• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Lair **New** "HD" clips

Madman

Mononofu said:
I'm kind of surprised F5 used CG footage for some of their cut scenes, they usually do everything in engine.
Perhaps I missed it, but when was that confirmed to be CG?

Mononofu

Madman said:
Perhaps I missed it, but when was that confirmed to be CG?

No watch the trailers, its a few seconds of CGI footage in there.

Edit: Specifically the gamers day trailer, see the dragons at the 00:33 mark?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Deepblue said:
It's factor 5's "alpha," but considering they only have 2/3 months left to get it to a final, I suspect they're alpha is far more advanced than most games' alpha builds.
Again, we don't know when it went alpha in the first place.

Kaching said the particle system in this game is very weak so don't expect them to overhaul the fire effects. What additions will the make to the engine between now and when the game ships is anyone's guess (improved frame rate, optimizing the engine etc)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
Kaching said the particle system in this game is very weak
:lol Not quite. I just pointed out they're using the same basic type of particle effects for fire, explosions, dust, water spray. I don't know if that renders their particle system "weak", just bland.

Deepblue said:
They're showing the alpha build now...
Which says nothing about when they finalized the alpha build.

Thanks for that gif mckmas. I'm pretty confident in saying that characters armor is more detailed than in GeoW or Mass Effect, or most other games out there. Also textures on the ground and building, up close, are pretty much on par with GeoW.

Factor 5 is truly powerful when it comes to technology, streaming textures and progressive mesh make the game look amazing on both micro and macro levels.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Ynos Yrros said:
Thanks for that gif mckmas. I'm pretty confident in saying that characters armor is more detailed than in GeoW or Mass Effect, or most other games out there. Also textures on the ground and building, up close, are pretty much on par with GeoW.

Factor 5 is truly powerful when it comes to technology, streaming textures and progressive mesh make the game look amazing on both micro and macro levels.

Yeah it's crazy what they are doing in such a huge world. I wonder how long the game will be.

Oni Jazar

Seeing the guy running around the ground makes me wish there was melee fighting... But then I remember I wished the same thing when Rogue Squadron came out and when Rogue Leader included ground combat I think we all regreted it.

Still I'd love to walk around and bash people with a mace then jump on my dragon and cook their corpse.

mckmas8808

Oni Jazar said:
Still I'd love to walk around and bash people with a mace then jump on my dragon and cook their corpse.

Yeah me too. :)

I'd like to walk around in this huge world and just explore and do nothing. I did it in SoTC all the time.

Ploid 3.0

That guy wouldn't last 3mins solo unless he was Kratos, or doing a stealth segment. We know how people love stealth in their epic dragon wrath games. Well, could be good if you fell off your dragon and landed in a no fly zone. I guess

belvedere

Junior Butler
The detail from 20,000 ft is just as amazing as it is on the ground. The thought of a FPS/Flight action title (done right) using this engine really makes the mind wander. I was honestly hoping that Warhawk would implement such gameplay. I guess we can hope that maybe we'll see more ground interaction in a sequel, or a completely different IP. Hell, F5 could make some serious bank sharing this technology with other devs.

Ceb

Very nice cloth dynamics on the main character. I'd actually like to see some small on-foot parts in the missions. It doesn't have to be like Rogue Leader - for instance, you could get knocked off your dragon by a giant monster in a cutscene. Quickly, you escape into a large deserted building complex or tunnel system. You don't encounter any enemies there, but the large monster shows up to stalk you in a GoWII Colossus of Rhodes fashion. Eventually, you find your way out and end up on a giant bridge, where the giant monster finds you and it seems as if you're toast... but your dragon swoops down from the skies and rescues you, enabling you to finish the fight.

There, that would make for some nice variety and a chance for Factor 5 to impress us with some close-up interior designs.

mckmas8808

belvedere said:
Hell, F5 could make some serious bank sharing this technology with other devs.

They already are within SCEWWS. Other Sony devs will probably get to use this engine if they want too.

Ploid 3.0

Ceb said:
Very nice cloth dynamics on the main character. I'd actually like to see some small on-foot parts in the missions. It doesn't have to be like Rogue Leader - for instance, you could get knocked off your dragon by a giant monster in a cutscene. Quickly, you escape into a large deserted building complex or tunnel system. You don't encounter any enemies there, but the large monster shows up to stalk you in a GoWII Colossus of Rhodes fashion. Eventually, you find your way out and end up on a giant bridge, where the giant monster finds you and it seems as if you're toast... but your dragon swoops down from the skies and rescues you, enabling you to finish the fight.

There, that would make for some nice variety and a chance for Factor 5 to impress us with some close-up interior designs.

Hah that would be darn awesome. + you'd be scared because of the vast amount of creatures that can kill you with your limited protection. Would be like a survival horror. Would make you appreciate your dragon.

mckmas8808

Ceb said:

They did say some of those things would happen.

Kittonwy

Banned
I wonder if he'll have that armor on throughout the whole game or he'll change into a different outfit.
Indifferent2.gif

nib95

Banned
At the end of the in-depth video I like how the lead director says

"Buy all 3 systems. Don't be angry that were working with Sony this time round. Buy a PS3 and enjoy the game"

:p

Ceb said:

Ya I was thinking the same thing :) Maybe Factor 5 don't have enough time develop solid on-foot gameplay mechanics? Or maybe they want to put the focus on the dragons. All I know is hijacking a horse GTA style would be awesome.

Menaged

After watching the new vids, all I have to say is WOW!
The graphics, the massive scale, the Music (!!) - Everything looks great, even the gameplay looks really fun.

nib95

Banned
belvedere said:
"In Depth" interview.

Good lord, is this something new and unrelated to the 3 part interview?

It's pretty much repeated footage, though there are a few new tibits, like when the guy attaches his chain to the enemy dragons chest, and then when he flies past it, drags his chain blade through it's neck and tears the neck in half! Awesomely gruesome stuff!

what is with this pointless bickering? Both games will improve when they are released.

Different companies have different meanings for "alpha versions." For bungine it's no high res textures and zero effects and for factor 5 it's wonky frame rates

Doom_Bringer said:
what is with this pointless bickering? Both games will improve when they are released.

Different companies have different meanings for "alpha versions." For bungine it's no high res textures and zero effects and for factor 5 it's wonky frame rates

eh? You should know something about 'pointless bickering'.

Anyway, I was just addressing to him, since he obviously seems to apply special critical attention to this game (and other ps3 games)

peace

InterMoniker said:
Ya I was thinking the same thing :) Maybe Factor 5 don't have enough time develop solid on-foot gameplay mechanics? Or maybe they want to put the focus on the dragons. All I know is hijacking a horse GTA style would be awesome.

that horse looks like the horse in kameo, same detail too, theres probably hundreds of them too

nelsonroyale said:
that horse looks like the horse in kameo, same detail too, theres probably hundreds of them too
Probably. I don't think they've had horses is any of the gameplay clips yet though.

I've never played Kameo.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
InterMoniker said:
Ya I was thinking the same thing :) Maybe Factor 5 don't have enough time develop solid on-foot gameplay mechanics? Or maybe they want to put the focus on the dragons.

Or maybe Sony put them in touch with the Warhawk team. I kid, I kid.

Looks like they have a decent ground component, but chose to focus on aerial combat for obvious reasons. I mean, you have command of a dragon. Why land but for a brief snack for your steed or to nab a new toy to play with and then toss into the teaming ocean?

urk said:
Or maybe Sony put them in touch with the Warhawk team. I kid, I kid.

Looks like they have a decent ground component, but chose to focus on aerial combat for obvious reasons. I mean, you have command of a dragon. Why land but for a brief snack for your steed or to nab a new toy to play with and then toss into the teaming ocean?
Hahaha true true :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If there's one thing that irks me in Lair's visuals, other than it's questionable fire effects (they sometimes look good IMO, but sometimes look worse than in some PS2 games), it's the way they render grass. In some of the videos it looks so bad that's I'd prefer the effect was removed altogether and replaced with cobblestone or some other surface they render really well. This method worked well in Motorstorm as you're mostly going forward so the grass patches don't feel out of place, and there aren't that many of them, but in Lair, you seem to often have to rotate around in place, and the grass just looks weird when that happens, and there's so much of it, and yet not enough I guess to be convincingly fooling the eye. When you're rotating around it looks like a broken diorama or something, it definitely doesn't go well with realistic look they have on everything else. Kameo picture already shows better looking grass IMO (even though it's a same exact technique), not to mention the way it was done even last gen in MGS3.

spwolf

holy smokes, someone has complained about not info known about upcoming games, well hell, we not have 10+ vids of Lair to watch :)

why do they want me to spend my hard earned money? evil, evil, evil people :lol

spwolf

and Julian is awesome:
"Buy all 3 systems, all are awesome. Please do not be angry at us for doing this on PS3"

:lol

f@luS

More than a member.
Raist said:
That's a joke, right ?

kameo_02.jpg

This one's of the most retarded area i have ever see in a game
It really feels like bowling there. i hope and think lair aint the same at all lol

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
spwolf said:
and Julian is awesome:
"Buy all 3 systems, all are awesome. Please do not be angry at us for doing this on PS3"

:lol
Well theres gotta be some fans a little angry they switched sides. :lol

Oni Jazar

mckmas8808 said:
They already are within SCEWWS. Other Sony devs will probably get to use this engine if they want too.

You're telling me that anyone within Sony can just use their engine? I doubt it.

Great news if true however. Sad fact that visually Gamecube never surpassed the Rogue Squadron games. If only Factor 5 would have shared some of their knowledge.

Top Bottom