• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinobi Refle: Senran Kagura is a “pure and wholesome” title featuring only Asuka

Ahhh I see what you meant then. I mean, I'm not super surprised that the sales have plateaued for what the game is. I wonder if Takaki cares? It's got a pretty specific audience and he seems kind of content to continue serving them, did they really expect PBS to expand the user base given how much more lewd it is than previous entries?

Takaki probably does not care but Marvelous' higher ups weren't impressed at EV's performance back on 2015. They might've changed their tune after EV reported record profits for them with its localization though. However, the pressure from the higher ups is the main reason SK2 suffered so much.

SV sold abnormally high numbers due a lot of external factors (the anime was airing, Vita's drop in price off the top of my mind) working together in its favor. This created unrealistic expectations on the series, that SK2 failed to meet.

As for PBS, Takaki did mention multiple times during its promotion he was aiming to appeal to both fans of the series and causal players with the relatively simple gameplay, plus he was hyping the second shipment of the game. So yeah, he was definitely expecting a bigger turnout for the game.

Takaki probably does not care but Marvelous' higher ups weren't impressed at EV's performance back on 2015. They might've changed their tune after EV reported record profits for them with its localization though. However, the pressure from the higher ups is the main reason SK2 suffered so much.

SV sold abnormally high numbers due a lot of external factors (the anime was airing, Vita's drop in price off the top of my mind) working together in its favor. This created unrealistic expectations on the series, that SK2 failed to meet.

As for PBS, Takaki did mention multiple times during its promotion he was aiming to appeal to both fans of the series and causal players with the relatively simple gameplay, plus he was hyping the second shipment of the game. So yeah, he was definitely expecting a bigger turnout for the game.

Ah shit, that does sound kinda dire. I hope Takaki gets to keep making the games he wants to, how he wants to, but yeah I can see how other forces might get in the way of that. Very curious about SK7 now and whatever it winds up being, and why. Presumably they started working on it before PBS shipped so I can't imagine its sales would influence it at all, would they?

DKL

If this happens, I'm better off waiting for a definitive edition.

I can tell you right now... XSEED knows the tech.

EV didn't come with the DLC like the other PC releases and I ended up paying for it all, despite having some common sense.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Awesome, asuka is the best girl so it's obvious they would make a game featuring only her.

PsionBolt

After all these boring spinoffs diluting the series with boring newcomers, I think it's wonderful that Asuka's back on center stage. Ninety percent of the cast should be tossed down the drain permanently.

Mandelbo

The story will be charmingly stupid. You’ll be able to enjoy a different story than before.

Good. The story was easily the worst part of SV for me; hamfisted melodrama doesn't really work for me when the premise of the game was literally boob ninjas. It always felt jarring, as if the team who wrote the story and the team who made the game were at complete odds with each other.

Good. The story was easily the worst part of SV for me; hamfisted melodrama doesn't really work for me when the premise of the game was literally boob ninjas. It always felt jarring, as if the team who wrote the story and the team who made the game were at complete odds with each other.

The biggest problem is that they couldnt really find a balance. Like in Shinovi some girl talks about her parents being killed by other Ninjas, dramatic music and stuff and 1 minute later you have boob grabbing.

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/shinobi-...ome-title-featuring-asuka#sCsSGIP0jz4G2Dcw.99

7y2kTZG.jpg

The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu has a Takaki interview in it.

Highlights:

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201704/18131086.html
http://gamestalk.net/post-77885/

715.gif

Sales-wise the game has been driven into a wall. Is not expanding its fanbase at all, merely appealing to the same userbase that has been interested on the series since the start. PBS was supposed to change that and bring more exposure to the series but it dropped like a rock after release week.

So yeah, it might not be exactly on decline but isn't on an ideal place for what Takaki is billing as THE Marvelous franchise either.

But Senran Kagura is a dumb boob game with at best middling gameplay. Otaku centric games all have a pretty hard limit. It seems insane to expect unlimited growth from such a series.

Eh, the tonally inconsistent mess was the one thing I genuinely liked about Senran Kagura. Without that, it's just yet another boring boob game in a sea of indistinct clones. It was the foolhearted attempt to tell a dark story amidst all the fanservice that gave the series its unique character

Vlaphor

For me, the story was one of the best parts of Estival Versus. It was written far better than it needed to be and I have no problem with the fact that boob ninjas were having this serious story.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm not the most knowledgeable about this series, but not including the full roster seems like flushing money down the drain.

It's just a downloadable 'mini' game.

Yup, this is clearly a tech demo they are throwing together to get something out on Switch.

This. I wouldn't be expecting too much from this title at all beyond whatever novelty HD rumble thing they go with.

PBS was supposed to change that and bring more exposure to the series but it dropped like a rock after release week.

It probably would have done better had it not sucked.

Ah shit, that does sound kinda dire. I hope Takaki gets to keep making the games he wants to, how he wants to, but yeah I can see how other forces might get in the way of that. Very curious about SK7 now and whatever it winds up being, and why. Presumably they started working on it before PBS shipped so I can't imagine its sales would influence it at all, would they?

Hard to tell but I certainly hope they haven't started worked on it before PBS because Tamsoft has had too many plates on their table last year (PBS, 4GO, Drive Girls)

But Senran Kagura is a dumb boob game with at best middling gameplay. Otaku centric games all have a pretty hard limit. It seems insane to expect unlimited growth from such a series.

I know it, you know it. But Takaki believes it has the potential to become a AAA series and is pushing it like that.

This sounds like one of those "Vr experiences" without Vr.
And when Nintendo acts on that patent they have to dock the Switch into a headset, they'll make a sequel. I'd say they'd just do an update but it could be years before it comes out. But I'd think the closest thing ever to a sure thing would be this exact same game but in VR.

Hard to tell but I certainly hope they haven't started worked on it before PBS because Tamsoft has had too many plates on their table last year (PBS, 4GO, Drive Girls)

I know it, you know it. But Takaki believes it has the potential to become a AAA series and is pushing it like that.

This is purely speculation based on nothing of merit but, if they did start development of SK7 before completing PBS, it would not surprise me to find out that the reason PBS was lackluster was because most of the actual focus was on SK7 and PBS was just a fun stop-gap side project for the team. Much like I sincerely doubt any real development muscle is going into this Switch game.

That manga is an alternate telling of Burst's story that actually contradicts the plot of the games and is deemed non canon by Takaki. The only manga the games acknowledge is Spark! and even then is only SK2 that does.

On the games themselves Daidouji never shows any particular interest for Kiriya.

Top Bottom