• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multi Not Announced

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bet that the ME3 singleplayer portion is content complete by now, if it wasn't for the delay (probably due to scheduling or the MP), it would only be a couple months away. It's unlikely that they're diverting resources from SP to MP, so my expectations haven't changed.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bioware:
wo0Pb.gif

Me:
CBDBT.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I haven't really followed ME3 threads since i just finished ME2 yesterday, but it seems most of GAF aren't confident the game will be as awesome as the other 2.

So, what did i miss that give this impression? I saw the stupid dudebro Vega character(hopefully Bioware is aware of how ridiculous he is and will be a joke character), heard about the Kinect stuff(i dont give a shit about that since i'll buy the PC version) and now the multi, which i will probably won't touch.

Derrick01

Banned
Bisnic said:
I haven't really followed ME3 threads since i just finished ME2 yesterday, but it seems most of GAF aren't confident the game will be as awesome as the other 2.

So, what did i miss that give this impression?

A lot of rpg fans not liking 2 at all to begin with, and are disappointed that 3 holds no more promise than 2 did which wasn't much.

megalowho

I'm interested to see BioWare figure out how multiplayer works best in the Mass Effect universe. I don't doubt any future ME games will learn a thing or two from how this bit of content is received. No expectations, but I hope it's there because they had a good idea and not because business said so.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have they said anything about if this game is the end of a story-arc, or the end of Shepard's story arc at least?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
enzo_gt said:
Have they said anything about if this game is the end of a story-arc, or the end of Shepard's story arc at least?
This is the end of the Shepard arc, but there will still be lots of Mass Effect games.

The first one was a RPG with quite action.

The second one was a pure action game with few RPG elements.

The third one will be an action game with multiplayer.

Thank god for being a trilogy. I was already imagining the fourth one set in the WWII.

Franchuzas87 said:
The first one was a RPG with quite action.

The second one was a pure action game with few RPG elements.

The third one will be an action game with multiplayer.

Thank god for being a trilogy. I was already imagining the fourth one set in the WWII.
you mad?

I can't wait for all big-budget games to coalesce into one all-encompassing glob of filling bars, shooting dudes and pressing buttons during cinematics.

d1rtn4p

Man, depressed and disappointed :( I loved the first game; thought the second game was OK, but missed the deeper RPG elements. Finally, I just wanna get through the third game as soon as possible so I can hear whatever story is left and then sell it away.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nirolak said:
This is the end of the Shepard arc, but there will still be lots of Mass Effect games.
Expected, but I'm glad they're not dragging one story on too long either.

Looks like Gears is doing the same thing too. Wise choices.

graywolf323

enzo_gt said:
The issue here is, some people would rather them put their resources into more content for the SP in a SP franchise than try to dabble in MP.

I am in this group, but I'll see what they have before I pass judgment. Mass Effect 1 and 2 have convinced me that the game would be a terrible competitive multiplayer game unless they do some heavy changes to the combat system's core.

add me to that group

barring some miracle it'll be another milestone on Bioware's slippery slope downhill

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Gez said:
I'm not mad, i'm just disappointed and saddened.
Troubled, confused, devastated, underwhelmed, and in disbelief would all be appropriate responses.

I personally don't care. BW doesn't make RPGs anymore. It's for the best to move on. :'(

Frankfurt

Banned
I hear they're trying to have great combat in ME3...

Is combat in ME2 better than 1? Because I'm playing ME1, and I DREAD any combat sequence. It's like the most mediocre third person shooter gameplay I've touched. Gameloft's iPhone Resident Evil clone had better gameplay than ME1. Even clunky games like Wanted are a few notches above ME's action sequences. So bad. I end up playing something else, despite being interested in the plot and the supporting cast.

The Stealth Fox

Frankfurt said:
I hear they're trying to have great combat in ME3...

Is combat in ME2 better than 1? Because I'm playing ME1, and I DREAD any combat sequence. It's like the most mediocre third person shooter gameplay I've touched. Gameloft's iPhone Resident Evil clone had better gameplay than ME1. Even clunky games like Wanted are a few notches above ME's action sequences. So bad. I end up playing something else, despite being interested in the plot and the supporting cast.

The combat in ME2 is so much better. I tried to play ME1 after I finished ME2 and it was absolutely miserable, so I think you'll enjoy ME2's combat much more.

pargonta

The Stealth Fox said:
The combat in ME2 is so much better. I tried to play ME1 after I finished ME2 and it was absolutely miserable, so I think you'll enjoy ME2's combat much more.

I prefer the heatsink in ME1 to ME2, and I prefer slower firefights and more pausing action.

I prefer the armor and shield mechanics in ME2 to ME1 however.

To me, the Combat in 1 is so much better in it's pacing and importance. Some amalgamation of the 2 systems would be awesome. Get rid of Ammo numbers please though. bring back heatsinks.

Not happy about this, but whatever.

I wish them the best on making a decent multi experience. As long as my main game is decent, that's all I want.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
EA2D is now Bioware San Francisco, so there will probably be a Mass Effect Facebook game, if that makes you guys feel better

TOP NEWS STORY: Mass Effect 3 and Modern Warfare 3 actually the same game marketed to two different demographics.

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, if this is the business side tacking on a persistent character team deathmatch thing, that's fine, I'm not going to play it and it won't get in my way. But what if they're setting up the campaign to be co-op playable? That changes the whole nature of the beast. You have to revolve the story, the characters, the mechanics, the level design around that. I'm not playing co-op, so if this is what they're doing they may have actually lost me.

rozay

Banned
Guys, get your popcorn ready for the threads that will be posted on the BSN the day this is (officially) announced.

131122295751.gif

Dacon

Banned
I really really don't get the vitriol Mass Effect 2 gets.

I enjoyed the first game a great bit, ME2 just felt like the same game, with better combat, a more compact storyline/environments, and a conventional reload system.

I miss the exploration and the Mako in ME2, not gonna lie, but it's not like ME1 didn't have its faults, I mean the game was clunky as hell, and there was a lot of pointless running around on barren planets when collection items and whatnot. Then there's all of the technical issues.

Bioware has claimed they're attempting to combine the best elements of both games in the third, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

If they can make a fun co-op mode on top of that, then it's just icing imo.

Jerk

Banned
Call me crazy, but after realizing that Mass Effect 1 was an anomaly, I have been pretty cool with all the mainstreaming of the series.

Co-op in the Mass Effect universe sounds like it might be a good time(as long as it is separate from the main campaign).

Dacon

Banned
Jerk said:
Call me crazy, but after realizing that Mass Effect 1 was an anomaly, I have been pretty cool with all the mainstreaming of the series.

Co-op in the Mass Effect universe sounds like it might be a good time(as long as it is separate from the main campaign).

Yeah, as long as it isn't a bunch of slightly different looking Shepards playing together.

I'd like to play as one of the aliens for once.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I guess multiplayer is a side-effect of improving the combat mechanics. I hope they are serious about the multiplayer component otherwise it will die really quickly.

mujun

I maintain that a "1 vs 1 pick a character class and then 2 or 3 squadmates by character class (plus loadouts of course)" multiplayer mode could be the best MP ever.

ampere

Multiplayer... well if it doesn't take away from the single player campaign it's OK I guess.

I feel like it's being tacked on though, Mass Effect is a single player kind of game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Replicant said:
UGH, please kill any MP trophies with fire. I HATE that shit.
Seriously, multiplayer achievements are the spawn of the devil. Fuck them. Fuck you GRAW for putting these idea in motion in 2005.

Replicant

enzo_gt said:
Seriously, multiplayer achievements are the spawn of the devil. Fuck them. Fuck you GRAW for putting these idea in motion in 2005.

What's the worst you had to do? Mine is from Burnout Paradise:

* Invite a friend to play Freeburn online (But your friend has to have the game and has to play the game at the precise time as you do! What's the likelihood that my friends have the same game and the same timetable as I do when it comes to playing games online or playing games at all for that matter? Try zero to none.)

* Meet with 7 people inside the Wildcats Stadium (try telling 7 ADD strangers that you want them to stick around in the same area until the achievement/trophy pings. Meanwhile, they keep crashing their car into your car. smh)

Bowdz

Not that this announcement changes much, but I am starting to get really fatigued by all of the news coming out of Bioware. I really want to play ME3, not out of excitement for the game, but more a feeling of obligation to finish the trilogy and be done with it. So much of the news that has been coming out since it's announcement has chipped away at my view of Bioware and the ME series.

DanielJr82

Replicant said:
What's the worst you had to do? Mine is from Burnout Paradise:

* Invite a friend to play Freeburn online (But your friend has to have the game and has to play the game at the precise time as you do! What's the likelihood that my friends have the same game and the same timetable as I do when it comes to playing games online or playing games at all for that matter? Try zero to none.)

* Meet with 7 people inside the Wildcats Stadium (try telling 7 ADD strangers that you want them to stick around in the same area until the achievement/trophy pings. Meanwhile, they keep crashing their car into your car. smh)

Bad Company 2:

* Knife 5 friends. *Sigh* First, my friends need to stop playing CoD. Second, they need to get on the opposing team for this to happen. Usually, when you game with friends you game ON THE SAME FUCKING SIDE!

* Destruction 2.0 - Kill 20 enemies with a collapsing building. You have any idea how rare this is? There's a pretty forgivable window when you can escape a collapsing building. Just about everybody can escape it, even noobs.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
How many people have been clamouring for multi-player in Mass Effect? They should be doing everything in their power to improving the core single player mode, cause MW3 and BF3 are going to have the online thing down pat. God, I am starting to really dislike this company.

weeaboo

Well looks like XBW360 is just talking about the usual rumours...

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8044029/25

Ruud333 said:
Just bought the mag and there is one tiny paragraph that says: "Well, if you believe the rumours - which we certainly do - ME3 will have MP. According to various sources, there will be a batch of 3 player co-op missions that run parallel to the main story, with each player assuming the role of a single squad mate. It seems likely that this will happen, and it'll form part of EA's Online Pass system. However devs have been known to ditch MP during development in the past, if it doesn't work..."

So they just quoted the usual rumours and put the word 'multiplayer' on the cover.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8044029/28

Ruud333 said:
The article is only 2 pages (4 sides) and all the info and screenshots I (and therfore I assume most peeps here as well) have seen before.

Despite having 'Multiplayer!' written on the front cover, there is only a 2" by 1" box on one of the pages discussing MP, and as you can see from previous post it is nothing we haven't already heard.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They probably know more than they're letting on. In line with the other report, the mutliplayer may be something like the Cerberus Network, an incentive that arrives post-launch to people who own a new copy of the game.

Top Bottom