• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's currently the Leader of the Free World?

Because Trump sure as hell cant be one.

My vote

landscape-1445378013-justin-trudeau.jpg

What has he done to even come close to earn that title?

Edit: It's not Trump.
Leaders inspire peers to follow. No 1st world leader is following Trump.

Hazmat

I would say there isn't one. There is no leader that other leaders of free states look to. This terrible timeline has taken the US out of a long-held leadership position.

Ekai

I don't recall if there was a Leader role in The Free World movie. It came out last year but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

But for realsies, probs Trudeau or Merkel, maybe?

Corbyn has a shot potentially down the line.

Mimosa97

There's no such thing as leader of the free world.

If you're talking about the most powerful voice of liberalism and human rights in the World right now it's probably Merkel just because she's the de facto spokesperson of the EU.

psyfi

Banned
The people leading the revolution in Rojava, the autonomous self-governance zone in what is more commonly recognized as northern Syria

Seriously, if you don't know about Rojava, look it up. I recommend this book.

JeffGrubb

its trump wether we like it or not

This is literally the exact opposite of what "leader of the free world" means. How does someone lead the free world? The free world chooses who they want to follow. That's usually the U.S. president, but it's not a default title that goes to the U.S. president.

Right now, the leader of the free world is Angela Merkel.

JpmD0m2.jpg

Leader implies if some shit is going down you can step in and take care of it by gun or by forcing people to do what you want. I don't think Canada or Germany have anywhere near that level of power, clout, or influence. China maaaay be able to. USA of course, but I don't think Trump gives a shit about anything happening anywhere else, only his poll numbers.

If Israel invaded Lebanon next week, only a few countries could have any impact on it.
If India or Pakistan fired a nuclear weapon at each other, neither country would care what Canada or Germany has to tell them.

its trump wether we like it or not

It's not, because no one is actually following him.

No one else dropped out of the Paris Climate Treaty.

No one else tried to torpedo NATO.

No one else tried to capsize all their trade agreements.

You aren't a leader if no one follows, just a shiftless nomad bumbling in the dark.

Azzanadra

Nah man scew Trudeau, I voted for the guy and he turned his back on electoral reform. Hope you enjoy Conservative minority when the NDP turn their backs on you! I feel so betrayed.

I'l say Merkel, but this was true even when Obama was in office.

Mimosa97

This is literally the exact opposite of what "leader of the free world" means. How does someone lead the free world? The free world chooses who they want to follow. That's usually the U.S. president, but it's not a default title that goes to the U.S. president.

Right now, the leader of the free world is Angela Merkel.

Even though " leader of the free world " is a laughable expression and only americans use it to pat themselves on the back, I'll still pretend that it's a thing just for the sake of arguing. Just fyi Merkel can't be the leader of the free world in the american sense because her country doesn't have a real army. Now it's probably time for Germany to start having a real army again, they've proved countless times that they've put their past behind them, but until then, a country that doesn't have a competitive army can't " lead the free world ".

The germans never asked for this anyway and Merkel is the most powerful voice in Europe because Germany is the most populous/wealthiest country in the EU.

JpmD0m2.jpg

Leader implies if some shit is going down you can step in and take care of it by gun or by forcing people to do what you want. I don't think Canada or Germany have anywhere near that level of power, clout, or influence. China maaaay be able to. USA of course, but I don't think Trump gives a shit about anything happening anywhere else, only his poll numbers.
Did you miss the part where the title said free world?

Merkel is arguably the most powerful person in Europe (no Putin pls). Europe, unlike the USA, can still be taken seriously, so I'd say she's the Big Boss.

Top Bottom