• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Does anybody know if this has download play? Both my sister and my girlfriend have a 3DS, but neither are buying this game. I'd love to do multiplayer with them.

And while I'm on the subject, what about multiple save files?

From the unboxing video posted a long way back, if you look at the box there is indeed
no download play for mutiplayer.

Neiteio

Pandora's Labyrinth is a pretty fucked up stage. Ow, my head.

Also, tried playing through the first chapter on intensity 9. I need some better gear for that :lol
Let me guess: Pandora's Labyrinth is a confusing maze, even though a labyrinth is supposed to be something you can't actually get lost in, one path spiraling in to the center to allow for contemplation and reflection as you walk there.

But whatev -- details! Share details! How many chapters in are you? How is Pandora's Labyrinth "a pretty fucked up stage" that hurt your head? And did you reach the boss? I presume it's Pandora, the Goddess of Calamity (seen in the Medusa trailer, and also from the original Kid Icarus). What's her boss encounter like?

jonno394

1000 star points just registered, and i'm assuming KI:U will come with another 250, so that's 5 lots of rewards to claim for Club Nintendo UK, so 10 packs of KI cards for me, wish I hadn't ordered the Mario themed hanafuda cards a few months back now (2500 points)

From the unboxing video posted a long way back, if you look at the box there is indeed
no download play for mutiplayer.
Bogus :( I've used the download play feature in Mario Kart 7 countless times... I'm very surprised that a game like this, with such a huge budget and a staggering amount of content and customizable options, doesn't offer it. Oh well, I'll just have to settle for whipping some GAF ass online then!

Has this been posted? I found it interesting. Tiny Cartridge have a compariosn between the final retail cards and those that were distributed at E3:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/19430402912/kid-icarus-uprisings-ar-idol-cards-final

EKG1q.jpg

XMwJb.jpg

Apparently the game reads both cards as the same. So what is the camera looking for?
I'd say its the red green blue thing in the bottom left corner (its technically harder to reverse engineer than a QR code depending on how the data is stored* though I'm sure people will manage) and if it doesn't find there (like in the E3 cards) it uses a different method (probably based on outlines but this was changed when the AR cards were finalised)

I'd have to see more of both types of card though.

*-Can the block pattern change or is it only the colours?

I'd say its the red green blue thing in the bottom left corner (its technically harder to reverse engineer than a QR code depending on how the data is stored* though I'm sure people will manage) and if it doesn't find there (like in the E3 cards) it uses a different method (probably based on outlines but this was changed when the AR cards were finalised)

I'd have to see more of both types of card though.

*-Can the block pattern change or is it only the colours?

Could be.
imubq.jpg
uECC6.jpg

Eric C

But the E3 card doesn't have that pattern.

It's possible that at first Nintendo used a recognition method similar to the pack in AR cards that came with the 3DS... maybe they were originally planning to make only a small number of cards.

Later when Nintendo decided they wanted "hundreds of cards" they changed to that stained glass QR code thing. Nintendo could've just left the code that recognizes the older cards in the game, especially if they only programmed a few.

How many cards were at E3?

Jarsonot

In regards to download play, dya think there's significantly more to download in this game?

Not sure if the arenas are more than the tracks in Mario Kart, but maybe all the different weapons and abilities and whatnot would make it prohibitively large to download well?

Neiteio

*Neiteio walks in, sees FoxHimself hasn't posted an exhaustive write-up of impressions and spoiler-tagged details*

GAWDDAMMIT.

*kicks down a potted tree and storms out the door*

In regards to download play, dya think there's significantly more to download in this game?

Not sure if the arenas are more than the tracks in Mario Kart, but maybe all the different weapons and abilities and whatnot would make it prohibitively large to download well?

It's pretty much exactly that, Every weapon, stage(unless they'd limit that to only a few) would have to be sent over.
However I think they didn't do it because of your weapons carrying over to mutiplayer from single player. It would never be as good as facing a guy that knows how to play and has a good playstyle and weapon.

Datschge

Bogus :( I've used the download play feature in Mario Kart 7 countless times... I'm very surprised that a game like this, with such a huge budget and a staggering amount of content and customizable options, doesn't offer it. Oh well, I'll just have to settle for whipping some GAF ass online then!

Said "staggering amount of content" probably didn't fit the memory anymore to make download play possible or something.

Said "staggering amount of content" probably didn't fit the memory anymore to make download play possible or something.
I figured a stripped down lite version would be possible. It's not like all of the characters and kart options are available for download players in Mario Kart 7, so I don't see why they couldn't have implemented something similar here.

Does anyone know how many save files this game has? I'm assuming it's only one, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that I'm wrong

I know what it means. I don't agree with why it was chosen for OP, considering I don't see how this game would be considered slipshod in its execution.

Change the OT OP.

This wasn't my intention. Seems a fairly good one-liner summing up of the themes of the game, rather than any judgement of quality.

And I'm good, thanks.

I figured a stripped down lite version would be possible. It's not like all of the characters and kart options are available for download players in Mario Kart 7, so I don't see why they couldn't have implemented something similar here.

Does anyone know how many save files this game has? I'm assuming it's only one, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that I'm wrong

Three.

The dialogue is awesomely cheesy. I love the constant references to the original game, as if it was a game. "Back in the eighties, this guy was just a snake" and a screenshot from the NES game.

It's very similar to Smash Bros in its rewards, and you have the challenge wall again from Brawl. And a ton of different weapons that can be fused into bigger ones.

I'm not really feeling the online though. Maybe it'll grow on me as I unlock stuff though.

Assuming I remember the maths correctly...15p3...so thats only 2730 to try if we were to use brute force (not that ever permutation is valid of course)...that is assuming the AR mode doesn't look for anything on the card as well otherwise its no use.

It's more complex that that. It won't register if you cover up the image in the center, and it won't register if you cover up the "code" part at the bottom. I think the game just ..knows what each card looks like :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The dialogue is awesomely cheesy. I love the constant references to the original game, as if it was a game. "Back in the eighties, this guy was just a snake" and a screenshot from the NES game.

It's very similar to Smash Bros in its rewards, and you have the challenge wall again from Brawl. And a ton of different weapons that can be fused into bigger ones.

I'm not really feeling the online though. Maybe it'll grow on me as I unlock stuff though.

Some questions: is it fluid as Mario Kart (60 fps) in single? How's the framerate online? And does the online work well ( I mean, NOT like Brawl)?

zroid

Banned
It's more complex that that. It won't register if you cover up the image in the center, and it won't register if you cover up the "code" part at the bottom. I think the game just ..knows what each card looks like :p

I wonder... when you covered up parts of the card, did you just stick your hand over it? Because I think possibly the game would need to see the whole card, and then within the card a specific image/symbol. What if you just, say, put a coin over the image? Or the thing(s) at the bottom?

iavi

Have the hands-cramps faded/controls grown on you?

Neiteio

Oh! OH! Sweet, glorious update!

*rolls in FoxHimself's post, bathes in it, licks it, sniffs it*

Btw, is that '80s joke referring to Thanatos? Also, how many chapters so far?

Bentles

Assuming I remember the maths correctly...15p3...so thats only 2730 to try if we were to use brute force (not that ever permutation is valid of course)...that is assuming the AR mode doesn't look for anything on the card as well otherwise its no use.

If each of those gaps can be one of 3 colours then the first (let's say the top left) has 3 possibilities and for each of those the next one (2nd left at the top) has 3... so that's 3*3 and for each of those 9 the next has 3 so 3*3*3... and so on until you get 3^15 = 14 348 907 different patterns. I assume they're grouping some colours together to make them easier to read so those are more favourable combinations of colours.

And that was useless information I now realise.

I wonder... when you covered up parts of the card, did you just stick your hand over it? Because I think possibly the game would need to see the whole card, and then within the card a specific image/symbol. What if you just, say, put a coin over the image? Or the thing(s) at the bottom?

I'll try.

Have the hands-cramps faded/controls grown on you?

The controls have grown on me, but not so much that it's okay. I'd still say the ground controls are definitely the games Achilles's heel.

More fantastic dialogue (from a Space Pirate!):

*rambling in alien language*
Pit: "What's he saying?"
Palutena: "It's like YARRRR! I BE MAKING YOU WALK THE SPACE PLANK!"
Pit: "Oh man, not the SPACE PLANK!"

The vistas in the game are fantastic, but I'm not completely blown away by the game visually. It's more fantastic like in, say, Xenoblade than in Uncharted, if you know what I mean.

And the framerate is rock solid.

Mpl90

I'll try.

The controls have grown on me, but not so much that it's okay. I'd still say the ground controls are definitely the games Achilles's heel.

More fantastic dialogue (from a Space Pirate!):

*rambling in alien language*
Pit: "What's he saying?"
Palutena: "It's like YARRRR! I BE MAKING YOU WALK THE SPACE PLANK!"
Pit: "Oh man, not the SPACE PLANK!"

The vistas in the game are fantastic, but I'm not completely blown away by the game visually. It's more fantastic like in, say, Xenoblade than in Uncharted, if you know what I mean.

And the framerate is rock solid.

Good that it's solid. But it's 60 fps like Mario Kart or 30 fps like 3D Land?

WatTsu

Preordered this game based primarily on the excitement in this thread. Plus, I wanted to get me some of that 3D Classics Kid Icarus.

Between this thread and other threads making me pick up WWE '12 and Skylanders NeoGAF is playing hardball with my finances.

Neiteio

So FoxHimself, you've encountered Space Pirates. Based on previews I've read, it sounds like you're around Chapter 8? Has there been a boss encounter at the end of each level so far? Any bosses you hadn't seen in prerelease footage? (Bosses seen in footage are Twinbellows, Dark Lord Gaol, Hewdraw, Great Reaper, Pandora, Thanatos, Dark Pit and Space Kraken.)

NeoRausch

I... don't know...

I want to say 60, but damn, Mario Land 3D was pretty smooth as well.

One bazillion FPS.
One bazillion FPS? Is that with our without the CPP? :3

I'm not to keen for the multiplayer myself. But two questions:

1. Are there archievments?
2. You said there is a challengewall, like in SSBB. So you unlock stuff with that? Does it say what you need to do to unlock?

thanks for the awesome impressions so far.

Lausebub

Banned
Just preordered the game as well. I definitely don't have the same hype level as with Mario 3DL or Skyward Sword, but that's probably because I don't know a lot about the title. I know the basic gameplay and watchet a trailer or two and that's it. I'm surprised about me managing to resist getting myself spoiled all over again. I'm sure the game is going to be a lot more fun now. :)

Tyeforce

I think this is the most hyped I've ever been for a game since Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Now I wish there was a Kid Icarus DOJO!! :( Though I guess the Twitter updates are similar, but they're not the same...

Darryl

Banned
that medusa short on 3ds video was really gorgeous in 3D. curious as to why they've hired two different studios to make those videos

Mpl90

I just got turned into a deep fried snack and eaten. "Well, I guess it's a step up from being turned into an eggplant".

You...you just emcountered THE REAL KING OF EVERY WORLD, THE TEMPURA WIZARD!!!

Top Bottom