• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I think you're right but as I'm running around the camera is just too far back and when fighting enemies in an open area the camera turns into an almost sky camera lol.

You have to play with the screen fixer. I'm on a 1920x1080 and i put my settings to
FOV:170
resolution: 7736x1080

This made things looks just right for me. When you are messing around with it, leave the FOV alone and tweak the resolution. I noticed the higher I put it the closer my guy got to the screen. 7736 worked for me.

LiK

After 25 hours I'm finally going to the Plains... much nicer to travel around than the first region.

you're in for a treat. one of my fave areas. there are more areas to discover that look nothing like the earlier levels. pretty refreshing.

1stStrike

Banned
Game has been out for about 2 weeks now...I think it would be nice if the developer would step in and fix this for those that need it fixed. Or at minimum let us know what a good setting would be that does not make the game look all jacked up.

Unlike most PC games that are ported "properly" a FOV setting would should have been included...Alan Wake which was a 360 game that came out over 2 years ago and just got a PC release last week has a FOV as well as "basic" PC options that Reckoning simply does not have. I realize not all console to pc ports are the same, but some basic things that are considered "basic" for PC games is lacking in this game.

You must have skipped the entire section of this thread where this was talked about.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=34726204&highlight=#post34726204

And

http://www.38watch.com/forums/showthread.php?2294-Camera-System

I have 12.4 GB of free space on my hard drive but when I go to download Kingdoms of Amalur off steam it says I only have 12,000 MB disk space available when I need 15,835 MB.

What am I missing here? Can anyone shoot me in the right direction?

Grinchy

Banned
As far as I know, FOV isn't an actual option in most pc RPGs (can't comment on other genres). Generally, the only reason you have access to that option is because you can manually go in and edit an .ini file, but Amalur apparently doesn't use the typical .ini file so that isn't an option here.

I kinda feel like the game was made with the intention that the player would always have the camera close and pointed slightly downwards. If you look up in many areas, you'll see some "less than developed" scenery that you'd never notice at the normal camera angle and proximity to the player. It's almost like it was made this way on purpose for some kind of performance benefit. I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but it's something I feel is true.

This is not a complaint, mind you. Just an observation of one of the funkiest camera systems I've seen in a while. It works perfectly fine for me, but if anyone thinks about it, look up at some of the higher scenery next time you play.

Is this ever a good excuse for anything? Almost everyone else is juvenile and laughable, so we shouldn't try to be any better!

The spell effects look awesome, but battles with a high level Sorcery user end in less than 10 seconds. Meteor -> Tempest -> move on to the next battle.

its not in poor taste, believe it or not some women ENJOY dressing sexy, its not like ALL the women are dressed like that in the game, if you want a game with your personal perfect world ideal of women who collectively dismiss sexuality.. make it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does the game punish you for mixing and matching skill trees? I started with Finess, but found an awesome Greatsword/Staff combo that I've started pumping points into. The destiny tree seems to encourage it.

vaelic

Banned
You have to play with the screen fixer. I'm on a 1920x1080 and i put my settings to
FOV:170
resolution: 7736x1080

This made things looks just right for me. When you are messing around with it, leave the FOV alone and tweak the resolution. I noticed the higher I put it the closer my guy got to the screen. 7736 worked for me.
do i have to keep exiting game each time I tweak?

LiK

Does the game punish you for mixing and matching skill trees? I started with Finess, but found an awesome Greatsword/Staff combo that I've started pumping points into. The destiny tree seems to encourage it.

nah, none of the missions really screw you over if you're one class or another. you can also respec at anytime with Fateweavers so if you wanna switch for a weapon or armor, you can. i haven't respeced at all and was able to complete all the faction quests without issues as a Mage/Might gal. i like sticking with what i chose as i'm playing. maybe i'll respec after i finish the main quest.

Haunted

You can respec any time you like for a pittance, so no. Even that aside, the game doesn't punish you for anything anyway. If you have any experience min/maxing stuff in previous RPGs or if you put points into blacksmithing or crafting you'll break the game's balance while you're still in the first area.

On the positive side that means that everything is viable and you can just go whichever way you like.

AwRy108

I'm about 35 hours into this and still loving it (thanks to any GAF'ers who suggested it be played on Hard difficulty), but the UI--namely the bars on the upper-left--nearly ruined my Panny Plasma, so I've had to move to my older, inferior Bravia.

Hope the inevitable patch allows the UI to dim when it's not in use b/c I really want to play this game on my gorgeous plasma set again...

LiK

I'm about 35 hours into this and still loving it (thanks to any GAF'ers who suggested it be played on Hard difficulty), but the UI--namely the bars on the upper-left--nearly ruined my Panny Plasma, so I've had to move to my older, inferior Bravia.

Hope the inevitable patch allows the UI to dim when it's not in use b/c I really want to play this game on my gorgeous plasma set again...

i play on Panny Plasma and it's not so much an issue. whenever you talk to NPCs, the life/mana bars go away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh nice, I'm like eight hours in and haven't met a respec person. Cool.

nonnocere

The third level might/finesse/sorcery level - Scout? - gives you +1 in all skills (mercantile, detect hidden, et al.) The sixth level gives you +3? which is pretty great, but each class has its perks.

Kem0sabe

its not in poor taste, believe it or not some women ENJOY dressing sexy, its not like ALL the women are dressed like that in the game, if you want a game with your personal perfect world ideal of women who collectively dismiss sexuality.. make it.

I would imagine the all dancing, all cavorting, all sexy women clone armies of amalur, in all their leather thong awesomeness would agree with you.

Nista

I would imagine the all dancing, all cavorting, all sexy women clone armies of amalur, in all their leather thong awesomeness would agree with you.

Even playing a female Dokkalfar character, I find their clothing choices a bit odd. Then again my prismere plate armor has cleavage... sigh

It's even more creepy when there's Alfar mother/old lady characters who look like something out of a Vegas showgirl review. They really need to improve NPC (and PC) model variation in the sequel.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an easy way to get from the map to the quest screen?

I'd really like to be able to scroll through quests on the map screen to see where everything is relative to me. Or, hell, see all of my quest markers at once. Can I do that? It would seem like a massive oversight if I can't.

Haunted

Is there an easy way to get from the map to the quest screen?

I'd really like to be able to scroll through quests on the map screen to see where everything is relative to me. Or, hell, see all of my quest markers at once. Can I do that? It would seem like a massive oversight if I can't.
You can only see all of your quest markers at once on the local maps, only the active quest will show on the world map.

Yes, it's a big UI oversight. There's a good number of clumsy UI mistakes in this game. The whole menu setup with its expanding categories and nested sub menus (it takes what, like 5+ clicks to get to my weapons?) is pretty bad.

Trigunner

It's even more creepy when there's Alfar mother/old lady characters who look like something out of a Vegas showgirl review. They really need to improve NPC (and PC) model variation in the sequel.

I'm more bothered that the moms look the same age or younger than their sons. Some unique/old people models would've been nice, instead of everyone being made from the character creator.

Haunted

I'm more bothered that the moms look the same age or younger than their sons. Some unique/old people models would've been nice, instead of everyone being made from the character creator.
As much work and effort went into creating the environments (which are clearly the stylistic and technical high point of the game), the actual human models of 99% of NPCs are really bland. Feels like I'm playing a fantasy variant of In Time, where everyone is 25 forever. :p

rukland

40 hours in to this game and I enjoy the combat and the loot. But really at this point I hate to say it but I think there are too many quests.

Here are the mystery chests:

Gorhart
kcneP.jpg

Klurikon
nKLGY.jpg

Here's some of my armor sets; the first three are complete, the rest are missing a piece.

Kerrod's
vc2Dt.jpg

Bolgans Bane
2jL99.jpg

Tuatha
FzF92.jpg

Eagonn
ok28y.jpg

Crucible
4mdCf.jpg

Gaea
8nJUn.jpg

Some of my favorite weapons:

7SYhN.jpg
dzDQP.jpg

5w2LH.jpg
2oLoA.jpg

And a ridiculous piece of armor:
CSamn.jpg

Made my way to Mel Senshir and found some Dreadscale Armour for the low price of 50K gold. It even has an epic slot!

Fitted it with +1 to Finesse, +30% Armour, +2 Mana Regen per sec and +7% critical hit chance. You can get by just fine without Blacksmithing by buying/finding armor with slots or using uniques.

Quite like this look, I think I'll stick with it

jb0dW5jyM7GylX.png

AwRy108

i play on Panny Plasma and it's not so much an issue. whenever you talk to NPCs, the life/mana bars go away.

I was under the same impression; but, at 36 hours into the game--which includes a number of 3+ hr. play sessions--the image retention from the UI has become extremely bad. I've run hours of a combination of the screen wiper and the music visualizer, and the image still isn't completely gone. Not good.

I don't recall meeting Swanwhite in my playthrough, where is she located ?
Part of the House of Valor faction DLC quest, which is only accessible if you downloaded it through the online pass thing.

The actual place is that arena-looking thing out in Detyre. The entrance is on the west side.

LiK

I was under the same impression; but, at 36 hours into the game--which includes a number of 3+ hr. play sessions--the image retention from the UI has become extremely bad. I've run hours of a combination of the screen wiper and the music visualizer, and the image still isn't completely gone. Not good.

I'm at like 55 hours and played for much longer than that in each session and I don't see anything that sticks out. Not too worried about it on my end.

I admit I wish the UI can change transparency cuz it ruins the exploration when they stick out like that. They should go away if we're not in combat.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wait..... the game claims Greatswords are the slowest of them all but at the picture above it clearly states that Greatsword is slow while Hammer is very slow..............?

I'm gonna try full might for my next playthrough in hard difficulty and no blacksmithing. Let's see if it's going to be more enjoyable or not. Gonna miss the Faeblades and Chakrams, though....

Also, gonna make a female character.
Although the hero is a he before he died... so isn't it weird if suddenly he becomes a woman or something? or the game changes your gender on the backstory for your hero if you are playing as a female character?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Part of the House of Valor faction DLC quest, which is only accessible if you downloaded it through the online pass thing.

The actual place is that arena-looking thing out in Detyre. The entrance is on the west side.

I found that place later in the game. I cannot believe that is paid DLC for those that did not buy the game new.

Jaeyden

Loving this game. Broke a quest though so beware. In Ysa you can get a quest to kill someone and retrieve some daggers. I pickpocketed the quest item off the mark and then assassinated it, but the quest was expecting me to loot the body, so it never registered that I had the quest item needed. If you get this quest remember to kill then loot the mark. I lost about a hour of play. Awesome game, real nice 'WoW' fix for anyone that hasn't played in a long time.

LiK

Most say to just do main story line

faction quests as well. they're great.

i haven't really done much side story stuff unless they intrigue me. i admit, some of the side story quests had really amusing conclusions. something i can check out if i want to play more after beating the main quest.

DanielJr82

Here's some of my armor sets; the first three are complete, the rest are missing a piece.

Kerrod's
vc2Dt.jpg

Eagonn
ok28y.jpg
Is the Eagonn/Warsworn armor the only one with a cape? That Kerro'd armor looks beastly though.

-Edit-
The gloves for Eagonn are in the first keep, you need Detect Hidden to see a secret door with a couple of locked chests in it. One of them requires a key you get in one of the quests.

-Edit 2-
Wait... is that a higher level version of the one you get for the doing the Warsworn faction?? :O

Is the Eagonn/Warsworn armor the only one with a cape? That Kerro'd armor looks beastly though.

-Edit-
The gloves for Eagonn are in the first keep, you need Detect Hidden to see a secret door with a couple of locked chests in it. One of them requires a key you get in one of the quests.

-Edit 2-
Wait... is that a higher level version of the one you get for the doing the Warsworn faction?? :O

As far as I can tell, every armor set has an alternate color scheme for a different set. Eagonn and the Warsworn set are the same, but red and blue respectively, and with different stats/bonuses.

It's:
Eagonn / Warsworn
Bolgan's Bane / Legion
Kerrod's / Corthian
Crucible / Ward Rede
Gaea / Faehunter
Martyr / Helius
Wrath / Belen's

That's all I can tell from what I have, I think.

Wallach

Apparently it breaks the game if you one-shot kill
the Balor.
Controls go completely unresponsive (including your means to get to the menus to load and everything). I suppose some scripts that revoke control input during a cutscene that never happens don't get resolved. I thought it was funny, anyway.

Big B

tried out the demo,thought it was fun, but was immediately put off by the dungeon defenders-ish art pallet. It's so ugly it's offensive. Beast Wars offensive.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
tried out the demo,thought it was fun, but was immediately put off by the dungeon defenders-ish art pallet. It's so ugly it's offensive. Beast Wars offensive.

The beginning of the game has a terrible art style..almost Dungeon Defenders meets the Dragon Age dwarf origin stories. However, once you get out into the world it's really refreshing playing a game that looks like this. I've enjoyed a lot of beginner cave/ruins dungeons as well and I HATE cave dungeons.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, finished off the last of the House of Sorrows quests, so I'm now done with all of the faction quests. I also hit level 40 (no achievement!). 55 hours now with something like 25 side quests remaining and a few lorestones to get. Not sure if I'm going to go back for it all, honestly. With that said, I had a ton of fun playing! Looking forward to the DLC, for sure.

Top Bottom