• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

sector4

I can confirm that the VSX-1130 plays perfectly well with the B6 @ 4k. I had to enable a setting on my AVR for the inputs..

I'm not sure if this setting is available on the VSX-1131.. but try this -

I've used both amps and that step was needed to get HDR on the VSX-1130, but the 1131 supported 4:4:4 on HDMI 1 - 3 out of the box, so not sure what is happening for the poster there..

I bought a 60" KU6300 (also known así KU6000) for my Pro and I don't like it at all. Everything about the TV is great, until there's a gray tone and I can see the worst clouding/banding/whatever-its-called I've ever seen in my life. Screen Uniformity on this TV is absolutely awful and it makes me disappointed on it, considering everything else is great imo.

I can't return it, so I'll live with it I Guess. Next time I'm going High End as fuck, no matter the cost.

LG built two different SoC for their 2016 lineup. One is in the B6, the other in the C6, E6 and G6. The B6 is the cheapest entry price set, that doesn't have 3D, so it got a the cheaper SoC, whereas the SoC in the top of the line models has to do more heavy lifting.
What's not to understand?

Oh, and do you have any hard data comparing the lag? And no, Rtings flawed methods don't count.
Three different SOC as the G6 has not the same one as the C6/E6.

BumRush

I bought a 60" KU6300 (also known así KU6000) for my Pro and I don't like it at all. Everything about the TV is great, until there's a gray tone and I can see the worst clouding/banding/whatever-its-called I've ever seen in my life. Screen Uniformity on this TV is absolutely awful and it makes me disappointed on it, considering everything else is great imo.

I can't return it, so I'll live with it I Guess. Next time I'm going High End as fuck, no matter the cost.

Sorry to hear that. I ended up selling my 2013 high end LED and going back to my 2010 Plasma because of clouding. It just destroyed the enjoyment for me. OLED or bust for me next.

holygeesus

Banned
LG built two different SoC for their 2016 lineup. One is in the B6, the other in the C6, E6 and G6. The B6 is the cheapest entry price set, that doesn't have 3D, so it got a the cheaper SoC, whereas the SoC in the top of the line models has to do more heavy lifting.
What's not to understand

The part where the SoC in the B6 actually costs more to buy as a spare part. :p

They aren't being asked to do anything strenuous anyway. There is literally zero evidence that the SoC in the C6 is better and indeed, as pointed out, cheaper to purchase.

Hammer24

Banned
Three different SOC as the G6 has not the same one as the C6/E6.

Source?

The part where the SoC in the B6 actually costs more to buy as a spare part. :p

They aren't being asked to do anything strenuous anyway. There is literally zero evidence that the SoC in the C6 is better and indeed, as pointed out, cheaper to purchase.

It's cheaper because more are produced.
And all non Dolby HDR solutions are software based, that's what taxes the SoC.

Sorry to hear that. I ended up selling my 2013 high end LED and going back to my 2010 Plasma because of clouding. It just destroyed the enjoyment for me. OLED or bust for me next.
I'll do the same once OLED goes down in price. Everything looks crisp and colorful on this TV and I love it during those moments, until there's a gray tone and you can see a gross amount of clouding. I'm so disappointed and frustrated about this :(

holygeesus

Banned
It's cheaper because more are produced.
And all non Dolby HDR solutions are software based, that's what taxes the SoC.

Come on now, the B6 and UH7709 must have given the C6/E6 a good run for their money, in terms of sets produced. I'd wager that the B6 alone outsold the other two you list.

What 'solutions' are you talking about anyway? Running the OS takes very little effort, and decoding Netflix streams et al, can be done without breaking sweat. It seems an odd point to obsess over, as despite what you say, the chip inside doesn't mean more or less future proofing.

I thought the same upon receiving my B6 but apparently there is nothing to peel off.

I'm glad I didn't continue down that path.

I can confirm that the VSX-1130 plays perfectly well with the B6 @ 4k. I had to enable a setting on my AVR for the inputs..

I'm not sure if this setting is available on the VSX-1131.. but try this -

Thanks for the info. My unit doesn't work with those directions. More investigation is required on my part.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Does SDR (non-HDR) content look great on the LG OLED TV's? I'm guessing that PC games are going to be in SDR for at least another year and I want the TV buy to be worth it immediately.

My plan was to buy an Nvidia Shield TV for some 4K Netflix and using Gamestream to get PC games to my TV. That is also meant to support HDR if any game has it.

the OLED is the best SDR TV on the market.

Hammer24

Banned
What 'solutions' are you talking about anyway?

HDR10 and the planned updates to dynamic metadata.

Don't have any at hand (first mentioned in a french hdfever article), but what's yours?

In LG's UK media briefing in early 2016 (April?) they stated, that only the B6 would be keeping the Realtek RTD2999 SoC, but the rest of the new 2016 panels would get a newer SoC with more power, for 3D and the integrated soundbars. The C6 has no soundbar, yet still got the new SoC as well.

I'll do the same once OLED goes down in price. Everything looks crisp and colorful on this TV and I love it during those moments, until there's a gray tone and you can see a gross amount of clouding. I'm so disappointed and frustrated about this :(
I'm gonna quote myself to say that the more I use it, the less the effect appears to be on the screen. It might be some first use shenanigans or something.

This is definitely possible. If it is mild, you'll get used to it to an extent as well.
My previous TV was a 40' 1080p Samsung and the first couple weeks it had terrible trail artifacts on moving objects. Time later, the
trails disappeared and image was crisp and perfect. I think this may be the same.

When you first get an OLED it will be cleaning itself up with the compensation cycles.
I wish I had one but my budget can't affort it for at least a couple of years. They are way too expensive here on South America.

So I just ordered the 55 B6 off ebay from Adorama camera for like 1400 bucks.

Is there a break in cycle that you need to do for these like I had to do for my old Kuro?

So I just ordered the 55 B6 off ebay from Adorama camera for like 1400 bucks.

Is there a break in cycle that you need to do for these like I had to do for my old Kuro?
Nope. I ran a manual compensation cycle right off the bat (takes about an hour) to clear any latent banding or vignetting issues out of the box but aside from that - no break-in period.

I'd recommend using the set at least 100-200 hours before moving forward with any type of professional calibration but outside of that - user at your leisure.

Here's the link for the Adorama deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-Electron...fepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

I'm in a bad place here. I got a LED/LCD tv from around 2011, it's a 40pfl6606 philips. I've had it since well, january 2012. It has noticable ghosting and input lag was never the best, but the colours and stuff are really, really good and is very good when it comes to watching it from different angles, so i can scuffle around in my bed all i want without anything on the screen looking weird.

Now, my dad has a 46inch lcd from around 2010 that i got when he got some new tv and didn't need it anymore. At first i thought: Sweet, a new tv that supposedly has warmer and better colours and little input lag. And that was true, it's far easier to reach a warm colour temperature, the input lag is definetly a little smaller and well, it's big. However, it has some coilwhine that i noticed pop up when you turn it on and persists for about 15 minutes until dissapearing. I also heard it again at some point but it quickly dissapeared. It looses screen quality super easily in corners when i look at it from an angle that isnt specifically center. And since it was a bit higher when mounted on the table compared to my old tv the leftmost corner lost alot of contrast and colour when laying down in my bed, and it wasnt up until here that i realized how big that was for me.

So i switched back to my older tv again, even though it's smaller and has some ghosting and stuff. But at the same time that tv was so much bigger than this one. I'm in paaain.

Might try to save up for a proper OLED in the future instead, is there a general model to get that has good picture from several angles? I don't care about either 4k or hdr, and most tvs that i see recommended are that.

Dave_6

I've only had my B6 for a little over two weeks now so I know there are some inherent minor issues that can go away after 100 hours or so, but mine has a vertical band that is driving me nuts. I've read that vertical banding is common on these and usually goes away or gets a lot better so I guess I need to give it some more time. I've yet to manually run a compensation cycle so I may do that one night here soon and see if that helps.

I've been trying to find a good A/V receiver for my 4K HDR needs and it's been driving me nuts. There's lots of them available that say "HDMI with 4K and HDR video" but no mention of the HDMI version (I believe I need version 2.0b). Then there's the problem of Dolby Vision being a competing proprietary standard, which none seem to support.

Weevilone

I've only had my B6 for a little over two weeks now so I know there are some inherent minor issues that can go away after 100 hours or so, but mine has a vertical band that is driving me nuts. I've read that vertical banding is common on these and usually goes away or gets a lot better so I guess I need to give it some more time. I've yet to manually run a compensation cycle so I may do that one night here soon and see if that helps.

Yeah I had a really nasty vertical band along the right edge of my E6 and it's totally gone now. I'd just give it time, as I didn't run any manal cycles either.

I've been trying to find a good A/V receiver for my 4K HDR needs and it's been driving me nuts. There's lots of them available that say "HDMI with 4K and HDR video" but no mention of the HDMI version (I believe I need version 2.0b). Then there's the problem of Dolby Vision being a competing proprietary standard, which none seem to support.

It should be trivial to pass through DV, but I do think it will take time for confirmation. I think the only way I can play DV titles today is via my TV's built-in apps. The new LG UHD player launches soon and will support DV, and Oppo will be adding DV support to the 203 soon as well. Something will have to give on the AVR front.

With luck you'll get your new AVR ironed out so you can enjoy it a bit before HDMI 2.1 makes it obsolete!

My UHD/HDR content is all currently played on my gaming setup. I think I've decided to keep my old AVR and just use it as an expensive HDMI switch for my old sources. I'll add one of the new soundbars that handles the new Atmos/DTS:X formats and accepts 4 (ish) HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 sources. That'll help me limp along for a couple years till things settle again. The AVR manufacturers really suck in terms of playing nice as HDMI evolves.

Dave_6

Yeah I had a really nasty vertical band along the right edge of my E6 and it's totally gone now. I'd just give it time, as I didn't run any manal cycles either.

The one on mine is a few inches to the right of center and it's mostly noticeable on darker scenes with lighter black levels, like almost the entirety of Arrival. It doesn't show on inky blacks or really bright scenes.

Weevilone

The one on mine is a few inches to the right of center and it's mostly noticeable on darker scenes with lighter black levels, like almost the entirety of Arrival. It doesn't show on inky blacks or really bright scenes.

Well if it helps, that sounds exactly like what I had, but mine was toward an edge. It's totally gone. I was really worried because I bought the display via Ebay and there was no chance of a return.

Kyoufu

So, I pre-ordered the Planet Earth II UHD Blu Ray which is due out in March, but I don't have a UHD player yet. When can we expect the Dolby Vision Blu Ray players to hit the market and are they going to be as expensive as the Oppo player? That one is like 3x the price of an Xbox One S, which is ridiculous tbh.

Weevilone

So, I pre-ordered the Planet Earth II UHD Blu Ray which is due out in March, but I don't have a UHD player yet. When can we expect the Dolby Vision Blu Ray players to hit the market and are they going to be as expensive as the Oppo player? That one is like 3x the price of an Xbox One S, which is ridiculous tbh.

Xbox One S seems a strange pricing benchmark to use for a home theater component. One is a mass market product that is subsidized by software sales. The other is a niche high end home theater product that isn't subsidized by anything.

LG is supposed to have a player coming out with DV that might land before the 203 gets updated. Sony has not decided whether they will support DV at all with their new player.

Kyoufu

Xbox One S seems a strange pricing benchmark to use for a home theater component. One is a mass market product that is subsidized by software sales. The other is a niche high end home theater product that isn't subsidized by anything.

LG is supposed to have a player coming out with DV that might land before the 203 gets updated. Sony has not decided whether they will support DV at all with their new player.

But the Oppo player is 2-3x the price of Samsung's 4K player as well.

WHAT NOW WEEVILONE

Yukstin

Which AV receivers are you looking at?

I have the Yamaha RX-A1060 and it works great with my LG OLED. Passes through all the correct 4K and HDR sources and provides the awesome sound to drive the 7.1 speaker setup I have. All the inputs are HDMI 2.0a and all the ones are the back are HDCP 2.2 compatible.

It should be trivial to pass through DV, but I do think it will take time for confirmation. I think the only way I can play DV titles today is via my TV's built-in apps. The new LG UHD player launches soon and will support DV, and Oppo will be adding DV support to the 203 soon as well. Something will have to give on the AVR front.

With luck you'll get your new AVR ironed out so you can enjoy it a bit before HDMI 2.1 makes it obsolete!

My UHD/HDR content is all currently played on my gaming setup. I think I've decided to keep my old AVR and just use it as an expensive HDMI switch for my old sources. I'll add one of the new soundbars that handles the new Atmos/DTS:X formats and accepts 4 (ish) HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 sources. That'll help me limp along for a couple years till things settle again. The AVR manufacturers really suck in terms of playing nice as HDMI evolves.

At least right now Dolby Vision seems like not a problem to deal with. As I've mentioned earlier, my plan was to use an Nvidia Shield TV to stream PC games to the TV and watch other 4K stuff via Netflix. The Shield TV specs do not mention Dolby Vision at all, so I'm assuming it's going to be HDR10.

HDR is really confusing right now and it's hard to get a good setup done. LG seems to be doing a good job supporting as much as possible on their TV, but AV receivers are an issue now.

Which AV receivers are you looking at?

I have the Yamaha RX-A1060 and it works great with my LG OLED. Passes through all the correct 4K and HDR sources and provides the awesome sound to drive the 7.1 speaker setup I have. All the inputs are HDMI 2.0a and all the ones are the back are HDCP 2.2 compatible.

RX-A1060 is really expensive and seems to come with two HDMI Outs and eight HDMI Ins but I don't need that much! Only need three inputs for PS3, PS4 and Shield TV. I'm fine with 5.1 speakers too.

One I was interested in was HTR-4069 which is much cheaper, but the only mention of HDR is buried in those specs as "HDR Video".

Weevilone

But the Oppo player is 2-3x the price of Samsung's 4K player as well.

WHAT NOW WEEVILONE

Haha.. well the Samsung player is shit. :)

It also sucks because
(insert more hyperbole here)

At least right now Dolby Vision seems like not a problem to deal with. As I've mentioned earlier, my plan was to use an Nvidia Shield TV to stream PC games to the TV and watch other 4K stuff via Netflix. The Shield TV specs do not mention Dolby Vision at all, so I'm assuming it's going to be HDR10.

HDR is really confusing right now and it's hard to get a good setup done. LG seems to be doing a good job supporting as much as possible on their TV, but AV receivers are an issue now.

Yeah the Nvidia Shield doesn't support DV now, but the thing is being updated constantly. I think the odds are good. I honestly can't remember if my Roku Ultra does. I keep changing streaming boxes.

Yukstin

RX-A1060 is really expensive and seems to come with two HDMI Outs and eight HDMI Ins but I don't need that much! Only need three inputs for PS3, PS4 and Shield TV. I'm fine with 5.1 speakers too.

One I was interested in was HTR-4069 which is much cheaper, but the only mention of HDR is buried in those specs as "HDR Video".

Says HDCP 2.2 on the back so should be HDMI 2.0a compatible and pass HDR just like the model I have. Only drawback to that receiver I see is that it doesn't support the new Dolby Atmos standards if you ever wanted to upgrade your speaker setup.

I wouldn't plan on a lot of external boxes taking advantage of DV. PS4 Pro and Xbox One S only support HDR 10.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Was watching Hibana Spark on Netflix this evening. The subtitles are horrible on my TV - really light up the surrounding area (Sony x930d). I'll experiment with turning down the local dimming setting but that really made me think to go OLED next time round.

Weevilone

Says HDCP 2.2 on the back so should be HDMI 2.0a compatible and pass HDR just like the model I have. Only drawback to that receiver I see is that it doesn't support the new Dolby Atmos standards if you ever wanted to upgrade your speaker setup.

I wouldn't plan on a lot of external boxes taking advantage of DV. PS4 Pro and Xbox One S only support HDR 10.

Well DV disks don't exist yet, and there's really nothing preventing Vudu or anyone else from updating their apps to support DV. I don't believe the system itself needs any specific change to allow this.

So I read today that Samsung is making a special event to release the new Q TV series. I don't remember where I saw that nor when it was supposed to take place, but I guess it's this month since this line releases later this month?

So I read today that Samsung is making a special event to release the new Q TV series. I don't remember where I saw that nor when it was supposed to take place, but I guess it's this month since this line releases later this month?

Does that mean a possible "employee" price that I heard about that went on during and after Black Friday? I need me a new KS8000 :).

Some of you may recall me bitching about my KS8000, but I got some pretty exciting news today if true. I was given the option to receive an exchange or refund after my TV was in worse shape after the tech came out (bleed and clouding is worse in certain scenes, and the back plastic isn't entirely attached to the panel). My refund request is waiting for approval, should hear something tomorrow or Friday.

But here is the interesting part: when I asked how long it took for someone to pick it up the rep told me I can dispose of it as I wish. Meaning, I can keep it if I want. I won't know until my refund request is approved, but I could basically be getting the TV for free. I can deal with those issues if I don't have to pay a dime. Pretty fucking awesome. May put this TV in my sunroom and pick up a 2016 65" OLED once I can get one for under $1500.

LilJoka

Some of you may recall me bitching about my KS8000, but I got some pretty exciting news today if true. I was given the option to receive an exchange or refund after my TV was in worse shape after the tech came out (bleed and clouding is worse in certain scenes, and the back plastic isn't entirely attached to the panel). My refund request is waiting for approval, should hear something tomorrow or Friday.

But here is the interesting part: when I asked how long it took for someone to pick it up the rep told me I can dispose of it as I wish. Meaning, I can keep it if I want. I won't know until my refund request is approved, but I could basically be getting the TV for free. I can deal with those issues if I don't have to pay a dime. Pretty fucking awesome. May put this TV in my sunroom and pick up a 2016 65" OLED once I can get one for under $1500.

The B6 at least is drying up in supply. 1500$ for a 65 B6 - I think that's never going to happen.

The B6 at least is drying up in supply. 1500$ for a 65 B6 - I think that's never going to happen.

Well if not the KS8000 can tide me over until Black Friday or maybe even this time next year.

You can currently get a 65" B6 for $1850 so I'm not too far off. You can buy one from ielectrica for $2350 on eBay and then use price protection to knock off $500 by showing the eBuyUSA or East Coast TVs price.

sector4

Has the response time been improved since launch? HDTV test report the lowest reading as 42ms in Game mode with all processing off.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65zd9-201610164372.htm
Sorry for the late reply, I never saw your post originally. No, that number is when the TV is fed a 1080p signal. The TV has to do more processing for that, but when fed a 4K signal (which both PS4 Pro and XB1 S do by default) input lag drops significantly, into the ~20ms's.

Thx for the reply, zd9 has 42 ms in Game Mode. The XD94 has 35 ms.

For the ZD9 this is true for the XD94 around 700-800 nits. I expect the XE94 to be somewhere there as well as the XE90 series. Under the 1000 nits barrier.

I dont think its just because of the fee but for the average consumer who looks for this kind of things. I already hear them "1600€ for a 49" and doesn't even is UHD Premium" (xe90).

For me personal, as i said, dont care about the amount of nits that much.

Btw. If i understood correctly you are an owner of a ZD9, you have a gorgeous set ^_~
See above, Z9D input lag is lower on 4K sources, and probably is for other TVs in Sony's line also :)

Haha thanks, it's a wonderful TV!!

Thanks for that, I have no plans on getting new speakers so that's fine. I ordered a HTR-3069 which is a cheaper version of the one I linked earlier. The only difference seems to be that this one doesn't have built-in music streaming service support. I don't need that because I'm getting an Nvidia Shield TV which will have all the Android TV apps anyway including Spotify.

Muzicfreq

Banned
was looking at the R45 set from Sony for the HDR and much better screen than my TCL I am struggling with. but it turns out that forbes got some pricing details

Sony R45E/R40E series (RE45/RE40 series in the UK)

There's only one R45E: a 40-inch model. This full HD set doesn't carry any smart TV features, but it still boasts Sony's X-Reality Pro processing and, surprisingly, HDR support! The R40E is an HDR-capable 32-inch model, with an HD Ready resolution of 1366x768.

Details

Screen sizes/Prizes: 32-inch (sony.at quotes EUR 399, which converts to $426 or £340); 40-inch (sony.at quotes EUR 619, which converts to $662 or £528)

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh.... nvm.
Looking for a 1080p set with a really good latency for my rhythm games at 40"

Top Bottom