• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
We ended up going to the range yesterday but we set up the plans for our first golf outing in a couple weeks.

Going to play a scramble with a bunch of the guys on our course of choice nearby.

...so looking forward to getting this season going properly. Last season I was just getting into the sport for the first time, and I got in late. Since then I've put together my starting set of clubs and have been working on swing mechanics.

Based on my range performance yesterday, I'll say I'm probably not too far off where I was at the end of last season. Still lots of improvements to make...namely fixing my ball flight angle. I don't slice it as much as I just hit it to the right, even though I'm lined up straight.

Somehow on my downswing I must be going from inside to outside.

If I fix that, I'll probably be money with my irons and will just need to work on my woods.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RubxQub said:
Somehow on my downswing I must be going from inside to outside.
Maybe you're releasing the club too early? I know on occasion I'll release way too early on my downswing, which causes me to come over the top.

RubxQub

RubxQub said:
Based on my range performance yesterday, I'll say I'm probably not too far off where I was at the end of last season. Still lots of improvements to make...namely fixing my ball flight angle. I don't slice it as much as I just hit it to the right, even though I'm lined up straight.
Remember when I said this? Yeah...so apparently I wasn't setting up straight.. :lol

We played that scramble I was talking about yesterday, and one of my friends noticed that I kept lining up way right of the target. He fixed my position...and when I swung I hit the freaking best drive of my life. Picture perfect.

I have tons of other little swing issues to work on, but apparently set-up position is a major one I need to fix.

Read a great thing online that talks about standing behind the ball, finding the line to the target, and picking a spot on the floor just in front of the ball to use as a guide for your setup.

Going to try that out at the range in a few days and come back with a vengeance.

...also I feel like I should get a new driver. My current one is 11.5 loft and I'm thinking I'd rather be either at a 10.5 or even a 9 to get that cutting power. Is it crazy to carry both, maybe?

XiaNaphryz

RubxQub said:
...also I feel like I should get a new driver. My current one is 11.5 loft and I'm thinking I'd rather be either at a 10.5 or even a 9 to get that cutting power. Is it crazy to carry both, maybe?
You could always get an adjustable one. It'll likely cost more than a regular driver, and just remember that during a round you're not supposed to change loft/face angle etc. But it'll probably be cheaper than buying multiple drivers.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I haven't played in 3 months but I love it.

I have a Taylormade R7 set of irons, R8 woods and an afterburner driver.

I am also terrible at golf.

chibay

I'm planning on buying my first Iron set, I was wondering what shaft I should get. Either graphite or steel? From what I understand, graphites are more expensive, lighter and could hit further from reading graphite vs. steel.

A few days ago, while I was browsing, the salesperson recommended me to get the steel, and his reasoning is because I'm a young man (I'm turning 25 this year) and using a steel shaft would help me improve my game in the long run.

Any thoughts or recommendation guys?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Thinking about starting. Looks like I got eight 18 hole courses near me.

What's the difference between public and private? They all see to have similar prices.

stldave2

I used to play a ton, but took a few years off after college. Just bought all new stuff (minus driver, hybrids, and putter)... excited to play with it all tomorrow morning. Weather is going to be perfect, too!

Golfsmith.com saved me a ton of money over the local Golf Discount:lol

chibay

Thinking about starting. Looks like I got eight 18 hole courses near me.

What's the difference between public and private? They all see to have similar prices.

I think public is open for everyone and you need to pay the greens and caddy fee. While private is members only, you can only play on the greens if you have a friend who is a member at the club. Usually when you're a member, you only need to pay for the caddy fee.

I might be wrong here, I'm just basing/guessing that when you mean private is members only, while public is well.. public.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I took lessons down at the driving range many many years ago. At the time i was young and did not have the patience for it (Around.. 12 ish i think?).
Though after watching the masters last week i've had the urge to get back down to the driving range with a couple of my mates one night and just start hitting some balls out there, only problem being i have no clubs... I think my dad may do however...

XiaNaphryz

chibay said:
I'm planning on buying my first Iron set, I was wondering what shaft I should get. Either graphite or steel? From what I understand, graphites are more expensive, lighter and could hit further from reading graphite vs. steel.

A few days ago, while I was browsing, the salesperson recommended me to get the steel, and his reasoning is because I'm a young man (I'm turning 25 this year) and using a steel shaft would help me improve my game in the long run.

Any thoughts or recommendation guys?
If you want something really really cheap, there's this set on Amazon going for $90. Comes with 3 wood, a hybrid (instead of a 3/4/5 iron), 6 to 9 irons, a pitching wedge, putter, and a bag. You'll likely need to pick up at least a sand wedge with this set, but you can get a decent cheap one from a sporting good store for that.

I suggest starting with that and getting some lessons, I got a similar beginner set 2 years ago when I started out. Once you can consistently get the ball up in the air and relatively straight, you can start thinking about getting custom fit for a more expensive set once you get the money.

In a few weeks, one of the local golf fitters is holding a Mizuno fitting day, I plan on making an appointment and looking for a new set to upgrade to. I'm thinking MP-52s if possible, I want to move on from GI clubs.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
If you want something really really cheap, there's this set on Amazon going for $90. Comes with 3 wood, a hybrid (instead of a 3/4/5 iron), 6 to 9 irons, a pitching wedge, putter, and a bag. You'll likely need to pick up at least a sand wedge with this set, but you can get a decent cheap one from a sporting good store for that.
Awesome. I would like to pick up a set like this for that price. Hope it's still in stock in a few weeks.

STG!

chibay said:
I think public is open for everyone and you need to pay the greens and caddy fee. While private is members only, you can only play on the greens if you have a friend who is a member at the club. Usually when you're a member, you only need to pay for the caddy fee.

I might be wrong here, I'm just basing/guessing that when you mean private is members only, while public is well.. public.

Not wrong at all, you got the gist of it but you're missing one large factor regarding private clubs and that is basically you're paying for everything. It's a big up front cost for membership and is followed by a yearly fee. But by being a member you have full access to all the facilities of the club, you're partially an owner, and of course, the exclusivity. You just can't waltz onto a private golf course expecting to play... unless your a PGA pro. :)

You might have to pay for guests and "family" depending on how that club is set up. Immediate family (significant other, kids up to a certain age) are free, close family (cousins, uncles/aunts, you can bend that term however you like...) are discounted, guests are usually a different matter. Differs from club to club, but it's a good thing to look into when becoming part of such a club.

chibay

I've been playing like a few months now, all this time I've been borrowing the clubs from the driving range or friends. I'm pretty decent with my swing now, hence the reason why I'm asking for opinion on which shaft I should get.

XiaNaphryz

chibay said:
I've been playing like a few months now, all this time I've been borrowing the clubs from the driving range or friends. I'm pretty decent with my swing now, hence the reason why I'm asking for opinion on which shaft I should get.
The best answer is to go get fitted by a custom fitter, ideally one with a decent setup that can measure club speed, etc. You'll likely go with a steel shaft, but you won't know for sure unless you try multiple configurations out yourself or just go get fitted.

RubxQub

Man...this video has really changed my backswing for the better...like for the extreme better.

I've never hit all my clubs more directly or straighter than my last time at the range on Saturday. I have muscles that are sore that I've never felt before, so I'm tapping into another area of my body that I haven't be using before.

Basically the video talks about how your backswing should not be thought of as a stand-alone motion, but more of picking up the motion of a pendulum going back and forth at a given point.

What I do is visualize myself doing is swinging the club forward and backward, and the backward part is the part that I pick up with at the start of my swing. In my mind I'm coming back from a full swing, but I'm just starting my motion physically once the club is mentally at the setup position.

The result is that I'm not treating my backswing as this completely separate motion from the rest of my swing, just starting my pendulum motion at a midpoint instead of an endpoint.

...I have no idea if I was able to explain that properly, but the long and short of it is that it's done wonders for me.

Was really hoping to get back to the range again, but the rain pretty much ended that. My arms could use a break, though, as they are still a bit sore from Saturday.

This game is so addicting. :lol

XiaNaphryz

RubxQub said:
Man...this video has really changed my backswing for the better...like for the extreme better.

I've never hit all my clubs more directly or straighter than my last time at the range on Saturday. I have muscles that are sore that I've never felt before, so I'm tapping into another area of my body that I haven't be using before.

Basically the video talks about how your backswing should not be thought of as a stand-alone motion, but more of picking up the motion of a pendulum going back and forth at a given point.

What I do is visualize myself doing is swinging the club forward and backward, and the backward part is the part that I pick up with at the start of my swing. In my mind I'm coming back from a full swing, but I'm just starting my motion physically once the club is mentally at the setup position.

The result is that I'm not treating my backswing as this completely separate motion from the rest of my swing, just starting my pendulum motion at a midpoint instead of an endpoint.

...I have no idea if I was able to explain that properly, but the long and short of it is that it's done wonders for me.

Was really hoping to get back to the range again, but the rain pretty much ended that. My arms could use a break, though, as they are still a bit sore from Saturday.

This game is so addicting. :lol
Just remember not to get too transfixed on "let the arms swing" and forget to let your overall swing wind/unwind in the proper order. It's easy to forget about the lower body, etc if you focus too much on the arms.

But yeah, depending on how you learn I can see how people don't properly shift their weight on the backswing.

Now that im getting older and have a wife/family/responsibility, I find that one of my favorite things to do with my "me time" is play a round of golf. Even jsut going to the driving range is great for me.

Make no mistake I am a weekend hacker at best, any score in the double digits is a good round for me, It is still a great way to spend 2-1/2 hours

XiaNaphryz

Oh god, I just spend $1600 after getting fitted. :lol

MP-630 10.5 degree driver, stiff Fubuki shaft (~$300)

23j5tna.jpg

MP-52, 4 iron - PW, Dynalite Gold XP S300 shafts (~$112 each)

j97mtj.jpg

MP T-10, GW (52/07) and SW (56/10) (~$110 each)

1sf3t2.jpg

I may as well get a new putter while I'm at it. Looking at an Odyssey White Ice:

2lw185y.jpg

dvdjamm

$1600...For that much I hope you're shooting under par...

I've never played but I want to badly...How do I start? I figure I can buy a cheap set of clubs,but where can I go that can teach me how to play without it costing me an arm and leg?

XiaNaphryz

dvdjamm said:
$1600...For that much I hope you're shooting under par...
Not really. :lol

I've been saving for a while and been looking to upgrade. The irons are probably a bit better for me than I should get at the moment (the fitter suggested the MX300 line over the MP-52, but said I could go with either, and the price difference is negligible between them anyway), but I don't mind putting in extra practice at the range. In the end, it's about improving my ball-striking consistency, these clubs will just force me to get better. :lol

Plus Mizuno irons seem to have some of the best depreciation value in terms of trade-ins, so they seemed like a good long-term choice.

dvdjamm said:
I've never played but I want to badly...How do I start? I figure I can buy a cheap set of clubs,but where can I go that can teach me how to play without it costing me an arm and leg?
There's some good suggestions throughout this thread, as well as this older GAF thread linked to in the OP. Take a read through!

XiaNaphryz

Marvie_3 said:
Holy shit. My entire set cost me ~$250.
My first (and current set before this) set cost me like $200. It's really the best way to start out, considering how long it will take you to get the ball in the air with any sort of consistency. Don't bother even considering moving up to a higher-end set until you can hit your irons well 80-90% of the time (i.e. even the mishits still travel relatively straight and a good distance). The cheap set has served me well for 2 years, but I think I can move on now.

dvdjamm

XiaNaphryz said:
Not really. :lol

I've been saving for a while and been looking to upgrade. The irons are probably a bit better for me than I should get at the moment (the fitter suggested the MX300 line over the MP-52, but said I could go with either, and the price difference is negligible between them anyway), but I don't mind putting in extra practice at the range. In the end, it's about improving my ball-striking consistency, these clubs will just force me to get better. :lol

Plus Mizuno irons seem to have some of the best depreciation value in terms of trade-ins, so they seemed like a good long-term choice.

There's some good suggestions throughout this thread, as well as this older GAF thread linked to in the OP. Take a read through!

Thanks for the help and will look through both posts...

What's your best round?

XiaNaphryz

dvdjamm said:
What's your best round?
115. My short game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. :lol

I can usually get to near the green fine in a few shots. Inside 70 yards though, who knows - a typical par 4 for me usually goes drive, approach, pitch, pitch, pitch, 2 or 3 putt. And that assumes decent lies - if there's a weird slope or I'm in the sand or the rough, all bets are off. I do well on par 3s and short par 4s. Standard to long par 4s and par 5s I can get into trouble quickly.

Again, I don't expect all these new clubs to vastly improve my game right away - I expect a lot of time at the range again improving my swing to use them effectively. If anything, I hope the new wedges will help most of all as I work on the short game stuff more and more.

XiaNaphryz said:
115. My short game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. :lol
I played a real 18 hole course for the first time this year and shot a 106. Can I have your set? :p

I did much worse the second time at that course. :(

XiaNaphryz

CajoleJuice said:
I played a real 18 hole course for the first time this year and shot a 106. Can I have your set? :p

I did much worse the second time at that course. :(
I'm sure I can break 100 if I can just chip consistently so I can avoid friggin 3 putting all the time due to being too far from the hole. Doing that alone will likely get me into the 90s easily.

Also, I never got a driver in my current set so on longer holes I had to make do with 3-wood/mid-iron/wedge to get to the green. I also didn't play for a good 8-9 months since last June due to my second kid being born, so I didn't have any chance of improving over that time. But I'm back with a vengeance now! Hoping to hit the 90s by the end of the season at the very least.

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm sure I can break 100 if I can just chip consistently so I can avoid friggin 3 putting all the time. Doing that alone will likely get me into the 90s easily.

Also, I never got a driver in my current set so on longer holes I had to make do with 3-wood/mid-iron/wedge to get to the green.
Yeah, the short game really is everything. The main reason I did so well that round was because I two-putted just about every hole. I have a driver, but I think that round I used it sparingly because I am so horrible with it. But I'm fairly good with my 3-iron, so I'm able to reach or come very close to reaching in regulation on most holes just with that.

I need to buy some woods and a sand wedge. All I have is a massive driver that I'm afraid to use and 3-9 irons + pitching wedge. I've had two people I've played with mention some "rescue club" thing. Maybe I should get one of those too. And a hybrid. I can't keep up with all these fancy things.

I wish you luck with your goal! That's pretty much mine this summer. This is the first year I'm really going to take it seriously. I've played on and off since I was a kid, but probably averaging only two rounds a year at the local 9-hole joke of a course, since I spent most of my time playing baseball. But now I'm focusing on the sport I'll be able to play for the rest of my life.

XiaNaphryz

CajoleJuice said:
Yeah, the short game really is everything. The main reason I did so well that round was because I two-putted just about every hole. I have a driver, but I think that round I used it sparingly because I am so horrible with it. But I'm fairly good with my 3-iron, so I'm able to reach or come very close to reaching in regulation on most holes just with that.

I need to buy some woods and a sand wedge. All I have is a massive driver that I'm afraid to use and 3-9 irons + pitching wedge. I've had two people I've played with mention some "rescue club" thing. Maybe I should get one of those too. And a hybrid. I can't keep up with all these fancy things.

I wish you luck with your goal! That's pretty much mine this summer. This is the first year I'm really going to take it seriously. I've played on and off since I was a kid, but probably averaging only two rounds a year at the local 9-hole joke of a course, since I spent most of my time playing baseball. But now I'm focusing on the sport I'll be able to play for the rest of my life.
Rescue club's pretty much synonymous with hybrid. If you're good with your long irons, you may not need to bother with them as they're meant to replace long irons if you have trouble hitting them consistently. But you never know, they may work better for you than a 3 or 4 iron.

And definitely look into a good sand wedge - it'll make your short game a lot easier to manage. You can find a cheap one for $30-$50 which is what I did at first, but since a really good high end one's around $110 you may want to just spring for one. There's definitely a noticeable difference!

XiaNaphryz said:
Rescue club's pretty much synonymous with hybrid. If you're good with your long irons, you may not need to bother with them as they're meant to replace long irons if you have trouble hitting them consistently. But you never know, they may work better for you than a 3 or 4 iron.

And definitely look into a good sand wedge - it'll make your short game a lot easier to manage. You can find a cheap one for $30-$50 which is what I did at first, but since a really good high end one's around $110 you may want to just spring for one. There's definitely a noticeable difference!
Thanks for the advice, dude. I did not realize that about rescue clubs and hybrids; I thought the rescue club was more like something towards the pitching/sand wedge spectrum. Oops.

And yeah, I'm just lazy/cheap with the sand wedge issue, but I definitely think I should spring for one ASAP. I'm able to hit out of sand traps most of the time by tilting my pitching wedge, but every once in a while it's a disaster. On the other hand, that might still happen with the sand wedge. Either way, I definitely need one.

Edit: Just read a short article on wedges:
A sand wedge is optional for beginners, but will likely be one of the first "add-ons" you purchase if you become addicted to golf.
Yeah, it's time for a sand wedge.

XiaNaphryz

CajoleJuice said:
Thanks for the advice, dude. I did not realize that about rescue clubs and hybrids; I thought the rescue club was more like something towards the pitching/sand wedge spectrum. Oops.

And yeah, I'm just lazy/cheap with the sand wedge issue, but I definitely think I should spring for one ASAP. I'm able to hit out of sand traps most of the time by tilting my pitching wedge, but every once in a while it's a disaster. On the other hand, that might still happen with the sand wedge. Either way, I definitely need one.
The sand wedge is generally better for your short range shots from 80 yards and in - the higher loft makes it a lot easier to get the ball high in the air if you need to get over something. It'll make bunker shots a lot easier, but it's a lot more useful than for just that.

rage1973

I shot my best ever round of 77 on a par 72 course yesterday and my handicap is now below 11. Couple more rounds in the 70s should get me into life long goal of being a single digit handicap.

XiaNaphryz said:
The sand wedge is generally better for your short range shots from 80 yards and in - the higher loft makes it a lot easier to get the ball high in the air if you need to get over something. It'll make bunker shots a lot easier, but it's a lot more useful than for just that.
The thing is *sometimes* I hit pretty damn nice shots with my pitching wedge, e.g., the last time I was out, I hit a approach shot from about 75 yards to about 4 feet -- but then missed the birdie putt :(. I'm not so sure how much a sand wedge would help with my inconsistency.

Schmitty

I'm going to play 18 tomorrow at the course at my school. Looking to shoot somewhere in the 90s for the first time going out this summer.

STG!

rage1973 said:
I shot my best ever round of 77 on a par 72 course yesterday and my handicap is now below 11. Couple more rounds in the 70s should get me into life long goal of being a single digit handicap.

*shakes fist*
Congrats dude. :)

Nice clubs you picked up XiaNaphryz, I've been considering picking up a new set for myself sometime this year. If not, I'll have 'em for next season!

My schedule is already filling up: got a few industry events I'm playing at and (when I'm not neck-deep swamped with work at the office) a couple afternoon rounds with my father and brother soon. Maybe even get a round in with a co-worker, that would be cool. Yay for warmer weather back up north!

I'm definitely going to get out at least once this weekend. It's supposed to be fucking GORGEOUS on Saturday. 80 degrees to ring in May in NY. Sweet.

RubxQub

Hit the range again today and once again was hitting pretty damn well. That video I linked early just magically fixed a lot of nonsense I had going on. I only hit maybe 2 duds out of the entire bucket. All of my shots went the proper distances, I just need to work on fixing a little bit of a hook I've got going on.

Really want to get a lower loft driver, too. I bought an 11.5 because it was the only one they had in stock at the time (Nike Sumo 5900, this was last year) and I really like the feel of it. I much prefer that penetrating lower shot to the floaty ones, as it really accentuates my hook.

I need to get out to the course more, but my friends are so tentative about it that I think I'd end up solo, which wouldn't be so hot since I'm not that amazing.

Feel like I'll be at the range forever, but even so, I love it.

XiaNaphryz

RubxQub said:
Hit the range again today and once again was hitting pretty damn well. That video I linked early just magically fixed a lot of nonsense I had going on. I only hit maybe 2 duds out of the entire bucket. All of my shots went the proper distances, I just need to work on fixing a little bit of a hook I've got going on.

Really want to get a lower loft driver, too. I bought an 11.5 because it was the only one they had in stock at the time (Nike Sumo 5900, this was last year) and I really like the feel of it. I much prefer that penetrating lower shot to the floaty ones, as it really accentuates my hook.

I need to get out to the course more, but my friends are so tentative about it that I think I'd end up solo, which wouldn't be so hot since I'm not that amazing.

Don't stick to the range all the time, though. It's easy to get to the point where you hit it great on the range but don't hit it nearly as well when you're on the course (you're not hitting balls every 30-45 seconds letting yourself get into a hitting rhythm). You'll want to get to the point where you practice more on the course than on the range.

If there's a time at a nearby course that's not very busy, you should do just that (assuming the course aren't being hard-asses about rules). At each hole, hit a few balls off the tee. Then continue to hit those balls to the green and hole out. If no one's behind you, you can spend a few more minutes practicing some short game shots near the green. Try not to spend more than 15-20 minutes per hole and always be aware of anyone who may be behind you who may catch up. You may want to let them play through if it's easier.

MrSerrels

I grew up with a family full of golfers. One of my Uncles plays off a scratch (0) handicap, and the other plays off +3 – which means he has to add shots onto his score when he plays! :lol

Absolutely no shit, my brother shot a 79 for 18 holes when he was fucking nine years old.

Sadly, I'm the only one in my family with absolutely no golfing talent whatsoever – I stopped playing when I was about 14 years old, and my best score at the point was a round of 91.

I started playing again recently with some mates from work. First round back I shot 100 – so close to breaking into two figures but I messed up the back nine!

rage1973

XiaNaphryz said:
For anyone interested, an example of the particular fitting I had is up at Mizuno's website here. Just click on the "What's a Shaft Optimizer" link to watch a video of the process.

The problem with getting fitted before really developing your swing is that as you get better your swing will change and sometimes drastically. So that custom fitted clubs you had when you were shooting 100s will seem off when your swing speed goes up and maybe you learn to draw the ball or fade it. I would try to hold off on getting any custom fitting until you get some lessons or develop a more constant swing as you get better.

rage1973

RubxQub said:

If you hook the ball with your driver it will get worse with the lower lofted club. I would stick with the higher lofted driver until you learn to hit the ball straighter.

Marvie_3

Banned
rage1973 said:
Damn, that's awesome. I thought I was doing well when I shot an 89. Normally, I'm up around 95-100. :lol

XiaNaphryz

rage1973 said:
The problem with getting fitted before really developing your swing is that as you get better your swing will change and sometimes drastically. So that custom fitted clubs you had when you were shooting 100s will seem off when your swing speed goes up and maybe you learn to draw the ball or fade it. I would try to hold off on getting any custom fitting until you get some lessons or develop a more constant swing as you get better.
Err, that's why I went with the clubs slightly better than what was recommended for me. And you make it sound like I need to be sticking with super GIs or something - the fitter thought I was on the borderline between GIs and the better player irons with the MX300/MP52 rec. I've been getting lessons on and off for 2 years, my full swing's more or less okay - I can easily get my 8 iron 145-150 and my 5 iron 175-180 with no real slice or hook on the range, maybe a slight draw at times. My 3 wood and driver need more work to keep it straight, but I can get those going 200/250 fairly easy usually. Swing speed is around 85-90 with irons on average, I don't think my regular swing will change that drastically for a while other than swing speed and ironing out my few remaining foibles (mainly relating with arm rotation through impact for my woods/driver).

My main issues with getting high scores boil down to two things - translating my range practice onto the course consistently (no point in being able to hit it well in practice if I can't do the same thing out on the course) and the short game.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Woohoo! A golf thread!

I play off 18 with a 15 year-old set of irons (less the 8-iron, which went missing) that I bought for £50.

Tried all sorts of putters, but have settled back on my grandfather's old wooden-shafted one - had it re-gripped last year and the local pros loved it. It works a treat.

For the short game I carry two odd clubs, a wedge and 8-iron from a ladies set - shorter and very whippy shafts with blades rather than cavity backs. Find they really help with the short touch shots.

Marvie_3

Banned
phisheep said:
Woohoo! A golf thread!

I play off 18 with a 15 year-old set of irons (less the 8-iron, which went missing) that I bought for £50.

Tried all sorts of putters, but have settled back on my grandfather's old wooden-shafted one - had it re-gripped last year and the local pros loved it. It works a treat.

For the short game I carry two odd clubs, a wedge and 8-iron from a ladies set - shorter and very whippy shafts with blades rather than cavity backs. Find they really help with the short touch shots.
I only carry odd numbered irons. With my game, there isn't a noticeable difference between my 5 and 6 irons, so I just leave the even numbered ones at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom