• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow plays Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Are those quoted comments above something Blow really said...? I haven't watched the video.

And, what is the Belda fallacy? Never heard of it.

Hindl

Combat and weapon durability are design choices and are not 'actual flaws', as if they were bugs or something. Some people don't like those design choices, some people do. Any thread about BOTW on NeoGAF would show you that there is absolutely no consensus.

Although I do wish people would stop going on about weapon durability- it would basically be a totally different game without it, it's as integral to BOTW as being able to climb.

I love those systems, but they should've tweaked it more. Things simply break too fast. Early game this is fine, but late game if I have a powerful weapon, I'd expect it to last more than 1 fight. Late game lynels I'll often go through 3 or 4 weapons to beat them, and then I get back one weapon at best. There's no reward for fighting that lynel, in fact it's harmful to do so. And the combat can become pretty repetitive since higher-leveled enemies simply become damage sponges instead of having the AI get smarter or giving them different abilities. This adds up to making combat pretty much not worth it toward the end of the game unless you absolutely have to, since it's usually a negative sum result. You'll end up breaking more weapons than you get back. Basically, the foundation is good and I love the interplay between the systems, and I agree the game would be totally different without it, but the execution could've been better.
Are those quoted comments above something Blow really said...? I haven't watched the video.

If this game was called The Legend of Belda no one would care about it. It's the argument that games in long-running franchises get passes because people have nostalgia and love for the franchise, and if said game released as a new IP people wouldn't rate it as highly

Inventory management is the only real agreed flaw I'd say, so many possible QoL changes that can be made.

Yeah definitely. The most annoying thing for me is being able to drop melee weapons without opening the menus, but not being able to drop other weapons or shields without pausing the game.

Aldric

I watched this morning and I knew he wasn't going to like it. Really enjoyed watching him antiplay it and I sent my friend some of the highlights:

rofl

Thanks for the summary, that's kind of amazing. DarkSydeJon indeed.

Plum

Basically it's a lazy way of downplaying a Zelda game's good scores by saying something similar to "If it were called The Legend of Belda..."

Charamiwa

Banned

It's a popular trollish saying towards Zelda/Nintendo games' critical reception. "If this game was called The Legend of Belda (so not a Zelda game), it wouldn't be loved as much".

Col.Asher

The Belda fallacy goes like this for any zelda game, "If it was called the Legend of Belda it would not score and/or sell as high as it did."
BotW just doesn't fit with what he likes, though complaining about the scores it got is silly.

Yogg

I'm not saying he has to agree on EVERYTHING, just that I've actually never heard him speak about any game that isn't his in a positive manner.

Him raving about Stephen's Sausage Rolls is probably responsible for at least half the PR the game got. I guess he's just very specific in what he likes in games. And that's fine.

Mael

I love those systems, but they should've tweaked it more. Things simply break too fast. Early game this is fine, but late game if I have a powerful weapon, I'd expect it to last more than 1 fight. Late game lynels I'll often go through 3 or 4 weapons to beat them, and then I get back one weapon at best. There's no reward for fighting that lynel, in fact it's harmful to do so. And the combat can become pretty repetitive since higher-leveled enemies simply become damage sponges instead of having the AI get smarter or giving them different abilities. This adds up to making combat pretty much not worth it toward the end of the game unless you absolutely have to, since it's usually a negative sum result. You'll end up breaking more weapons than you get back. If they played with it more and tweaked some things it could've gone better.

Contrarian opinion :
bows don't break fast enough.
Weapons usually break predictably and can indeed be a pain if you fight a lot of monsters.
Bows? that shit last forever and you can kill something like 3 Lynels and 2 cyclops by the time 1 break up!
Considering each of these monsters drop 1 bow each :/
I'm swimming in bows!

It's a popular trollish saying towards Zelda/Nintendo games' critical reception. "If this game was called The Legend of Belda (so not a Zelda game), it wouldn't be loved as much".
Would the Witness have been as successful had it not been promoted as being a game made by the dude who made Braid?

Servbot24

Banned
When someone admonishes others for "not enjoying the game in the right way" or "not understanding why the game is good" I think it's fair play to call them pretentious. Going almost as far as calling everyone stupid for not understanding his genius.

Ironically that's what people are saying to him in regards to BotW in this thread,

Jeff-DSA

I learned long ago not to care for Blow's opinions on games. He just doesn't seem to be a very good gamer, and that really matters if you're going to be offering opinion on a game. He's a good designer, but his ego and skillset prevent him from being a worthwhile critic.

Hindl

Contrarian opinion :
Weapons usually break predictably and can indeed be a pain if you fight a lot of monsters.
Bows? that shit last forever and you can kill something like 3 Lynels and 2 cyclops by the time 1 break up!
I'm swimming in bows!

Also true. I guess those should break more often to counteract everything else breaking so quickly. Again, love the concept and how it interplays with everything else, the execution just could've been better. Didn't take away from the game too much for me though, I'm just more excited about improvements in a sequel

Alebrije

sIXuehfTOiUzasZLKiuSQQ4YJMS2DD0bFT6Mk7Pcm3urH8pdfEpbTcXzOvxx7lGG4QN8VO2LZVv3-8ur-b_ll5YFy2LjpUkpcNdsBEZF-lW6=w320-h180-nc

Hindl

So who is jonathan blow?
Is he a content creator?
He made Braid and The Witness. He was one of the original stars of the indie development scene when that got going last generation. Similar tier of developer to Phil Fish in that he created a puzzle game by himself that was smart and subversive and really blew up. As you can see by this thread, he has opinions about games that not everyone appreciates

MisterR

I really like BOTW, but I also like people being able to have different opinions and I find it interesting to watch someone like Blow play stuff and kind of see how he reacts to it.

Makai

Him raving about Stephen's Sausage Rolls is probably responsible for at least half the PR the game got. I guess he's just very specific in what he likes in games. And that's fine.
It makes perfect sense that he's disappointed by the puzzles coming from Sausage Roll, or really any competent puzzle game. People comparing Breath of the Wild's shrines to the games he's made should be insulting.

Blow is a fantastic game designer. He's also about as far as you can get from the target audience for >90% of games that get made.

He made Braid and The Witness. He was one of the original stars of the indie development scene when that got going last generation. Similar tier of developer to Phil Fish in that he created a puzzle game by himself that was smart and subversive and really blew up. As you can see by this thread, he has opinions about games that not everyone appreciates

Phil Fish playthrough of BotW would be really interesting considering this game deviance to traditional 3D Zelda.

RedFury

I really like BOTW, but I also like people being able to have different opinions and I find it interesting to watch someone like Blow play stuff and kind of see how he reacts to it.
Watching people react to blow reacting to BotW is almost as fun.

zelas

Combat and weapon durability are design choices and are not 'actual flaws', as if they were bugs or something. Some people don't like those design choices, some people do. Any thread about BOTW on NeoGAF would show you that there is absolutely no consensus.

Although I do wish people would stop going on about weapon durability- it would basically be a totally different game without it, it's as integral to BOTW as being able to climb.
People are using flaw in the sense of something that can sour an experience. It's subjective criticism, unlike bugs which are objectively problematic. Design choices can absolutely do that. The obvious example of such are devs choosing fidelity over 60/locked fps.

SomTervo

It's not about being his bag or not, it's about being painfully bad at playing games. It is surreal to see the guy struggle that much to do basic actions, Pro mode or not.

I don't really see how that's relevant.

It's entirely about this not being his bag. Blow is into games where progression is 100% an intellectual exercise. Games where there is one core mechanic or system that is explored as deeply as possible and in as many varieties as possible.

Zelda is pretty much the opposite of what he's interested in.

Blow is a fantastic game designer. He's also about as far as you can get from the target audience for >90% of games that get made.

Precisely

RedFury

Hmm well loved both games
Didnt knew he is as bad as dsp
He's blunt and people perceive it as negative. I don't see it that way, he just makes a bullet list. It's like telling a woman she has saggy boobs. Wasn't meant to be negative just a factual observation that was then stated. Boobed woman (Zelda fans) then punches you in the face (I'm sorry marathon watched DBS last night).

If Arin Hanson can play the Great Plateau in Pro Mode during a live session of Game Grumps and learn the visual cues of the world but you can't, then this game just isn't for you.
Yeah, was just about to say that based on that rough transcription of the vid above your post, it sounds like Game Grumps, but even Game Grumps cleared this game a lot faster than I thought they would.

This seems like it's on a whole other level. Feel like the dude made Braid, then from then until now during the development of The Witness, he hasn't had time to play anything else or something and is completely inexperienced when it comes to any games that aren't his own.

I love his games. The Witness is probably my favorite puzzle game of all-time. But this feels way too much like he came into the game wanting to dislike it.

Contrarian opinion :
I'm swimming in bows!
I mean, how often you use the bow? It won't break frequently if you don't rely on it.

Caelus

I have my own problems with the game but discussions seem to rarely address them, instead focusing on pedantry like there being little tutorials and weapon durability (I mean, I get it, but I'm also swimming in Royal and Lynel weapons at this point so eh)

Haven't seen this stream but judging from the excerpts I'm not sure I want to. At some point I'd like to do a write up or a video essay of my constructive criticism of this game (but why I still adore it), though maybe I'll wait to finish it in Master Mode.

Blow is into games where progression is 100% an intellectual exercise.

And yet it took him like 10 minutes to do the magnesis tutorial and he couldn't understand that you can't use magnesis on ROCKS

hmmm

No one would care if he had interesting, nuanced things to say about the game, but he went into it with the attitude of a petulant child and just proceeded to dump all over everything before he had even figured out 1% of the game. It was a fucking embarrassment to be honest.

Marcel

Finally had a moment to skim the video and wow those DSP comparisons are absolutely fair. Blow cannot play a game that isn't his own apparently.

ghibli99

I watched this morning and I knew he wasn't going to like it. Really enjoyed watching him antiplay it and I sent my friend some of the highlights:
This actually cracked me up at times reading it (in a sad sort of way, mainly)... but not enough to sit through the video. :) Thanks for the summary!

RedFury

Yeah, was just about to say that based on that rough transcription of the vid above your post, it sounds like Game Grumps, but even Game Grumps cleared this game a lot faster than I thought they would.

This seems like it's on a whole other level. Feel like the dude made Braid, then from then until now during the development of The Witness, he hasn't had time to play anything else or something and is completely inexperienced when it comes to any games that aren't his own.

I love his games. The Witness is probably my favorite puzzle game of all-time. But this feels way too much like he came into the game wanting to dislike it.

Or just had different tastes or philosophy on what puzzles should be like, make you feel like, etc. Maybe. That eureka moment I had playing both braid and witness I've never experience an any other game. I'll try SSR since i already own it and hear how good it is quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom