• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2016 |OT| The seasons change, but we're still Falling for Euri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. We'll probably do another one in a few weeks/months as soon as we find a show that works for several peeps and streams legally. Was thinking sonething fun like Devil is a part timer or something similiar. That or an action/adventure anime.

What's this about let's watches?

duckroll

Every time someone mentions Hundred, I think of the old Dreamcast Smilebit game Hundred Swords. And I think about how I own it. How I paid real money for a real import game. Called Hundred Swords. And I die a little more inside.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Poco's Udon World Episode 12 END

The fuck kind of ending is that

MSZ6Kut.gif

When does Rakugo get good? I dropped it around episode 3 and now that I see everyone praising it so much, I am wondering if I actually missed something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It was good since the beginning, but it's a mellow period drama and that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Kuromukuro 26 END

That was good, but definitely not the ending I was expecting. But then, after Kuromukuro quietly subverted my expectations time and time again, perhaps I should have expected that. It's really a notch above typical anime storytelling, influenced by past works in the medium but striving to engage these characters and situations on their own terms rather than being a copy-and-paste of popular tropes. I have to respect the show for that.

duckroll

Kuromukuro 26 END

That was good, but definitely not the ending I was expecting. But then, after Kuromukuro quietly subverted my expectations time and time again, perhaps I should have expected that. It's really a notch above typical anime storytelling, influenced by past works in the medium but striving to engage these characters and situations on their own terms rather than being a copy-and-paste of popular tropes. I have to respect the show for that.

No one expects that ending! Not even after people talk about how "unexpected" the ending is!

No one expects that ending! Not even after people talk about how "unexpected" the ending is!

Yeah.
I was expecting Yukina to go with Kennosuke up until the last minute when she was prevented from doing so. Bold choice there. I'm glad for the brief 5 years later epilogue that all but showed us that they will meet again though.

I've been playing EDF 2 recently and what the UN did after the big showdown to Kennosuke et al reminded me a little of what I assumed would happen to the EDF soldier you play as after you defeat the alien menace. When you hear your superior officer going, "That soldier took out the entire enemy forces by himself? That's... not... possible!" or "That soldier's good. Almost too good." - seems unlikely he'd let you live once the external threat was gone!

Its a go read the light novel ending. Except there isn't one.

Eh, it's a somewhat open ending but it's not exactly a cliffhanger "you have to go read the source material now" ending. It's thematically complete, and the broad strokes of what will happen beyond the scope of the series seem clear, even if it didn't wrap up all the loose ends cleanly.

Cornbread78

What's this about let's watches?

We've done a bunch over the past year or so.

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” shows:

Humanity Has Declined, Eccentric Family, Sunday Without God, Samurai Flemanco, Blast of Tempest, Kyousougiga, Kids on the Slope, Mirai Nikki, Rosen Maiden, Code: Breaker, Servant x Service, Mazinger Z, Moribito, Tatami Galaxy, Shiki the Demon Corpse and The Count of Monte Cristo

Mailbox

What happens if we vote Hybrid x Heart for AOTY?
Literally one of the worst anime I've ever watched

I'm not actually gonna vote for AOTY this year since I didn't watch a lot of the good stuff just yet (mob pyscho, Souma s2, Yuri on ice, Euphonium, Natsume, etc)

Hell, I still haven't finished Rakugo since... well its a bit of a weird reason really. The first episode was so damn good and was so complete in and of itself that I was seriously scared that the rest of the series would damper on that feeling I had for the first episode. I should really watch the rest, but I just haven't yet.

I also just realized that next anime season technically starts tomorrow... Haven't even started on my new avatar yet T_T.

duckroll

Seemed like it to me. A big tease for season 2 which I imagine wont happen.

But that's not the point of the epilogue. They could tell more stories in the future, but it was important that the character arcs closed out the way they did. From the very start, the show was about young people finding out what they want in life, what they really want to do after school. It's about the point where a child grows up and discovers actual ambition. The choices they make at the end show them reveal what is most important to each of them.

sonicmj1

But that's not the point of the epilogue. They could tell more stories in the future, but it was important that the character arcs closed out the way they did. From the very start, the show was about young people finding out what they want in life, what they really want to do after school. It's about the point where a child grows up and discovers actual ambition. The choices they make at the end show them reveal what is most important to each of them.

That's exactly how I feel about the ending.

A second season isn't really necessary, but if it existed it would be totally different, because Kuromukuro completely closed the book on its own themes.

kewlmyc

Mother's Basement posted his anime of 2016 vid:

https://youtu.be/bP7dK6xIuLw

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Watched it earlier. He's absolutely right that the show isn't going to win any popularity contests, but it deserves to have more and more people watch it. Though if you don't like good anime period dramas with zero action that focuses on character growth and stage performances, then it's probably not for you.

That's exactly how I feel about the ending.

A second season isn't really necessary, but if it existed it would be totally different, because Kuromukuro completely closed the book on its own themes.

Mecha/Harem where Kennosuke romances various robots rather than humans.

Mailbox

I'm currently watching xxxHolic and...

Jesus Christ these Noodle People, my god! I've watched stuff like Chobits and even an episode or 2 of cardcaptors sakura and I never really had much of an issue with Clamps style with those 2. Here it feels like its just...

From what I can gather the reason the Noodling is THIS bad is because Production I.G went off model and fucked with proportions, but my god this is bad. Like it literally ruins many scenes its so bad.

On a plus note, Monoka is significantly better than I expected which I give full credit to the VA for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom