• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Village

No one save the Destiny Island trio and Mickey Donald Goofy need to return.

Need , maybe. Will you know goddamn well everyone who hasn't died via darkness or whatever the ethereal concept of the moment is going to come back via time skip. Or star wars esque teacher ghost.

zeemumu

Need , maybe. Will you know goddamn well everyone who hasn't died via darkness or whatever the ethereal concept of the moment is going to come back via time skip. Or star wars esque teacher ghost.

I think the only people who have canonically perma-died via darkness/heartless are Clayton and Cinderella's family.

Azuran

Banned
No one save the Destiny Island trio and Mickey Donald Goofy need to return.

Well yeah, but it's not like the Destiny Island buddies don't have any backstory baggage either.

Now if this was another series, they would probably summarize everything in one sentence. "Hey Riku, do you remember that one time you conquer the darkness? That was cool!"

But this is Nomura so expect a 4 hour explanation of why Riku is able to shoot dark fireballs even thought it doesn't really matter anymore.

zeemumu

Well yeah, but it's not like the Destiny Island buddies don't have any backstory baggage either.

Now if this was another series, they would probably summarize everything in one sentence. "Hey Riku, do you remember that one time you conquer the darkness? That was cool!"

But this is Nomura so expect a 4 hour explanation of why Riku is able to shoot dark fireballs even thought it doesn't really matter anymore.

Thought that was because the Kingdom Hearts encoder exploded and blew the darkness off of him, so now he's immune and can use dark powers without fear of corruption.

Maybe SE should hire Team Ninja/Nioh team to develop KH 4.

-Based in Tokyo, can have Nomura breathing on their necks making him feel useful
-Previous relationship already in place with Dissidia
-Plot just as ridicilous and bad as you would expect from a modern KH
-Rock solid 60 fps on base PS4 with same resolution as sub 30fps 0.2 with acceptable graphics
-Menus are instant and don't feel like the whole game struggle to get them running for some weird reason
-Enemies who signal their moves and can be stunlocked without bullshit
-3D viewer for all enemies and characters, previously a staple on KH and missing from 0.2
-Summon abilities that are pretty cool to use.

You know you want it.

zeemumu

Hmm do you guys think the tangled world will have Corona in it or will it just be the tower area and the forest.

I think it'll have the town as well. Something similar to the areas of 0.2 except not all wrecked by darkness, like Mickey's shirt.

I'm curious about whether or not you'll actually get to go into the other dimension in the Big Hero 6 world since it's been confirmed that you're gonna be fighting the darkness-infested Baymax body that Hiro left behind in there at the end.

I think it'll have the town as well. Something similar to the areas of 0.2 except not all wrecked by darkness, like Mickey's shirt.

I'm curious about whether or not you'll actually get to go into the other dimension in the Big Hero 6 world since it's been confirmed that you're gonna be fighting the darkness-infested Baymax body that Hiro left behind in there at the end.
These worlds are going to be so big just seeing the different locales of Olympus has me all giddy

Malyse

Maybe SE should hire Team Ninja/Nioh team to develop KH 4.

-Based in Tokyo, can have Nomura breathing on their necks making him feel useful
-Previous relationship already in place with Dissidia
-Plot just as ridicilous and bad as you would expect from a modern KH
-Rock solid 60 fps on base PS4 with same resolution as sub 30fps 0.2 with acceptable graphics
-Menus are instant and don't feel like the whole game struggle to get them running for some weird reason
-Enemies who signal their moves and can be stunlocked without bullshit
-3D viewer for all enemies and characters, previously a staple on KH and missing from 0.2
-Summon abilities that are pretty cool to use.

You know you want it.
Maybe I should throw you off a bridge like I've considered. I prefer KH the way it is.

It's funny i was just thinking that. This world I've been to countless times over and over again for years and years feels fresh and new

Definitely! Though, it may also be related to the fact that KH3 is finally coming out in the somewhat near future

Unf, the fight against Xemnas in KH1 is so damn good.

I've actually never gotten to try it, so looking forward to the 1.5 + 2.5 release in March to finally try him out, Lingering Will, and the Data Battles

Unf, the fight against Xemnas in KH1 is so damn good.
I mean, except for the part where he locks your commands. Hate that shit, hate it in Re:CoM when Zexion blows your cards away, hate it against Lingering Will, hate it against BBS Young Xehanort when he blows your commands away.

Goofy shit that treats the command menu as a real in-game object is just annoying and immersion-breaking.

But yes. KH1 Xemnas is a super good tough-but-fair boss fight outside of that.

Zaverious

I only finished KH1 and Days. Will re:coded spoil a lot for me?

I will slowly play through CoM for the time being.

You should play/watch recoded after playing KH2 and BBS. It's set right after KH2 but like CoM you go through the same KH1 worlds with the same stories. The only important stuff happens at the very end but you pretty much already know the information given to you after playing BBS. It's just laid right out for you this time and sets up DDD.

Sora_N

You should play/watch recoded after playing KH2 and BBS. It's set right after KH2 but like CoM you go through the same KH1 worlds with the same stories. The only important stuff happens at the very end but you pretty much already know the information given to you after playing BBS. It's just laid right out for you this time and sets up DDD.

Don't think you want to be playing Re: until you beat KHII

Thanks guys. I'll finish CoM first and then play KH2. :)

I wish I could get KH1 on psn instead of having to get the disc, because I have no interest in playing Re: CoM, and watching the coded cutscenes was a waste of a few hours, so I don't know that I'd bother with Days.

I wish I could get KH1 on psn instead of having to get the disc, because I have no interest in playing Re: CoM, and watching the coded cutscenes was a waste of a few hours, so I don't know that I'd bother with Days.

If you're not watching, then who will Roxas share his ice cream with? :(

Gulz1992

Do not watch the Days "cinematic". It's Kingdom Hearts at its absolute worst storytelling and without the gameplay to distract you from it. If you want to experience the story, read the manga, because it's actually the best written thing to come from this entire franchise.

Malyse

About Kingdom Hearts saga in general, as you talked about it during your conference, what were your arguments to convince Disney and Square to chose an unknown hero, Sora, instead of Donald or Mickey?

Tetsuya Nomura : As I said on stage ; I showed them a design, and it turns out that I often do not listen too much to what people are telling me. So I said to them: ”No, I do not want to do that", and finally it happened. In fact, it is not that hard. The thing is that the Japanese people don't say ”no" clearly, they do not announce their opposite opinion directly. However, I did it this time and it surprised everyone. From there they did not continue too much to impose their ideas on me. Finally, I found it rather easy.

LMAO

Do not watch the Days "cinematic". It's Kingdom Hearts at its absolute worst storytelling and without the gameplay to distract you from it. If you want to experience the story, read the manga, because it's actually the best written thing to come from this entire franchise.
Interesting. Does that apply to all the manga adaptions?

If you're not watching, then who will Roxas share his ice cream with? :(
He can eat his ice cream alone.

I do.

Gulz1992

Interesting. Does that apply to all the manga adaptions?

I have my opinions on all of those:

358/2 Days: Excellent
Kingdom Hearts 2: Mostly quite good
Chain of Memories: Mostly average but sometimes rising above it to have excellent moments.
Kingdom Hearts 1: Mediocre at best.

KH only sells 200k? I thought it was Square's best selling series, on par with FF.

DDD, the last ''mainline'' entry, sold 200k first week in japan. Also worth noting 3DS at the time had sold over a million more units than PS4 currently and NieR did much better job selling it's initial shipment.

sad

Weiss

Banned
DDD, the last ''mainline'' entry, sold 200k first week in japan. Also worth noting 3DS at the time had sold over a million more units than PS4 currently and NieR did much better job selling it's initial shipment.

sad

I suppose that makes sense given that the series danced around with handheld spinoffs for over half a decade instead of releasing a numbered sequel.

Fuckin NieR selling KH level numbers.

Time to give KH4 to Platinum. No wait, KH4 to Team Ninja and KH5 to Platinum.
I think Platinum would be sort of wasted on this IP, honestly. Don't get me wrong, having them handle a spinoff would be kind of neat, but I think they're better off being paired with stranger stuff.

Golnei

I think Platinum would be sort of wasted on this IP, honestly. Don't get me wrong, having them handle a spinoff would be kind of neat, but I think they're better off being paired with stranger stuff.

They don't really seem necessary for KH, given how generally competent the series is at delivering its style of action-RPG combat - it's certainly nowhere near the original Nier in terms of what it stands to gain. Still, some sort of future collaboration with S-E would be great to see from them, whether it's continuing to work with Yoko Taro or a different original IP / extant series revival. Maybe a Parasite Eve soft reboot that's to Vanquish what Automata was to MGR?

It's clear that their wholly in-house original IPs stand no chance of succeeding, and pure action games no longer have a substantial role in the market; so working on more action RPGs with S-E is at least preferable to churning out zero-budget tie-in games until the end of time.

DKHF

sad
The games on 3DS that had done better than DDD up until that point were either launch games and/or the biggest handheld/general IPs in Japan (Mario, Monster Hunter, Nintendogs). Installbase also doesn't matter much if most of the main audience is not on that system (which it probably wasn't since the PS KH games have sold the best by far in Japan). So I think DDD did decently selling 350K LTD considering the time it came out (and 358/2 Days "only" did 500K on a much bigger installbase and much further into that system's life).

KHIII will easily sell significantly more than NieR first week considering 2.8 wasn't that far behind NieR (137K FW for an overpriced collection vs 198k FW for a new game). KHIII will probably do 450K+ FW.

Weiss

Banned
I just watched a theory video about how Xigbar is
actually the Master of Masters
and I want it to be true so badly.

Top Bottom