• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

ahdurian

shit I bet other Asians do that with Asians that don't speak their language.

One time, I was hanging with my best friend and she heard two girls talking shit about us in Korean, so she went up to them and told them she understood them. they look scared shitless and then speedwalked away

One time, I was hanging with my best friend and she heard two girls talking shit about us in Korean, so she went up to them and told them she understood them. they look scared shitless and then speedwalked away

It's funny yet dumb at the same time. Funny because you understood everything they said and dumb because, well, why would you be talking shit about other people around you? Your incident makes it worst for them because they were in earshot distance!

I've done my fair share of shit talking other Asians and non-Asians. I don't usually talk any shit anymore because it's childish, and only leads to inane situations.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, there were these customers from HK apparently chatting shit about the food at Benhihana throughout the meal and the chef told me at the end he said something in Cantonese at the end (SA Asian dude).

To be honest, my partner and I like to chat shit in English when in Tokyo so I understand why people do it.

Goofalo

My coworker literally just asked me what the difference between North and South Korea was. I can't wait to get out of this place.

S-Wind

Whew.... Just got back from camping. Was a nice and fun experience. The bugs though. The damn bugs!!!

Also..... I wanted to say that it feels really weird(?) that alot of people have never seen an Asian person before or have never interacted with a Asian person before. I think some of the campers around us were from Ukraine? My older sister went to poop and overhead two girls talking about how surprised they were that WE spoke perfect english. I took a shower and overheard a group of dudes talking about us. They were whispering and then I caught the end of it because one of them blurted out:

You're 1% of them! *laughter ensues*

I think they thought I didn't speak any lick of English lol.

The store clerks were eyefucking me and my buddy when we bought some more supplies. We're harmless. I'm a 5'3" chubby Hmong dude with medium-length hair, and I wear glasses. Ain't nobody scared of that lol.

And come on.... We're camping with little kids. There is nothing to fear White people. Acting like they have never seen Asians or poc that go camping -_-

We were joking about trying to introduce ourselves with an accent and pretending we don't speak fluent english, and by the end we'll say goodbye with no accent lol. If there is one thing I love about being able to speak two languages, it's to fuck with people. Shit I bet other Asians do that with Asians that don't speak their language.

Where the hell were you camping?

I'm in Vancouver, BC... plenty of Asians and other non-white people go camping and hiking around these parts.

I've never done the pretend that you don't speak unaccented fluent English before but I have thought of it... I think it would be a lot of fun! A good opportunity has yet to present itself to me.... Or, more accurately, I have yet to recognize a good opportunity.

I used to know a guy who had some fun with this. He was from Hong Kong, and, despite coming over here at the age of 10, his English was flawless and had no accent whatsoever, not even a British one (It's Hong Kong...) After he graduated with his teaching degree he manage to land himself a position teaching at a local high school. On Day 1 he introduces himself in front of the class, speaking with a heavy Cantonese accent. He could see the "aww shit, really?!" looks on the faces of some of his students - keep in mind that most of these students are not White, and about half of them are Asian, albeit Canadian born Asians. But slowly and gradually his fades away the Cantonese accent as he speaks... Different students pick up on it at different times and he told me that their WTF reactions were hilarious.

S-Wind

My grandmother's cousin is a Vietnamese woman who married into a Hoa (Vietnamese but ethnic Chinese, and culturally VERY Chinese) family, so she learned to speak Cantonese fluently.

One day the 2 of them went shopping for groceries in Chinatown. One of the store's cashiers says to her co-worker, "Watch out for those two! They are Vietnamese, so they might try to steal." They bring up their purchases up to the cashier and my grandmother's cousin speaks to the cashier in perfect Cantonese.

The look on that cashier's face.... LOL!

Goofalo

Why are you working with Sarah Palin?

He's just...he lives very happily in his suburb and never comes down to the Big Scary City.

Other conversations:

"My suburb has the best Chinese food! Goofalo, where can you go to get Chinese food this awesome in the Big City?"

"Well, we have a Chinatown...so that is where I go."

Where the hell were you camping?

I'm in Vancouver, BC... plenty of Asians and other non-white people go camping and hiking around these parts.

I've never done the pretend that you don't speak unaccented fluent English before but I have thought of it... I think it would be a lot of fun! A good opportunity has yet to present itself to me.... Or, more accurately, I have yet to recognize a good opportunity.

I used to know a guy who had some fun with this. He was from Hong Kong, and, despite coming over here at the age of 10, his English was flawless and had no accent whatsoever, not even a British one (It's Hong Kong...) After he graduated with his teaching degree he manage to land himself a position teaching at a local high school. On Day 1 he introduces himself in front of the class, speaking with a heavy Cantonese accent. He could see the "aww shit, really?!" looks on the faces of some of his students - keep in mind that most of these students are not White, and about half of them are Asian, albeit Canadian born Asians. But slowly and gradually his fades away the Cantonese accent as he speaks... Different students pick up on it at different times and he told me that their WTF reactions were hilarious.

That's the weird part..... I live in one of the states right below Canada, Minnesota. We live in the Twin Cities, our camping spot was about 1.5 miles away from the Twin Cities..... The locals (besides the store clerks) were polite and went on their way.

The looks and the two incidents I mentioned earlier are truly baffling.

Lol.... It was damn hard for us to make rice while camping. It was, for some of the group, our first time actually camping and not staying in a cabin so you can imagine how unprepared we were 😂

Izuna

Banned
Since anyone can be Chinese -- I can reclaim that 1/8th 23andme refused to pick up on and will wear traditional Chinese clothes.

qualifications:

-- can use chopsticks since age of 7
-- childhood spent with half Chinese family
-- went to Chinese college
-- worked in and near Chinatown
-- helped zeemumu out-Asian bsb
-- bonus: can say nigga and nei ge

Accept me.

The fucking weeaboo aspirational fantasies GAF must have that they are just rationalizing and defending his shit.

I mean as an Asian American I don't think any of us really identify 100% as culturally or even nationally American nor does the major population at large accept us fully as American

jasonng

7226-unamused-face.png

edit: sorry for the size but how else can I express how disappointing that thread is.

Honestly, for me, the author's opinion doesn't really bother me, and I even agree to the extent that perception of nationality shouldn't be as restrictive as it is. Maybe it's because I haven't read most of the posts in that thread (or even read the article thoroughly) that I feel this way, though.

On another note, and PMPs in here? I'm studying the material now, and I think the materials are some of the dumbest things I've ever read. Like, they are complicated for the sake of being complicated, and the way things are arranged, it's like they purposely chose the worst way to present the material. It's like jargon on top of jargon, and most of it just explains basic concepts in real life.

My favorite is that a lot of the study materials start off by just giving you a shitload of equations to memorize without telling you what the fuck they are even for or why you might want to know them. It's the best way to make easy math hard and confusing.

^- We're laughing at this part:
Yeah, that's stupid. I'm often the only person wearing random, videogame-inspired Woot shirts. I guess that makes me more a gamer than anyone else.

What's a PMP. How do you have time to study.
It's the Project Management Professional certification. It would be kind of like the CPA, but for managers. There's only one test, though, but you need a shitload of experience to be able to take it, do it's a quick way to prove that you have the EXP.

I don't really have time to study. I have some materials on my phone, so I read some here and there, and I do an online class for an hour or two per night, after everyone else is in bed.

I wonder what period of traditional Chinese clothing he's speaking of.... since he's a scholar the guy probably goes to conferences with a full on traditional silk robe and has his coins tied around his neck..

jasonng

Honestly, for me, the author's opinion doesn't really bother me, and I even agree to the extent that perception of nationality shouldn't be as restrictive as it is. Maybe it's because I haven't read most of the posts in that thread (or even read the article thoroughly) that I feel this way, though.

I take more of an issue the fact that this scholar felt the need to vocalize his opinion the way he does. I actually do agree with some of his points because I see myself coming across the same issues of having to defend my status as a born American when some question my nationality. I won't challenge him by saying he's not Chinese. In fact I will say he is Chinese.

But when you say you're the only one dressed in traditional garbs when no one else is then I question how much you romanticize your culture. Nobody likes a try hard.

Nationality wise, sure I agree he should be Chinese...but his definition of what it means to be Chinese is so goddamn simplistic and superficial. I dress more traditionally and practice Confucianism? wtf....

Goofalo

I take more of an issue the fact that this scholar felt the need to vocalize his opinion the way he does. I actually do agree with some of his points because I see myself coming across the same issues of having to defend my status as a born American when some question my nationality. I won't challenge him by saying he's not Chinese. In fact I will say he is Chinese.

But when you say you're the only one dressed in traditional garbs when no one else is then I question how much you romanticize your culture. Nobody likes a try hard.

It's the version of the argument we make about wanting to be seen as American but just coated in thick white privilege.

Yeah but NOT ONLY I wear Australian clothes all the time, OTHER Australians are not even wearing them Australians clothes anymore.

Sooooooooooooooo...

Also I am more into the Australian philoso-religion than Australians themselves!

Double
Sooooooooooo......

hirokazu

The fucking weeaboo aspirational fantasies GAF must have that they are just rationalizing and defending his shit.
Most weeaboos try to be Japanese though.

For proof just go in any thread where China is painted negatively, as an aggressor in a dispute, or is the butt of a joke and watch them all pile shit and spew racist or borderline stuff. Especially if Japan also features in the topic.

hirokazu

I don't have an issue with his struggle for the most part and I sympathise somewhat, but his argument really unwinds when he talks about wearing traditional garb to a conference. That just shows you're completely out of touch with modern Chinese culture since it's no longer normal to do that. Understanding appropriateness is pretty important.

Anyway, the major difference with the writer and someone identifying as American or Australian is that there are three ways to be Chinese: culturally (as he self-identifies), as a nationality (which he isn't there yet), and ethnically (which is impossible for him). I know it sucks for him, but a lot of people will take the ethnic component into consideration. Unfortunately, that's a major factor in countries that are mostly ethnically homogenous - people equate ethnicity with nationality.

Conversely, to be American or Australian, there's only a cultural or nationality component because most of the population would fail if the term only applies to Native Americans or Indigenous Australians.

So for me, I call myself Australian - that's my nationality and the majority of my cultural identity, but also Chinese - that's my ethnicity but also a major part of my cultural identity. If anyone disagrees about the Australian part because I'm not white, I tell them to fuck right off, because frankly, it's Un-Australian to think that way.

Moonkid

So for me, I call myself Australian - that's my nationality and the majority of my cultural identity, but also Chinese - that's my ethnicity but also a major part of my cultural identity. If anyone disagrees about the Australian part because I'm not white, I tell them to fuck right off, because frankly, it's Un-Australian to think that way.
As someone living on the other side of the Tasman this is where I'm at too.

Today with a patient I saw in consultation in the hospital.

Me: Hi I'm Dr. (my name). I'm one of the neurologists, and your doctor wanted me to come by and see you.
Him: Hi. I'm a big fan of Godzilla.
Me:... okay!

Casual racism at its finest. He also apparently said some sexist shit to my resident too.

Goofalo

I said I didn't want to talk about Jesus. But it didn't register. And now I'm advocating nature worship/shamanism to pass the time.

Goofalo

I said he should reread Matthew Chapter 6 and then read Ezekiel 23:20 - 21.

I used to be churchy. I really hope he reads Ezekiel.

Erheller

How many of you guys are Canadian, anyways? My branch of the family is basically the only part that lives in America, everyone else is in Canada (Toronto and some rural areas)

Every time I want to go to Pacific mall in Toronto none of my cousins want to go because it's no longer fun for them to gawk at stuff there >.>

Top Bottom