• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza KIWAMI |OT| Translator's Note: "KIWAMI" means "EXTREME"

MYeager

Regarding that Ch. 11(?) scene with
Majima
at the dock,
what is up with Kiryu leaving Majima to possibly die in the ocean? Majima just helped him defeat a squad of yakuza and yet Kiryu doesn't have time to even check if he's dead? Seemed really against Kiryu's personality. Was this scene from the PS2 original?

Nope. It was added in
I'm assuming because you fight him a lot after he gets stabbed in the batting cage scene and he's a-ok, however in a later plot scene he's bandaged up from being stabbed so they needed him to get stabbed again before then to try and seem consistent I guess?

Yeah, this scene sucked.
It wasn't in the PS2 original, basically they needed to have Majima injured to explain why he was bandaged up in his second story boss fight, however I guess they figured that it made no sense that Majima would have been fighting Kiryu tons of times in the last few chapters via the Majima Anywhere system so they needed to tack on an extra scene to re-explain his injury.

To be honest, I found BOTH scenes to be kind of strange and weird, but I only just got past the second half of this interaction so maybe it gets explained later.
Because otherwise, I have no idea why Majima just drives a truck right through the doors of Shangri-La, messes some people up, and then just... leaves?

Shin-Ra

Thread worthy?

https://youtu.be/PMzfy-OvO3o?t=5m26s

I lost my shit when I saw Goro's voice actor doing his shtick in real life studio.
K85NjfL.gif
Kiryu-chan!

To be honest, I found BOTH scenes to be kind of strange and weird, but I only just got past the second half of this interaction so maybe it gets explained later.
Because otherwise, I have no idea why Majima just drives a truck right through the doors of Shangri-La, messes some people up, and then just... leaves?

I mean, the guy is nuts. I didn't really need any extra explanation. I just thought he wanted to make a grand entrance!

Cess007

One moment I'm helping a perverted man buy used underwear from a girl.
The next, I'm helping a man and his son have a heart-to-heart talk about the kid's future
Then, I'm helping a man stuck in a bathroom without toilet paper and with a weak stomach
Finally, I'm helping Date-san to save her daughter from a gang

I just love the Yakuza series.

Recall

I never finished Yakuza 3 or Zero. Yakuza 4 I loved to pieces granted it was my first Yakuza game.

Yakuza Kiwami is magnificent so far. I'm only like 3 hours in but I just love the way the yakuza games tell their stories, always so dramatic and intriguing and this has been no different.

Can't wait to play more.

RPGCrazied

Not bumping a three year old thread, the Yakuza 3 thread. But I'm on chapter 4 and still not a one sub story found. Are they hard to find this time?

pa22word

Not bumping a three year old thread, the Yakuza 3 thread. But I'm on chapter 4 and still not a one sub story found. Are they hard to find this time?

Just fyi there's a Yakuza community thread over in Gaming Community you could go crash if you want more entry by entry help. I think a lot here won't be of much help because they're coming off of Kiwami and Zero instead of playing the entire series, so you might have better luck over there. Good luck! I've never played Y3 so idk =\

3 has a slow start, I forget exactly which chapter the side stories start opening up on but that doesn't sound all that odd for the moment. Best thing I can recommend (especially as some side stories can be failed/missed) is to use the FAQ by "ThePatrick" on Gamefaqs. Its brilliant, helped me through a couple of tough spots when looking for a couple of the side stories. Also keep in mind some side stories listed in said guide won't be in the copy your playing - unless your playing the Japanese version of 3. The English translation hacked out a whole load of content from mini games to side stories, so some of what is mentioned in the guide won't apply to the English release.

Cess007

I spent the last 3 hours doing nothing but substories.

I don't know what these games have, but I just can play for hours and not get tired.(something that doesn't happen with any other game; after a couple of hrs, I always get tired no matter what I'm playing and turn off the console)

I've like 15hrs and I've barely touche the story missions on this chapter.

pa22word

I spent the last 3 hours doing nothing but substories.

I don't know what these games have, but I just can play for hours and not get tired.(something that doesn't happen with any other game; after a couple of hrs, I always get tired no matter what I'm playing and turn off the console)

I've like 15hrs and I've barely touche the story missions on this chapter.

This series is seriously weird in that I almost have to force myself to sit down and play the games at times because I'm always telling myself "ugh you're just going to be bogged down with a thousand pointless sidequests just play something else", then I finally drag myself around to play it and have a total blast doing it. It's weird. I think crap like Ubisoft games and Bethesda games have warped me a bit to side content and now I sort of gag reflexively at the thought of doing it even if it ends up being fun in the end.

I ended up putting like 75 hours into 0 and am like 25 hours into this, and despite the ugh feeling when booting it up I never leave the games feeling like I wasted my time playing them.

Well, finished the main story at about 48 hours. Only 41 side stories complete and hardly touched the minigames.

The penultimate battle with Jengu and MIA forces felt a bit antiquated. More tedious than fun, especially with all the guns (though not as bad as that other gun battle). The final battle with Nishiki was pretty good, more so due to the history between the two characters than the fight itself, but it was fun. (most fun I had in a fight, with the runner-up being the Ali brothers)

The scene where Haruka jumps in front of Kiryu and then Yumi jumps in front of her was really badly done. The way it was framed and the surprise reveal of Yumi made it look like one of the jokey side stories, it really didn't convey the impact of the scene, though the idea itself was kind of dumb. Despite that, it was still pretty sad when Yumi died (and Nishiki too), even though for both of them it was very expected.

Everything to do with Nishiki had a lot more impact for me coming from Zero as my first Yakuza. I wonder if they would have written him out of the story if they had done Zero first. Kiryu and Nishiki had a great bond in Zero and it's a shame that it had to be thrown away. Same with Reina. Speaking of, it's a bit creepy that Premium Adventure puts you in Serena with no one there.

Ultimately, I could really feel the bones of the PS2 game in Kiwami. It was enjoyable, but it also felt a bit threadbare and antiquated. Let's just say I'm very glad it was $30 and not more.

Majima Everywhere was IMO an okay idea, but a bad execution. The scripted sequences with him were really good, but the surprise fights on the street became frustrating.

I'm going to finish up some more of the stories and then go back to Zero to finish up all the stuff I haven't there. The Majima system doesn't really make me want to spend much time in Kiwami Premium mode.

p.s. version 1.04 just came out, adding Fun Pack 2.

pa22word

^^^Ultimately, I think it's best to look at Kiwami as a 30$ endgame expansion pack to zero rather than its own game. Even though it is a remake of 1, I would not recommend playing it without having played 0 first at all. The huge difficulty spike alone makes it a decent addon type experience, if you dig the combat.

It's kind of strange that they removed the ability to invite hostesses to karaoke, pool, and darts, which was in Zero. Having to go to their club first each time and then invite them on a date is just way too much hassle. Premium Adventure just isn't as fun as Zero's. I wish you could turn off Majima Everywhere at least. Hard to relax when he's still popping up everywhere.

Sidenote: the Yakuza Zero engine doesn't get enough praise for its animation. So many games have bad foot animation on uneven ground, but Kiryu's steps always look pretty realistic. For example, go to Bar Serena and have Kiryu walk up to the edge of the platform where the bar stools are. He should rest one leg on the platform and one off. Really well done.

anyone know if new content was released in the update?

Yes.
Kiwami Fun Pack 2 (September 19)

Black Suit – Kiryu’s black suit outfit
Toughness Infinity – Stamina/health recovery item
Tauriner Maximum – Stamina/health recovery item
Staminan Spark – Stamina/health recovery item
Marlin Cannon – Hand-held cannon
Platinum Plate – Sell for cash item

The next one coming out is

Kiwami Street Pack 2 (September 26)

Snake Skin Jacket – Majima’s Outfit
Killer Bee – Pocket Circuit car
Godspeed Motor – Pocket Circuit part
Super Slim Tires – Pocket Circuit part
Godspeed Gears Plus – Pocket Circuit part
New Bumper Plate – Pocket Circuit part
Sacrifice Stone – Item that protects against death once

ZoronMaro

Hey guys finally opened up my copy yesterday and got through the first 5 or so chapters (the game is finally letting me do minigames, but I was disappointed I couldn't play Virtua Fighter in Club Sega)

So I had a question in regards to the combat in Yakuza, mainly I always heard it was supposed to be relatively easy? I'm pretty decent at action games, but I'm not really looking for a challenge either so I went for normal and as soon as I lost all my upgrades from jail all combat became, really pretty hard.

I get Majima is obviously supposed to be difficult, so that didn't bother me, but then the thug immediately after him just seemed like such a damage sponge and still gave me a lot of trouble. The fight at the host club took multiple attempts, but I put that on me as just needing to pay more attention to all the enemies and block. Then the boss fight at the end of
the funeral
I finally had enough and switched it to easy and STILL had trouble, mostly because he wouldn't stop grabbing me, but any time I tried to grab him he instantly countered before I could do anything. Not to mention I couldn't figure out how to do the Kiwami moves to stop him from regaining his health.

So at the very least I must have missed something with the Kiwami moves (I had heat, but none of the styles gave the option to do the move), but I also feel I must be missing something in regards to grabs and other general combat things, because I really didn't expect the game to be nearly this hard. I'm switching to new styles every time I have trouble to see if maybe the other styles would work as a good counter, but I'm still getting bounced around like a jobber.

Do people have general tips? Is there a guide somewhere I can use? It's not that I mind the difficulty it's just really not what I expected, maybe I just suck way more than I thought.

tigerin

Hey guys finally opened up my copy yesterday and got through the first 5 or so chapters (the game is finally letting me do minigames, but I was disappointed I couldn't play Virtua Fighter in Club Sega)

So I had a question in regards to the combat in Yakuza, mainly I always heard it was supposed to be relatively easy? I'm pretty decent at action games, but I'm not really looking for a challenge either so I went for normal and as soon as I lost all my upgrades from jail all combat became, really pretty hard.

I get Majima is obviously supposed to be difficult, so that didn't bother me, but then the thug immediately after him just seemed like such a damage sponge and still gave me a lot of trouble. The fight at the host club took multiple attempts, but I put that on me as just needing to pay more attention to all the enemies and block. Then the boss fight at the end of
the funeral
I finally had enough and switched it to easy and STILL had trouble, mostly because he wouldn't stop grabbing me, but any time I tried to grab him he instantly countered before I could do anything. Not to mention I couldn't figure out how to do the Kiwami moves to stop him from regaining his health.

So at the very least I must have missed something with the Kiwami moves (I had heat, but none of the styles gave the option to do the move), but I also feel I must be missing something in regards to grabs and other general combat things, because I really didn't expect the game to be nearly this hard. I'm switching to new styles every time I have trouble to see if maybe the other styles would work as a good counter, but I'm still getting bounced around like a jobber.

Do people have general tips? Is there a guide somewhere I can use? It's not that I mind the difficulty it's just really not what I expected, maybe I just suck way more than I thought.

I find using brawler style to be easier against thugs and some bosses. Block when you're getting hit to gain heat. Kiryu also ignores the enemies punch if you hit back.

As for the heat action for Kiwami moves. You need to unlock it in the abilities circle. It should be called climax heat action. You have to unlock it for each style.

the funeral

The chapter 3 boss is just horrible, because he's a damage sponge and this is before the game really opens up and you can buy useful combat upgrades. The same applies to a lesser exted to some of the other fights prior to this.

The Kiwami moves for each style actually have to be purchased, I think they are under the Soul category somewhere in the southern section.

Unlike 0, where you can just ignore all the sidecontent if you want (Though why would you.) I highly recommend to do a bunch sidestories, fight Majima lots of time etc. as soon as the game opens up, because you're really underpowered at the beginning of this game and you want to change this asap. Not only your moveset, but your damage output is extremely limited early on.

Honestly, I'm usually not into New Game+, it's like, yeah it's nice that it's there, but I'd rather start from scratch. This however is one of the very few games I can't see myself starting with a clean slate again.

Always use rush for bosses. Bob and weave, then dodge behind him when he attacks. Punch him. Heat should build up fast.

My tactic with slugger/knife Majima is similar, but when I sidestep around as he's doing a combo I'll switch to Brawler and pummel him with some free hits. Then back to Rush, and repeat.

Fully upgraded Rush mode makes those knife fights pretty fun.

As for the heat action for Kiwami moves. You need to unlock it in the abilities circle. It should be called climax heat action. You have to unlock it for each style.

How do you unlock the Dragon climax move, do you have to go through the whole skill board to get it?

I was never a big fan of Rush in 0, but it's way more fun and useful here, probably my most used style. Maybe because in this one you don't have to build up and keep your heat to actually dodge and move fast.

ZoronMaro

I find using brawler style to be easier against thugs and some bosses. Block when you're getting hit to gain heat. Kiryu also ignores the enemies punch if you hit back.

The chapter 3 boss is just horrible, because he's a damage sponge and this is before the game really opens up and you can buy useful combat upgrades. The same applies to a lesser exted to some of the other fights prior to this.

The Kiwami moves for each style actually have to be purchased, I think they are under the Soul category somewhere in the southern section.

Unlike 0, where you can just ignore all the sidecontent if you want (Though why would you.) I highly recommend to do a bunch sidestories, fight Majima lots of time etc. as soon as the game opens up, because you're really underpowered at the beginning of this game and you want to change this asap. Not only your moveset, but your damage output is extremely limited early on.

Honestly, I'm usually not into New Game+, it's like, yeah it's nice that it's there, but I'd rather start from scratch. This however is one of the very few games I can't see myself starting with a clean slate again.

Wait, if I have to purchase the Kiwami moves then how do I stop bosses from regaining health? I saw some Kiwami moves in the skill trees, but they were mostly towards the end, I didn't see anything in the inner circles I could have purchased I assumed each style started out with one. So the whole time I thought I was fucking up/forgot the kiwami moves it was actually just that I can't do the Kiwami moves and it's a horrible infuriating boss battle?.

Well at least it's not just me. Thanks for the tips guys.

I was planning on doing all the side content anyway, open world games are terrible for my OCD completionist urges, but what little I tasted of the side-stories were fun, I like the series sense of humor. Still disappointing to hear that I need to essentially grind in an action game

Wait, if I have to purchase the Kiwami moves then how do I stop bosses from regaining health? I saw some Kiwami moves in the skill trees, but they were mostly towards the end, I didn't see anything in the inner circles I could have purchased I assumed each style started out with one. So the whole time I thought I was fucking up/forgot the kiwami moves it was actually just that I can't do the Kiwami moves and it's a horrible infuriating boss battle?.

Well at least it's not just me. Thanks for the tips guys.

I was planning on doing all the side content anyway, open world games are terrible for my OCD completionist urges, but what little I tasted of the side-stories were fun, I like the series sense of humor. Still disappointing to hear that I need to essentially grind in an action game

The Kiwami moves aren't far down the line actually. They're called Essence of Brawler/Rush/etc.

And yeah, the game has some balancing issues.

xclk07

How do you unlock the Dragon climax move, do you have to go through the whole skill board to get it?

Yep. It's one of the last 3 (?) moves on the Dragon board. Have to do a ton of Majima Everywhere to unlock.

I would like to point out, that ANY heat move will knock an enemy out of health regen, it just doesn't do as much dmg as the specific climax moves for that aura.

Yep, once you get sumo slap there's no real reason to go back to the three starting styles. Only problem with dragon style is they gate the second finishing move through heat. Even then you never even have to attack. Just sit there and wait for an attack and counter.

ZoronMaro

The Kiwami moves aren't far down the line actually. They're called Essence of Brawler/Rush/etc.

And yeah, the game has some balancing issues.

After double checking you're right I somehow completely missed them and was looking at heat moves and not kiwami moves.

I would like to point out, that ANY heat move will knock an enemy out of health regen, it just doesn't do as much dmg as the specific climax moves for that aura.

Okay that I didn't know, although that definitely wasn't clear in the tutorial and even if I had known that any attempts to grab him were instantly countered so I'm not sure what heat moves I could have done.

Didn't think I would need to lookup a movelist, but I guess that's where I'm at.

After double checking you're right I somehow completely missed them and was looking at heat moves and not kiwami moves.

Okay that I didn't know, although that definitely wasn't clear in the tutorial and even if I had known that any attempts to grab him were instantly countered so I'm not sure what heat moves I could have done.

Any weapon related Heat move for example.

xezuru

Yep, once you get sumo slap there's no real reason to go back to the three starting styles. Only problem with dragon style is they gate the second finishing move through heat. Even then you never even have to attack. Just sit there and wait for an attack and counter.

I actually found it way better then 0 in terms of Style balancing. The only thing I don't use in endgame now is thug, and the only reason I used it in the original is because Drunken Power +++ that made you do millions of damage, Dragon itself, it's charms and tigerdrop well takes over that roll, but Rush is still used often, you can style switch to rush often when you are otherwise completely trapped in a block string and weave dash out and counter, while the charge kicks still do insane aoe clear and decent counter heats. Beast is also fantastic with two 3-5+ person aoe heats, along with that, even if enemies are immune to normal shit and overagro, you can use lots of tools with resist guard immunity -> heat or rg->grab combo or lots of things like that to get big damage where you couldn't anywhere else.

Maybe in terms of damage that's true, but in my experience so far with the Dragon style it just feels stiff, like the animation and movement is very much of a PS2 game. It could be because I started with Zero and have no nostalgic attachment to the Dragon style, but I much prefer the three new styles. They're just more enjoyable. I love being able to toss around fools in Beast mode, I love the extreme agility of the upgraded Rush style, and I love the impact of punches and the heat moves of Brawler.

I'm at the finale now and
Jingu
is legit one of the worst bosses I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with. After that I've got
Nishiki
with a billion health bars and I'm all out of healing

Can I please get a Yakuza game without guns? The games are all perfectly enjoyable until weapons are introduced and then they fall off a cliff fun wise. Guns are especially bullshit.

8bit

Knows the Score
Anyone have a guide for Pocket Circuit? I think Majima's last move is hidden behind the Majima-GT and I'm having problems beyond the intermediate cup.

Oh, and I've found Majima's Slugger bat very useful for SSS, it breaks pretty much every attack when he appears.

Basarili

Neo Member
My first post on GAF and really looking forward to play this when I'm back from holiday.
I learned so much about the series just by browsing on the pages here.
Started with Yakuza 3 and really loved that even though I see some people disliking it I really loved the father figure they tried to implent into the game.

Top Bottom