• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC: New Thor: Ragnarok trailer released

I went I listened to Magic Sword's Volume 1 cuz of this.

ohhh.png

It is good.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So I was reading up on Surtur and his wiki states

"He is vulnerable to intense cold, and can be imprisoned by certain magical spells or by other beings wielding cosmic energy powers equaling his own."

Could Dr. Strange possibly show up to help out against Surtur? I'm convinced he'll be in this movie in some capacity.

SpaceWolf

Banned
they. fucking. nailed it. Hulk's speaking style is goddamn perfect.

and goddamn I hope Hela is sticking around for Infinity War.

At this point, I have no doubt in my mind that if they're keeping the "Thanos is doing it all for Death" angle from the comics for Infinity War, it'll be Cate Blanchett's Hela that Thanos has fallen for. If so, we probably won't be seeing the last of her.

"He is vulnerable to intense cold, and can be imprisoned by certain magical spells or by other beings wielding cosmic energy powers equaling his own."

Could Dr. Strange possibly show up to help out against Surtur? I'm convinced he'll be in this movie in some capacity.

We already know he's in the movie. The end-credits scene with Thor from Doctor Strange was literally taken from Thor: Ragnarok.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

We already know Strange will be in this or at least mentioned based on the credits scene of Dr. Strange.

But cold weakness? Bring in Loki.

Strange is in the film, probably only a small role on earth.

Volimar

And here I was wondering how they'd stand a chance against Surtur with his sword when Thor has lost his hammer. Casket of Ancient Winters plus Dr. Strange might be something.

Yeah Doctor Strange is confirmed in this, we just really have no idea how much yet.

It is interesting they aren't showing him at all in any of the trailers. Wonder if that means its just a small cameo or if they are hiding something big with him aka helping in the Surtur fight

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Before Thor and Loki came in, all the guards were casually admiring a statue of Goldblum.

Yeah, but what were they doing in the movie? XD

Trailer was great! Although I think I saw more than I wanted to see! I think I'm done with trailers until the movie hits. I was already sold from the first trailer, so I really didn't need to see another, but I couldn't help myself!

Thor has always been the weakest of the Marvel movies (although I enjoyed the first one), but this looks like it's finally going to be a genuinely enjoyable Thor movie. It also looks like Taika understands Hemsworth's natural comedic chops and is playing to that strength, something previous Thor movies didn't play up enough.

This trailer makes me want a Masters of the Universe reboot with modern production values.

And Hemsworth playing He-Man obvs.

Edit: Shit, Blanchett can play Skeletor if she wants to.

LowRoller

Wow the thor trailer passed the justice league sneak peek in views on youtube. That's fucking nuts. As someone who loves dc comics and grew up with the DCAU it's a bit worrying lol

Vyer

I've watched this trailer several times off an on all day. Something about it really resonates with me.

This trailer makes me want a Masters of the Universe reboot with modern production values.

And Hemsworth playing He-Man obvs.

Edit: Shit, Blanchett can play Skeletor if she wants to.

i can see it, and it's beautiful

Style is more 70s than 80s - heavy metal, Franz Frazetta, Ralph Bakshi-era Wizzards, Jim Starlin's Adam Warlock and other cosmic Marvel stuff. It's a personal favorite aesthetic era for me and I love that they've gone for it here. Lots of these shots look straight out of a 70s metal album cover.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Wow the thor trailer passed the justice league sneak peek in views on youtube. That's fucking nuts. As someone who loves dc comics and grew up with the DCAU it's a bit worrying lol
Watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople and get hyped for Thor!

Fury451

Banned
So I watched the trailer, what's with the 80s style?

The cynic in me says it's because the general target audience is 80s and 90s kids that look back on that shit with nothing but nostalgia for a better time so it taps into a key part of marketing.

The less cynical part of me says that Guardians did it first, and so maybe they're keeping it in line with their cosmic films because it has sort of a groovy fun space opera buddy adventure vibe that hasn't really been around since some of the 80s and science-fiction boom films.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I think it's more like James Gunn & Taika Waititi are just goofy motherfuckers raised on a lot of Flash Gordon & 70s pop/metal rather than any studio mandate. Half of Captain Marvel is gonna be set in space and I would expect that to be a lot more serious than Guardians/Ragnarok. Then again, even that could have Carol in wacky 90s shenanigans set to Backstreet Boys or Eiffel 65.

duckroll

Marvel needs more films like this and less films like Dr Strange or Homecoming imo. Just hire insane directors and let them know that you're okay with them being insane. Insanity + known brand + talent = GOOD SHIT.

Fuchsdh

I love that this movie feels like you ground up a bunch of 1970s and 80s sword and sorcery pulp art and blended it with prog rock album covers and then just splashed it on screen.

The shots of the Valkyries and Hela are legitimately the most beautiful visuals I have ever seen in a superhero film, and probably in all movies I have ever seen.

duckroll

I love that this movie feels like you ground up a bunch of 1970s and 80s sword and sorcery pulp art and blended it with prog rock album covers and then just splashed it on screen.

I think you just meant to say "I love that this movie feels like an old Jack Kirby comic." Lol. :)

Marvel needs more films like this and less films like Dr Strange or Homecoming imo. Just hire insane directors and let them know that you're okay with them being insane. Insanity + known brand + talent = GOOD SHIT.

The director of Doctor Strange gave an interview where he said he was allowed to go nuts and always expected somebody to knock the door down and tell him he had to reel it back in, but they never did. :)

duckroll

The director of Doctor Strange gave an interview where he said he was allowed to go nuts and always expected somebody to knock the door down and tell him he had to reel it back in, but they never did. :)

Yeah but he's a boring director, so his definition of going nuts is "pretend to put interesting screensavers in the background". What a snorefest.

Yeah but he's a boring director, so his definition of going nuts is "pretend to put interesting screensavers in the background". What a snorefest.

Yep. It wasn't the worst superhero movie last year but it certainly was the most dull to watch for me. Even over xmen

Top Bottom