• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS European Launch

GJS

Just got an email about Club-Nintendo's new Privacy Policy, which has to be accepted to keep & user your stars after 31st May 2011. This contains some new information about how the 3DS may update is going to work, I think?

2) Club Nintendo Privacy Policy

The amendment of the Club Nintendo Privacy Policy was necessary due to the launch of the new Nintendo 3DS system which offers a broad variety of network services. As you can link your Club Nintendo account to your Nintendo 3DS system, we adjusted the existing privacy policy to reflect and explain this. Under the new Club Nintendo Privacy Policy we ask for your consent to share your data with our parent company Nintendo Co. Ltd. in Japan. The Nintendo 3DS system offers many new and exciting features and applications which we cannot provide to you without involving our parent company. As you can link your Club Nintendo account to your Nintendo 3DS system, the involvement of our parent company also affects Club Nintendo. Your consent allows us to improve our services and products and to make them more attractive for you. Nintendo Co., Ltd. will use your information only for the purposes outlined in the Club Nintendo Privacy Policy and we will take all necessary steps to ensure that your privacy is protected. We also tried to make the Club Nintendo Privacy Policy more transparent and easier to understand and made changes which were necessary due to an amendment of the legal situation. Please indicate if you are willing to accept the changes to the Club Nintendo Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy by selecting “I ACCEPT” or “I DECLINE” from the options listed below. You can also choose to read the full Club Nintendo Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy for a more detailed explanation of what’s new.
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/service/privacy_2071.html
If you already own a Nintendo console or if you buy such a console in the future, you have the option to link your Club Nintendo account to your console (provided your console supports this feature).

Even though you will be able to enjoy all services and advantages of your Nintendo console without linking in this way, linking your console to a Club Nintendo account allows you to take advantage of several additional features:

You will be able to redeem your Stars to get points or funds for shopping services on your console (service dependent on availability)

You will be able to claim Stars for Virtual Console games you purchase (service dependent on availability).

You will be able to check your statistics from Nintendo games with online functionality (service dependent on availability).

After you link your Nintendo console to a Club Nintendo account, Nintendo may collect information about the way you use your console and the network services provided through your console, including information about the applications and channels you use, the products you are interested in, the games you download and/or play and how long you play them. Any information stored in relation to your console will be linked to the information stored in relation to your Club Nintendo account; this information may be used for Marketing Purposes.

So I guess there will be less focus on a 3DS shop account like on the Wii and DSi, instead integrating the Club Nintendo account more directly into the system.

I wonder what feature NCL needs to use the data of European customers for? (which I thought they already had and used*) Hopefully its points troward a reiogn-less e-sho...oh who am I kidding its just an excuse so Iwata can put up more demographic slides...

Speaking of which has this ever been implimented?
"You will be able to check your statistics from Nintendo games with online functionality (service dependent on availability)."

*-Whats the point of those post-play surveys if the information can not be fed back?

Shiggy

So I guess there will be less focus on a 3DS shop account like on the Wii and DSi, instead integrating the Club Nintendo account more directly into the system.

I cannot really see that from that text. Except for the statistics, you already get all on Wii.

GJS

Shiggy said:
I cannot really see that from that text. Except for the statistics, you already get all on Wii.
Yes but as far as I'm aware you can only exchange stars for points on your computer, not directly from the console.
The changes in wording seen below gave me the image that things involving the Club Nintendo account would now be done more directly on the console.

You will be able to redeem your Stars to get Nintendo Points online (service dependent on availability)
to
You will be able to redeem your Stars to get points or funds for shopping services on your console (service dependent on availability)

The previous privacy policy also always mentioned linking your shop account with your Club Nintendo account, whilst now it references linking your console directly.

...you have the option to link your Club Nintendo account to your Wii Shop Channel account.
to
If you already own a Nintendo console or if you buy such a console in the future, you have the option to link your Club Nintendo account to your console (provided your console supports this feature)

So this will be as close to account based as we are going to get? Doesn't sound too bad unless you can't redownload to a new system if you exchange it

jarosh

i REALLY hope nintendo isn't stupid enough to (once again) rely on club nintendo linking exclusively, instead of separate accounts. in many countries club nintendo does NOT exist and you're not technically even allowed to make an account. for example: there is no option to link your account on pal wiis that aren't from the short list of 9 club nintendo countries in europe.

Wooo!!

Exclusive (for suckers) 3DS t-shirt arrived today. Lowly number of 0038! I suppose everyone here will be starting to get theirs too, so let's compare numbers. I'm winning so far!

dwu8991

Banned
wackojackosnose said:
Wooo!!

Exclusive (for suckers) 3DS t-shirt arrived today. Lowly number of 0038! I suppose everyone here will be starting to get theirs too, so let's compare numbers. I'm winning so far!

I'm ready to kiss your arse now!

mclem

From The Dust said:
So this will be as close to account based as we are going to get? Doesn't sound too bad unless you can't redownload to a new system if you exchange it

I'm curious if they do this method with Cafe, because I think it might get a bit confused with my setup. I had a Wii at launch which got stolen in a break-in. It had a few VC titles on it, which were therefore linked to my Club Nintendo account. Since getting a replacement through insurance, I was told Nintendo couldn't replace my VC titles since I couldn't come up with a serial number for the stolen Wii (a claim about which I'm still somewhat sceptical, but I've moved on from it), so I just rebought the most important titles (i.e. Bomberman), and left the others.

If the new system would be able to download based on *account* registration, I wonder how it'll comprehend two Bombermans on the system.

hi4aj.jpg

1r8aa.jpg

I nearly bought a 3DS two weeks back with my first pay after months of unemployment but after thinking over the current games out there I decided not too, not really interested in anything and I also did this with the DS, only played mario kart and resident evil DS for a while and then sort of ignored the DS for a long time, best for me to wait it out.

Diablohead said:
I nearly bought a 3DS two weeks back with my first pay after months of unemployment but after thinking over the current games out there I decided not too, not really interested in anything and I also did this with the DS, only played mario kart and resident evil DS for a while and then sort of ignored the DS for a long time, best for me to wait it out.

Id give it await mate, the software is really dry since launch.

The shirt numbers are janked!
I registered my 3DS at about 8:20am the day before launch (so like a whole 16 hours before the 'first' ones would've went on sale at midnight launch) and my shirt number is.....
Huh!?

Why am I complaining about this? Well because I'm a damn idiot obviously and I should shut the hell up and just be happy I got one (which I am!) it's just that I wanted a cool number like in the first 50 or something :p

Manmedaz

People where getting their 3DS 2 days before launch in France, which may explain why you got such a number. I hope I'll get my tee-shirt soon too :). I wonder what my number will be :D.

thy_

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
I registered my 3DS at about 8:20am the day before launch (so like a whole 16 hours before the 'first' ones would've went on sale at midnight launch) and my shirt number is.....
Huh!?

Why am I complaining about this? Well because I'm a damn idiot obviously and I should shut the hell up and just be happy I got one (which I am!) it's just that I wanted a cool number like in the first 50 or something :p

My 3DS came on launch day at about 9:30am CET (per DHL from amazon.de with regular shipping), registered it probably at 10 and I'm Registrant No. 0219.

I honestly was a bit surprised when I got that e-mail.

Jo Shishido's Cheeks said:
Huh!?
Maybe the numbers counted down or were by the order in which you replied with the personal infos.

RpgN

I have...a 3DS 0_0

It was on sale on Dynabyte in Holland, they had only one on display so I went to Mediamarkt and they adjusted their price to match Dynabyte. So I couldn't resist anymore...I'm so weak. At least Dead or Alive Dimensions will be here in 8 days and Zelda about a month. But I haven't got a game, Pilotwings is too expensive in shops now. I ordered it online and should get it by Saturday though.

Played a bit with Mii, Face Raiders, camera, sound and saw a bit of Puzzle and a Quest thingie.

A couple of questions...

1. To get a new Mii, does it have to be through the pass or coins feature? Can it be online with friends as well?

2. I've read reports about the upper screen being too loose with some 3DS's but I'm not sure if my 3DS is too loose or acceptable. It's certainly not as tight as a DS lite, but when you set it on the furthest step, it doesn't drop. You hear a click sound when that happens. But if I don't put it on the furthest stand, it's very loose and could easily drop. Is that intentional or not?

3. Anything I should know?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
RpgN said:
I have...a 3DS 0_0

3. Anything I should know?

2. Sounds about right.

3. If you like turnbased strategy and X-Com, you should get Ghost Recon. It's basically the best non-port 3DS game so far (#2 on Metacritic behind SFIV).

RpgN

Tempy said:
2. Sounds about right.

3. If you like turnbased strategy and X-Com, you should get Ghost Recon. It's basically the best non-port 3DS game so far (#2 on Metacritic behind SFIV).

Great!

As for Ghost Recon...I heard about it but I'm not sure if it's necessary. It looks so generic and I still need to get through some Advance Wars, Fire Emblem games and more. I bet those are better.

Eh...I meant Spotpass with the first question :p Can you use Spotpass instead of Streetpass to get new Mii's and use them for quest and puzzle games?

Just tried on my t-shirt and..... It's actually pretty stylish!
I love it! Planning to go to Asia soon, I'll be taking it with me for sure!
I'm surprised it's slim fitting and is large size as opposed to the usual 'computer game related = xxl' clothing standard that used to be around.
Clearly Nintendo thinks it's slimmed Europe down via Wii Sports and Wii Fit :)

Jackano

#503. Shit, this is high for a purchase/Club Nintendo registration made on wednesday instead of friday launch.

I'm now conviced that numbers were allowed in the order of mail/address form validation, and not in the order of Club Nintendo system registration.

BARKSTAR

Banned
Got my shirt the other day also. Registration number 1080 is the number I got. Snowboarding and High Definition springs to mind!

kanugo

Quick question from a 3DS n00b: I know the console comes with a 2GB SD card, so my question is this: when the card is full, is easy to change the downloaded games to a new SD card?

Kjellson

Quick question:

I bought Spirit Tracks recently and I remember reading that DS games looked better if you hold down some specific buttons when turning on the system.

Is it true? What buttons is it?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kjellson said:
Quick question:

I bought Spirit Tracks recently and I remember reading that DS games looked better if you hold down some specific buttons when turning on the system.

Is it true? What buttons is it?

If you hold SELECT while starting up a DS game (hold SELECT, start the game from the menu, and don't release SELECT until the DS game actually starts up), then the DS game will play in its original resolution and without stretching.

[Nintex]

Sennorin said:
Still no points card available for eShop-shopping. It´s getting pretty ridiculous. Anyone have news on this?
I think they've just given up on that. I was at NoE to play some stuff and their reaction was: "Euuhh, points cards... yeah we're still working on it, nothing official atm"

Top Bottom