• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're somehow able to visit ONE JRPG town for a week. Which would you choose & why?

epmode

Wait only JRPG?!
Yeah, I really wanted to talk about Rubacava from Grim Fandango. Best town ever.

But if we're only dealing with JRPGs, surely something from Skies of Arcadia qualifies even though the Dreamcast limitations kept the towns so tiny!

suzu

Academia 4XX

K6Q08.jpg

Academia 4XX AF (FFXIII-2)

Or Academia 500 AF works too.

Platy

Parnasse.jpg

Probably this place from Baten Kaitos. But I am sure I would end up like the poor guy on the bottom right of the pic if I stayed there too long. As the entire town is made of candy, cake, cookies, and god knows what other sweets.

I like how this person thinks

I'll be boring and go with Midgar. It's certainly not the sort of place I'd like to live, but I've always been fascinated by futuristic dystopias.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
DQIII's Alefgard because I love the idea of marching in place 24/7 and always wanted to see how I'd look rendered as an 8-bit sprite. Also, the music rocks.

Mindman

I think towns are as crucial to RPGs as the story and combat system. If we can get pretty silly for a little bit and and imagine you can vacation in a particular town from any JRPG, which one would you choose and why?

I'd have to go with Midgar. It's by far not the prettiest of destinations and it's full of shady areas, but I would take in as much of it as I can given the sentimental value I'd get out of visiting it.

I agree!

Balamb Garden. I want to live there.

Balamb Garden seems nuts. Would love to see technology like that, also dinosaurs, and lots more. Oh and if that awesome music is playing over the PA speakers then it would make the trip worthwhile.

I was almost gonna choose this.

Parnasse.jpg

Probably this place from Baten Kaitos. But I am sure I would end up like the poor guy on the bottom right of the pic if I stayed there too long. As the entire town is made of candy, cake, cookies, and god knows what other sweets.

Oh god I would WRECK that town. (And probably get banned/kicked-out.) I don't care how dated the game may technically be, it has some absolutely gorgeous environments.

But seriously though Lindblum from Final Fantasy IX looks ace. It'd be swell to fly around the city in one of those airships. The verticality of the whole place looks like it'd be pretty awe-inspiring to be seen from below too.

lindblum.jpg

Yeah another personal favorite.

This thread is making me wanna play/replay all these games just for the destinations posted here.

Credo

I'll echo the Balamb Garden choices from previous posts.

Also, it's not really a town, but since it hasn't been mentioned yet, Gold Saucer from FFVII would be interesting.

I know this may be weird, but I've always had a thing for Mideel in Final Fantasy VII. When I was younger I envisioned how nice it would be to live there.

FFVII-Mideel.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
frontiervillage_29324_640screen.jpg

Frontier Village from Xenoblade. It's beautiful and insanely high. Also, the nopon are cute.

Being a foreigner living in Frontier Village would be interesting, but your house would be insanely small.

sphinx

the piano man
Happy to see Baten Kaitos mentioned.

I'd go to the ice crystal palace where Xelha
turns out to be the heir to the throne
can't remember the place.

why? because It's a cool place.

Why did I know this was going to be an FF-fest?

I'll go with Baroque from Eternal Sonata. Such a beautiful city.
EternalSonata_Chapter4.png

Elegy of the Moon is nice too, although kinda creepy, being inhabited by spirits and such.
ElegyoftheMoon.jpg

which section?

Well if you didn't wanna bother with the HoneyBee Inn, I'm sure you could end up with an interesting prospect around the slums if you looked hard enough. :p

Why did I know this was going to be an FF-fest?

I'll go with Baroque from Eternal Sonata. Such a beautiful city.
EternalSonata_Chapter4.png

Elegy of the Moon is nice too, although kinda creepy, being inhabited by spirits and such.
ElegyoftheMoon.jpg

I heard a lot of talk about how this game is apparently mediocre. I still bought it without hesitation just cause the towns looked so pretty.
Still haven't played it though.

If you're gonna choose somewhere from VIII based on music, Fisherman's Horizon is the place to be without a doubt.

Oh god yes. Totally forgot about that one.

gwarm01

Rocket Town! You know why..

Wait, actually, probably that city in Zeal where everyone dreams all day. Enhasa or something.

edit: wait not Rocket Town. What was that town with the cross-dressing and the Honeybee place? That's what I meant.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Probably some pixel art town, so I can actually experience it like that (that's possible right?)

Otherwise FFVIII Balamb wins for me (if the song is actually playing throughout the town). If I get rich I'm totally building that for real

Costa del Sol, FF7. Enough said.
Check out spain :p

I heard a lot of talk about how this game is apparently mediocre. I still bought it without hesitation just cause the towns looked so pretty.
Still haven't played it though.

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, and I'm not a big JRPG fan to be honest. It's actually pretty solid gameplay-wise (the combat is keeping fresh by updating every now and then), and looks just gorgeous most of the time. And obviously, being a score made by Motoi Sakuraba, the soundtrack is amazing.
Of course, the story is silly, the dialogue (especially with the English VAs) is corny, which doesn't help it, being a story-driven game and all. :p

Erdrick

DQIII's Alefgard because I love the idea of marching in place 24/7 and always wanted to see how I'd look rendered as an 8-bit sprite. Also, the music rocks.

*nod* Yes, this is where I'd like to visit. I spent a good portion of my youth visiting this area in it's different incarnations. Not as detailed as most posted above, but it's someplace that I know like the back of my hand, and would love to see it better realized.

mango drank

Costa del Sol, FF7. Enough said.

Oh hella. When I was young, I bought that house and liked to pretend I had it in real life. I would randomly go to Costa del Sol and just chill in my house.

Villa_Cloud.png

Anyway, my answer is Esthar from FFVIII. I like futuristic utopias and this was one of 'em.

Esthar_streets.jpg

Ragnarok_2.jpg

EDIT: Man, I love the angle/perspective in the above shot. And it gives you a sense of scale of the Ragnarok ... that thing is huge.

Top Bottom