• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Remaster Footage

TRios Zen

I will get this day one, because, well just because.
Some thoughts from the Spanish gameplay vid:

- looks like 4 player squads return; had gotten used to 5 player squads but not a big deal.
- TDM (15 respawns) made it's way in apparently, though this doesn't jive with 4 players (should be 12 respawns, no?).

Questions I have - grenade tagging? Two-Piecing? Weapon Sliding? The former was NOT in Gears 1 while the latter 2 were not in Gears 2 and beyond.

I guess in other words, bring this shit on, hopefully sooner rather than later.

OrangeOak

It doesn't at all because it turns into warzone when people run out of lives

It's just my opinion and for me it does.
I don't really feel that tension in TDM because I know that I will respawn when I die and pretty much most people are starting to play more carefully when their lives are depleted.
It also don't turn in warzone when one team have 4 last respawns and other have 10.
Even matches when at the end both teams have same respawn count aren't that common too. Besides everything before this point is just fluff for me. Why don't have tense match from the beggining.
It also completely changes gameplay. It's not that tight and tactical when you have people running all over the map due to changing respawn sides.
It is completely different experience for me.

JaggedSac

bbd3d46439eff80892665a2108bc0d81.png

Not sure if related.

Cool

- looks like 4 player squads return; had gotten used to 5 player squads but not a big deal.
- TDM (15 respawns) made it's way in apparently, though this doesn't jive with 4 players (should be 12 respawns, no?).

Questions I have - grenade tagging? Two-Piecing? Weapon Sliding? The former was NOT in Gears 1 while the latter 2 were not in Gears 2 and beyond.

4 player squads fits better with the smaller maps from Gears 1. But, we don't know which maps will be in. Hopefully it will be like MCC where all maps from all games are in. Would be sweet to have all maps from Gears 2 and 3 as well. Even if some maps might be too big for 4 player squads.

Perhaps it's just limited to 4vs4 in that particular version of the game or something? We have no idea how old the build is and what changes they will make.

Still, it will be very interesting to see what they bring in from Gears 2 and 3. At least I hope they bring the 8 way jumping from Gears 3. It sucks to go back to 4 directions after playing Gears 3.

Goddamn.

If the Gears 3 controls/mechanics are in, then MS have an Xbone purchase from me locked-the-eff in.

If not, then I don't know what else to say, MS: YA BLEW IT.

I'm curious about the pricing, since Microsoft's last remaster included 4 games at $60. It'd be a hard sell to price 1 game the same way.

Arcane0ne

The graphics are not surprising but Looks fine.

Gears 1 is the best,now i need an xbone haha.

I still playing gears 3 and judgment,can´t wait.

Goddamn.

If the Gears 3 controls/mechanics are in, then MS have an Xbone purchase from me locked-the-eff in.

If not, then I don't know what else to say, MS: YA BLEW IT.
It has to at least be Gears 3 mechanics. What a stupid step back it would be if they stuck with OG Gears 1 mechanics.

Raysod

Banned
Gears of War is one of my favorite last gen franchises and the move to 1080p 60fps is looking very good!

I can’t wait to play it again in its full HD remake form, what I think to be, the best third person multiplayer game out there… :D

bumpkin

Just watched the clips in the OP and yeah, it looks like Gears. I think what keeps it from being impressive is that, as others have said, GOW was already a damn good looking game for its time.

I played the shit out of Gears 1, 2, 3 and Judgment, but unless they include the PC-only mission we never got on 360, I don't think I'm gonna bite.

Hm so those leaked images are pretty much real, huh.

You can't really compare this to the MCC but more towards what halo anniversary was, as long as there is improved netcode (servers?) and the game is bug free I will really enjoy playing this game again even if it's just the original.

thelastword

Banned
Looks great! Can't wait to see more.

I really like how Microsoft makes remasters. Better lighting, textures, effects, sounds, 1080@60fps. That's what I call a remaster, not just higher resoultion and bumped up framerate like Sony. PS3 games themself look very good, but there's always room for improvements and Sony's attitude toward remasters is just ridiculous.
There's a difference between remasters and remaking all assets in the game. The anniversary overhaul in the MCC saw all textures and assets redone, but it's the only game that MS has done, so I don't know where you're coming with remasters (as in plural). Besides, the MCC is not 1080p especially the anniversary remakes and they're not 60fps either, as a matter of fact they fall far from 60fps consistently.

I can't seem to see the xbone shot of the remaster on my screen, I did play the original Gears on PC with the additional content, if it looks like an overhaul over that version, then I think that's a good thing, however, the xbone has a history of tumbling under a native 1080p game at 60fps, especially when the assets have been overhauled. I don't think this remaster will be native 1080p with a solid 60fps if that is the case.

Oh shit they want to get the announcement early I guess. Like they did with Horizon 2 last year.

They may as well with all the leaks now.

Have to say I am excited for this, me and my friends back in the college days when this was released in fall of 2006. We use to Rekt our opponents, looking forward to doing it again...well probably won't, I had a lot more time to play back then so pretty sure I am gonna be on the opposite end :(....but fuck it!

There's a difference between remasters and remaking all assets in the game. The anniversary overhaul in the MCC saw all textures and assets redone, but it's the only game that MS has done, so I don't know where you're coming with remasters (as in plural). Besides, the MCC is not 1080p especially the anniversary remakes and they're not 60fps either, as a matter of fact they fall far from 60fps consistently.

I can't seem to see the xbone shot of the remaster on my screen, I did play the original Gears on PC with the additional content, if it looks like an overhaul over that version, then I think that's a good thing, however, the xbone has a history of tumbling under a native 1080p game at 60fps, especially when the assets have been overhauled. I don't think this remaster will be native 1080p with a solid 60fps if that is the case.

Ms haven't released many remasters, I recall only Halo 1,2 and Fable, but they all got a complete face over, no?

TRios Zen

4 player squads fits better with the smaller maps from Gears 1. But, we don't know which maps will be in. Hopefully it will be like MCC where all maps from all games are in. Would be sweet to have all maps from Gears 2 and 3 as well. Even if some maps might be too big for 4 player squads.

Perhaps it's just limited to 4vs4 in that particular version of the game or something? We have no idea how old the build is and what changes they will make.

Still, it will be very interesting to see what they bring in from Gears 2 and 3. At least I hope they bring the 8 way jumping from Gears 3. It sucks to go back to 4 directions after playing Gears 3.

I'd be happy with Gears 3 controls, things just got smoother over the years you know? I also agree on maps, give them all to us.

Leave the sawed-off out though. As far as grenade tagging walls - I don't feel strongly about that one way or another.

Mr. Sunny

Banned
I don't remember Gears 1 having a proper team death match ( Gears 3 was the first) . If it's a new addition then I hope they add horde mode too (didn't come till 2).

trying to get a sense of game modes is pointless at this time. they're in developemnt and things will be changed back and forth a lot. when they go and test like this it's a balancing thing.

you also have the ability to set a large variety of settings anyway. we see 4v4 here but I guarantee you 5v5 is in the game too.

ezgif-1662587738.gif

Anyone else notice the way Marcus dodges the shot? Wonder if it's just because it's still beta.

that looked very off to me, probably an unfinished flinch animation.

Really was hoping to play Gears 3 MP again on my X1. I tried getting back into gears 1 MP, but it just felt too dated and had no variety like the other 2 imo...

Really was hoping to play Gears 3 MP again on my X1. I tried getting back into gears 1 MP, but it just felt too dated and had no variety like the other 2 imo...

I think this might be up your alley... I don't think we are getting a 1:1 copy of Gears multiplayer. Based on that screenshot we are getting a full upgraded multiplayer based on Gears of One which should include dedicated servers, a progression system and weapon unlocks...

Gears 1 wasn't great IMO but only because it had shitty net code and a wierd ranking/quick match system. The actual gameplay is some of the best.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Sorry haven't been following this,

is this a RE => REmake type situation
or a REmake => REmake HD type situation?

.la1n

Sorry haven't been following this,

is this a RE => REmake type situation
or a REmake => REmake HD type situation?

Neither really but closer to the second. It's not a completely redone engine but it's not just an up res port either. It has upgraded lighting and textures to go along with the resolution and fps boost.

thelastword

Banned
Ms haven't released many remasters, I recall only Halo 1,2 and Fable, but they all got a complete face over, no?
Well, that's my point, there are very few remasters on their end and it's mostly handled internally. On the other hand Sony has given outside studios the liberty of remastering their games in many instances. I don't think Fable anniversary is on the XBONE however.

The update they gave on the anniversary games were kinda necessary or else the games would look really bland with only a rez boost, the color palette and assets of the old halo games were already very dull and limited as it is. Contrast that with games like Jak, Sly Cooper and the original GOW, they still look good today so a bigger update in visuals was not necessary.

In any case I think the first legitimate remake coming from Sony will be the Ratchet and Clank game due from Insomniac or maybe this is more a reboot more than anything else.

On topic, I think they should redo all the gears games and have one multiplayer component across all the games, choose the best version of multiplayer across the series and the best (most popular maps) with it.

aember

If this remaster gets Wingman or a 2v2 mode then I'll be buying an Xbone the moment I'll be able to afford it.

Execution and stuff is fun and all, but when I met this one guy by accident with whom, after we got into this special groove without voice chat, my wingman w/l went from ~.85 to a full 7 = that gamemode became my drug, I don't even want anything else!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Neither really but closer to the second. It's not a completely redone engine but it's not just an up res port either. It has upgraded lighting and textures to go along with the resolution and fps boost.

That will do nicely so. Remasters don't bother me as long as they are not at the expense of another game (which has never been proven to have happened IIRC?)

Top Bottom