• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

Bold One

Comparisons to TW3 are a bit unfair - The Witcher series has had half a dozen or so books and 3 games to build characters, lore and its story to become what is the standard today.

What GG have achieved at their first attempt from the ground up with at a whole new genre is nothing short of staggering.

Humdinger

It's all personal preference, of course, but I'm enjoying Horizon a lot more than I enjoyed The Witcher. I am not nearly as impressed as most people seem to be with Witcher's writing and characterization. It's okay, but none of it moved me, and I can't remember any but the main characters a year later, and I honestly didn't give a sh*t about any of the main characters. I don't remember what the story was about.

I don't find the Witcher's world and premise very interesting. Kind of old hat medieval fantasy stuff. Horizon's world and premise seem a lot more fresh and interesting to me.

Also, I didn't find Geralt a particularly likeable or interesting hero to play. He came off to me like the typical tough stoic guy with the smart cracks, which to me is kind of boring. No real emotional range. I find Aloy's personality and her plight/situation more engaging, and I find her much more likeable, interesting, and sympathetic as a character.

Anyhow, HZD >> Witcher for me.

Toth

It's all personal preference, of course, but I'm enjoying Horizon a lot more than I enjoyed The Witcher. I am not nearly as impressed as most people seem to be with Witcher's writing and characterization. It's okay, but none of it moved me, and I can't remember any but the main characters a year later, and I honestly didn't give a sh*t about any of the main characters. I don't remember what the story was about.

I don't find the Witcher's world and premise very interesting. Kind of old hat medieval fantasy stuff. Horizon's world and premise seem a lot more fresh and interesting to me.

Also, I didn't find Geralt a particularly likeable or interesting hero to play. He came off to me like the typical tough stoic guy with the smart cracks, which to me is kind of boring. No real emotional range. I find Aloy's personality and her plight/situation more engaging, and I find her much more likeable, interesting, and sympathetic as a character.

Anyhow, HZD > Witcher for me.

Wow, you summed up my view of the game as well. I love this world.

Witcher 3 was my game of the generation and while I thought that HZD would be good it far exceeded my expectations and is now my game of the generation at least until TLoU2 (maybe).

prophecy0

I finally finished this game a few nights ago. I had already completed all of the side content before the end so I got the platinum trophy when I beat the game.

I'll be honest. I had about zero hype for this game before it came out. The whole "robot animals" concept didn't do anything for me and I've grown very weary of open world games. I mainly bought the game for it's graphics... and then the game ended up absorbing me completely for almost two months. I was more engrossed in Horizon than I have been in any game since The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 had the benefit of me already being fully invested in the lore as I had read all of the books and played the previous games. Horizon hooked me with it's original premise, amazing combat system, and the great drip-feed of revelations that kept me interested the entire time.

Almost everything about this game is just super refreshing. In a world where it feels like all we get is sequel after sequel, I am SO HAPPY that a game like Horizon exists. I can't wait to revisit the world in the future.

I will say that Horizon seemed overly difficult to me until I bought the tear arrows. Once I did that everything about the combat system just clicked. By the end of the game I really didn't fear any mechanized enemy, with the possible exception of the Stormbird.

I made two semi-short youtube videos. One shows how I dealt with the corrupted rockbreakers... only nothing quite went as planned.

I wanted to kill a ravager and take his cannon to fight the rockbreakers. Well, after starting battle with the ravager two of his buddies joined in, along with some glinthawks and watchers. Once that battle was over I carried all three ravager cannons over to the edge of the rockbreaker territory. As soon as I engaged the rockbreakers with the first ravager cannon another couple of ravagers wandered up on me and opened fire. All ended well though.

The rockbreaker fight starts around 4:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1NoUJTGIYk

The second clip shows just how OP ravager cannons are. A single cannon allowed me to take out the corrupted behemoth zone in 30 seconds flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npFhK7vyulA

EDIT:
I just saw this in my inbox. I think this is the first theme I've received for getting a platinum. Thanks Gurella Games / Sony!
u6rBLco.png

RefigeKru

Banned

Anyhow, HZD >> Witcher for me.

Feel the same. Re-installed the Witcher 3 before playing Horizon (didn't finish it the first time around) and it just didn't engage with me the same way, especially the combat. I remember the Bloody Baron quest but not much else sadly.

Still a great game of course, just Horizon really scratches my itch. I knew from the moment the first trailer dropped, this was for me.

Based GG *bow*

Melchiah

Comparisons to TW3 are a bit unfair - The Witcher series has had half a dozen or so books and 3 games to build characters, lore and its story to become what is the standard today.

What GG have achieved at their first attempt from the ground up with at a whole new genre is nothing short of staggering.

Agreed, particularly because Witcher draws everything from the books, whereas Guerrilla had to create a story, world and characters of their own from scratch. It's astonishing how they well they succeeded on their first entry to an entirely different genre.

On a side note, I platinumed the game 2½ weeks ago, and I still haven't gotten the theme. =/ And I've allowed all e-mails from Sony.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Second Cauldron

This hunting grounds missions requires me to be able to hack into bigger machines but I can't just yet since I haven't found the second one.

Will I come across it doing main story missions? Or do I gotta go looking for it?

David___

Banned
Second Cauldron

This hunting grounds missions requires me to be able to hack into bigger machines but I can't just yet since I haven't found the second one.

Will I come across it doing main story missions? Or do I gotta go looking for it?

You'll find it in the wild when you go exploring the map.
They're usually towards the bottom or top parts of the map

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I never once (except for the tutorial quest early in the game) overrode any machine playing through the story, kinda felt unnecessary for the way I like to play the game. But then I did the hunting grounds missions, and man,
overriding that Thunderjaw
was amazing. I wish I hadn't saved these missions for last.

Staf

I adore both Horizon and Witcher. The things i like more in Horizon is combat and the main protagonist. Everything else i prefer in Witcher 3. Still, both games are top top games and it's shocking that GG nailed the game/genre so damn good on their first try.

Kin5290

I can't really make a definitive judgment because I never finished The Witcher 3 (not because I disliked it but because I stopped playing for some travel and never went back to it). However, one thing that The Witcher 3 does much better than HZD is in creating narrative threads parallel to the to the main quest line that are local in nature. For example, the city of Novigrad is a setting in its own, and entire quests and storylines take place in its confines.

Part of this is just a difference in scale, but then again I found the "Revenge of the Nora" storyline and Erend's storyline to be much more interesting as far as gameplay was concerned than the actual main story quests, and would have liked more of those.

One thing that HZD does much better than TW3 is that it's female characters actually wear clothes.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I finally finished this game a few nights ago. I had already completed all of the side content before the end so I got the platinum trophy when I beat the game.

I'll be honest. I had about zero hype for this game before it came out. The whole "robot animals" concept didn't do anything for me and I've grown very weary of open world games. I mainly bought the game for it's graphics... and then the game ended up absorbing me completely for almost two months. I was more engrossed in Horizon than I have been in any game since The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 had the benefit of me already being fully invested in the lore as I had read all of the books and played the previous games. Horizon hooked me with it's original premise, amazing combat system, and the great drip-feed of revelations that kept me interested the entire time.

Almost everything about this game is just super refreshing. In a world where it feels like all we get is sequel after sequel, I am SO HAPPY that a game like Horizon exists. I can't wait to revisit the world in the future.

I will say that Horizon seemed overly difficult to me until I bought the tear arrows. Once I did that everything about the combat system just clicked. By the end of the game I really didn't fear any mechanized enemy, with the possible exception of the Stormbird.

I made two semi-short youtube videos. One shows how I dealt with the corrupted rockbreakers... only nothing quite went as planned.

I wanted to kill a ravager and take his cannon to fight the rockbreakers. Well, after starting battle with the ravager two of his buddies joined in, along with some glinthawks and watchers. Once that battle was over I carried all three ravager cannons over to the edge of the rockbreaker territory. As soon as I engaged the rockbreakers with the first ravager cannon another couple of ravagers wandered up on me and opened fire. All ended well though.

The rockbreaker fight starts around 4:30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1NoUJTGIYk

The second clip shows just how OP ravager cannons are. A single cannon allowed me to take out the corrupted behemoth zone in 30 seconds flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npFhK7vyulA

EDIT:
I just saw this in my inbox. I think this is the first theme I've received for getting a platinum. Thanks Gurella Games / Sony!
u6rBLco.png

Cool!! Did you find it in your inbox of your emai or in the inbox of your ps4 account?

Jennipeg

So I just tried to kill a Stormbird. It did not go well. Any tips?

It seems to just fly above me and use an electrical attack, and i'm dead very quickly. Does it ever land? I assume tearblast arrows are the way to go, but so far I can't get close enough to aim properly. It basically annihilated me lol.

Paganmoon

It seems to just fly above me and use an electrical attack, and i'm dead very quickly. Does it ever land? I assume tearblast arrows are the way to go, but so far I can't get close enough to aim properly. It basically annihilated me lol.

Ropecaster to force it to the ground is a good start I'd say.

Ropecaster to tie it down when it gets close to the ground, but then... I don't really know. Stormbirds are by far the hardest thing in the game to take down for me. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but they don't really have any obvious weakpoints to take out like other robots and the weakpoints they do have are small and constantly moving. Every fight with one of those things is a battle of attrition for me :p

Great write up.
With Zelda I absolutely felt the magic but the combat gameplay for me is antiquated. I love exploring but was never happy about any combat scenario. Another thing about Zelda is though the game is amazing to explore the surroundings can be very drab and barren at times.

You are 100% right about the Witcher as I have put over 200+ hours into that series. Best character and world ever. However, even though I have come to terms with the combat systems I really only play those games for the story and characters. The combat is just not good imo

Horizon just plays perfectly for me. I love the main character so far and am excited to explore the world but I look forward to fighting. I can't remember the last time I felt that way in an open world game and so for me GG come out ahead of the pack... So far

Saw your post as I was falling asleep, so forgive my late reply. Appreciate the response!

To put my view on Breath of the Wild in context, I wouldn't call myself a Zelda fan per say. At the start of 2017, I was more excited for Horizon, Spider-Man and God of War (please make it this year Kratos!).

Zelda came out of nowhere for me, but I find myself in a bizarre situation where I prefer the combat to Horizon.

A true lock-on, a parry system, backflips and sidesteps and a wider assortment of melee weapons (though not gear in general) all make the combat feel more engaging to me.

Boomerangs, swords, claymores, spears, clubs, magic rods... each weapon feels unique and has a specific purpose in combat.

And while I know some people don't like weapon degradation, I think it's a great way of forcing you to use different weapons regularly which change your approach to enemies.

On top of the weapons, you've also got various physics-based abilities you're given at the started of the game that can be used in combat and can be upgraded later on.

In terms of enemies, gear and the tactical side of combat, Horizon does beat it handily. Being able to rip certain parts off enemies to render certain functions unusable is amazing.

But I actually think outside of the enemies themselves - which lets face it, are the stars of Horizon - Zelda is a stronger combat game at a mechanical level.

Just a side note on Zelda combat, I also think the ability to brew various timed buffs and resistances adds an extra layer of combat Horizon simply doesn't have.

ONE thing that truly frustrated me in Horizon's combat (well, the game in general) was the camera. It's super weird.

I constantly found myself having to adjust it by quickly aiming or tapping my focus. It always seemed to slowly but surely find it's way to the left of Aloy, leaving her body to the right side of the screen.

The camera in this game starts of centrally and gently drift either side depending on how you use it. It might be a pet peeve to some people but I hated it.

It's made worse in combat because your only options of evading enemies are rolling.

The one thing I'll say in regards to your exploration point is that while the environments aren't always packed full of details in Zelda there's usually something to find in them.

If it's not an icon in the map, there's nothing there in Horizon. After exhausting all the game's content I went on the search for secrets, scouring every corner of the map, but was disappointed to find there's just nothing to find. Don't get me wrong, you'll uncover the odd side mission, but there's something so very controlled about it all.

That little alcove at the edge of the map, which could have housed something cool - yep, there's nothing there.

As for Witcher, I actually enjoy the combat but I'd agree Horizon is better in that regard - just for me, it's worse in every other area. lol

I'm not in any way trying to belittle Horizon, it's a great game, a huge achievement for GG and a solid launch pad for a new franchise.

They've created everything from scratch and delivered arguably the best combat in an open-world game ever.

It deserves its plaudits, but I don't think it stacks up to the very best. Horizon 2 could be something really special though.

Ropecaster to tie it down when it gets close to the ground, but then... I don't really know. Stormbirds are by far the hardest thing in the game to take down for me. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but they don't really have any obvious weakpoints to take out like other robots and the weakpoints they do have are small and constantly moving. Every fight with one of those things is a battle of attrition for me :p
Freeze that sob and make him take triple damage. And take out the engines and gun on its chest

Jennipeg

Ropecaster to force it to the ground is a good start I'd say.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I think patience is required for this one, and I thought thunderjaws were hard.

I'm always impressed with some of the quality-of-life implementations in this game. I think my favourite is how you can do so much without breaking your sprint.

Roll, slide, climb, jump, roll, roll, jump, harvest resources, roll, jump...

Still sprinting, yo.

Clicking sticks in is never not shit - especially when you're holding up on them - so it's great to see a game with a 'set and forget' implementation.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
One minor gripe, the craft screen for ammo pouches is needlessly busy.

I haven't got a screenshot to hand, but why do you need to press X on each different type of pouch? There's only one option in each, and it's annoying to have tap in and out of each pouch just to see which materials I need.

Has Horizon surpassed TW3? I don't think it's quite there. As an open world game, TW3 human settlements are more lively, complex, with interior spaces that you could enter. Horizon's in contrast feel like they mostly served as housing for merchants and quest givers. I don't get why people were gushing over Meridian. Carja's architectural style is distinct but it's not that impressive a hub. TW3 also did a lot more to humanize the lesser quests, their stories could be simple but touching, or they were larger quests disguising as simple quests. Monster bounty quests all have stories of their own, every quest giver his/her own plight. Generic merchants had unique banters that maintained immersion.

While TW3's dialogue system doesn't let you express whatever emotion you wanted, it offered players choices on how to approach or resolve a quest. TW3 simply provided significantly more player agency than Horizon (heck you couldn't even quit a conversation with a quest giver without accepting a quest in Horizon).

The biggest missed opportunity of Horizon in my opinion is the side characters. The players simple didn't get to spend much time with them. You helped a character on one thing then waited for him/her to
show up at the final battle
. They've had little charisma and time. In TW3 I could think of quite a few characters from short story arcs from early on that didn't show up much later, plus the loveable cast that I did get to spend time with.

Kin5290

First things first, shoot the gun on its chest with 1-2 tearblast arrows to knock it off. You absolutely need to disable that component if you want the kill. Always keep moving and keep dodging while the gun is active.

Then ropecaster, freeze, and multi hardpoint arrow to the weak points. You can target the engines on the wings, but it's not necessary and I've yet to actually completely ground a Stormbird. Also hit the canisters for easy burn/freeze when it's pinned down.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Hmm, I Platinumed this a while ago and never saw an email with a theme code. Theme looks gorgeous too. Maybe they are just rolling them out? Either way, probably the most fun I've ever had getting a Platinum. Can't wait to replay it. :)

Melchiah

Hmm, I Platinumed this a while ago and never saw an email with a theme code. Theme looks gorgeous too. Maybe they are just rolling them out? Either way, probably the most fun I've ever had getting a Platinum. Can't wait to replay it. :)

Same here. I'm waiting for NG+ to replay the game.

I adore both Horizon and Witcher. The things i like more in Horizon is combat and the main protagonist. Everything else i prefer in Witcher 3. Still, both games are top top games and it's shocking that GG nailed the game/genre so damn good on their first try.
My take aa well. The combat was great and seamless. But i loved the questing more in TW3. I hope they improve thatvin the sequel.

TsuWave

they aren't just rolling them out. i've had mine for weeks. make sure your email settings allow emails from sony

Melchiah

they aren't just rolling them out. i've had mine for weeks. make sure your email settings allow emails from sony

I've allowed the e-mails, and got the Bloodborne theme the same way, but I still haven't received the Horizon theme, eventhough it's been 2,5 weeks since I platinumed the game.

Yes. Just pops you back out prior to starting the final mission.

Thx I wasn't sure if I can proceed normally and then go for plat.

I've just got another cauldron done and those are some of my favorite moments in Horizon - the sense of entering completely alien territory and slowly sneaking through it is amazing.

Yopis

Horizon was not made in a bubble. We got Matrix and Terminator previously. It's not like they were the first to think up robot dinosaurs either.

Love the game and love Witcher also.

Mubrik

Mission with the npc Elaine where she almost committed suicide was nice.
Anyways. More QOL changes or bug for your list GG:
1. For some reason after viewing a quest on the map using the "view quest on map" button from the quest tab, you can't fast travel. Not sure if a bug or not.
2: also wish I could carry more weapons tbh. Lol. I don't care how clustered selection might get, choice is a good thing.
3. I've destroyed 2 storm birds but for some reason they don't show up in statistics?
4. Reduce the price of that rare modification box man.

E: lol. Some of those are wishes.
Game is so so good.
When (if) new game + comes. I'm definitely fighting a stalker under levelled or on vary hard.

Better yet just give me an arena gg fuck narration.
Just arena in the game start menu.
Infact if you want narration just say it's some sort of seeker training or bullshit like that.

Horizon was not made in a bubble. We got Matrix and Terminator previously. It's not like they were the first to think up robot dinosaurs either.

Love the game and love Witcher also.

Wasn't aware Matrix and Terminator were Horizon prequels. That changes a lot of things, I guess /s

pixelbox

Well, that kind of depends on whether you subscribe to the modern cladistics that place birds as avian dinosaurs :D that increases the number to 5 (or 6, if you count different versions as different machines).

Even if I agreed with that, It's 5 out of
People think it's cool to call them robo-dinos when it's not remotely true.

Mooreberg

Is there a glitch in "Death from the Skies" where the Stormbird just vanishes? Or is that supposed to happen after you disable the three lures? Either way, it has me checked off as having defeated it lol.

prophecy0

Cool!! Did you find it in your inbox of your emai or in the inbox of your ps4 account?

It was sent to the e-mail associated with my PSN account. I received it within 48 hours of getting the platinum.

The only downside to the theme is it has a light blue background with a white font, so it's hard to see a lot of text on the screen.

Top Bottom