• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

Air

Banned
Why are people complaining about Ethernet ports? None of Nintendo's consoles have ever had an Ethernet port.

meppi

I'll definitely want that Hori arcade stick.
But I'll wait a little to see if they will make a Vewlix version as well as I'd prefer that one. :)

zewone

Hey guys, I don't give a shit about ethernet, but to say we shouldn't expect one because they never had one before is not a good reason. Every other console spent the 10 cents and included one.

It looks ugly, but I'm betting it'll be more comfortable than it looks. The layout seems more or less the same as the Pro, just with bulk in between the grips. I'll still be getting the Pro for the real D-pad, though.

That d-pad is awful and buttons seem so high compared to the analog on the right.

Like I said, an additional $50 to the system cost.

OldMan

Banned
wii-sports-attachments.jpg

psyfi

Banned
I'm not accepting it as for sure quite yet, but mannnnnn it looks like Zelda is locked in for launch and I'm so happy :'-)

Air

Banned
Hey guys, I don't give a shit about ethernet, but to say we shouldn't expect one because they never had one before is not a good reason. Every other console spent the 10 cents and included one.

That d-pad is awful and buttons seem so high compared to the analog on the right.

It is. The same reason why a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet cable. Nintendo wants to promote wireless play. Full stop. You can buy a dongle, but that's a luxury for them and not something most people would use nowadays

Doesn't sound like you'll be buying one tbf so no need to worry about it.

That's the problem. It's probably Tekken 7. TTT2 was a Wii U launch game and Mad Cats made a TE stick for it. Outside of Pokken and Smash, TTT2 ended up being the only fighting game. Waste of money.

I dunno...if anything, the Switch could be pretty great for lower budget/lesser known fighting games like Skullgirls, Under Night, Arcana Heart 4, etc. Tekken 7 is probably a done deal but I could see a new Soul Calibur in the future with Link returning or a Fire Emblem character in it's roster.

I dont entirely disagree regarding ethernet but given the system's basic premise of mobility and being able to undock at any time, I can see why they didn't.

AgeEighty

Hey guys, I don't give a shit about ethernet, but to say we shouldn't expect one because they never had one before is not a good reason.

No, but "only a very small percentage of customers still use wired ethernet" is.

It's not great as a D-pad, no. D-pads made of separate buttons tend not to work all that well. But it was a necessary tradeoff to make the two Joycons identically usable as NES-style gamepads; if they'd done something different they would've had to rethink the whole concept.

Anyway, we'll see how good or bad it really is. Looks aren't everything.

zewone

It is. The same reason why a MacBook doesn't have an Ethernet cable. Nintendo wants to promote wireless play. Full stop. You can buy a dongle, but that's a luxury for them and not something most people would use nowadays
I'm pretty sure the fact that MacBooks and now iPhones are forced to use dongles is kind of an industry joke.

Doesn't sound like you'll be buying one tbf so no need to worry about it.

I am buying one, so if I wasn't worried about my purchase I wouldn't even give a shit. Just because I'm not excited for every single piece of Switch information doesn't mean I don't want to own it.

I'm not convinced it would be 10 cents when they have to route every data connection in and out of the USB-C port in the first place. There will have to be a conversion taking place, the question is whether it's happening in the dock or with an external adapter. And like I said in another post, I'd rather have an extra USB port that I can use for anything than be stuck with a LAN port that's single-purpose.

Skeletos311

If there's a Capcom fighting game coming, it's gotta be Marvel VS Capcom Infinite. It's definitely not SFV or TVC, because let's face it, TVC is never coming back in any form.

Cleve

In the era of wireless ac, why would you need one?

While I never expected an ethernet port on the device, I'll get one becasue it's significantly more reliable than wifi, even AC.

Well it is, but ethernet is becoming less and less relevent each year.

In the context of portable devices, sure.

All that said, I bet a number of USB nics will work just fine, at least any that were compatible with previous Nintendo devices.

schaft0620

Pretty cool, I'm going to hold off. It's such a new and obscure form factor you never know what your really going to need and whos going to make it. 1/2 of the stuff I bought for the vita I never used.

If there's a Capcom fighting game coming, it's gotta be Marvel VS Capcom Infinite. It's definitely not SFV or TVC, because let's face it, TVC is never coming back in any form.

You think that Hori would make a stick for Smash? It's probably the only stick at launch and will probably be $80

Kneefoil

Only really care about a screen protector and a case of some kind. I guess the starter kit might be the way to go with these options since it's only 1€ more expensive than buying just those separately.

Mario enters the battle
Link enters the battle

2 new Nintendo fighters for marvel vs capcom infinite would push me to buy the switch version over Xbox one and PS4

Do it Ono

Top Bottom