• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V - review thread [Embargo 3pm BST/7am PST]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
Ya agreed.
In this one they seem to have more sandbox moments in their main missions which is nice as it seems to be far more robust than previous games. However when scripting comes up it harsh and instantly noticeable:(

I wish they'd do less story missions, but make every one of them very replayable. Maybe in GTA 6 I'll get my wish.

Seems it's better this time around. GamesTM:

Good to know that they're moving in that direction with the missions, but still a bit bummed that it apparently still has its fair share of linear missions.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I queued up about 8-10 reviews in background tabs -- honestly they all basically blurred together (though i knew I was reading Polygon because THINGS WERE MOVING).

However, reading Sterling's review made me appreciate him as a writer. Heads and shoulders in writing style above the other reviews. A fun read with beats and pace.
Thank you! Even if people think my opinions themselves are insane, I will forever maintain I can at least put the words together all pretty-like.

Axass

gamespot claims the game is 'profoundly misogynistic.' hmm ok.

The stupidity has to end. What did they expect from a game where you kill, steal, betray and lie... I mean that's your concern? That females are mistreated... in a game where you play as the worst scum of Earth? -_-

GS Review:

"Or perhaps you dive right into the games story problems, or its serious issues with women."

Don't know if it's fair to really bash a game like GTA for that when it purposefully sets out to be a parody of real life heavy with satire

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Stop it

You know DF face off will make it clear one is better than the other

Based on what I've seen it looks like the Playstation 3 version is on par with the 360 version. This is a great day.

GS Review:

Don't know if it's fair to really bash a game like GTA for that when it purposefully sets out to be a parody of real life heavy with satire

Eh, I will play the game and enjoy it for what it is.

ultron87

USGamer: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/grand-theft-auto-v-review

4.5/5

When it comes to craft, Grand Theft Auto V is Rockstar’s masterpiece, but the game exists beyond the wonderful world on display. If you were to cut out a few missions here and there, it would be an amazing game. But those missions exist and act as speed-bumps, interrupting the the above-average fun of just running around the world, and the excitement of doing the Heist missions. And for some, those aforementioned speed-bumps will be brick walls. If you’re absolutely opposed to torture, or you need a positive woman character in your game, Grand Theft Auto V is complete non-starter.

MBS

Banned
4sO5W.png

I dunno... I can't take these scores seriously at all. Gta IV got the exact same treatment.

Hopefully I get my copy tomorrow and can judge for myself.

Yeah. you can't really trust what reviewers say in regards to GTA. Even the middling DS version of Chinatown Wars somehow managed to score 93 on Metacritic.

Karak

I wish they'd do less story missions, but make every one of them very replayable. Maybe in GTA 6 I'll get my wish.

One of the reasons I liked the heists so much. It felt like just that. Though I don't give numbered scores it was probably a 8. Especially with the story missteps and just everything taken as a whole. I also don't know what was going on with Franklin's crew but it was so difficult to listen to and so out of step with the rest of the stories that I really feel like that part of the game should have had more time to cook.

DukeBobby

Ha, the Escapist review makes me want to play the game even more.

Are the characters really that despicable? Can't wait to find out.

Cringed at the threads review previews with so much of them referencing "characters, lived in environment, great setting".

Those things are huge sure, but I just want to know about the mechanics. GTA IV's setting was the least of its problems.

gamespot claims the game is 'profoundly misogynistic.' hmm ok.

I always hated when reviewers used big words like these to sound like a professional. I know some people will probably tell me to just have a stronger vocab, but I just personally don't like it. There reviewing a game, there not food critics.

Anyways, nice scores so far.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
GS Review:

It's fascinating to me. GS and Escapist were truly affected by the game's writing. So much, it sank the game in their eyes. To me, that's a bigger endorsement of the game's narrative qualities, than any "Oscar caliber" review ever did.

Karak

Ha, the Escapist review makes me want to play the game even more.

Are the characters really that despicable? Can't wait to find out.

Pretty much yes. And Franklin's entire crew/NPC group is almost impossibly nasty to listen to and coming from me that is saying a great deal:)

Interfectum

Yeah I need to echo that the Escapist review actually has me more excited for the game. Stop only looking at review scores people.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As usual, be very careful reading comment threads on the reviews, as people are still dickwads and will attempt to spoil the shit out of this game for you if you're not paying attention.

I can hear the 'misogyny in gaming' discussion on Weekend Confirmed already. They'll absolutely LOVE the game, but boy will they feel bad about women are treated in it. At this point, this stuff writes itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom