• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Downsampling, a simple method for making your pc-games look better.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
How is the image getting sharper? I would think that OGSSAA would soften the image a bit. Also, isn't rotated grid super sampling the superior option?

injurai

Banned
Managed to do this with TF2, except the menu text is so small that it hurts my eyes lol. Thanks for the tutorial

I can see how UI scaling could be a problem with this. I wonder if you could downsample the render buffer, but draw the UI at your standard resolution.

legacyzero

Banned
Yeah, this does squeeze your UI waaay down.

I'm happy with my resolution for now though. Looking to get a good deal on a new monitor soon. That should fix the problem I hope.

scitek

I can see how UI scaling could be a problem with this. I wonder if you could downsample the render buffer, but draw the UI at your standard resolution.

Most modern games scale properly. Only one I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't is Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

EDIT: BTW, the Steam overlay, for those of you that use it, doesn't scale properly, but Big Picture Mode's does.

Amazing thread, and got tried explaining this to folks, lol. Also, does anyone have an issue of their games looking a little darker when downsampling sometimes?

Dennis

Banned
Nope. Gonna wait like 5 years for 4K. I'm not Hugh Heffner, and I dont have his money :p

Sharp 32-inch 4K monitor expected to hit the Japanese market in February 2013. The roughly $5,500 monitor sports a 3,840-by-2,160 resolution and HDMI and DisplayPort inputs.

Its just $5,500......which isn't all that crazy to go with the $10,000 PC.

Elixist

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Don't give away my edge!

lmao, i swear to god i was gonna say you let Dennis' secret out.

Thx for thread, i was gonna ask about this in pc thread, but now its here. Seems a little confusing for me and I have Amd so I guess I'll go w/o for the time being.

holy shit at those, Darks Souls and Dota comparisons tho.

scitek

legacyzero

Banned
Sharp 32-inch 4K monitor expected to hit the Japanese market in February 2013. The roughly $5,500 monitor sports a 3,840-by-2,160 resolution and HDMI and DisplayPort inputs.

Fuck this shit I'm going back to CRT's.

and even worse, is nothing is really even going to be broadcasting/streaming in those kinds of resolutions for a while. Hell, even my cable provider wont go beyond 1080i.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
i wish, can only do 30hz like most people. anything higher and it shits itself red

i contemplated removing the limits with that app above but im ok for now

Ah I see, yeah considering how close I can get while still having 60 Hz I'm satisfied. Messing about further for ~10% increase in resolution would be a waste of time for me.

Still cant get mine to go beyond 2048x1152 :(

My monitor just freaks out and restores to default. That's with the automatic option BTW

Did you try those manual timings settings? Try those but with say 2560x1440.

Managed to do this with TF2, except the menu text is so small that it hurts my eyes lol. Thanks for the tutorial

Yeah that's definitely one of the downfalls of this, some games have scalable ui some games have minimalistic ui that isn't affected that much and some games ( like Endless Space ) you need a microscope to be able to read the text.

Try

http://www.abload.de/img/settingsqakkf.png[/IMG

[url]http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4411264&postcount=127[/url][/QUOTE]

No go, tried his settings a while back but didn't work for me.

[quote="Wonko_C, post: 46639535"]Does this work with GTX 200 series? framerate be damned.[/QUOTE]

I don't know to be honest, if you have 300.xx versions of the drivers you could atleast give it a try :).

[quote="SapientWolf, post: 46639574"]How is the image getting sharper? I would think that OGSSAA would soften the image a bit. Also, isn't rotated grid super sampling the superior option?[/QUOTE]

I wish I knew the math/programming behind the actual tech but I'm just regurgitating layman stuff. I don't know much about, or rather anything about RG-SSAA.

Ugh.... No game should have jaggies or the artifacts and side-effects they cause. Immensely unimmersive.

I wish supersampling the shit out of them was cheap and not taxing, on any console/ handheld, pc, tablet, phone.. I hate the little fuckers.

Corky

I tweaked my settings prior... following the Guru3D guide you posted in the OP, in order to keep my pixel clock low enough. I wonder if there's any possible way for me to go higher?

Try the manual timings I posted ( if you have a 1920x1080 monitor ) even if it's for 2560x1440, those timings and resolution settings gave me a much higher resolution that just following the guide.

I hate seeing this because I feel bad. This guide's only for Nvidia cards. I made one for AMD cards a while back, but apparently the 13 series of drivers breaks it. You an try it with older drivers, though.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244&highlight=downsampling

I linked your guide in the first few sentences of the OP, hopefully people will notice that :)

I did. Well, the best that I could understand them. It's just a stupid monitor :(

Ah that's a shame, downsampling is very finicky, my previous monitor ( which was much more expensive than my current one ) a dell u2711 2560x1440 monitor couldn't go a pixel above 2560x1440 native, yet I see others with the same monitor being able to downsample.

Ceebs

I am running 2560X1440 display off a single 670 so I can really only do this with pretty non demanding games but the result always looks amazing.

zQLhxEc.png

Is there any way to fix this? The new resolution just doesn't show up.

And here I thought maximum settings on most games looked fine enough.

I think I may look further into the AMD guide when I have a better computer or am running a low end game. Sounds very useful, and I do have a 2500K and HD 6870 combo, which is fairly decent. But even that sometimes has hiccups on some of the highest end games. And there's no way I would want to force an above 1080p resolution. I don't even multi-monitor.

Maybe if I get a second card and install a fan. And by that time, maybe above 1080p screens will be fairly common.

It also sounds like what screen I'm using matters a great deal, which in my case is a Samsung 40 inch 120 hz 1080p LED TV. I don't even watch TV, I just like having my PlayStation 3 and gaming PC plugged into the same screen. Considering some games seem pixelated at maximum settings in 1080p when right in my face, some extra resolution might be of some help and fun.

All in all this thread is good for making me drool, but I don't think I can afford the hardware to do anything really crazy. It makes me wish I was rich, though.

I hate seeing this because I feel bad. This guide's only for Nvidia cards. I made one for AMD cards a while back, but apparently the 13 series of drivers breaks it. You an try it with older drivers, though.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244&highlight=downsampling

I was just going to ask whether the 13.1 drivers break it, oh well it never really worked for me anyway but I would have liked to have kept on trying. My crossfire 7870's are lying in wait for a bit of a challenge.

Hawk269

Corky-For one, thank you for this. I am sure it is something that is needed and answers a lot of questions.

My question however is this. Once I do this in the CP, does that mean my normal desktop when web surfing etc is downsampling and every program/game I run will downsample? Do I need to select the custom resolution in the game themselves and the driver will do the downsampling?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

Corky

yeah I already did that =\

Ah I see, I don't really know much about the AMD solution so I can't help out sorry :(

yep!

and they do sweat already at 2560x1600..quite literally my area gets hot with the 580s lol

Hah I can imagine.

Mine just says the resolution is not supported by my display :(

Did you make sure to set your scaling to "gpu" ? In that case I don't think downsampling will work if you get errors even at 2560x1440. What kind of setup do you have?

Got a 720p plasma for PC gaming. Do you think I will see some improvment with 1440p downsampling?

There's always the case of how close to the TV you are but if you got the power to spare you should definitely try out 1440p if that works ( keep in mind that's 4x the resolution of 720p so there should definitely be a noticeable jump in image quality )

My question however is this. Once I do this in the CP, does that mean my normal desktop when web surfing etc is downsampling and every program/game I run will downsample? Do I need to select the custom resolution in the game themselves and the driver will do the downsampling?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

No your desktop will remain at your native resolution ( unless you want to change it that is ) and all you gotta do is select the resolution in the game's settings/options. Like so! :

untitledf2kiu.png

But wont using this method down sample all games instead of only the ones that have enough fps to afford the cost of downsampleing?

Durante

Great thread!

How is the image getting sharper? I would think that OGSSAA would soften the image a bit. Also, isn't rotated grid super sampling the superior option?
The image is getting sharper since you are actually able to resolve more detail, since the grid the rendered scene is being evaluated on gets denser.

And yes, rotated (or better, sparse) grid supersampling AA (SGSSAA) is superior to downsampling/OGSSAA. However, it's not as compatible. If a game does support SGSSAA you should always use that instead of downsampling.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Got a 720p plasma for PC gaming. Do you think I will see some improvment with 1440p downsampling?

Without a doubt yes.

But wont using this method down sample all games instead of only the ones that have enough fps to afford the cost of downsampleing?

You just pick the resolution from within the game. If your frame rate doesn't hold up, then pick a different resolution. simple as that.

I have a Toshiba 720P tV connected to my PC through HDMI(Geforce GTX 550TI)

My TV was running at 1920x1080i at 30hz but I switched it to 1280x720@59hz because the custom resolutions was throwing me a display not supported error when I tried those custom resolutions.

I was able to get the 3600x2025@59hz resolution working but I dont' know what settings to use since the original post's settings are for 1080P lcd's. I just left it automatic and then went into Far Cry 3 and put it at that resolution but the game framerate was around 20FPS. I

I thought I would be able to just do 1920X1080P downsampling but I think since my TV already shows that resolution( 1080i) it would work but it doesn't.

These are my settings.( I followed the previous steps correctly.)

screen.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Great thread!

The image is getting sharper since you are actually able to resolve more detail, since the grid the rendered scene is being evaluated on gets denser.

And yes, rotated (or better, sparse) grid supersampling AA (SGSSAA) is superior to downsampling/OGSSAA. However, it's not as compatible. If a game does support SGSSAA you should always use that instead of downsampling.

Why do some games get blurry with it though, and how do I counter it?

I know you adjust the LOD bias but determining what number to use just seems like a crap shoot. I've done 8xSGSSAA with 8xMSAA and set the LOD bias to -1.5, and it was a blurry mess. I'm not sure whether to tweak it to a lower negative number, or a higher positive number.

Here's the example shot.

iQ60ew9a5PIlY.jpg

I have a Toshiba 720P tV connected to my PC through HDMI(Geforce GTX 550TI)

My TV was running at 1920x1080i at 30hz but I switched it to 1280x720@59hz because the custom resolutions was throwing me a display not supported error when I tried those custom resolutions.

I was able to get the 3600x2025@59hz resolution working but I dont' know what settings to use since the original post's settings are for 1080P lcd's. I just left it automatic and then went into Far Cry 3 and put it at that resolution but the game framerate was around 20FPS. I

I thought I would be able to just do 1920X1080P downsampling but I think since my TV already shows that resolution( 1080i) it would work but it doesn't.

These are my settings.( I followed the previous steps correctly.)

screen.jpg

Because your TV is 720p, I would recommend you set the custom resolution to

2560 x 1440 @ 60hz. See if that works.

Xanadu

Banned
guys i have a 1080p samsung tv and i cannot even get to 2560x1440, how are 720p tvs getting higher than mine?

Did you make sure to set your scaling to "gpu" ? In that case I don't think downsampling will work if you get errors even at 2560x1440. What kind of setup do you have?

Just a cheap wee family set up. Will keep your thread in mind if I upgrade as am planning to this summer though :)

Top Bottom