• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

jtb

Banned
The irony of this whole thread is the people complaint about the book are on a video game message board who have pop culture references in one form or another as picture avatar and who can probably quote Monty Python, discuss the pros and cons of various anime, and who they like more Rick or Mortey until they are blue in th face.

But holy shit that badly written 80s pop culture novel turned film.

So you're saying the book failed to appeal to its target audience?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The irony of this whole thread is the people complaint about the book are on a video game message board who have pop culture references in one form or another as picture avatar and who can probably quote Monty Python, discuss the pros and cons of various anime, and who they like more Rick or Mortey until they are blue in th face.

This is a dumb argument...GAF is not a singular entity and we all hold differing opinions on nerd/pop culture. Just because we post here doesn't mean we can't discuss the book.

It should have been obvious, but I didn't realise that Spielberg actually shot a lot of this film in the Volume stage like he did with Tintin.

Expect a lot of crazy shots.

Oh really? Wow, that means we're in for a lot of fab cinematography and visuals then. Can't wait.

Nope. It's popular enough to get a film headed by Spielberg. Must have some kind of legs. Also, I'm it's target audience and loved it.

It was a best-seller. Any book that's a best-seller of some kind, even today, has studios interested in seeking out the rights, and potentially adapting into a film.

Execution matters.

Pilgrimzero

This is a dumb argument...GAF is not a singular entity and we all hold differing opinions on nerd/pop culture. Just because we post here doesn't mean we can't discuss the book.

Just saying people are bitching about the endless stream of pop culture references . And I'm like yeah, first day on the internet?

JCHandsom

The difference is that I don't try and frame all that stuff as some kind of epic quest that I'm embarking on for fame and glory like RPO does. I just think it's fun to talk about that stuff.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Are you new to this? What do you think people do on hardcore niche forums? We dissect and analyze the things we love and the things we don't. Its our bread and butter and to expect any less seems a tad odd. Go to any OT thread on here and you'll see this in full. The thing is that good works of art can hold up under scrutiny and the best of them actually flourish under intensive examination as it reveals all kinds of nuance and subtleties that might have been missed initially.

JCHandsom

Are you new to this? What do you think people do on hardcore niche forums? We dissect and analyze the things we love and the things we don't. Its our bread and butter and to expect any less seems a tad odd. Go to any OT thread on here and you'll see this in full. The thing is that good works of art can hold up under scrutiny and the best of them actually flourish under intensive examination as it reveals all kinds of nuance and subtleties that might have been missed initially.

You also get good insights like this.

jtb

Banned
Just saying people are bitching about the endless stream of pop culture references . And I'm like yeah, first day on the internet?

What's your argument, exactly? People are hypocrites for using the internet to criticize RPO because both were created for the sole purpose of meme dispersal?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When people on the internet go overboard with memes it becomes at best, spam, at worst, shitposting.

I'm simply holding Cline to standards I would hold myself to.

bjork

Too many days on the internet, more like. Tired of being beaten over the head with nostalgia, especially if it serves no real purpose beyond being there.

Dhx

There's a charming scavenger hunt, riddle solving, buddy film buried underneath the terrible prose. It's also everyman small group vs the AoE invite guilds, criminal gangs, and corporate entities, all out to control the future of VR. That's why people enjoy it.

It's not necessarily even about the nostalgia. I bet most would agree it's way too over the top, presented with the delicacy of a sledgehammer.

Still, there is a spine that would work without a single 80's reference, and it could make a very special movie with the right writer. Spielberg isn't signing up to replicate Michael Bay.

Again, try the audiobook if you haven't. I couldn't read it, either.

Not

Banned
...I could buy into him has Hiro.

But yeah, love Snow Crash, but a really talented screenwriter and director would be needed to make it work.

I said the NEXT John Boyega

Cornish already did it for him with Attack the Block. We gotta find a real blasian with the chops and make him famous

hirojapanesecover.jpg

Man, I have problems with this book, but it's War and Peace compared to etc. etc. etc.

Book seems godawful and anyone defending it as quality writing is a mouth-breathing sucker. Always weird to see people slobbering over something so obviously and lazily pandering to them. And great to see people who want more from their entertainment called cynical by people who don't know what the word means.

The movie could be cool though, doubt I'll see it but the constant references seem better suited for a movie. Catching a glimpse of a character in the background of a scene is a lot more fun and natural than having to wade through paragraphs of pointless call-outs. Visuals look cool too, I always thought the futuristic trailer park on the cover of the book seemed like it had a lot of potential as a setting.

What's the last great movie that grandpa directed? He's been shitting the bed for the past few years.

There's a large gulf between leaking turd all over the fitted sheets and winning Oscars. He might not have made a GREAT movie in awhile, but he's made more than a few very good ones recently.

It's not "shitting the bed" if you don't achieve greatness every time you create.

G-Fex

In this thread we compare Green Eggs & Ham to Ready Player One.

I won't eat those green eggs and ham, I found them disgusting, it was like being at the big dinner table in Temple of Doom and being served chilled monkey brains. I wouldn't ever eat those green eggs and ham, I don't care if they were served poolside with that girl from Fast times at Ridgemont high and the other girl from Weird Science.

WillyFive

What's the last great movie that grandpa directed? He's been shitting the bed for the past few years.

The BFG was a bit childish, but the movies he made the decade before that (Bridge of Spies, Lincoln, War Horse, and Tintin) have been phenomenal movies.

JCHandsom

I won't eat those green eggs and ham, I found them disgusting, it was like being at the big dinner table in Temple of Doom and being served chilled monkey brains. I wouldn't ever eat those green eggs and ham, I don't care if they were served poolside with that girl from Fast times at Ridgemont high and the other girl from Weird Science.

Would you, could you, in a DeLorean?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

OhHNGXn.gif

Lokimaru

I'd be ok with the story if it was something like "I was escaping from the castle of Vandal Savage when I reached a dead end outside. My choice was facing Vandal or jumping off this cliff to my doom when suddenly the IRON FUCKING GIANT flew up from the bottom of the cliff to fly me away." That would be tolerable.

But this is just paragraphs and paragraphs of "I've seen Full House, Family Matters, the Cosby Show, All in the Family, and Cheers. My favorite video games are Super Mario Bros 3, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Dragon's Lair, Castlevania III, and Double Dragon. I like watching E.T, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Back to the Future, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Ghostbusters, Robocop..."

Like where is the actual narrative in this? Even in the Lego Movie, there are characters with motivations that do things that affect the plot.

OK for some context. The Creator of the Oasis left a Book Behind when he died called Anorak's Almanac in which he placed all his rambling thoughts in plus a list of every Video game, song and Movie he every owned and his thoughts on them. This is the Gunters Bible. That's why Wade is studying all this shit so he can get into Halliday's head cause that's what's needed to WIN. Every Gunter on the WORLD is doing this not just Wade. Wade just has no Life and Money so is able to go ham on this stuff though torrents downloads. The Kid was practically Raised Online in Virtual Simulations of Sesame Street and The Electric Company. He goes to School Online in a Virtual HighSchool but the VR is so good that everything is REAL to him. That's where he is when most of the references come up. Sitting in Class bored cause with all the technology at hand the Teacher still can't seem to make Latin interesting so he starts thinking about the contest and all he's done to prepare for it. It's like Batman thinking about all the shit he knows how to do.

Lokimaru

That ain't what I've seen here.

jtb

Banned

There's a large gulf between leaking turd all over the fitted sheets and winning Oscars. He might not have made a GREAT movie in awhile, but he's made more than a few very good ones recently.

It's not "shitting the bed" if you don't achieve greatness every time you create.

Is Lincoln recent enough to qualify? Guess it's been five years or so at this point.

That film is damn good and to reduce it to 'DDL acting showcase' is as reductive as saying the same for, well, any good DDL film.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Bravo.

Well, I mean, Green Eggs and Ham is a great book. Do you think it's particularly well written?
... yes? I mean, it is. I don't look down on children's books, though. Seems that you do.

That's the thing, I don't see anyone proclaim that the book is "in my top ten literary masterpieces of all time". They usually say "I really enjoyed it, it's great" and move on. Sure, you have people gushing about it, most likely due to the nostalgia overdose it provides. To me, Stranger Things scratches the same itch, and I can't wait for season 2.
Main difference is Stranger Things is well written and uses its nostalgia as flavor and not a crutch.

But folks here and elsewhere have such an irrational hate for the book, it's mind boggling. So much energy has been spent on tearing the book AND the author down. We have people finding out of context passages to make their point.
The passages aren't any better in context. Also, you can analyze and critique writing in or out of context, otherwise you wouldn't be able to judge it ever. A sentence can be well-written or not. The passages being quoted aren't like a weird sentence here or there, they're up to entire pages.

These critics need to chill out on trying to make others hate the book as much as they do. It's unhealthy.
I don't care if other people hate it or not. But other people liking it isn't going to make me not criticize it, either. It's okay to be critical. It's okay to wish for better.

Not

Banned

Hahaha

Not

Banned
In Ready Player One, the protagonist saves the day by navigating a fully immersive 3D recreation of Monty Python and the Holy Grail and remembering all the lines, like a nerdy, heartbreakingly pathetic Quantum Leap

One person modeled and programmed said fully immersive 3D recreation all by himself

Then he does the same thing but for WarGames. Luckily, all of his 16-year-old friends have watched the specific movies hundreds of times too, so they're laughing and saying the lines along with him while the fate of the world hangs in the balance

As this is happening the protagonist, narrating from the future, pauses the plot to inform the reader that this is a great idea and millions of people would want to do this and companies that recreated this idea in the future were very, very successful

The protagonist's love interest does all this too, but not as fast or as deftly as the male protagonist

And for some reason all the anime avatar youtubers are calling this their favorite book, no clue why this would appeal to them

Spoilers for Ready Player One

Top Bottom