• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Cool, got my copy today. Took a pic of the CD & tracklisting:

DJtABOoXcAIA1VR.jpg:large

Also one of the few times I've used the reverse box art on a game.

Bauer91

The frame rate tanks fairly often in the second half of the game on a regular 3DS XL. It's a bummer, probably not an issue on a New 3DS/XL/2DS. The game requires fast and precise movement and shooting, so it gets really uncomfortable after playing for a while.

Besides that, it's pretty great. Areas are designed really well, they are fun to traverse and I'm a fan of the
scanning and getting a marker of where you should be headed in case you're stuck and want it
mechanics that make it the most accassible Metroid game yet.

Maybe you could go in chronological order and play Zero Mission first. Then after beating SR, you can play Super Metroid lol

That's my plan.

I just finished Zero Mission last night. Starting tomorrow I begin Samus Returns. Later the SNES Classic comes out and I play Super Metroid.

On a different note, the lack of the art book in the US is killing me. I'm going to try getting it from ebay after release form across the sea.

Astral Dog

That's my plan.

I just finished Zero Mission last night. Starting tomorrow I begin Samus Returns. Later the SNES Classic comes out and I play Super Metroid.

On a different note, the lack of the art book in the US is killing me. I'm going to try getting it from ebay after release form across the sea.
You can play the Metroid Prime Trilogy between Metroid I and II

You can play the Metroid Prime Trilogy between Metroid I and II

Maybe if I quit my job, yeah haha
I'm aware that's where they fit in and I've played them before but I just don't have the time. Sticking to Metroids 1, 2 & 3 for now. The side views.

Prime series might get another shot before 4 releases.

Pejo

Just remembered this comes out tomorrow, picked up a copy of this and MonHun Stories to play later. I'm so excited for a new 2D Metroid.

forrest

formerly nacire
The frame rate tanks fairly often in the second half of the game on a regular 3DS XL. It's a bummer, probably not an issue on a New 3DS/XL/2DS. The game requires fast and precise movement and shooting, so it gets really uncomfortable after playing for a while.

Besides that, it's pretty great. Areas are designed really well, they are fun to traverse and I'm a fan of the
scanning and getting a marker of where you should be headed in case you're stuck and want it
mechanics that make it the most accassible Metroid game yet.

As someone who still just has an old 3DS XL, I'm pretty bummed to hear this. Really hate performance issues.

Oidisco

Got the game this morning and I'm just getting ready to sit down and play it for the rest of the night. I can't believe I'm actually about to play a new (kinda) 2D Metroid game!!!!

13ruce

Banned
Yes there is. Explanation below if you want to read

Meta Ridley shows up as youre taking the baby back

Thanks sounds good just wanted to know that. Can't wait till tommorow.

Edit: don't read this if you are going in blind huge spoilers.

Morts

Best Buy just shipped the game (but not the amiibo).

If either this or Dishonored show up in time for the weekend I'll be set. Hopefully both though.

Chozoman

Banned
While I appreciate the effort put into this OT...I must resist all media until the game is mine and completed! Then I'll be back. ;)

.la1n

I'm hoping that somehow this arrives before Monday. I should have stuck to my gut and ordered from Best Buy but Prime discount got me.

Been listening to the soundtrack on YouTube all week and it's fucking strong. Not just the arrangements but the sonic quality. In some regards it sounds better than Prime. Better mix at least. A good rich and dynamic mix with plenty of thickness and clarity.

Also, the track titles are major spoilers on Youtube so avoid if you care.

Saiyan-Rox

Extremely fat chance but anyone in the UK seen the metroid amiibo in stock anywhere? :( I knew I should have pre-ordered one ffs

WestEgg

That sounds like bullshit.

They'd have to do a midnight release for NBA Live, and it's not worth their time.

I worked retail for over two years and never heard anything like that from Nintendo. We did midnight launches all the time.

I know they take a hard line against picking games up earlier in the evening before the release date, as Gamestop called me to let me know I could pick up Splatoon 2 after 8pm the day before, then hurriedly called me back and said Nintendo themselves forbade it. But Midnight releases themselves I think are fair game.

Pila

I played one hour so far.

Thanks Amazon for delivering this today, I'm gonna be busy tomorrow and I love being able to play it right now.

I'm no Metroid expert but lemme tell you just one thing: this game is a looker! Fuck watching 3DS stuff on YouTube, it looks great on the actual hardware.

Good thing I have a grip, almost mandatory for a comfy 3DS experience.

Having fun. :)

Toxi

Banned
Thanks sounds good just wanted to know that. Can't wait till tommorow.

Edit: don't read this if you are going in blind huge spoilers.
I accidentally clicked on it while scrolling down on mobile.

:(

Though I kinda expected it, so I don't feel too bad.

kyo2004

So, Amazon just dispatched my copy... Considering that my timeframe for this game was like two weeks after launch, reducing the waiting time to only one week is awesome... :).

Cant wait til tomarrow. 5 months ago I would not of believed a new Metroid game would be coming out this soon in the traditional sidescrolling style.

I wonder how well this will stack up against AM2R.

night814

Got the game today and played for a little over an hour. Liking it a lot but I'm not a huge fan of the melee attack, seems like every encounter with an enemy you have to use it. I'm sure this changes as you get more upgrades just not feeling the mechanic right now.

protonion

Played about 4 hours. I'm at area 3.
The charge attacks and counters do not belong in a Metroid game. They could work better if the enemies didnt do them immediately. Give me some time to shoot normally ffs.
Everything else is great.

Top Bottom