• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

I went on a date with a girl from OKC tonight. Went EXTREMELY well. Cross posting from Dating-Age:

Hylian7 said:
Just got back. Holy shit everything went better than expected!

I was kind of worried, I went into the restaurant at the time we scheduled, and she wasn't there yet. About 5 minutes after she texted me saying she was on her way. 5 minutes later she got there. Dear god, she was even more gorgeous than her pics on OKC looked.

I gave her a hug, we asked for a table and sat down and waited. We started talking about our days, things like that. We got a table sometime in there, and just kept talking the whole time. It went on for 2 and a half hours! Topics went from anything to everything, although I think I sort of had a problem bringing up subjects, because I was avoiding talking about my ex at all, and some things I wanted to say in my head involved her, so they were a no-go.

I learned that she's really shy about approaching people, which is why she got on OKC in the first place. She really came out of her shell when she was talking to me though.

We had to leave because she noticed her phone vibrated (apparently it had been vibrating the whole time, but she didn't notice til then), and her roommate's dog escaped and she had to go help get it back in. She said it was nice meeting me though, and she was interested in another date!

Fuck yeah!

Just found someone who was a 99% match. Hope we're able to communicate.

By the way, this is my personality test so far

20120307-bxn6qr9bd25fcxwxcwc95jagmr.jpg

DR3AM

this girl messaged me a few days ago and we talked ever since. we are a 91% match and her profile is basically the same as mine ( same major, interest, hobbies etc) but she doesn't have a profile pic. i asked if she had a pic she said no, i asked her if she had FB she said no. her "details" section is empty. wtf

this girl messaged me a few days ago and we talked ever since. we are a 91% match and her profile is basically the same as mine ( same major, interest, hobbies etc) but she doesn't have a profile pic. i asked if she had a pic she said no, i asked her if she had FB she said no. her "details" section is empty. wtf

Yeah, when a girl messages me without a picture, that's an automatic ignore. Don't care if we have a 100% match rate and a super similar profile (if that was the case, I would be creeped out and concern I had a stalker).

plasmasd

Don't worry, you're in the 2012 social media remake of Primer.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

could be getting fucked with, could not.

send a dick pic.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
It's pretty fucking scary how many people put yes to the question about preferring their own race. I mean it's mostly white chicks and I'm white, but still a huge turn off and I'd rather not be around people like that.

Edit: What is a good score on that website, Pilgor?

Pilgor

It's pretty fucking scary how many people put yes to the question about preferring their own race. I mean it's mostly white chicks and I'm white, but still a huge turn off and I'd rather not be around people like that.

Edit: What is a good score on that website, Pilgor?

Isn't the question about preferred race for having children?

And I don't know what's a good score, but it does go up to 10,000.

Someone in the other thread said it was innaccurate. I looked myself up and only had one star....

The only thing is this doesn't take into account how many people rated you though. For all I know that could only be one person, or the entire Earth female population.

Well it's accurate as to what your average score is I guess, even if unfortunately only one person rated you a one. It can only go up!

Isn't the question about preferred race for having children?

And I don't know what's a good score, but it does go up to 10,000.

Well it's accurate as to what your average score is I guess, even if unfortunately only one person rated you a one. It can only go up!

http://www.heyimalex.com/okattractive/

Someone linked that in the other thread. You can see your star rating, pretty neat.

Someone in the other thread said it was innaccurate. I looked myself up and only had one star....

The only thing is this doesn't take into account how many people rated you though. For all I know that could only be one person, or the entire Earth female population.

What is this based on exactly? I thought the site notified people you rated (stars)? What is the barometer of this though? It shows that I have one star but also cites a three digit number.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm on OKC, and I'd say it has been overall pretty good so far. I've been on about 20 dates since I've joined, and I've actually ended up sleeping with 6 of them, though not all on the first date. Whoever mentioned that the site caters to the hook-up crowd definitely seems to be right.

Of course, I do send out many messages and most do not get replies. Also many women will read my message, look at my profile, and still not reply. It's normal. I get about 35-40 visitors a week, though I probably checked out half of them first.

The guy who said don't post pics at your computer is right. Pictures doing something fun, or with people are best, so it looks like you're a fun person to be around. Also, don't list Pokemon, video games, or things that most people deem to be nerdy, unless you only want a girl likes those things too.

When messaging a girl I try to think of what everyone else probably says, and try to be unique. I guarantee every girl gets messages about the music or movies she likes, with guys saying they like it too. She doesn't care, and it's not going to get you anywhere. Find a detail in her name, in her summary, anything you think most people won't notice, and just make a one liner about it. It usually works.

I see people say to get a phone number as soon as you can. Be careful. Ask too early, and the girl will get scared. However, too many "how was your night" messages, and back and forth conversations are stupid. In the second message ask where they live in the city. Third message suggest meeting up for a drink. The number follows naturally.

It all comes down to how often you use the site. If I am not active, I hardly get any visits or messages. You have to be diligent, and just keep trying.

You have described my experience with a dating website and I live in another country. It just shows how people aren't that really different.

Darklord

Banned
1 star...

Probably cause I had kind of a shitty picture too for a while too. Couldn't you technically make some fake accounts and up vote yourself? Or just delete it and remake a new account?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well I've gotten two messages after I made some kickass solid openers. Here's hoping for good things. Still, I'll be sure to not get ahead of myself.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
so this chick put me on her "Favorites" list and allowed the site to tell me that she did so. I know this little technique was to coax me into messaging her going "OMG THANKS FOR THAT"...

not gunna do it.

and I expect all of you not to stoop to her measures. Be better than that.

Hylian7

so this chick put me on her "Favorites" list and allowed the site to tell me that she did so. I know this little technique was to coax me into messaging her going "OMG THANKS FOR THAT"...

not gunna do it.

and I expect all of you not to stoop to her measures. Be better than that.

I'm guessing she wasn't hot/interesting at all?

Darklord

Banned
One thing I really hate on OKC is how many of the matches are old profiles. Why bother even showing a person if they haven't been on since September?

I got someone to come back on after a two month hiatus. They do receive an email when someone messages them, so it's not like they have to be on okcupid all the time to know if they're being contacted.

I got someone to come back on after a two month hiatus. They do receive an email when someone messages them, so it's not like they have to be on okcupid all the time to know if they're being contacted.
Yup. I stopped using it ages ago, but I still open the notification emails, and I'll pop back in to respond(with a polite rejection) to messages that are particularly nice/thought-out.

I was supposed to have a date today with a girl from OKC, but she texted me saying the pipes in her house were leaking, so we'd need to reschedule.

I honestly don't know whether to believe her, as it seems like I'm putting in all the effort, and she's not reciprocating much at all. Twice now I've went ages without hearing from her, which prompted me to send her messages each time that basically came down to "are you still interested?". She assured me both times she was, and gave me her phone number the first time, as it's a better way of contacting her, but even when I do text her, she often doesn't reply.

She said that her life is super busy at the moment, and I do believe her there, but I'm getting tired of putting so much effort in and seeing next to little in return. Surely the occasional text wouldn't be too hard? She's still yet to send me the first one; it's only been replies. But at the same time, she's a fantastic person with not only the same interests, but also exactly the same career goals and aspirations as me. If she were just some random cute girl, I'd have given up on her by now, but I do really like her for who she is, and I can't remember the last time I spoke to somebody I relate to so well; even friends. We've had one super-long conversation on Steam that lasted a couple of hours, which went really well.

I don't know how or even if I should properly address this to her; I really want to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she's just nervous (she said she's only ever been on two dates before, and said that the thought of going on dates in general makes her nervous), and maybe that's why she flaked today, but I don't know. I've only ever been on one date myself, so it's not as if I'm not nervous.

I'm getting quite irritated, but I like her too much to just cast her aside. And I feel like if I say something, it will come out wrong.

Oh yeah, and I move house in about a month or so. We currently live an hour's drive apart (she doesn't drive, but I do), but afterwards, it'll be three hours. I really wanted to get the ball rolling before then, as if things go welll, I'll know it would be worth it.

Sarye

I was supposed to have a date today with a girl from OKC, but she texted me saying the pipes in her house were leaking, so we'd need to reschedule.

I honestly don't know whether to believe her, as it seems like I'm putting in all the effort, and she's not reciprocating much at all. Twice now I've went ages without hearing from her, which prompted me to send her messages each time that basically came down to "are you still interested?". She assured me both times she was, and gave me her phone number the first time, as it's a better way of contacting her, but even when I do text her, she often doesn't reply.

She said that her life is super busy at the moment, and I do believe her there, but I'm getting tired of putting so much effort in and seeing next to little in return. Surely the occasional text wouldn't be too hard? She's still yet to send me the first one; it's only been replies. But at the same time, she's a fantastic person with not only the same interests, but also exactly the same career goals and aspirations as me. If she were just some random cute girl, I'd have given up on her by now, but I do really like her for who she is, and I can't remember the last time I spoke to somebody I relate to so well; even friends. We've had one super-long conversation on Steam that lasted a couple of hours, which went really well.

I don't know how or even if I should properly address this to her; I really want to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she's just nervous (she said she's only ever been on two dates before, and said that the thought of going on dates in general makes her nervous), and maybe that's why she flaked today, but I don't know. I've only ever been on one date myself, so it's not as if I'm not nervous.

I'm getting quite irritated, but I like her too much to just cast her aside. And I feel like if I say something, it will come out wrong.

Oh yeah, and I move house in about a month or so. We currently live an hour's drive apart (she doesn't drive, but I do), but afterwards, it'll be three hours. I really wanted to get the ball rolling before then, as if things go welll, I'll know it would be worth it.

Here's the thing. If she was into you, even if she WAS busy, she would still make time for you in some way. Whether it's texting you, msging you first online or not flaking at all. I know we like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but in this case it seems clear to me.

Just think about what you would do in her situation and that should be the answer you need. I know for me, if I have a date, nothing is going to stop me from going to that date save for my house burning down.

She may be slightly interested, or she may have been interested in the past and not anymore, or she could have just felt bad and said she was interested... whatever the case it may be, just stop contacting her.

She'll msg you if she truly is interested.

At the point where you've sent an "are you still interested?" message, you've already lost. Time to move on, and try to be less needy next time.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"

It's a wrap my man. No matter how busy one is, they can take time out their day to text or call to see how you are doing. Move on.

At the point where you've sent an "are you still interested?" message, you've already lost. Time to move on, and try to be less needy next time.
I think you're too quick to judge. Generally speaking, yes, that kind of message is a bad move, but there are exceptions to every rule. That "are you still interested?" message got him her number.
http://i.imgur.com/FeBbn.jpg[IMG]

from my twitter feed

is it really like that?[/QUOTE]If only. Terrible grammar and some questionable word choice aside, that's an awesome intro. The subversion at the end sells it.

Following on from my post just above, I sent her a text earlier asking if she could meet up on Wednesday or Thursday. She just replied back saying she's not sure at the moment, as her pregnant friend is 2 days late (she told me that her friend was due March 6th back at the beginning of February, so I don't doubt her there). I replied back saying that since she's often busy, I'd leave it to her to let me know when/if she wants to arrange something, and contact me.

I won't contact her again for a fair while, and see what happens.

Of course someone with one star would say this...

Following on from my post just above, I sent her a text earlier asking if she could meet up on Wednesday or Thursday. She just replied back saying she's not sure at the moment, as her pregnant friend is 2 days late (she told me that her friend was due March 6th back at the beginning of February, so I don't doubt her there). I replied back saying that since she's often busy, I'd leave it to her to let me know when/if she wants to arrange something, and contact me.

Dude, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She's making up excuses, and isn't interested in you.

Wrekt

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. I wouldn't date an obese woman but that doesn't mean I hate all fat people. I wouldn't rule someone out till you find out the whole story.

Sarye

Definitely an excuse. Just don't contact her again ever. Even IF her story is true, she would have made plans with you with the caveat that she might have to cancel because of situation highlighted above. And even then I would be a little skeptical. She really is just too afraid to say no.

Surface of Me said:
That's your answer right there. I know a lot of asian guys and girls that would prefer to date someone their own race. And it's not a racist thing.. but a lot of it have to do with culture. I see it as the same as people of the same religion not wanting to date outside of their faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom