• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark application for Nintendo 64 controller and more

rave-hard-first-time-on-pills.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So...will the Controller have Rumble and Memory built into them?

The memory will probably be on board, I can see them dropping the rumble. Tbh I don't mind as long as they are the exact same dimensions and have an improved analogue stick.

N64 mini is only acceptable with 4 controller slots.

There's no way they are dropping any of the controller ports, not with Smash, Mario Party and Mario Kart being part of the line-up

kc44135

That's cool, but where's Switch VC though?

Meh, I want Virtual Console on my Switch and I want it now. I'm not buying another box to keep under my TV.

This! I'm starting to grow concerned that we won't see anything but NES games (the "Classic Collection" , or whatever Nintendo ends up calling it) on Switch. :(

Preble

I honestly would just rather play these games on Switch's VC, but I guess a N64 Mini would be cool for some people.

An N64 Mini would be great. I know the controller feels downright odd today, but it's surprisingly characteristic and a lot of the best N64 games are a great fit. I was playing on my N64 for the first time in 5 years the other week (I'd ordered Mystical Ninja 2 which I'd never played before), and while it took me 15 minutes to properly get used to the controller again, it just felt "right".

Seeing that odd controller go into production again in the modern era is going to be cool.

Still, there are a few things I'm concerned about if it does happen:

1) GoldenEye 007. Nintendo should sort out some licensing arrangement with MS and with Eon Productions for the James Bond License. This is a console-defining game that needs to be included.

2) Emulation quality. I get that HD will be a big draw, but proper low-level N64 emulation, the only way to get an image faithful to the console, won't be possible on a cheap ARM box and that's a shame. A recent Core i7 with a GTX 980 struggles to run low-level N64 emulation smoothly with Vulkan.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I really hope it has RE2, N64 version was great.

TheMoon

Now please Nintendo, cosy up to Microsoft so we can have GoldenEye, Banjo and Perfect Dark on it. Get MS drunk and get talking about how much you hate Sony, that should work.

what if this is what all the minecrafting, etc has lead up to...

I wonder how they will aporoach the resolution, give a choice of 320x240 and 640x480 or just go with one or the other, the image will be less blurry then old antenna connections at any rate.

ionitron

Can't really say I'm interested in N64 mini too much. Most games aged kinda poorly IMO, they look pretty bad, and there aren't many that interest me personally. And some of the ones that do have been remade, or are Rare games.

But put Mario Party on there.

Protome

Why are people thinking this is for a N64 Mini? They also filed trademarks for SNES, NES and Switch controls at the same time. Surely they would have filed the SNES one months/years ago and the NES one too if these were Mini Classics related?

I would love to see the following unmentioned titles, if it ever does surface:

Fighters Destiny
Rogue Squadron
Episode 1 Racers
Extreme G Racing

Takat

If they can get Golden Eye, they should have 4 ports and controllers. It'll be impossible to find.

I'm sure they can work out a deal, I hope so.

jmizzal

If you can't get Goldeneye and the other Rare games on there Nintendo, there isn't much point in an N64 mini.

However much I would love one with a good N64 emulator.

Nintendo and MS have a pretty good relationship, the Switch was shown in Minecraft during the MS E3 conf. lol. I dont think Rare games will be an issue, Goldeneye would have other hurdles due to the Bond licenses.

2SeeKU

A few 3rd party titles l'd love to see:

Clay Fighter 63 1/3
San Francisco Rush 2097
Scars
Shadowman
Snowboard kids
Top Gear Overdrive

FyreWulff

I wonder how they will aporoach the resolution, give a choice of 320x240 and 640x480 or just go with one or the other, the image will be less blurry then old antenna connections at any rate.

Render at 1080p and call it a day if they're sane

but then again they rendered at 480p on the Wii U

nikatapi

It would be cool to have a N64 mini, but i would prefer if Nintendo focused on creating a proper virtual console for the Switch. This is something that is missing a lot from the system.

I don't think this will ever be as essential as the SNES Mini, due to so many of the best N64 games being made by Rare.

But, a big issue with playing N64 these days is that it just looks so bad on my tv, so at least an N64 Mini would have an HDMI out and I'd hopefully actually be able to make out what was happenings on the screen.

Also: Rakuga Kids pls

z0m3le

Banned
I'm not (really) hating on the N64 library here, but what would even be on this?
Mario 64
Both Zeldas
DK64
Wave Race 64
Smash Bros
Mario Kart 64
Star Fox 64
Up to 3 Mario Party games
Kirby 64
Yoshi
Pokémon (either Snap, or Stadium 2 if you could connect it to the 3DS VC)
F-Zero X

What good 3rd party stuff would they be able to get? The Rare games would be out of reach, right?

Ogre battle 64
Megaman legends (if Capcom was a needed partner)
Resident evil 2
Bomberman 64 or heroes
Tony Hawk pro skater
Crusin USA
Harvest Moon
One of the wrestling games
Rogue Squadron
Also you forgot paper Mario and Mario tennis
Hell maybe they will even do one of the castlevania games, but I assume 15 to 18 games this time anyways.

1080 Snowboarding
(Banjo-Kazooie)
(Banjo-Tooie)
Cruis'n USA
Cruis'n World
(Diddy Kong Racing)
Donkey Kong 64
F-Zero X
(Goldeneye)
Iggys Recking Balls
Kirby 64
Lylat Wars/Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis
Mario Party 3
Michief Makers
Mickey Speedway USA
(Perfect Dark)
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Brothers
Top Gear Rally
Wave Race 64
World Driver Championchip
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Majoras Mask

;) I would buy it

Render at 1080p and call it a day if they're sane

but then again they rendered at 480p on the Wii U

I'd think that the device will do 1080p as it's video output but when you upscale those old n64 games to that level their huds and 2D alpha textures become a mess, so I would limit it to 480p like the VC does.

So...

No

Goldeneye
Banjo
Conker
Perfect dark
Diddy kong racing
Wwf No mercy
Killer Instinct

Eh..

What's the fucking point. I'll stop at the Snes

At least on the Rare front, Phil Spencer has said that he's extremely open to letting Nintendo use those IP. It's just a matter of whether or not they can work out a reasonable deal.

Megatron

N64 mini without Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie?

Eh, ok.

Why do you assume that? Microsoft is just another company. Why wouldn't they allow their games on the n64 mini? Microsoft and Nintendo get on much better than Sony and Nintendo.

Zalman

20 games without Rare:

DK64
F-Zero X
Kirby 64
Zelda Ocarina of Time
Zelda Majora's Mask
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2 & 3
Mario Tennis
Paper Mario