• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The_Dude said:
Is the part on the White Boa the stealth section people complain about? The one that some reviews made me really worried about, yet which I did on my first try without any problems?
Yep.

The_Dude

That's all it was? I mean, sure, I could've done without it, but it was so straightforward and short. I was expecting to fail and have to repeat multiple sections, but it seemed hardly even worth mentioning to me.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
The_Dude said:
That's all it was? I mean, sure, I could've done without it, but it was so straightforward and short. I was expecting to fail and have to repeat multiple sections, but it seemed hardly even worth mentioning to me.
Once I understood that in the second part I didn't have at all to go to the heavily guarded areas it became very easy. Before that I thought it was it for this game.

The_Dude

Blimblim said:
Once I understood that in the second part I didn't have at all to go to the heavily guarded areas it became very easy. Before that I thought it was it for this game.
Right, I can see how it could be annoying in that case. I must admit, I went back later to make sure I hadn't missed any treasure chests where those eyeballs were patrolling in that second part!

masterkajo

Finally got the game today and played about 3 hours... and so far I am really impressed!
I didn´t believe people when they said the dream sequences are THAT good just because I normally don´t like to read on my TV, but they are done in such a perfect way that I can´t get enough of them (found 3 so far).

So that brought up a question I hope someone can answer. Since I found 3 dreams so far and they don´t appear right next to each other in the selection screen but have some gaps in between I was wondering if you find every dream by just playing through the main story or do I have to look really hard to find all? (I really want to read them all!)
And if so, are there some special things I have to pay attetion to or is there no clue until you discovered the dream itself?

Takuhi

masterkajo said:
So that brought up a question I hope someone can answer. Since I found 3 dreams so far and they don´t appear right next to each other in the selection screen but have some gaps in between I was wondering if you find every dream by just playing through the main story or do I have to look really hard to find all? (I really want to read them all!)
And if so, are there some special things I have to pay attetion to or is there no clue until you discovered the dream itself?

They are all in the main story, although they aren't all obvious to find. If you get each one the second it becomes available, you'll end up getting them in order (roughly) so if you have gaps in your list it does indeed mean you've missed some. You can always get them, though—if an area is blocked off, it will get unblocked later, so you can never permanently miss them.

I can guess exactly which ones you missed—
There are three in Uhra's tavern, but you need to leave and re-enter to get each one. Also when you leave Uhra, take the monorail, not a cab, or you'll likely miss another at the station.

Orodreth

masterkajo said:

I´m about 15 hours in and i have missed some already from the very begining. I suposse the ones Takuhi has talked about that must be in some other sections in Uhra City.

The dreams sometimes are automatically triggered when you walk through some place, others you have to talk to some people or maybe use/take some object from the scenery.

Zzoram

Agent Icebeezy said:
THey have pushed this a lot on ESPN today. I'm impressed with their ad spending on this.

It's the closest thing to Final Fantasy this generation has seen, that's bound to raise a few eyebrows. It's not in the same league, but it's supposed to be a reasonable well made Final Fantasy wannabe JRPG, and people didn't mind buying Saint's Row.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Takuhi said:
They are all in the main story, although they aren't all obvious to find. If you get each one the second it becomes available, you'll end up getting them in order (roughly) so if you have gaps in your list it does indeed mean you've missed some. You can always get them, though—if an area is blocked off, it will get unblocked later, so you can never permanently miss them.

I can guess exactly which ones you missed—
There are three in Uhra's tavern, but you need to leave and re-enter to get each one. Also when you leave Uhra, take the monorail, not a cab, or you'll likely miss another at the station.
Actually there are a lot of dreams you will unlock by going back to previously explored cities. As far as I can tell going back to a lot of places is totally optional, so if you only follow the main story you are going to miss quite a few as far as I can tell.
Thankfully the optional stuff in LO is really nice :)

MCD

Blim
othyzq.gif
othyzq.gif
othyzq.gif

Durante

The_Dude said:
Is the part on the White Boa the stealth section people complain about? The one that some reviews made me really worried about, yet which I did on my first try without any problems?
Good thing I don't read reviews. I also did that on my first try.

I'm now slightly over 23 hours in. I don't want to write a long sermon about it again, but my ultra-condensed verdict so far is this: Good game (though not spectacular), buy it.

I'm about 9 hours in, and loving it. Lots of nostalgia throughout the game from older FF games, especially in the music :)

I got through about 27 hours of Blue Dragon and then forgot about it (I'll finish it someday), the story didnt really amount to much but Lost Odyssey is a different story.

u_neek

APZonerunner said:
I am seriously of the opinion that this is one of the greatest RPGs I've ever played after FF9 and FF6.
*cums*
I'm sure LO will be my FFXII - that game dissappointed me so much.

Agent Icebeezy said:
THey have pushed this a lot on ESPN today. I'm impressed with their ad spending on this.
Not to mention the ad is really good. Another standard "music that has nothing to do with the game making it seem infinitely cooler than it probably is" thing.

u_neek said:
*cums*
I'm sure LO will be my FFXII - that game dissappointed me so much.

We might be alike in this respect. I had problems with both FF10 and FF12 for the same reason but different - FF12 had a fantastic, wonderful universe and fleshed out world, and FF10 had fantastic characters and character development, but in 12 the characters (save Balthier) bored me really and in 10 the universe was just boring especially when stood next to the worlds of the last 3 or 4 games.

Lost Odyssey has both down great, even if both aren't perfect. I'd rather have both great than one perfect and the other dead completely.

That's just story-wise. I love both 12 and 10 and Lost Odyssey as far as gameplay goes. I must say I do prefer Lost Odyssey's system the most out of these three, though. Where it sits next to 6, 7 and 9 though is debatable. Will have to finish it more than once to decide that..

How the hell do you beat that bloody first boss (
the big griffin/bird-thing on the mountain peak
)?! It's ridiculously tough for a first boss encounter and has owned my ass 5 times now, before I got frustrated and turned it off! :lol

masterkajo

Played some more and got some more questions:
- What are seeds for? (for the bunny?)
- How do I get more slot seeds?
- Currently, I am at the stealth part and have some problems. Any suggestions? Do I miss some good stuff if I do not search every part?

Thanks!

Blimblim

The Inside Track
masterkajo said:
Played some more and got some more questions:
- What are seeds for? (for the bunny?)
- How do I get more slot seeds?
- Currently, I am at the stealth part and have some problems. Any suggestions? Do I miss some good stuff if I do not search every part?

Thanks!
Yes
Keep playing :)
I don't think you are going to miss much.

Walshicus

tracky_dacks said:
How the hell do you beat that bloody first boss (
the big griffin/bird-thing on the mountain peak
)?! It's ridiculously tough for a first boss encounter and has owned my ass 5 times now, before I got frustrated and turned it off! :lol
Elemental magic? It's an wind element isn't it? Attack it with fire through Seth and Jansen, with Kaim defending?

Fire>Wind>Earth>Water>Fire

Orodreth

My toughtest encounter by far has been
the mounted knights and soldiers at numara when you meet Mackt & Cooke
. I failed like 3 times. And the previous two bosses were rather easy compared to that.

Blimblim said:
Yes
Keep playing :)
I don't think you are going to miss much.

Now that you´re talking about it i got confused with the slot seeds. Havent played since sunday but i got this idea of them having something to do with granting your inmortal characters more skill slots and thats not right, is it?

masterkajo

Orodreth said:
Now that you´re talking about it i got confused with the slot seeds. Havent played since sunday but i got this idea of them having something to do with granting your inmortal characters more skill slots and thats not right, is it?
Actually, as far as I can tell it is true. Just don't mix the slot seed up with the seeds you feed the bunny...

Finally got my computer back and it is working again (wrote the other stuff above using my Wii)... stupid power supply died on me last weekend.

I have played 12 hours (got a week of vacation therefore have the time...) and just happend to collect 10 white flowers. I actually cried a little... which would not have happend if it weren't for Uematsu.

So far this game surpassed my expectations to an extend I couldn't have thought off! It is really one of the best RPGs I played (and I did play almost all FF!).
I like the story, the characters, the dreams, the voice acting, the gameplay and especially the music!!
So, great game so far! I am really tired now though (collecting all those flowers and tree branches) and have to get some water to refill my tears...

BTW, is it just me or does the queen have some - well, how do I put it - "queen-inappropriate" outfit? :D

Orodreth

masterkajo said:
Actually, as far as I can tell it is true. Just don't mix the slot seed up with the seeds you feed the bunny...

i think i gave some seeds to the bunny 2 times already. Did i lost the slot seeds also or are they separated?

And the funeral scene is indeed beautiful.

masterkajo said:
BTW, is it just me or does the queen have some - well, how do I put it - "queen-inappropriate" outfit? :D

As far as main characters, is the least natural outfit to me. I love the design of everyone else, and specially that the costumes design does look realistic.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Orodreth said:
i think i gave some seeds to the bunny 2 times already. Did i lost the slot seeds also or are they separated?
Seeds and slot seeds are totally different things. Seeds are for the bunny-like creature, and slot seeds add another skill slot to one of your immortals.
Orodreth said:
My toughtest encounter by far has been
the mounted knights and soldiers at numara when you meet Mackt & Cooke
. I failed like 3 times. And the previous two bosses were rather easy compared to that.
Same for me. But since it was with the Japanese version I did not understand how to skip a cutscene, so I had to endure this looooooooong scene 4 times. Nightmare.

Orodreth

Blimblim said:
Seeds and slot seeds are totally different things. Seeds are for the bunny-like creature, and slot seeds add another skill slot to one of your immortals.

And where are the slot seeds in the inventory? couldnt find them last time i looked for them (that´s why i thought i gave them to the bunny). How do you use them on characters? And are there plenty of them through the game?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Orodreth said:
And where are the slot seeds in the inventory? couldnt find them last time i looked for them (that´s why i thought i gave them to the bunny). How do you use them on characters? And are there plenty of them through the game?
They are in your global inventory. Select them, then select the immortal to use it on.
And yes, there are a lot throughout the game. I'm still at the beginning of DVD4 and kaim/seth have 8 slots, while Sarah and Ming have 6. So I found 12 slot seeds so far.

Orodreth

Blimblim said:
They are in your global inventory. Select them, then select the immortal to use it on.
And yes, there are a lot throughout the game. I'm still at the beginning of DVD4 and kaim/seth have 8 slots, while Sarah and Ming have 6. So I found 12 slot seeds so far.

Ok, thanks, i´ll check that out next time.

The_Dude

Sir Fragula said:
Fire>Wind>Earth>Water>Fire
That reminds me, am I the only
possibly stupid
person who has trouble remembering this? I think I'm so used to Fire being good against Water and vice versa, and Earth being good against Wind and vice versa, that this is giving me some problems keeping Lost Odyssey's system in mind.

chico

The_Dude said:
possibly stupid
person who has trouble remembering this? I think I'm so used to Fire being good against Water and vice versa, and Earth being good against Wind and vice versa, that this is giving me some problems keeping Lost Odyssey's system in mind.

fire needs oxygen, so fire being good against wind is logical... water would make no sense!

to be honest
at the beginning i had to wrote it down to remember it :D

Walshicus

The_Dude said:
possibly stupid
Why do you think I wrote it down here? I can barely remember it and I'm on disc 4!

Oh, reminds me - the hardest fights so far have been firstly, the one in D4 where you fight the
five Athrosaurus that are attacking Numara, but you can only engage one at a time so you have to put some of them to sleep before moving on and... argh!
Second would be
the fight in D4 with General "mine is the only poor dialogue in the game" Kakanakakanasakan - I got by that fucker with Kaim's huge defence and absorb skills, Sarah's reanimation and the rest of the party's death. Haaaard.

To be fair though, getting the
White Boa as your new boat, with the Nautilus nested inside it and a shop of its own, was pretty cool recompense!

The_Dude

chico said:
fire needs oxygen, so fire being good against wind is logical... water would make no sense!

to be honest
at the beginning i had to wrote it down to remember it :D
Sir Fragula said:
Why do you think I wrote it down here? I can barely remember it and I'm on disc 4!
Glad to know I'm not the only one :lol I thought of writing it down, too!

Walshicus

Heh :lol
To be fair to the 'Gooch it does make more sense than the standard system, it's just we're all weak mortals who aren't used to change.

watkinzez

Man, Jansen is my favourite RPG character in a long time. (Disc 1)
When Mack is possessed by the forest spirit, he makes a passing comment about puberty.
:lol

Walshicus

watkinzez said:
Man, Jansen is my favourite RPG character in a long time. (Disc 1)
When Mack is possessed by the forest spirit, he makes a passing comment about puberty.
:lol

Seth: You heard the man.
Jansen: No I didn't!

Top Bottom