that's kinda iffy considering the BS series has already been a daily once this sale.

I imagine they're working on getting it out after the sale now. Even if they finish the steam build now, I wouldn't expect them to release it in the middle of the sale when the BS series already had it's daily deal go by.

All these GFWL games making updates and nobody's talking? Makes me wonder if they're bound to secrecy until Microsoft makes an announcement regarding the future of GFWL.

Glix

How bad is securom? What is it doing to my system? Can I yank it off my system and still have the games work somehow?

Eusis

I REALLY hope those that bought Minerva's Den from GFWL can somehow get it on Steam, but I'm not really sure what can work there short of simply going "fuck it" and making it free DLC for all owners, or at least all current owners.

scitek

All these GFWL games making updates and nobody's talking? Makes me wonder if they're bound to secrecy until Microsoft makes an announcement regarding the future of GFWL.

This, combined with the fact that we should know the fate of Halo 2's multiplayer sometime this month, gives me hope that such an announcement may be in the works.

I really, really hope they don't permanently shut down GFWL due to the companies that won't take the time to update their game to something else. I do hope every company that cares changes that shit to Steamworks though.

This, combined with the fact that we should know the fate of Halo 2's multiplayer sometime this month, gives me hope that such an announcement may be in the works.

It is very interesting. If MS does want to officially kill it, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they developed some tools to help port GFWL games to Steamworks or something to prevent hurting publisher relations.

It is very interesting. If MS does want to officially kill it, I wouldn't be completely surprised if they developed some tools to help port GFWL games to Steamworks or something to prevent hurting publisher relations.

Yeah, if they outright kill GFWL (take down the servers) it would be a pretty big slap in the face to some companies I would imagine. Some pretty big games use it...

I really really hope they get rid of GFWL for all games on steam, it would be a miracle.

Sadly some games are just too ingrained into the service and some devs are just too lazy.

Dark Souls is one example. That game would be ten times better for me if it ditched GFWL, but I imagine it would be next to impossible since it handles all of the online functionality, and we already know about how poorly FROM handled the port. Thankfully the sequel is at least heading in the right direction.

I would be interested to hear though if BioShock 2 multiplayer will still be alive and whether it will migrate to new Steam servers.

Deadbeat

Banned
I would be interested to hear though if BioShock 2 multiplayer will still be alive and whether it will migrate to new Steam servers.
Bioshock 2 multiplayer didnt have enough time in the oven. There was some good concepts but the developer time was way way too short. It wont hold a population regardless of a transfer to steam.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Bioshock 2 multiplayer didnt have enough time in the oven. There was some good concepts but the developer time was way way too short. It wont hold a population regardless of a transfer to steam.

I thought Digital Extremes did a very decent job with the multiplayer and fleshed it out very well. I enjoyed it a lot. Hell I'd be very tempted to jump back in if it somehow fostered a new community if even only for a short time. I'd consider that a bonus along with removing god fuck awful GFWL.

Do this for Dark Soulssssss
I would have bought the game at full price if it weren't for GFWL devaluing the product
even more
. Dark Souls trading cards would also be nice to have since they have fantastic character designs.

edit: I wonder if the Steam ecosystem is giving developers an incentive to fix their games in the long run. The promotion program they're running along with unlimited shelf space and no patching fee is just a gravy boat that just won't quit. It also doesn't hurt that they patch their older games to this day to set an example.

Isaccard

I would have bought the game at full price if it weren't for GFWL devaluing the product
even more
. Dark Souls trading cards would also be nice to have since they have fantastic character designs.

edit: I wonder if the Steam ecosystem is giving developers an incentive to fix their games in the long run. The promotion program they're running along with unlimited shelf space and no patching fee is just a gravy boat that just won't quit. It also doesn't hurt that they patch their older games to this day to set an example.

Unfortunately, people keep buying DS regardless

Sentenza

Do this for Dark Soulssssss
I swear I would even buy the game again if that was the only option to use Steamworks for the multiplayer instead of GFWL.

Hear, hear! I hate that bullshit system and its myriad idiosyncracies.
I'll be completely honest: while Steamworks would be the ideal option in my opinion, even just killing GFWL and implementing their next new thing would already be most likely some damn good news for me.

Unfortunately, people keep buying DS regardless
Eh, "unfortunately" that led to a sequel on PC on day one, so I'm happy with it regardless of my dislike for Microsoft's platform/infrastructure.

Red Faction is unlikely given that the publisher and developer have parted ways. Koch Media got Volition but Nordic Game got Red Faction.

Top Bottom