• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 News And Information Thread [Large Beta Weekends In March/April]

Helmholtz

Jira said:
If you want to resize the screenshots at the bottom that are stretching the page by all means do so. Just PM me the links to the edited images and I'll put them in.
Pmed :)

Did anyone else go all-out in GW1 with regards to HoM?

Helmholtz

_woLf said:
I got to 30 and then stopped. I care more about the items than the titles.
Makes sense. I was originally planning on stopping after 30, but I had invested so much time in the first game that since I already had all the armor and weapons etc... all I really needed to do was get all the titles to achieve 50/50. I also got my friend's acc up to 30.

Takuan

I've been wanting this forever despite playing and not being especially into GW1 for very long.

Day 1 couldn't come sooner. I pre-ordered more than a year ago for $30 @ Gamestop, lol. No way they honor it, but it didn't hurt trying. Plus, I'll probably go for the SE anyway since the art is INCREDIBLE.

Back in the day, I had a female friend that persuaded me to play Guild Wars with her. It was really fun, and to date it's the only MMO I've ever played. GW2, from the looks of it, seems pretty awesome. I like that it's not standard MMO stuff and that it's free to play. Those are definite pluses.

Unfortunately, I am also a huge Star Wars fan and will only be able to dedicate myself to one MMO if I choose to immerse myself in one. So right now, I'm behind Old Republic. But if OR tanks (like most people expect it to) I'll pick up GW2 for certain.

Lebron

Nice informative OP.

I've kind of tuned this game out since it's not coming till sometime in 2012 to make my life easier.

mik83kuu

Banned
Question:

Is it still sane to start playing GW1 just to get those extras for when GW2 comes out? Or should I just let GW1 pass. I don't have any friends to play with so I'd be soloing the game for the most part, with perhaps trying to group with random people. I have no idea how GW1 plays.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Good call splitting this off into a new OP. Great work, Jira!

mik83kuu said:
Question:

Is it still sane to start playing GW1 just to get those extras for when GW2 comes out? Or should I just let GW1 pass. I don't have any friends to play with so I'd be soloing the game for the most part, with perhaps trying to group with random people. I have no idea how GW1 plays.
It's very easy to solo if you pick up Nightfall and Eye of the North. You can have a full party of customizable companion AIs through those two expanions.

DMPrince said:
i was looking at GW2.com. is EotN the only one that has content for GW2? ;o i don't have that and might pick it up lol.
EoTN is the only way to transfer your bonuses to GW2, via an area in the expansion pack called the Hall of Monuments.

Nirolak said:
Early 2012 is looking very likely, but nothing officially.
i hope so. it's so good i can't wait. are preorders up?

mik83kuu said:
Question:

i was looking at GW2.com. is EotN the only one that has content for GW2? ;o i don't have that and might pick it up lol.

Ourobolus

Banned
Holy hell OP. Great job. I'll be going through this whole thing at work tomorrow.

Damn I cannot wait for this game.

mik83kuu

Banned
DMPrince said:

From what I understood, EotN is required for Hall of the Monuments and once you have that, it allows you to get the "achievements" and they come from all previous packs too.

I'm getting so excited.

Helmholtz

DMPrince said:
Eye of the North is an expansion - the only true expansion in GW. In order to play it you have to have a character level 10 or higher. So essentially you can't play it without having played a character from one of the other 3 campaigns.
Personally, if you're looking to just get HoM rewards, I say you should buy a campaign and eye of the north. Nightfall is probably best for HoM rewards, since it is the only full campaign that has heros. EOTN is required in order to access your HoM and unlock rewards for GW2; it's also the best and most polished GW1 entry in my opinion.
However all 3 of the first campaigns are worth trying imo, but I'd just start with one (wouldn't start with Factions personally).
It is definitely possible to get 30/50 points in the HoM (all physical items unlocked) with one campaign and EOTN, however it will be a bit easier if you buy all 3 campaigns + EOTN because you'll get some additional easy statues for beating those campaigns, and will also have access to other armor sets and such.
To get 50/50 in HoM starting from scratch would take an insane amount of time and dedication, but 30/50 is definitely reasonable but will also take a fair amount of dedication.

Helmholtz said:
Eye of the North is an expansion - the only true expansion in GW. In order to play it you have to have a character level 10 or higher. So essentially you can't play it without having played a character from one of the other 3 campaigns.
Personally, if you're looking to just get HoM rewards, I say you should buy a campaign and eye of the north. Nightfall is probably best for HoM rewards, since it is the only full campaign that has heros. EOTN is required in order to access your HoM and unlock rewards for GW2; it's also the best and most polished GW1 entry in my opinion.
However all 3 of the first campaigns are worth trying imo, but I'd just start with one (wouldn't start with Factions personally).
It is definitely possible to get 30/50 points in the HoM (all physical items unlocked) with one campaign and EOTN, however it will be a bit easier if you buy all 3 campaigns + EOTN because you'll get some additional easy statues for beating those campaigns, and will also have access to other armor sets and such.
To get 50/50 in HoM starting from scratch would take an insane amount of time and dedication, but 30/50 is definitely reasonable but will also take a fair amount of dedication.
alright thanks. i already have the triology on steam. gonna pick it up EotN later.

Instro

RawrDuy said:
I remember going out to borders and grabbing the PC Gamer which first announced the game. That was in 2007. I've been waiting ever since. Guild Wars <3
Oh man I can't believe it was that long ago. Such a long wait.

I never played Guild Wars 1 (and probably have no intention to now), but definitely going to pick this up at least to try out even if it doesn't make it to "primary" game status for me. After being a WoW junkie for a decent amount of time, I'm kind of interested in other MMOs just to compare/contrast them to the king. No subscription fee definitely alleviates the pressure a bit.

Guild Wars 1 always seemed a bit janky compared to full-fledged MMOs, but GW2 seems to be shaping up nicely.

Do we know if the UI is customizable? That's definitely one of the things that drew me in and kept me playing WoW. The current UI in GW2 needs some polish if we don't get addons to fix it.

Jira

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I never played Guild Wars 1 (and probably have no intention to now), but definitely going to pick this up at least to try out even if it doesn't make it to "primary" game status for me. After being a WoW junkie for a decent amount of time, I'm kind of interested in other MMOs just to compare/contrast them to the king. No subscription fee definitely alleviates the pressure a bit.

Guild Wars 1 always seemed a bit janky compared to full-fledged MMOs, but GW2 seems to be shaping up nicely.

Do we know if the UI is customizable? That's definitely one of the things that drew me in and kept me playing WoW. The current UI in GW2 needs some polish if we don't get addons to fix it.

We know it's customizable in the sense that you can move and scale anything you wish. The GW2 UI is the most simplistic and well put together base UI I've ever seen. Whether we'll see addons remains to be seen, though I'm going to bet towards no. I really don't think things like DPS meters will really be relevant because when everyone is going to be doing everything is pretty much impossible to say "hey you're not doing enough DPS" or "hey you're not doing enough healing" because everyone is self sufficient for the most part.

I love addons to restructure my action bars and bags and as nice as it might be to do so, I wouldn't be able to stomach replacing such beautiful art for generic action bars/bags. I've never seen a game in which a UI is actually artistically beautiful and I don't want to replace the default UI because of this. Sounds silly but dammit their artists are SO good at what they do.

Helmholtz

DMPrince said:
alright thanks. i already have the triology on steam. gonna pick it up EotN later.
Oh okay, then yeah all you need is EOTN. I'd recommend just finishing one of the main 3 campaigns (nightfall or proph imo), then go on to EOTN. Nightfall is a good one to finish since you get heros from it, which are AI allies that you can customize (armor, skills, weapons). Prophecies is my favorite but a lot of that is nostalgia, I don't think it holds up quite as well as nightfall/eotn do.

Lulubop

Man, I've been dying for this game for a long time, even built a comp primarily for it. I loved GW1 and put more time into it than any game I've ever played but since my account got hacked and all my best characters deleted I haven't been motivated to play it.

Orayn

Helmholtz said:
Oh okay, then yeah all you need is EOTN. I'd recommend just finishing one of the main 3 campaigns (nightfall or proph imo), then go on to EOTN. Nightfall is a good one to finish since you get heros from it, which are AI allies that you can customize (armor, skills, weapons). Prophecies is my favorite but a lot of that is nostalgia, I don't think it holds up quite as well as nightfall/eotn do.
Nightfall also has great pacing compared to the other two campaigns, and more variety than Factions. Lots of scenic vistas with well-designed missions, and it's not drawn out like Prophecies or short-ish like Factions.

Llyranor

Elementalist and Engineer seem to be the most versatile classes.

Other classes: 5 x 2 weapon skills + 5 support = 15

Elementalist: 5 x 4 attunement 'weapon' skills + 5 healing/utility/elite skills = 25, plus 4 passive attunement abilities

Engineer: 5 weapon skills + 5 support skills if no kits are taken. Potentially for a turret-heavy build. If you can fill all 5 support slots with kits, thus potentially 6 x 5 'weapon' slots = 30 (+5 from the support slots, though they by themselves don't do anything except change the weapon slots). If we realistically fill the 5 support slots with 2-3 kits (the rest with turrets or other misc skills), then that's still 18-22 useful skills. I see lots of options both in and out of combat.

I still need to see the last class (hoping for a mesmer type), but my first class is likely engineer, and elementalist the next one.

EDIT: I suppose the tool belt also adds 1 extra skill per kit you bring in, so I suppose those skills compensate for the support slot that the actual kits take. Works for me!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Llyranor said:
Elementalist and Engineer seem to be the most versatile classes.

Other classes: 5 x 2 weapon skills + 5 support = 15

Elementalist: 5 x 4 attunement 'weapon' skills + 5 healing/utility/elite skills = 25, plus 4 passive attunement abilities

Engineer: 5 weapon skills + 5 support skills if no kits are taken. Potentially for a turret-heavy build. If you can fill all 5 support slots with kits, thus potentially 6 x 5 'weapon' slots = 30 (+5 from the support slots, though they by themselves don't do anything except change the weapon slots). If we realistically fill the 5 support slots with 2-3 kits (the rest with turrets or other misc skills), then that's still 18-22 useful skills. I see lots of options both in and out of combat.

I still need to see the last class (hoping for a mesmer type), but my first class is likely engineer, and elementalist the next one.
Thief should be pretty high due to the stealing skill as well, since it changes your ability bar based on the enemy you steal from.

Helmholtz

Orayn said:
Nightfall also has great pacing than the other two campaigns, and more variety than Factions. Lots of scenic vistas with well-designed missions, and it's not drawn out like Prophecies or short-ish like Factions.
Yeah I completely agree. Most people feel prophecies is too long and factions is too short.
I personally really like prophecy's atmosphere, story, environments etc... especially pre-searing. But I don't think it's as 'beginner friendly' as Nightfall. I think they're all worth checking out though because they're very different from one another.

Llyranor

Yeah, I pondered thief for a bit after its announcement. Stealthing in-and-out of the shadow and unleashing all your initiative in quick bursts does have its appeal.

I also really like the concept of the guardian. Trading off whether to boost yourself or your allies (thus leaving yourself exposed for a few min).

Really looking forward to this game! It's been a while since an RPG has had me seriously looking at build/customization potential.

LaneDS

How do the original campaigns hold up? I've had a Diablo-itch that I can't scratch and only played the original GW in beta. I know it's quite a bit different than Diablo, but since I'm very interested in GW2 I might pick up something on Steam just as a fun time waster if people think they hold up.

Also, great thread. So much info.

Helmholtz

LaneDS said:
How do the original campaigns hold up? I've had a Diablo-itch that I can't scratch and only played the original GW in beta. I know it's quite a bit different than Diablo, but since I'm very interested in GW2 I might pick up something on Steam just as a fun time waster if people think they hold up.

Pretty well. Nightfall and EOTN in particular. EOTN introduced dungeons too which you might be interested in, they're basically self contained multi-level explorable areas with end bosses.

Orayn

LaneDS said:

If you try one, go for Nightfall. It's got customizable AI party members, and the most up-to-date mechanics of the three. On top of that, it's got an African and Mediterranean theme that many people find very, very pretty. The gist of the gameplay is roughly Diabloid, but the limited skills and flexible class/ability customization gives it some similarities to a trading card game. It's really one of a kind.

An-Det

Goddamn that's a fantastic OP. I put in a huge amount of time into GW1, and have been impatiently waiting for GW2 for so, so long now. It looks amazing.

Fuck, now I want to boot up GW1 and work on HoM shit for the first time in ages.

Ezalc

I haven't played an MMO in a while but this one might be the one to change that. Amazing OP, can't wait to see more about this game.

Forkball

Nice OP. I'm excited for this game even though I never played GW1. It sounds like they took all my reservations about playing an MMO and got rid of them. Is it wrong that the number one thing I'm most excited about are the dyes?

Swag

Having read the OP, some futuristic shit going on at Arena Net right now, really looking forward to this after investing countless hours in GW1, any idea when it's supposed to release, I'm assuming probably not till next year.

Orayn

Forkball said:
Nice OP. I'm excited for this game even though I never played GW1. It sounds like they took all my reservations about playing an MMO and got rid of them. Is it wrong that the number one thing I'm most excited about are the dyes?
Not at all. I'm just glad the base character customization is catching up to the in-depth armor customization this time around. I want sliders, not just picking faces!

Release is probably early 2012, Sebulon3k.

Lunar15

The thing I love about this game is that it sounds like ArenaNet really "gets it". Everything we've heard about the game seems to be some type of evolution from the current situation of MMO's. Nearly every complaint I've had about the genre is being addressed, and I really really appreciate that.

Here's hoping the game can live up to the high bar that ArenaNet is setting up for itself.

Rad-

Great OP. Now the only thing they need confirm is how well it runs on slightly older machines. That was one of the best parts of GW1, it ran beautifully even on crappy PCs.

Grayman

Does GW2 still have secondary classes?

I haven't read enough to fully understand the skill changes from game to game.

nataku

I can't wait for Gamescom and PAX. After the massive PvP reveal the only major thing left to reveal is the final profession.

The game is actually starting to feel a little closer.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The game is going to help rewrite conventions of MMOs. Looking forward to it immensely.

Babalu.

awesome thread. Can't wait for this game!

Lunar15 said:
The thing I love about this game is that it sounds like ArenaNet really "gets it". Everything we've heard about the game seems to be some type of evolution from the current situation of MMO's. Nearly every complaint I've had about the genre is being addressed, and I really really appreciate that.

Here's hoping the game can live up to the high bar that ArenaNet is setting up for itself.

Exactly. They seem to have been hearing and playing everything out there to get that people are ready for the next step in MMO evolution. If everything lives up to it, this will be the next 10 million+ MMO.

Top Bottom