• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2017 |OT|

Chris R

ZERO padding on some of the trickier corners were people would most likely lose it with this rain is terrible planning by the tour.

How many people have already been dropped?

teepo

fucking garbage

why do they have crash pads for some of the corners and not others? you'd imagine they'd be more prepared than this, especially during a 14km time trial. it doesn't get easier than that

JPKellams

Reports he has a broken left leg, season over.

Looks wetter now than when Thomas made his run. Roglic nowhere.

I thought broken leg the minute I saw the crash. Terrible result. Terrible adjustment by ASO to issues with the rain. As Lance Armstrong said, rain is the worst way to start a tour.

Also, Sky did something to their TTs. Whether it is the new skin suit, or something on the bike, this is pretty unprecedented.

I thought broken leg the minute I saw the crash. Terrible result. Terrible adjustment by ASO to issues with the rain. As Lance Armstrong said, rain is the worst way to start a tour.

Also, Sky did something to their TTs. Whether it is the new skin suit, or something on the bike, this is pretty unprecedented.

4 inside the top ten, that wind tunnel money paying off.

On the other hand, most of the Lotto Jumbo riders fell off so they need to go back to the drawing board.

teepo

there is no way this tour will be as boring as the past few, not with the way the tour is designed.

though, i'm not saying that it won't be boring

Limited TTs is good, but other than that I don't see anything deterring the Sky train. Especially since Sky domestiques just beat all the other GC contenders.

Charamiwa

Banned
Valverde out
Izaguirre out
Sky dominating everything
Kung and Martin too slow

This is pretty much the nightmare I had last night.

Fonds

Awww yissss! Tour Time, thanks for making the OT!

That was a butcher of a first stage.
Already looks set to be one stale ass Grand Tour.

Did wonders for my Velogames standing though!

I heard there was some controversy regarding the legality of those little knobs. If the aero gain is as big as that, for good reason.

edit: kinda spoils the entire Tour it does.

Addnan

Those little things on his arms is supposed to give 18 seconds over 14km? Is this like the whole Team GB has rounder wheels.

yagal

caught this on peleton and it might be the answer your looking for

it's estimated to give sky an 18 second advantage

They need to ban it, kudos to Team Sky for doing R&D but I don't the rest of tour to be a 24/7 whining about the new suit.

What we need is another team with infinite money , imagine the Qatari in cycling ... Team Qatar Airways

They need to ban it, kudos to Team Sky for doing R&D but I don't the rest of tour to be a 24/7 whining about the new suit.

What we need is another team with infinite money , imagine the Qatari in cycling ... Team Qatar Airways

Isn't there an Etihad UAE team?

Addnan

Cycling needs some yellow flags or something. The way they dragged Valverde away to avoid other riders looked so wrong. What if something more was broken.

Luke Durbridge also went down hard at the same corner that claimed Valverde and is no guarantee to start stage 2 due to an ankle injury.

Contenders:

Froome 0
Gesink +19"
S. Yates +25"
Porte +35"
Quintana +36"
Talansky +37"
Maijka +37"
D. Martin +37"
Pinot +38"
Aru +40"
Contador + 42"
Fulgsang +42"
Barguil +47"
Roelandts +48"
Meintjies +1.00"
Chaves +1.01"
Rolland +1.04"
Mollema +1.06"
Bennett +1.25"
Gallopin +2.51"

Lots of Skybots in there as well though most will get used up for Froome at some point.

Really a shame about Valverde. One of the most exciting racers out there.

Minus Froome, cool to see the main contendors all within ten seconds of each other.

Ruruja

My money is on Cav to surprise everyone and take the stage.

It's happened before, I'd love it to happen. I usually pick him for my velo team (regardless of form) but decided to go with Démare this time because he looks in great form, let's see!

I also usually pick a Yates brother but Simon didn't impress me at the Dauphiné, now he's gone and done a very respectable TT time to prove me wrong.

sammex

Valverde is lucky is some respects. Confirmed fracture of his patella and talus (ankle), wounds to his tibia and glutes. Probably looking at a few months out at most - could have been three times that if he'd had any ligament damage. Fractures are easier to rehab.

Joni

Looks like Froome could lose some time today. Less optimal bike just before the climb.
Edit: Or back already. They have slowed down a bit on the climb.

Fonds

Could we get some updates on the frontpage?

I mean, I know I wasn't the most consistent during the Giro, but we're just a few days in.

Back on topic:
I'm hoping Sagan can make a fist today during the uphill finish. This stage could go anyone's way though. Kwiatkowski, Matthews and Gilbert also have a good chance to take this stage.

GlamFM

Banned
My daughter enjoying her front row seat:

oi6hw4h.jpg

Addnan

I mean, I know I wasn't the most consistent during the Giro, but we're just a few days in.

Anything specific?

I'll update GC standings at end of each day and try to stick on each stage profile into OP.

Back on topic:
I'm hoping Sagan can make a fist today during the uphill finish. This stage could go anyone's way though. Kwiatkowski, Matthews and Gilbert also have a good chance to take this stage.

I suspect it's steep enough and long enough to unhook pure sprinters like Cav, Kittel and Greipel but not enough to advantage the pure hilly single-day racers. Sagan, Matthews (who was fantastic at LBL this year) or Cobrelli for today.

My tip for the day is Fabio Aru.

It is his birthday today and he might be encouraged to have a go 20k out like he did at the national championship. Kinda similiar to how Nibali tool his first yellow in Yorkshire.

Top Bottom